[Q] USB OTG has stopped working *update: actually USB port does nothing except charge

Search This thread

bertmansk

Aug 16, 2012
*Update on post 3
----------------------------------------------

I have a rooted z1 on the fresh OTA 4.3.

My OTG was working fine, I used it a couple times to copy some files from a flash drive, and to connect my ps3 controller to the phone.

Now, nothing is recognized when plugged into my OTG cable. I have tried this same cable on a Galaxy S3 and it works fine, and I have also tried another OTG cable. Flash drives, a ps3 controller, and 2 different mice were tried.

Some things to note:
  • The last time it was working, I went to safely remove the flash drive, but the notification never went away (the one that says to press "here" to safely remove mass storage). I ignored it and eventually just unplugged it.
  • I have used OTG Troubleshooter to see if it can show some life, and it does. When I plug just the OTG wire with nothing plugged in, "OTG Detected" gets checked off (screenshot attached), but if I plug anything in, nothing is recognized.

Can anyone help? I am trying to avoid restoring the phone. I'd like to save that as the last thing to try, if possible.

Last edited:

bertmansk

Aug 16, 2012
I factory wiped through CWM, and it didn't fix the problem. Is this a 4.3 related problem or hardware related?

I searched a bunch with no results (I wouldn't have posted if I didn't).

bertmansk

Aug 16, 2012
Well, it seems it wasn't only OTG that stopped working. Nothing works on my USB port except charging. The phone isn't recognized on my (or any) computer anymore, OTG and MHL don't work.

Since I already made a thread here, I'll share my customer support experience.

The first person I chatted with was VERY insistent with saying my computer was the problem, and that my phone was fine. I tried my hardest to keep my cool while typing to her. The second person went straight to the point. here are the transcripts:

Part 1

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
You are currently in position number 1 in the queue.
You have now been connected to an agent.
Hayley: Hi Roberto, thank you for contacting Sony Xperia UK Chat Support. My name is Hayley, please could I take your full name and email address?
Roberto: Hello I'm Roberto *****, email *****@gmail.com
Hayley: Thank you for providing me with this information, Please could you confirm which model of phone you have and which network it is on?
Roberto: I have a Sony Xperia Z1 model c6903. I'm currently using it with Vodafone Italy
Roberto: The phone was purchased out of contract, no brand from the UK
Hayley: Thank you, how can I help you today?
Roberto: The USB port seems to have lost functionality. It is no longer recognized on my computer, not even through Sony PC Companion. OTG and MHL have also stopped working.
Roberto: I've factory reset the phone 2 or 3 times. It does not fix the problem.
Hayley: Ok, I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with the handset. Can you charge the phone?
Roberto:: Yes, sorry I forgot to mention that. The phone charges from the USB port and the magnetic port.
Hayley: If the phone charges then it doesn't sound like this is a fault with the phone port itself.
Roberto: I can tell you that when I connect my MHL adapter to the phone, the phone recognizes it's connected to MHL, but nothing goes to the TV.
Roberto: OTG shows zero signs of life, I've tried 3 cables and multiple USB drives and mice.
Roberto: When plugged into the computer, windows doesn't even make a sound (the USB plugged-in sound), and the phone isnt recognized in Windows explorer and PC Companion.
Hayley: If the phone charges the connection on the phone is working, it sounds like it is not being picked up by your PC which could be something on the PC causing this.
Roberto: And I'd like to just say that everything was working fine 2 weeks ago.
Hayley: ok
Hayley: Your handset appears to be working - I would suggest trying this with a different PC
Roberto: I have tried 3 laptops and a desktop.
Roberto: I'm using the original Sony USB cable, and I've tried a Samsung USB cable.
Roberto: I've really tried everything I possibly can before contacting you...
Hayley: The hardware of your phone is working fine as you can charge the phone so it doesn't sound like a problem with the handset.
Hayley: If you think this is the case I'd suggest that you try updating the software in your handset with the phone off. This can be done using the Update Service program here: http://www-support-downloads.sonymobile.com/Software Downloads/Update_Service_Setup-2.11.12.5.exe
Roberto: Can I try this right now while staying in chat with you?
Hayley: This will take 20-30 minutes so I would advise trying this first then testing the phone
Roberto: Alright. What happens if this fails?
Hayley: Try this then test the phone again - if the phone is still charging but not working with other devices this may be something you need to look into with the other connections. The phone can be sent for repair to be examined, but if the handset itself is working then a fault may not be detected.
Roberto: Ok. If this fails, and I'm certain it will, can I contact you directly so I don't have to explain my story again to someone else?
Hayley: You won't necessarily contact me but your details are logged on our system
Roberto: Alright. I have installed the software and it's now updated. I will go try it and come into contact with you guys again if it doesn't work.
Roberto: I don't see my model in the "select your product screen" ...
Hayley: Which version of Windows do you have?
Roberto: I'm currently on a Windows 7 computer
Hayley: Ok, you will have this listed in the products list as the Z1 or C6903
Roberto: I see a handful of Xperia Z1's but they have different models
Roberto: SOL24
Roberto: SO-02f, SO-01f, SOL23, C6916
Hayley: If your phone is a UK model it will be the Z1 or C6903
Roberto: sorry the SOL24 is the z ultra
Roberto: Yes, I know, but that model is not in this list to pick from. It's missing
Roberto: Would you like a screen shot, or remote control access to my computer?
Hayley: This isn't something we can do I'm afraid, you will need to look through the handset list for your model. If it was bought from outside the UK then the mode number may be different.
Roberto: This phone was purchased form the UK
Roberto: I have the box, it says C6903
Roberto: I know that my phone is a c6903
Hayley: Ok, if this is the case then this will be listed in the software update
Roberto: What I'm telling you is that this model is NOT in the list of models in this software you have sent me
Hayley: This software contains all UK models as it is an update for all phones. If you are unable to locate your handset within this list you can try instead using the PC Companion with the phone off
Hayley: You can download this here: http://www-support-downloads.sonymobile.com/Software Downloads/PC_Companion_2.02.015_Web.exe
Hayley: Open PC Companion and go to Support Zone > click Software Updates > At this point a pop up will appear on screen asking you to connect your handset while powered on, as the software repair needs the handset to be switched off please ignore these connection instructions and click on the blue link which states "Repair Phone”.
Roberto: I'm doing this right now
Hayley: Ok Roberto, I hope the information I have given answers your query. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Roberto: In support zone, I have the options to Update the phone, use Xperia care, and recycle my phone
Hayley: click Software Updates > At this point a pop up will appear on screen asking you to connect your handset while powered on, as the software repair needs the handset to be switched off please ignore these connection instructions and click on the blue link which states "Repair Phone”.
Roberto: I've found the repair option
Roberto: I'm going to try it. Like I said before I will come in contact with you guys again if it fails.
Roberto: Thank you Hayley
Hayley: No problem. I hope the information I have provided is okay. Thanks for using Sony Xperia Chat Support today. Goodbye.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

