YFOmgnvNNykFPw0AH8087tU-yP90MjeY9jP62xAFdYjpS8Hb9GJv2QiQVDf-iBs3gSA
IEOY_egUcDWLHgBK9y4U3xMUY8Qvkk4kM5g664V_j3PVuGI9e2Ol8RpuN6in5_8SN_8
Rs-HmKD3hS8XSWbRg5RsWlur2kuGvoeaRlkVtiGIMqBFa723qDlz_5aOzfEq7WQfdg
XdqEZFqLpGvZvMygAnvzphk_lpYuKsUKk3l0Fekt2D6SpIxmYcuNB1aPeWJiTyWk_8w

byX2R0RF0NM4w0BZeDsvAxBw-ru0EDnZoZvk3ONX3daqfmpPKse_4rzWFEAL4WHPHA
k-a-wEBGqhZfZaIodw9x1OqL9GpV5emKInTPfRu8OUY9-FgUejHqVBeG5-K-gczuAA
_D0y4LrtjECZAZ6729HJKirsWiBQUksfOt-lrNTb2URA4lKJ1HfesNlCSJ3pUKfe9ktF

The project in GutHub: https://github.com/antoniy/gidder

Gidder is a Git server implementation for Android that works on top of a SSH server. Access your code anywhere anytime using your Android device.

Gidder is a unique product in that it combines two very complementary ideas. The distributed version control that Git provides and the mobility of any Android device. As a reasult, you can store your projects safely and conveniently in your pocket device and just as easy access them using any WiFi connection. It doesn't matter if you are on a business trip in a hotel, at the office or at home, you can always sync your work using your Android device.

What's the fun of something if you can't share if with anyone else? That's why Gidder provides multiple users that can access any repository they have permissions to. You might want a colleague to be able to just peek at your code - no worries, Gidder gives you the ability to separate permissions to Pull and Push&Pull permissions. So with a simple click you can assign read-only permission to anyone.

Features:

• Git server over SSH for accessing your repositories.
  • Support Push, Pull, Fetch and Clone Git operations which is all you need to achieve successful distribution with Git.
  • User management - create, create from contact, edit, delete, activate/deactivate, set/remove permissions to repositories.
  • Repository management - create, edit, delete, activate/deactivate, set/remove permissions for users.
  • Dynamic DNS integration. A convinient way to use the system when working in different WiFi networks and having a different IP on your laptop. By using Dynamic DNS you can easily access a server without worrying if your Git remote have the correct IP for the current WiFi network. Currently supported providers are No-IP and DynDNS.
  • Auto update Dynamic DNS hostname when WiFi is On.
  • Manually update Dynamic DNS with an update button.
  • Autostart/Autostop server on WiFi On/Off.
  • Configure server port.
  • Enable/Disable status bar notifications.
  • Application widget for Start/Stop the server.

Last edited:

cholmer

Sep 26, 2012
Connection problem

Hi!

Must say that it's a great idea! I use git for storing all my document, regardless if I'm using my laptop or office computer. Adding the phone offers true mobility.

However, I'm having problem accessing the server:

~/git/AppData$ git push gidder
Permission denied (password).
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly

After stopping the server I get the following:

ssh: connect to host 10.10.10.170 port 2222: Connection refused

Which means that I'm talking to the right server. I never get prompted for the password, though. I'm pretty experienced with both ssh and git.

Keep up the good work!

oliuf4e

Jan 27, 2011
Hi!

Must say that it's a great idea! I use git for storing all my document, regardless if I'm using my laptop or office computer. Adding the phone offers true mobility.

Which means that I'm talking to the right server. I never get prompted for the password, though. I'm pretty experienced with both ssh and git.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you for your feedback! Can you provide me with additional information (steps to reproduce for example) so I can see if something is going wrong?

~antoniy~

Reactions: rv33830

cholmer

Sep 26, 2012
Noob

Thank you for your feedback! Can you provide me with additional information (steps to reproduce for example) so I can see if something is going wrong?

