[Kindle Fire 2 Restore][Working!!!]-12/7/2012

Search This thread

mindmajick

Account currently disabled
Hello, a friend of mine tried this with his kf2 (this same file) and we got the following.

We now get kindle fire logo showing indefinitely. any ideas what to do next?
Unfortunately- no idea. I originally obtained the images from the kindle fire first aid thread. I had used them plenty of times without any issue.

Is he CERTAIN that he has the right generation kindle fire? Not one of the third generation Or hd versions?

Did he wipe caches, etc as well?

Just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks.

Unfortunately my kindle fire was infested with ghost ants and eventually died so I can't test from here.

Edit: I also haven't really kept up with the device for a while...

Edit2: original source- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

Last edited:
Reactions: SkOrPn

SkOrPn

Jun 3, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
www.planetamd64.com
I don't know if he is certain or not. He tells me he has a kf2 but has never given me its code name or any part numbers or model numbers off its box.

If it was in my hands it would have been fixed a long time ago and I know nothing about Kindles. Lol, but that's how I operate.

Sent from my Nexus 7

powerpoint45

Jan 31, 2012
Dallas
Reactions: mindmajick

rklatte

Jan 7, 2012
Works for me!

Just wanted to say THANKS!!! to Mindmajick for posting the restore image. Screwed up a friends KF2 and this restore image saved my butt. Your help is much appreciated!

docKroko

May 10, 2014
Tirana
Thank you very much for this restore.
It works flawlessly even after 2 years and i just got my old Kindle back on track.

BewareAlbatross

Sep 11, 2010
Yep, unfortunately with goo.im down permanently we've lost all mirrors, it seems. :( Any chance of a Google Drive upload?

zmedhaug

Nov 3, 2012
those links just gave me 35 viruses. it took 6 hours to clean them all out of my computer.

Feb 15, 2011
Huh, I just found some Kindle files from when I followed these directions sitting right here on my desktop. These are untouched and as they were several years ago when I rooted both of mine - https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2wKrXWQTDL9eTh3d0JraVdNR2c&usp=sharing
and this one here
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2wKrXWQTDL9bXFpdk84U3pQYTQ&usp=sharing

I do not know which one does what because it's been so long but these are the files mentioned throughout this thread which no one seems to own anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: atMyOwnrisK

atMyOwnrisK

Nov 23, 2011
Seattle
Yep, unfortunately with goo.im down permanently we've lost all mirrors, it seems. :( Any chance of a Google Drive upload?

Quick and Simple.

All- Here are all three files. I believe this is 10.2.1 but Honestly can't remember since it's been so long since I've used them.

They are pre-rooted and originally came from HERE: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

So PLEASE thank the OP at the above link. I also provided a simple batch file that when used with the correct ADB and FASTBOOT executables will flash the images to your device.

If you brick your stuff by using this... it's not my fault and please leave me alone.

Thanks.

And HERE are the files:
http://goo.im/devs/mindmajick/Kindle2/Restore.zip

attempting to make a new system.img ext4 sparsed image for this thread, and i need it so i can purposely brick a KF2 for shI#@ and giggles, bored... Once i get a new img made and working I will share it the thread, but if someone is still checking this thread please make my work easy and share the original 3 files and a new link or please pm me and i will upload them to my dropbox or google drive :)
Thanks!!

KF2 utilities dropbox GD mirrors if anyone can use them.

Last edited:

rasor89

Dec 5, 2011
Hello together,

I have at the moment also an bricked Kindle. I assume, that no OS is on the device. With the fastboot cable I can start to the fastboot mode, but my pc coulnd't find an ADB device. In the device manager from the pc, the tablet is called ADB android interface . (I used the drivers from Kindle Fire ADB drivers)

I tried several differend ways to get it starting again, but without any luck.

I tried to flash the boot and reovery again (fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin; fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot otter2-freedom-boot-10.4.6.img; fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery otter2-twrp-2.6.3.0-recovery.img). This works, but when starting the device, I see the kindle logo and a few seconds ago, the screen get black ... then the kindle logo ... a kind of bootloop.

I can't flash the system.img, because getting always amessages as "Failure (remoteSparsed write)".

I tried also to use the KF First Aide. But always it shows "waiting for device".

