[APP] StegDroid Alpha v 0.75

Search This thread

d0ugie

Jan 30, 2007
New York
batteryboss.org
ringtones?

Just in case this never occurred to you: When I tested it out, banged in a message and then got to the recording part, I was kind of stumped as to what to record so I just started rambling. That's weird if someone listened to that, my sending my own voice. And were I to turn on some Led Zeppelin track and record that, either making a short recording of my voice or a lousy 15 second recording of the Rain Songin mono, that would be an odd recording that would stand out on its own.

So I'm thinking, now what audio might someone casually and inconspicuously send from one phone to another that wouldn't look to bizarre were someone to see or intercept the email -- sending a buddy a ringtone maybe. And on Android those tones are oggs I believe and maybe stegdroid could loop and stitch them however many times as needed to squeeze in a message and then cut the looping off, as phones do when they ring. The program selects a ringtone at random or by choice, and stegs in the message.

?

fredley

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 20, 2009
Cambridge
www.tommedley.com
Interesting idea, I may look into it in future. I don't know if there's a central repository for oggs that can be accessed programatically, but I may be able to get the app to let the user choose whether they want to embed/extract from an ogg that they open with StegDroid.

fredley

Apr 20, 2009
Cambridge
www.tommedley.com
So I'm thinking, now what audio might someone casually and inconspicuously send from one phone to another that wouldn't look to bizarre were someone to see or intercept the email?

Interesting to see the 'Voice to Tweet' services that sprung up in the wake of Egypt's big disconnect, that would be a great way of distributing your hidden messages (the great thing about steg is you can broadcast your message publicly on Twitter, and only those with the right software and password will be able to access your secret message).

necrohades

Dec 20, 2010
Quezon City
i tried this on my Sony Ericsson X10 Mini Pro, JIT-enabled, on android 2.1. Apk installed, but when it gets to the recording bit, it seems it can not record anything. pressing the 'play unencoded file' plays back nothing either in speakers nor earpiece. pressing 'next' force closes the app.

just a feedback though:)

cheers!

necrohades

Dec 20, 2010
Quezon City
i'm a noob at log files, so i took out aLogcat, and attached a saved log.

hope this could be of help :)

Attachments

• alogcat.2011-02-04-04-22-36+0800.txt
    57.4 KB · Views: 9

fredley

Apr 20, 2009
Cambridge
www.tommedley.com
i'm a noob at log files, so i took out aLogcat, and attached a saved log.

hope this could be of help :)
Interesting... In line 572 of the file you sent, it appears that the Android MediaPlayer class is failing for some reason. No idea what's causing this but if it's happening repeatedly on your device I'm assuming it's device specific... I don't know if I can sort this out, I may be able to handle the error more gracefully though...

necrohades

Dec 20, 2010
Quezon City
i can't tell exactly the reason why it's failing. might be due to some apps i added, or maybe because i took out SE's Videoplayer, and replaced it with the stock android. i'll see if i'll have time this weekend to do a clean install (planning to flash my x10mp anyway), and i'll post what i can.

cheers!

Reactions: fredley

necrohades

Dec 20, 2010
Quezon City
ok, just flashed my x10 mini pro, installed astro, stegdroid, and aLogcat.

sdcard still has the apps i got before flashing, located in ext2.

i've attached my log file. i haven't yet learned how to read them, and of course, i do not know what to look for, hehe :)

hope this would be of help. i'll be building back my x10 now to custom specs. xrecovery really helps in this situations :)

fredley

Apr 20, 2009
Cambridge
www.tommedley.com
Sorry for the long delay, I've been bogged down with work, and actually writing my dissertation. An update is finally here, lots of bug fixes and optimizations including:

* Fixed bug with sharing files in paranoid mode
* Better memory management, should work more reliably with longer messages
* Reduced error rate (less garbled messages)
* Reduced file size by 33%

Let me know how it goes, all feedback at this stage is immensely helpful!

fredley

Apr 20, 2009
Cambridge
www.tommedley.com
A small update to 0.75 -

* Added multicasting to contact groups

This is why the Contact access permission was required on the previous update to 0.7 (I was in the process of building this part but forgot to change the permissions back when I published)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys/gals

I'm working on this app for my final year dissertation. It performs Echo Steganography on wave files. My app uses this to encode short text messages in an audio file, then share it. I've just got the Steg side of things working, so I wanted to get some early feedback on whether it works for other people (and if it's awfully slow - it uses a lot of Fourier Transforms etc...).

This is very early days, so the app isn't anything like ready for primetime yet, but the basics are in place. I'd really appreciate it if you could download it and:

* Have a go at embedding some text in a recording and seeing if it correctly extracts it again.
    * Run the tests available in the menu
    * Email me one of your recordings (tfmw2 [at] cam [dot] ac [dot] uk) to see if I can extract the data on my phone.
    * Supports encryption with a shared key
    * Transcodes audio files to ogg format for sharing

Updates (0.75)

* Added Multicasting of messages to contact groups

* Fixed bug with sharing files in paranoid mode
    * Better memory management, should work more reliably with longer messages
    * Reduced error rate (less garbled messages)
    * Reduced file size by 33%
    * Other bug fixes

Any problems let me know!

img.php

Cheers
    The app records a file from the microphone and embeds a secret message into it. You can send that file to someone, and if they've got the same app they can extract the secret message from the audio file. Anyone listening to the audio file wouldn't be able to tell that it's got a message hidden in it, as the difference is hard to distinguish with the human ear.
    I've uploaded a new version, it's a bit more stable and a bit easier to use!
    Works pretty well, cool idea too!
    I was able to make it fail though by using a long jumble of letters (I screenshotted before and after to compare) but it still only got about 5 wrong (little diamond with a ? In the middle).
    Nice work!

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App
    Thanks Meltus

Could you let me know the length of the string. Were the wrong characters at the end or distributed throughout? What kind of audio input were you testing with (voice message, background noise, music etc.)?