~antoniy~

Quick reply! Thanks!

The problem was completely on my side! My /etc/ssh/ssh_config was configured "PasswordAuthentication no", so it didn't allow password based authentication. I usually use pubkey for my gitrepo, so I didn't know I had that. Do you support pubkey?

I hope that someone could learn from my mistake. I found the problem by trying ssh alone like this:

ssh -v -v -v 10.10.10.170 -p 2222 -l guest

oliuf4e

Jan 27, 2011
Quick reply! Thanks!

The problem was completely on my side! My /etc/ssh/ssh_config was configured "PasswordAuthentication no", so it didn't allow password based authentication. I usually use pubkey for my gitrepo, so I didn't know I had that. Do you support pubkey?

I hope that someone could learn from my mistake. I found the problem by trying ssh alone like this:

ssh -v -v -v 10.10.10.170 -p 2222 -l guest

I'm glad you solve this issue. Regarding public key authentication support the answer is yes, of course I had this idea but for now I don't have nice and simple way to present this functionality. Because of the fact it's a pure client-side app and there are no back-end servers involved there ain't simple ways (at least to my knowledge) to transfer and manage pub keys for the application. Of course this feature is still in the queue for future implementations. :)

~antoniy~

jasnell

Jun 13, 2012
Good stuff

Definitely a good start and very useful. It did take a bit of work to get going but not too bad... specifically I had to edit my local ~/.ssh/config to allow password auth with the dyndns host and had to do "git push origin master" after cloning the repo locally... but once that was done things worked great.

A couple of feature requests...

1. It would be great if I could set the location of the repo on my device. I have a galaxy tab 2 with a large capacity sdcard, but gidder sets the repo up on internal storage.

2. It would be great to be able to pull up a history of the repo on the device. Just a summary to see where things are at.

oliuf4e

Jan 27, 2011
Definitely a good start and very useful. It did take a bit of work to get going but not too bad... specifically I had to edit my local ~/.ssh/config to allow password auth with the dyndns host and had to do "git push origin master" after cloning the repo locally... but once that was done things worked great.

1. It would be great if I could set the location of the repo on my device. I have a galaxy tab 2 with a large capacity sdcard, but gidder sets the repo up on internal storage.

2. It would be great to be able to pull up a history of the repo on the device. Just a summary to see where things are at.

Okay, about the first request - I'll add a configuration option to specify where the repositories should be saved. When I got some time, I'll make it happen.

Regarding the repository browsing on the device - I'm not planning this for now. Don't have much time. You can use Roberto's app AGit to access repository on Gidder and browse the log as a workaround.

~antoniy~

Reactions: jasnell

ErgoZ

Aug 23, 2011
Moscow
This app is very interesting! I'll try it tomorrow, but already rated it on gplay. :) if it realy that app how i think i will donate it :)

jckimble

Two Feature Request

This is a really awsome app. I've been stalling making it myself since I didn't have the time. It really needs a hotspot mode it isn't hard to implement, and maybe a tasker plugin.

If you need help on this, I wouldn't mind helping I just don't have the time to do it full-time. Since I'm trying to start releasing abunch of apps right now.

devilsclaw

Apr 21, 2012
First off not trying to be an ass, sadly this is how it will come off.

I am not looking for the source code of the app but I am looking for the source code of the gpl components of this app
which must be hosted by the person who created the app upon any form of distribution.

The only way you would have to also release the source code of the app is if you statically linked to the git code or
any other gpl code.

currently from what I can tell you have violated the GPL License and if not corrected with in two weeks of now, I
will report this to the FSF.

oliuf4e

Jan 27, 2011
First off not trying to be an ass, sadly this is how it will come off.

I am not looking for the source code of the app but I am looking for the source code of the gpl components of this app
which must be hosted by the person who created the app upon any form of distribution.

The only way you would have to also release the source code of the app is if you statically linked to the git code or
any other gpl code.

currently from what I can tell you have violated the GPL License and if not corrected with in two weeks of now, I
will report this to the FSF.

Thank you for supporting the open source community that well. Hope some day you'll realise freeware software is another branch of that same side and you may support it as well. After all some people are investing their free time to do something for the community (and yes, it seams other people are playing "badass" online).

Never the less, there is a plan to go open source but that won't happen until I prepare the code so other people can understand it easily. And that is not and will never be related with what you're trying to do. To be honest people like you pushes me away from contributing than the other way around.

Thank you for your post, hope you're happy for what you're doing.

Regards,
Antoniy

mobby001

Dec 13, 2010
Antoniy I wouldn't take offence to what devilsclaw has said in fact he's trying to help you out although IMHO his approach is a little heavy handed, but that's just my opinion. If he's going to threaten people with the FSF then IMHO it's up to him to try to help people comply with the licences, if they refuse the help then reporting them is probably appropriate.

(Disclaimer: I might not be 100% correct so please do some googling to be sure).
When you make use of libraries that have a GPL licence it means your code automatically has the GPL licence applied to it and have to make the source to your code available...hence why GPL is loved as much as it is hated. If you'd used LGPL licenced code then things would be a little different. Making the code available doesn't mean you have to host it somewhere or make it particularly public but you would have to provide it on request. So for instance if I emailed you and asked for your source you'd have to make it available to me I.e. email me a zip of the source, provide somewhere where I can download it from, etc. (don't worry I'm not going to do that ;) ) because of the GPL licence.

I realise you have pride in the software you write and hence only want to make it "public" when you're happy with it and you can stick with that plan, as long as you provide the current source in whatever state it is in to anyone that actually requests it.

Hopefully this won't put you off as I think your application is great from watching your video and I'll be giving it a try, the fact it's free is fantastic!! All you need to do is probably do some research on what licences are applied to the code you're using and see how that affects your code. Be careful it's a bit of a minefield and there are plenty of misinterpretations/misundertandings out there. Once you've got a grip on what the different licences mean and the consequences of them then hopefully you'll be happy contributing in the future.

As a side-note, making the source available for your application will probably mean more people will use it. Source code is quite a sensitive thing to be storing in something you don't have 100% trust in, providing the source to your application will mean that users can establish that trust. As one of the review comments points out on Google Play they want to be sure the code they're storing through your app isn't being transmitted somewhere else without their knowledge.

HTH
mobby

Thank you for supporting the open source community that well. Hope some day you'll realise freeware software is another branch of that same side and you may support it as well. After all some people are investing their free time to do something for the community (and yes, it seams other people are playing "badass" online).

Never the less, there is a plan to go open source but that won't happen until I prepare the code so other people can understand it easily. And that is not and will never be related with what you're trying to do. To be honest people like you pushes me away from contributing than the other way around.

Thank you for your post, hope you're happy for what you're doing.

Regards,
Antoniy

oliuf4e

Jan 27, 2011
Antoniy I wouldn't take offence to what devilsclaw has said in fact he's trying to help you out although IMHO his approach is a little heavy handed, but that's just my opinion. If he's going to threaten people with the FSF then IMHO it's up to him to try to help people comply with the licences, if they refuse the help then reporting them is probably appropriate.

(Disclaimer: I might not be 100% correct so please do some googling to be sure).
When you make use of libraries that have a GPL licence it means your code automatically has the GPL licence applied to it and have to make the source to your code available...hence why GPL is loved as much as it is hated. If you'd used LGPL licenced code then things would be a little different. Making the code available doesn't mean you have to host it somewhere or make it particularly public but you would have to provide it on request. So for instance if I emailed you and asked for your source you'd have to make it available to me I.e. email me a zip of the source, provide somewhere where I can download it from, etc. (don't worry I'm not going to do that ;) ) because of the GPL licence.

I realise you have pride in the software you write and hence only want to make it "public" when you're happy with it and you can stick with that plan, as long as you provide the current source in whatever state it is in to anyone that actually requests it.

