[Q] Does the S5 have FM radio

Search This thread

coinx7

Sep 6, 2010
Mine came with the FM Radio.

So, it would be a great news if you could confirm you had an integrated app for FM radio which is working flawlessly without any data connection
could you?

PS: what's wrong with you guys? what's the big deal about wanting an offline device on th S5? i don't get the point about coming here to explain "no, you don't have to have that". Is it about telling that s5 is missing a spec, something about what they call fanboys??? i really don't get your point :confused:

Airboner

Dec 17, 2013
Lucifer's City
cant everyone have mobile data for internet...like me..
radio fm until 2014 is usefull..
so is any way any dev make us offline radio?
i have H version..

xaznxplaya

Jan 15, 2010
So, it would be a great news if you could confirm you had an integrated app for FM radio which is working flawlessly without any data connection
could you?

PS: what's wrong with you guys? what's the big deal about wanting an offline device on th S5? i don't get the point about coming here to explain "no, you don't have to have that". Is it about telling that s5 is missing a spec, something about what they call fanboys??? i really don't get your point :confused:

The FM Radio requires a data connection, though

PS: Why do you guys need the radio? At home, I have my PC for musics and outside, I have a car so I don't really need it. The only time it could be useful would be at the gym but I got my playlist there.

coinx7

Sep 6, 2010
The FM Radio requires a data connection, though

PS: Why do you guys need the radio? At home, I have my PC for musics and outside, I have a car so I don't really need it. The only time it could be useful would be at the gym but I got my playlist there.

So you don't have fm radio...arf... thank you anyway for the info

For the purpose, google hike'n'fly, think about 200km+ alone, without knowing where you land and how much you'll walk or how many nights you'll camp... sometimes you'll want to hear something more than music, doesn't matter how much music you have

xaznxplaya

Jan 15, 2010
This is what that came with my device.
aja5ygy5.jpg

ynata5es.jpg

Sent from my s5, you Mirin?

BullyTech

Apr 30, 2014
Lets list out some of pro's of having an FM radio.

1) During the event of an emergency, such as tornado or whatnot, internet services and cell-phone towers are down, yet broadcasters continue to broadcast. Good luck getting an internet connection when your town has been devastated, and you're looking for a relief center.

2) Motorcycles. Yes, most, if not all cars have FM radios. Motorcycles do not. When I'm out and about riding my bike, I like to receive live traffic alerts.

3) You may have FM already. Most phones already contain FM radios within a 4-in-1 chip. Broadcom and TI pushed out the majority mobile chips found in phones, and the most common chip is a 4-in-1 that has WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth and FM Radio on a single wafer. So if your phone already has the hardware, why wouldn't you want it enabled?

4) Battery life. The FM radio barely uses any battery whatsoever because it doesn't have to tax the CPU to decode bitstreams. So a benefit of using the FM radio is extended battery life.

5) Phone stays cooler, reference point #4. Less CPU usages means less heat. Meaning you don't have a pocket warmer.

6) Sporting events and broadcasting licensing. Yep, not everything can be streamed (legally) due to license regulations.

7) Smart phones should have everything. You're a nerd/geek/techie and you want everything. Why have limits? Even a laser and ultrasound sensor would be great for measuring distance, temperature and other possibilities.

8) New music exposure

9) Cost of production - Reference point #3, they're already on most chips. And you can buy FM module chips at retail for $1.00, very inexpensive feature for carriers to implement.

10) When your phone becomes so obsolete that not even the WiFi is secure anymore because of weak encryption, well at least your phone has a usable radio!

11) You don't have to use it. You hate anyone else that uses it because you're better than them, so you can exercise your superiority by not using the radio feature. It's always better to over-saturate data providers anyways right? Only the cool kids buffer

---------- Post added at 06:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 AM ----------

Oh, and the S5 does NOT have FM Radio available:

"Our studies show a trend shift of interest to digital broadcasting, specifically – focus on listening to music content in social networks or on the channel YouTube. The flagship model of our products are focused on customers who use digital content, which use modern formats and channels of information consumption. "

They want you to spend more money on data usage.

So on that note, just because DTH, cable & IP televisions are wide spread, should Samsung produce its future TV’s without a tuner for Terrestrial reception? Sounds like a great idea, what could possibly go wrong; especially in a disaster situation.

BullyTech

Apr 30, 2014
mine also has the fm radio, using nextradio from the play store
sprint gs5 here

The screen captures "xaznxplaya" provided is an Internet Radio application -- it requires an internet connection. That is not an FM radio.

We are talking about FM hardware built onto a chip, that tunes terrestrial signals. (Doesn't heavily tax the CPU either, battery friendly). In this year there is no excuse to exclude one, nor to disable it's functionality on mobile devices as some carriers have & continue to do.

SeaFractor

Jun 16, 2011
SeaTac
Having an FM radio that does not require a data connection is necessary to survive the coming zombie apocalypse.

If you have the gear for that, you have the gear for anything.

Centers for Disease Control has a good series of trainings about this topic.
http://www.cdc.gov/phpr/zombies.htm

Ethernet and Wireless is not something you want to be looking for and find not working when surrounded by cadaverous looking blokes wanting to nosh on your brain.

Reactions: fffft

dlinfiniti

Sep 26, 2008
The screen captures "xaznxplaya" provided is an Internet Radio application -- it requires an internet connection. That is not an FM radio.

We are talking about FM hardware built onto a chip, that tunes terrestrial signals. (Doesn't heavily tax the CPU either, battery friendly). In this year there is no excuse to exclude one, nor to disable it's functionality on mobile devices as some carriers have & continue to do.

the sprint variant does indeed have FM radio
it uses this app
http://nextradioapp.com/supported-devices/
http://nextradioapp.com/faq/

sporklover

Nov 12, 2007
Sprint Galaxy S5 has real FM radio. Two screen shots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-30-21-31-10.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-04-30-21-31-10.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 1,480
  • Screenshot_2014-04-30-21-32-20.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-30-21-32-20.png
    235.8 KB · Views: 1,415

BullyTech

Apr 30, 2014
Sprint Galaxy S5 has real FM radio. Two screen shots.

Mind attaching a screen shot of you manually tuning frequencies, perhaps on the tuner tab, and not the pre-defined stations please? Or even better, disable all your wireless communications (turn wifi off, enter airplane mode) and try tuning FM?

I'm still haven't seen any screen shots of anyone manually tuning frequency. The first screen capture showing the headphone notices appears on my LG phone, and it doesn't have an FM chip. More screen shots please! Thank you.

---------- Post added at 06:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 AM ----------

Mind attaching a screen shot of you manually tuning frequencies, perhaps on the tuner tab, and not the pre-defined stations please? Or even better, disable all your wireless communications (turn wifi off, enter airplane mode) and try tuning FM?

I'm still haven't seen any screen shots of anyone manually tuning frequency. The first screen capture showing the headphone notices appears on my LG phone, and it doesn't have an FM chip. More screen shots please! Thank you.

P.S. The second screen shot shows the wifi is on :(

BullyTech

Apr 30, 2014
Example screen shots of me manually tuning Radio and the RDS data on my cheap Alcatel one touch fierce attached.

dlinfiniti

Sep 26, 2008
it doesn't let you tune in airplane mode but I did turn off mobile data

also heres a blurb from the app FAQ webpage from above

Service is dependent on the FM reception in your area and the quality of your data connection. NextRadio uses the FM receiver in your phone to tune to local FM radio stations, so audio quality will suffer if reception is poor. Your data connection is used to deliver radio station details to the Guide and real-time song artwork or broadcast information for stations that use NextRadio’s data service. Real-time updates will slow or pause if your data connection is poor.

Reactions: BullyTech

BullyTech

Apr 30, 2014
it doesn't let you tune in airplane mode but I did turn off mobile data

also heres a blurb from the app FAQ webpage from above

Service is dependent on the FM reception in your area and the quality of your data connection. NextRadio uses the FM receiver in your phone to tune to local FM radio stations, so audio quality will suffer if reception is poor. Your data connection is used to deliver radio station details to the Guide and real-time song artwork or broadcast information for stations that use NextRadio’s data service. Real-time updates will slow or pause if your data connection is poor.

Thank you sooo much dlinfiniti !!! - that is the screen capture we want to see! And that definitely influences my purchasing decisions. I stand corrected and I'm so happy to be corrected. Awesome sauce!

PS - bummer about the airplane mode, mine Alcatel will tune regardless, but it doesn't download any stations details or artwork, it's strictly a tuner software with RDS support.

Thanks again dlinfiniti !

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

Now I need to find out which carriers disable / lockout the FM hardware. Sprint is apparently good, and Verizon is apparently bad -- Verizon locks out this feature according to random internet forums :(

JS_racer

Oct 29, 2011

correct, built in radio on sprint, cable for antenna, no data connection needed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Because not all countries have 3G connections and cheap mobile data plans....

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app
    What's even more funny is how some people still care about phones having FM radios in 2014. :laugh:

What's even more funny is how some people still care why some people care about phones having FM radios in 2014
    Since you can buy a tiny portable FM radio for 5 quid in any electronics shop these days, I don't see the point in wasting my phone's battery on it.

If your phone support FM radio, will you still bring the other portable radio for saving few % battery?

in one day, if all the phones are not support calculator app, don't you think buy a portable calculator is a perfect solution?
    Lets list out some of pro's of having an FM radio.

1) During the event of an emergency, such as tornado or whatnot, internet services and cell-phone towers are down, yet broadcasters continue to broadcast. Good luck getting an internet connection when your town has been devastated, and you're looking for a relief center.

2) Motorcycles. Yes, most, if not all cars have FM radios. Motorcycles do not. When I'm out and about riding my bike, I like to receive live traffic alerts.

3) You may have FM already. Most phones already contain FM radios within a 4-in-1 chip. Broadcom and TI pushed out the majority mobile chips found in phones, and the most common chip is a 4-in-1 that has WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth and FM Radio on a single wafer. So if your phone already has the hardware, why wouldn't you want it enabled?

4) Battery life. The FM radio barely uses any battery whatsoever because it doesn't have to tax the CPU to decode bitstreams. So a benefit of using the FM radio is extended battery life.

5) Phone stays cooler, reference point #4. Less CPU usages means less heat. Meaning you don't have a pocket warmer.

6) Sporting events and broadcasting licensing. Yep, not everything can be streamed (legally) due to license regulations.

7) Smart phones should have everything. You're a nerd/geek/techie and you want everything. Why have limits? Even a laser and ultrasound sensor would be great for measuring distance, temperature and other possibilities.

8) New music exposure

9) Cost of production - Reference point #3, they're already on most chips. And you can buy FM module chips at retail for $1.00, very inexpensive feature for carriers to implement.

10) When your phone becomes so obsolete that not even the WiFi is secure anymore because of weak encryption, well at least your phone has a usable radio!

11) You don't have to use it. You hate anyone else that uses it because you're better than them, so you can exercise your superiority by not using the radio feature. It's always better to over-saturate data providers anyways right? Only the cool kids buffer

---------- Post added at 06:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 AM ----------

Oh, and the S5 does NOT have FM Radio available:

"Our studies show a trend shift of interest to digital broadcasting, specifically – focus on listening to music content in social networks or on the channel YouTube. The flagship model of our products are focused on customers who use digital content, which use modern formats and channels of information consumption. "

They want you to spend more money on data usage.

So on that note, just because DTH, cable & IP televisions are wide spread, should Samsung produce its future TV’s without a tuner for Terrestrial reception? Sounds like a great idea, what could possibly go wrong; especially in a disaster situation.