What can I do to start into the recovery? (Remark: I have an windows pc)

Can anyone help me to repair the kindle?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards!

irve

Nov 14, 2007
Hello together,

I have at the moment also an bricked Kindle. I assume, that no OS is on the device. With the fastboot cable I can start to the fastboot mode, but my pc coulnd't find an ADB device. In the device manager from the pc, the tablet is called ADB android interface . (I used the drivers from Kindle Fire ADB drivers)

I tried several differend ways to get it starting again, but without any luck.

I tried to flash the boot and reovery again (fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin; fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot otter2-freedom-boot-10.4.6.img; fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery otter2-twrp-2.6.3.0-recovery.img). This works, but when starting the device, I see the kindle logo and a few seconds ago, the screen get black ... then the kindle logo ... a kind of bootloop.

I can't flash the system.img, because getting always amessages as "Failure (remoteSparsed write)".

I tried also to use the KF First Aide. But always it shows "waiting for device".

What can I do to start into the recovery? (Remark: I have an windows pc)

Can anyone help me to repair the kindle?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards!

Hi

My situation exactly - I let you know how I progress, and please share if you figure somethings.

When trying to install TWRP on my KF2, I was able to root using bin4ry's tool but unfortunately now stuck in a boot loop as the others above also are. I'm guessing the cause here is the bootloader isn't seeing the otter2-freedom-boot-10.4.6.img boot image, or perhaps isn't allowing it to start due to a mis-matching certificate?

I can get into fastboot easily using the cable, thinking of restoring the various partitions with OEM ones if I can find them on the 'net somewhere (I skipped the backup section as this is an idle spare device).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to restore your Kindle Fire 2

Notes

Using the backup.sh from kinfauns that I modded because the partition table for the KF2 is not the same as the HD.
    I attached the new backup.sh for the KF2 on this post.

Links

Restoration tool

I developed a Recovery Tool based of the one onemeila created for the KFHD.
    This will restore your boot/recover partitions (good for if you are gonna mess with the Bootloader Crack)
    Restore your system.img to a Deodexed Rooted 10.2.1 Software. I have stripped ALOT of Kindle Apps from this backup.
    Erase userdata & cache cleanup should be done when restoring.

Credits
    Kinfauns for the original backup.sh
    Onemeila for his original Recovery Tool for the KFHD

Special thanks
    verygreen, hashcode, and fattire for answering my endless and noobish questions and saying there HAS to be a way.

And all those who have offered to help me get a 10.2.1 system.img for the KF2

Enjoy!

Additional Info

The post here contains the partition table for the KF2.

How I did it:
    Due to the raw system.img being too big for fastboot to flash back to the KF2 I had to make the raw image
    a sparse image file using help found in this post.
    1. Mount the raw system.img (created and extracted from the system.img.gz using the backup.sh)
      Code:
      mkdir sys
      sudo mount -t ext4 -o loop system.img sys/
    2. Create a new flashable(sparse) system image.
      Code:
      sudo ./make_ext4fs -s -l 929038336 -a system new_system.img sys/
      sudo umount sys
      rm -fr sys

With that all said and done I was able to flash the sparse system.img to my KF2 and restore it!
    It was bricked big time!!!!
    Quick and Simple.

All- Here are all three files. I believe this is 10.2.1 but Honestly can't remember since it's been so long since I've used them.

They are pre-rooted and originally came from HERE: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

So PLEASE thank the OP at the above link. I also provided a simple batch file that when used with the correct ADB and FASTBOOT executables will flash the images to your device.

If you brick your stuff by using this... it's not my fault and please leave me alone.

Thanks.

And HERE are the files:

Over 300 downloads and two Thanks... lmao. Good thing I don't do this for the Thanks but still lololol

:D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    Quick and Simple.

Thanks.

And HERE are the files:
    I got 10.2.3 working and rooted.
    I am going to pull a new system image for restore later tonight.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
    If system.img is too big

I had trouble using fastboot to flash the system partition. System.img was too large and I was having trouble getting the environment up to build the sparse image.

My boot and recovery partitions were, however, set up to successfully boot TWRP recovery. I booted into TWRP, then I used adb to transfer the system.img to the internal storage.

adb push system.img /sdcard/

The I went into adb shell and used dd to write the image.

adb shell
    dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system

Once this completed, I rebooted and the stock environment was in place.