Hopefully this won't put you off as I think your application is great from watching your video and I'll be giving it a try, the fact it's free is fantastic!! All you need to do is probably do some research on what licences are applied to the code you're using and see how that affects your code. Be careful it's a bit of a minefield and there are plenty of misinterpretations/misundertandings out there. Once you've got a grip on what the different licences mean and the consequences of them then hopefully you'll be happy contributing in the future.

As a side-note, making the source available for your application will probably mean more people will use it. Source code is quite a sensitive thing to be storing in something you don't have 100% trust in, providing the source to your application will mean that users can establish that trust. As one of the review comments points out on Google Play they want to be sure the code they're storing through your app isn't being transmitted somewhere else without their knowledge.

HTH
mobby

Hello Mobby and thank you for your response.

I'm aware with the differences in the licenses and the fact is - I'm not using any GPL licensed libraries. The libraries I'm using are Apache 2 License, MIT License and EDL and I'm not forced by any of those to provide my code to anyone. devilsclaw is just confused and want to educate people the strangest way possible. But anyway. My missing is that I have to list the name of the libraries and their licenses somewhere in my app - that's correct and should be fixed some time in the future. My app is not forced to be open-source and due to that fact and many more I still do not intend to make it open source.

Yes, I'm aware people needs to feel safe for their code, but being open source is not a MUST, it's a bonus that people should recognize. You cannot just go around telling people do this and do that without first stop and consider that you're talking about their time and money and also without consider that you might actually be wrong.

Anyway, let's leave it at that. When I find the time needed I'll release the app open source because there is no reason for me to keep it closed. It's just a tool I build for myself and share with others.

Hope you'll enjoy using it.

Regards,
Antoniy

Last edited:

mobby001

Dec 13, 2010
Ah that's cool, glad the licences are not a problem.

Oh definitely open source is not a must and I hope you don't think I was implying that you must open source your code. I was just offering my opinion that it might be good.

In either case you've created a great app and I will certainly give it a try and leave a review on Google Play at some point.

Hello Mobby and thank you for your response.

I'm aware with the differences in the licenses and the fact is - I'm not using any GPL licensed libraries. The libraries I'm using are Apache 2 License, MIT License and EDL and I'm not forced by any of those to provide my code to anyone. devilsclaw is just confused and want to educate people the strangest way possible. But anyway. My missing is that I have to list the name of the libraries and their licenses somewhere in my app - that's correct and should be fixed some time in the future. My app is not forced to be open-source and due to that fact and many more I still do not intend to make it open source.

Yes, I'm aware people needs to feel safe for their code, but being open source is not a MUST, it's a bonus that people should recognize. You cannot just go around telling people do this and do that without first stop and consider that you're talking about their time and money and also without consider that you might actually be wrong.

Anyway, let's leave it at that. When I find the time needed I'll release the app open source because there is no reason for me to keep it closed. It's just a tool I build for myself and share with others.

Hope you'll enjoy using it.

Regards,
Antoniy

oliuf4e

Jan 27, 2011
Ah that's cool, glad the licences are not a problem.

Oh definitely open source is not a must and I hope you don't think I was implying that you must open source your code. I was just offering my opinion that it might be good.

In either case you've created a great app and I will certainly give it a try and leave a review on Google Play at some point.

Thank you again for joining the discussion and for sharing your opinion. I really appreciate it and I don't think you were pressing me to go open source or anything, so no worries. Hope you'll enjoy using the app.

Regards,
Antoniy

thomaskwscott

May 18, 2012
Feature request

I have been looking for this for ages as i have an android tv box connected to a couple of disks with an ssh server that i'm using as a NAS and always wished i could have some version control on it too. Sadly my tv box connects via cables rather than wireless so Gidder will not work in its current state. Any chance of cable support in the future?

oliuf4e

Jan 27, 2011
I have been looking for this for ages as i have an android tv box connected to a couple of disks with an ssh server that i'm using as a NAS and always wished i could have some version control on it too. Sadly my tv box connects via cables rather than wireless so Gidder will not work in its current state. Any chance of cable support in the future?