Part 2

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
You have now been connected to an agent.
Amy: Hi Roberto, thank you for contacting Sony Xperia UK Chat Support. My name is Amy, please could I take your full name and email address?
Roberto: Hello I'm Roberto *****, email *****@gmail.com
Amy: Thank you for providing me with this information, Please could you confirm which model of phone you have and which network it is on?
Roberto: The phone is a Sony Xperia Z1 C6903, purchased from the UK
Roberto: I'm currently using it with Vodafone Italy
Roberto: I have just spoken with someone else over chat, and I was told to try to "repair" the phone with Sony PC Companion. I am stuck at the part where it tells me to plug the phone into the PC while holding the volume down key. Nothing happens.
Amy: I am sorry to hear that Roberto. Is the handset normally recognised by the PC when you connect it via USB? And just out of interest do you have any anti-virus or firewall software running on your PC at all?
Roberto: ... the other person told me all my information (story) was logged. Ok here I go again.
Roberto: The USB port seems to have lost functionality. It is no longer recognized on my computer, not even through Sony PC Companion. OTG and MHL have also stopped working.
Roberto: I've factory reset the phone 2 or 3 times. It does not fix the problem.
Roberto: The phone charges through the USB port.
Amy: I am sorry that is the case. If you believe this to be a fault with the handset you could have this sent for repair. You have a 24 month manufacturer's warranty with ourselves which is a repair warranty covering manufacturing faults.
Amy: As you are in Italy I would suggest contacting your local region support who will be able to help you further. You can find contact info here: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/contact-info/
Roberto: I am in Italy, but my first spoken language is English. Can I just do it through Sony UK since that's where the phone was purchased from anyway?
Roberto: I've tried everything under the sun before I came into contact with you guys. I'm 99% sure the phone has a hardware problem. I'd like to get it sent in for repair.
Amy: Okay Roberto, you could have this sent to the UK for repair if you wish to have this examined.
Amy: Would you like me to provide you with details on how to do this?
Roberto: Yes, please.
Amy: Certainly.
Amy: The average turnaround time for the repair is 5-7 working days from the day the handset is received at the repair centre.
Amy: Please could I take the IMEI number of your handset?
Roberto: *****************
Amy: Thank you. I’d recommend you keep a copy of this IMEI number for your own reference.
Amy: To send the phone away, Place your handset in a Jiffy bag and send it via your local postal service obtaining a Proof of Postage receipt. Please do not send any original packaging or documents as these may be damaged in transit or not returned.
[...long details for sending the phone to Sony. Don't think I need to share that...]
Roberto: Very well. I will attach printed copies of my conversations with both you and the previous chat support. Unless you think that is not necessary...
Amy: That's okay Roberto, your conversations are logged on our system. Just include a brief covering letter explaining the issues you have been experiencing and your return address and that should be fine.
Roberto: Alright. Thank you Amy. I will be sending the phone out this afternoon or tomorrow morning.
Amy: No problem. I hope this information has been helpful to you. Is there anything else I can help you with in the mean time?
Roberto: No I believe that's it. Thanks again.

Well, I've since sent the phone out. Will update when I find out whats wrong with it.

Last edited: