[HOWTO] Phone not responding at all - last chance to repair

Search This thread

s_box

Aug 10, 2012
texas
how i got into emergency mode

i hope this is any helpful info for the future, i was flashing a jb ROM and i had a feeling it wasnt going right cause it was stuck on the boot logo. so while it was still booting i did the vol up, power, and home combination. and it went straight into emergency mode. i only read the first 4 pages so if someone already pointed this out sorry.

nithinphilip

Aug 17, 2012
bangalore
Stills it Doesn,t work

it still doesn,t work for me .....
i have attached the log file
could any 1 post a video tutorial on using kdz updater for lg p690:confused:

shinobisoft

Recognized Contributor
Feb 18, 2012
Knoxville, TN
The following key combos are for the P506 Thrive but I think also for the P505 Phoenix.
[ code]
Power+Vol up+Home == Recovery mode
Power+Vol down+Home == Fast boot mode
Power+Vol up+Back == Emergency mode
Power+Vol up+Vol down == Factory reset
[/code]

Sent from my LG-P506 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: DvineLord

rhapa

Dec 25, 2011
Itumbiara - Goias
Oh god!

Damn it!

I used to have a LG Optimus One and when I was messing around with it I accidentally installed a HTC recovery. I literally bricked my phone very well bricked and it didn't matter what I tried I couldn't get it working. I was all this novel until someday I got very upset, threw it at the floor till the lcd crashed and went to the store to buy a new phone (by then I bought a Nokia Lumia 710 with Windows Phone)...

Dear lord, now, after months away of that bricked nightmare I found out the light in the end of the tunnel, but with one exception: the tunnel had fallen apart. Oh, my phone could be recovered using this tutorial... Why couldn't I find it earlier? It would save me nearly 300 hundread bucks I spent on my new phone (unbranded). And as long as I can remember I didn't need to do anything to boot it into recovery mode, when I turned it on it would automatically boot into emergency mode....

Darn!

clawsright

Mar 1, 2011
bangalore
Rom Manager Boot Loop after selecting Backup current rom

Hi.. I installed Rom Manager onto my friends p500,it was rooted earlier.. but it did not have a custom recovery ..so i flashed the latest cmw through the rom manager app.
After which i selected to create a back up.. The mobile restarted (to enter the cmw recovery for backup operation).. but soon after the restart the mobile got stuck at the LG Logo.. I waited for about 10mins and it did not respond. Then i removed the battery and then power it on.. but it is stuck at the LG logo.. I am unable to get into custom recovery.. (power+home+volumeup).
Also, Mobile is not detected when connected to pc.
How to resolve this issue?? Please help

Ozadroid

Oct 19, 2011
clawsright said:
Hi.. I installed Rom Manager onto my friends p500,it was rooted earlier.. but it did not have a custom recovery ..so i flashed the latest cmw through the rom manager app.
After which i selected to create a back up.. The mobile restarted (to enter the cmw recovery for backup operation).. but soon after the restart the mobile got stuck at the LG Logo.. I waited for about 10mins and it did not respond. Then i removed the battery and then power it on.. but it is stuck at the LG logo.. I am unable to get into custom recovery.. (power+home+volumeup).

Recovery combo for p500 is POWER+HOME+VOL UP

not vol down

shinobisoft

Recognized Contributor
Feb 18, 2012
Knoxville, TN

Locate a recovery for your device and download. This is assuming that you are using a Windows PC. Click the link in my signature for Android Flash Recovery. Download AFR and unzip to a folder of your choosing. Read the README.txt or /help/index.html. Boot device into fastboot mode ( Power + Vol down + Home ). Run androidflashrecovery.exe. Browse to where you downloaded your recovery to and select it. Hit the "Flash Recovery" button. After flashing, since it's enabled by default, your device should reboot into the new recovery. If this doesn't work, more than likely you have disable USB debugging on the device. If that's the case, I hate to say, but you're kinda screwed.

Reactions: clawsright

clawsright

Mar 1, 2011
bangalore

not vol down

I do know that. :)
read my above post clearly once again. I have mentioned it (power+home+volumeup).

Besides, I have found a way out for this issue..

I was able to enter the EMERGENCY MODE .. And there i flashed the cmw :)

Thanks for the reply!!. :)

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

not vol down

Locate a recovery for your device and download. This is assuming that you are using a Windows PC. Click the link in my signature for Android Flash Recovery. Download AFR and unzip to a folder of your choosing. Read the README.txt or /help/index.html. Boot device into fastboot mode ( Power + Vol down + Home ). Run androidflashrecovery.exe. Browse to where you downloaded your recovery to and select it. Hit the "Flash Recovery" button. After flashing, since it's enabled by default, your device should reboot into the new recovery. If this doesn't work, more than likely you have disable USB debugging on the device. If that's the case, I hate to say, but you're kinda screwed.

Problem is resolved.. just entered Emergency mode and flashed CMW through LGMDP :)
Rom manager just screwed up half day of mine :p
Thank you for the reply :)

shinobisoft

Recognized Contributor
Feb 18, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I do know that. :)
read my above post clearly once again. I have mentioned it (power+home+volumeup).

Besides, I have found a way out for this issue..

I was able to enter the EMERGENCY MODE .. And there i flashed the cmw :)

Thanks for the reply!!. :)

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

Problem is resolved.. just entered Emergency mode and flashed CMW through LGMDP :)
Rom manager just screwed up half day of mine :p
Thank you for the reply :)

Was glad to help as best as I could. A word of warning tho, don't use ROM Manager for anything other than installing a recovery. It tends to mess things up on occasion. That's one of many reasons that I wrote Android Flash Recovery. You ended up getting lucky. I have a bricked P506 that no tools can fix :crying:. I think KDZ updater did that tho. It has bricked a lot of devices. I've tried to use LGMDP on occasion with no luck. How did you flash a recovery with it? If you don't mind sharing.

clawsright

Mar 1, 2011
bangalore

not vol down

Was glad to help as best as I could. A word of warning tho, don't use ROM Manager for anything other than installing a recovery. It tends to mess things up on occasion. That's one of many reasons that I wrote Android Flash Recovery. You ended up getting lucky. I have a bricked P506 that no tools can fix :crying:. I think KDZ updater did that tho. It has bricked a lot of devices. I've tried to use LGMDP on occasion with no luck. How did you flash a recovery with it? If you don't mind sharing.

In the early days of p500 there was no easy technique to root p500 with Stock Roms.
We followed doktornotor's method to root and instal custom rom.
i.e flash P500-CWM-3.1.0.0.zip and root it through su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip

The complete info of HOW TO DO it is on this page http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15217609&postcount=3

Hope this would help you :)

Reactions: shinobisoft

lenhkp

Sep 16, 2012
shillong
shaking

its not shaking the phone... you should rather touch the screen by wiping it left and right, up and down or what ever way you want. there is a sensor or something like that when your phone is dead.

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Hi, because with last update increased count of people with bricket phone, I just tryed search for way how to repair this phone. It seems, that last possible way how to save your phone is emergency mode.

I would like to notify you, that I didn't tested it (I'm had not luck enough to brick my phone yet :)). I just searched and tried write this for help to others.

So, let's go on.

1) If it's not possible connect to phone via ADB (in Adroid SDK/tools run "adb shell") at all you will try next steps. If it will work, you can use another, verified tools like custom recovery or KDZ_FW_UPD (search on forum for more) [HOWTO] Flash original firmware on P500, )

2) If you fail in previous step, you can try enter into emergency mode manually and try to flash ROM with KDZ_FW_UPD:
  1. Download KDZ updater and uncompress it
    http://www.4shared.com/file/UleS4dP3/KDZ_FW_UPD_EN.html
  2. Install msxml.msi from the uncompressed directory
  3. Charge your battery to almost full state (I'm not sure, but it can be reason if phone doesn't start)
  4. Turn phone off somehow (remove battery etc.)
  5. Install drivers properly
    • Get rid of all usb drivers like Nokia, microsoft visual ++ run time environments
    • Install the LG drivers by selecting the update manager from the lg site
    • Disable LGE Virtual Modem. In your Windows operating system, go to Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Modems > Right click on LGE Virtual Modem and click Disable.
  6. Press and keep pressed "Volume up"+"Return" and connect USB cable to phone
  7. Yellow screen with text emergency mode should appeared
  8. Shake the handset (I know, it sounds ... strange, but it helps for ones, so... why don't try it?) UPDATE: Read some quotes on bottom.
  9. Run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe (Has administrator).
    Select Type : 3GQCT (I have one report that CDMA mod works too)
    Select PhoneMode : DIAG (in case of fail try EMERGENCY, and as last chance use CS_EMERGENCY)
  10. I Recommend do not switch phone off. There was some people, which done it and after they were not be able to turn it on again. If flashing failed, just select some another mode and try it again, again, try shake/connect disconnect, again, again....
  11. In KDZ file : Choose the ROM file you downloaded in the first step
  12. Press Launch software update
  13. Shake the handset (I know, it sounds ... strange, but it helps for ones, so... why don't try it?) UPDATE: Read some quotes on bottom.
  14. Make sure that all update was done successfully. Phone should restart itself automatically
  15. Disconnect the USB cable from the phone
  16. Press the three button combo for HW reset of device i.e volume up + home + power button
List to do based on Zecanilis's [HOWTO] Flash original firmware on P500

3) Still no success? Wait for more "What I can do" or just go to LG and let repair on them.

Source:
http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f282/vygis-shell-v1-1-0-josedavido-1166478/ (included file named "Flash help.txt" in application)
http://android.modaco.com/content/l...modaco-com/321895/faq-gt540-reference-thread/

Please let me know if it works. I just searched for way and I haven't possibility to test this steps for now. I will do update if it will be necessary, same as I will try describe more about software which I founded.

Some experiences from thread(s):

About shaking (sorry, but I still can't believe... :) )

well its seems its not the shaking that helps.. rather you should touch the screen of the phone.. seems like there is a sensor or something like that. i got my lg p500 bricked sometime ago and tried everything.. and nothing worked because i forgot to turn on usb debugging while i still could...lol... but when i touch the screen it started to flash the stock rom. i guess even if your usb debugging is off you should touch the screen while launching software update using kdz updater

UberNephew

Oct 17, 2012
Please... help!

I tried to install a new rom to my LG Optimus One P500. But the installation failed, and my phone was stock in recovery mode. Then, i panicked a little bit, unplugued the phone, and it was still stuck on that yellow screen... so i removed the battery. Bad, bad idea.

Now, my phone just seem to be completely dead. I saw a lot of people talking about "Stuck with lg/android logo" of "stuck in recovery/emergency mode" or just in loopboot sh*t etc... But that is not my problem at all. Thoes people are lucky, they have at least a life sign from their phone...

Mine just don't even start up. Nothing. Black screen. And it dont look like i can boot it to recovery mode. I tried every damn combination of button i saw. Battery, no battery, plugued, unplugued, shaking it while dancing the rain song, sacrified some people in a volcano while holding volume up back power. NOT A DAMN SIGN OF LIFE.

How could this be possible?? It can't be really broke: its just the system that is messed up! When you mess up the OS of any computer, it just doesn't matter, you whipe everything and reinstall something. Its not like i stabed it with a fork, everything is physicaly OK with the phone.

Is there a way to reinstall the system on it? Why can't i go to the recovery mode? What's the matter of a recovery mode if you can just f*ck it up?

What can i do, please? :(

shinobisoft

Recognized Contributor
Feb 18, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Please... help!

I tried to install a new rom to my LG Optimus One P500. But the installation failed, and my phone was stock in recovery mode. Then, i panicked a little bit, unplugued the phone, and it was still stuck on that yellow screen... so i removed the battery. Bad, bad idea.

Now, my phone just seem to be completely dead. I saw a lot of people talking about "Stuck with lg/android logo" of "stuck in recovery/emergency mode" or just in loopboot sh*t etc... But that is not my problem at all. Thoes people are lucky, they have at least a life sign from their phone...

Mine just don't even start up. Nothing. Black screen. And it dont look like i can boot it to recovery mode. I tried every damn combination of button i saw. Battery, no battery, plugued, unplugued, shaking it while dancing the rain song, sacrified some people in a volcano while holding volume up back power. NOT A DAMN SIGN OF LIFE.

How could this be possible?? It can't be really broke: its just the system that is messed up! When you mess up the OS of any computer, it just doesn't matter, you whipe everything and reinstall something. Its not like i stabed it with a fork, everything is physicaly OK with the phone.

Is there a way to reinstall the system on it? Why can't i go to the recovery mode? What's the matter of a recovery mode if you can just f*ck it up?