I don't plan to support that feature because it's wished from just a couple of users and currently I just don't have the time. If you're android developer I could share the code with you and you can add the feature yourself.

thomaskwscott

May 18, 2012
Many thanks

I don't plan to support that feature because it's wished from just a couple of users and currently I just don't have the time. If you're android developer I could share the code with you and you can add the feature yourself.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm a developer by trade and dabble in android so would love to have a go. Obviously anything i come up with i'll merge back in.

kih

Apr 15, 2010
Hi,

I would want to transfer my repositories/users to another phone running Gidder. I've copied the Gidder directory from one phone to the other but when I run Gidder, the repositories/accounts aren't showing up.

Are there any other files I need to copy from the other phone?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    YFOmgnvNNykFPw0AH8087tU-yP90MjeY9jP62xAFdYjpS8Hb9GJv2QiQVDf-iBs3gSA
    IEOY_egUcDWLHgBK9y4U3xMUY8Qvkk4kM5g664V_j3PVuGI9e2Ol8RpuN6in5_8SN_8
    Rs-HmKD3hS8XSWbRg5RsWlur2kuGvoeaRlkVtiGIMqBFa723qDlz_5aOzfEq7WQfdg
    XdqEZFqLpGvZvMygAnvzphk_lpYuKsUKk3l0Fekt2D6SpIxmYcuNB1aPeWJiTyWk_8w

byX2R0RF0NM4w0BZeDsvAxBw-ru0EDnZoZvk3ONX3daqfmpPKse_4rzWFEAL4WHPHA
    k-a-wEBGqhZfZaIodw9x1OqL9GpV5emKInTPfRu8OUY9-FgUejHqVBeG5-K-gczuAA
    _D0y4LrtjECZAZ6729HJKirsWiBQUksfOt-lrNTb2URA4lKJ1HfesNlCSJ3pUKfe9ktF

The project in GutHub: https://github.com/antoniy/gidder

Gidder is a Git server implementation for Android that works on top of a SSH server. Access your code anywhere anytime using your Android device.

Gidder is a unique product in that it combines two very complementary ideas. The distributed version control that Git provides and the mobility of any Android device. As a reasult, you can store your projects safely and conveniently in your pocket device and just as easy access them using any WiFi connection. It doesn't matter if you are on a business trip in a hotel, at the office or at home, you can always sync your work using your Android device.

What's the fun of something if you can't share if with anyone else? That's why Gidder provides multiple users that can access any repository they have permissions to. You might want a colleague to be able to just peek at your code - no worries, Gidder gives you the ability to separate permissions to Pull and Push&Pull permissions. So with a simple click you can assign read-only permission to anyone.

Features:

• Git server over SSH for accessing your repositories.
    • Support Push, Pull, Fetch and Clone Git operations which is all you need to achieve successful distribution with Git.
    • User management - create, create from contact, edit, delete, activate/deactivate, set/remove permissions to repositories.
    • Repository management - create, edit, delete, activate/deactivate, set/remove permissions for users.
    • Dynamic DNS integration. A convinient way to use the system when working in different WiFi networks and having a different IP on your laptop. By using Dynamic DNS you can easily access a server without worrying if your Git remote have the correct IP for the current WiFi network. Currently supported providers are No-IP and DynDNS.
    • Auto update Dynamic DNS hostname when WiFi is On.
    • Manually update Dynamic DNS with an update button.
    • Autostart/Autostop server on WiFi On/Off.
    • Configure server port.
    • Enable/Disable status bar notifications.
    • Application widget for Start/Stop the server.

Hi!

Keep up the good work!

~antoniy~

Okay, about the first request - I'll add a configuration option to specify where the repositories should be saved. When I got some time, I'll make it happen.

Regarding the repository browsing on the device - I'm not planning this for now. Don't have much time. You can use Roberto's app AGit to access repository on Gidder and browse the log as a workaround.

~antoniy~