What can i do, please? :(

A flash filesystem is different than the filesystem on our computers. It's accessed in a completely different manner. And I don't completely understand it either. I've personally bricked two phones. Unfortunately I don't own a P500 and I think the button combinations are slightly different across the Optimus One Family devices ( P500, P505, P506, P509 ).

Kinda sounds like you are booting into recovery if you are getting a blank screen. Did you install a CWM recovery before flashing the ROM? Did you use Rom Manger to install the recovery? Did you select the correct recovery for your device? There are two of them, one for new baseband and one for old baseband. If you can get into Fastboot mode, the tool in my signature can get you up and running again.

Remove your battery. Press and hold the Power button to discharge any small amounts of juice retained by the device for about 10 seconds or so. Replace your battery. Now power it up and see what happens.

Also, if memory serves me, Power + Volume Down + Home == Fastboot mode, at least for the P506, can't find it on my P509.

Reactions: UberNephew

UberNephew

Oct 17, 2012
Sorry, there is a misunderstanding. The screen is not blank, it stay black. Nothing show up. It just stay powered off. :(
Like this, its just impossible to get it mounted on my pc.

edit:
Also, for your questions, i used LGMDP. I don't know anything about the new baseband and the old one. What is it?

Last edited:
P

paul.n

If you had (stock) Android 2.2 Froyo, it's old baseband. Otherwise, it's the new one.
Regarding your phone, flashing you are under a big risk. Flashing doesn't modify the hardware, but it wipes something that is in the motherboard, what is necessary for boot and later writes it back I think. And if you pull the battery out, that file isn't written there and later phone fails to boot without that. So, you can try to go into emergency mode or try to flash it as is(if recognized), but otherwise your phone is a brick. Take it to service maybe. You can't do anything anymore.
--
P>

Last edited:

ibub

Oct 22, 2012
Louisville,Ky
I just want to thank The_Error, whose sticky helped me unbrick my phone. I have alot of people to thank for their posts, as I have been studying the forums for several months now, but I'll try to stick to the immediate story. Last night I was going to backup my rom and, since recently the phone had been in close proximity to a magnet, I wasn't sure of the integrity of my sd card's data, or the recovery. So I reflashed cwm 5.0.2.0. Must have had a bad connection. Went to backup rom from rom manager and no recovery. Stuck at lg logo. Tried repeatedly to access, to no avail. Grabbed laptop, hastily searching xda. Found this thread. Recently upgraded to win8 so I found my kdz folder under old windows. Reinstalled lg update tool so as to install drivers. Ran kdz in compatability mode for xp sp2 and as administrator. Pulled battery,sd,and sim(just in case). Replaced bat and set phone to emergency mode( back button + vol up, + while holding plugged in usb from computer. Tried in diag, and then emergency mode. Had a couple of errors( force close). Finally did run. Update finished. Bootloop. Pulled bat. Reboot. Magic. Froyo 2.2.2 v10s. Couldn't stand it. Had to have gingerbread with v20g baseband (never had luck before). Repeated process. Magic. Next project...super oneclick!!! I said before that I wouldn't be happy until I bricked my phone. HAPPY.

Sent from my LG-P500 using xda app-developers app

P

paul.n

That is very, very similar to my story, except upgrading to Windows 8 :D
Still, congratulations on the unbricking success! :)
--
P>
Sent from my LG-P500 using xda app-developers app

ingsoon93

Nov 16, 2011
Cant found LGE Virtual Modem

i would like to follow the instruction, but i cant found LGE Virtual Modem as mentioned...

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 49

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, because with last update increased count of people with bricket phone, I just tryed search for way how to repair this phone. It seems, that last possible way how to save your phone is emergency mode.

I would like to notify you, that I didn't tested it (I'm had not luck enough to brick my phone yet :)). I just searched and tried write this for help to others.

So, let's go on.

1) If it's not possible connect to phone via ADB (in Adroid SDK/tools run "adb shell") at all you will try next steps. If it will work, you can use another, verified tools like custom recovery or KDZ_FW_UPD (search on forum for more) [HOWTO] Flash original firmware on P500, )

2) If you fail in previous step, you can try enter into emergency mode manually and try to flash ROM with KDZ_FW_UPD:
    1. Download KDZ updater and uncompress it
      http://www.4shared.com/file/UleS4dP3/KDZ_FW_UPD_EN.html
    2. Install msxml.msi from the uncompressed directory
    3. Charge your battery to almost full state (I'm not sure, but it can be reason if phone doesn't start)
    4. Turn phone off somehow (remove battery etc.)
    5. Install drivers properly
      • Get rid of all usb drivers like Nokia, microsoft visual ++ run time environments
      • Install the LG drivers by selecting the update manager from the lg site
      • Disable LGE Virtual Modem. In your Windows operating system, go to Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Modems > Right click on LGE Virtual Modem and click Disable.
    6. Press and keep pressed "Volume up"+"Return" and connect USB cable to phone
    7. Yellow screen with text emergency mode should appeared
    8. Shake the handset (I know, it sounds ... strange, but it helps for ones, so... why don't try it?) UPDATE: Read some quotes on bottom.
    9. Run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe (Has administrator).
      Select Type : 3GQCT (I have one report that CDMA mod works too)
      Select PhoneMode : DIAG (in case of fail try EMERGENCY, and as last chance use CS_EMERGENCY)
    10. I Recommend do not switch phone off. There was some people, which done it and after they were not be able to turn it on again. If flashing failed, just select some another mode and try it again, again, try shake/connect disconnect, again, again....
    11. In KDZ file : Choose the ROM file you downloaded in the first step
    12. Press Launch software update
    13. Shake the handset (I know, it sounds ... strange, but it helps for ones, so... why don't try it?) UPDATE: Read some quotes on bottom.
    14. Make sure that all update was done successfully. Phone should restart itself automatically
    15. Disconnect the USB cable from the phone
    16. Press the three button combo for HW reset of device i.e volume up + home + power button
    List to do based on Zecanilis's [HOWTO] Flash original firmware on P500

3) Still no success? Wait for more "What I can do" or just go to LG and let repair on them.

Source:
    http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f282/vygis-shell-v1-1-0-josedavido-1166478/ (included file named "Flash help.txt" in application)
    http://android.modaco.com/content/l...modaco-com/321895/faq-gt540-reference-thread/

Please let me know if it works. I just searched for way and I haven't possibility to test this steps for now. I will do update if it will be necessary, same as I will try describe more about software which I founded.

Some experiences from thread(s):

AVanover5: ...It works if you set the mode to CDMA and DIAG. Just to let people know. Not sure if it'd work without the recovery screen or not. I never tried it ironically, haha. Thank you guys.

geejay2: ...Bricking seems to be easily achieved by forgetting to disable the LG Modem driver. Apparently the modem driver interferes during flashing. Also I noted that kdz is not stable under Win2k, I switched to WinXP to flash successfully. I saw several aborted flashing attempts in WinXP with modem driver enabled.

domenic_s:KDZ_FW_UPD doesn't work (Application cannot start) -.- Using Windows 7 64bit version. //edit: allright tried another pc (win xp 32bit) and yeah - it worked... I'm so happy.
    About shaking (sorry, but I still can't believe... :) )
    salte_eskil:wow! shaking the phone really worked! seems kind of stupid but thanks to you all at the xda forum for tips and tricks :D:D
    4wd vege: Now unbricked. Strangely kdz updater only saw my phone after shaking!!!
    me2kimi:
    It sound crazy to shake the phone while at emergency mode. I's crazy but it magic. ...So what I do is connect to usb, Launch software update at kdz while shaking the phone. Then after that kdz is working like normal.
    Good work @The_ERROR.

It should work. I think you should also add that the phone mode should be set to Emergency (and not DIAG as mentioned) in the kdz updater.
    I don't think that it's bricked (at least not hard bricked). Emergency mode is the mode that I used, twice, to save my phone. I think that with the correct firmware, it could be fixed. Don't give up. Find it, and be sure it is the correct firmware for your phone. Then try to flash again. Again, good luck.

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk 2
    i would like to follow the instruction, but i cant found LGE Virtual Modem as mentioned...

Virtual Modem is never installed. But a USB Modem is. It , the USB Modem, needs to be disabled.
    Hehe my phone is damn oki without kdz :)) wow.. found something new

Sent from my LG Optimus One P500 using XDA Premium App

You should jump from the cliff and with your phone too if u don't know what are u doing, it's smple...DON'T DO THAT!