Security Concern

Search This thread
Feb 14, 2014
So I know having a removable battery has its own perks but one of it really concerns me. Compared to a unibody with a fixed battery, you can easily shut down a Note 3 just by removing the battery. So what if my Note 3 got stolen by someone with a broad knowledge about Android, he/she can easily just remove the battery, boot into recovery mode and do a factory reset from there rendering the pin/password/pattern and Android Device Manager useless and be gone forever (the thief can easily sell it/get rid of it) compared to unibody smartphones. Is there a workaround for this?

exprxp

Feb 7, 2010
So I know having a removable battery has its own perks but one of it really concerns me. Compared to a unibody with a fixed battery, you can easily shut down a Note 3 just by removing the battery. So what if my Note 3 got stolen by someone with a broad knowledge about Android, he/she can easily just remove the battery, boot into recovery mode and do a factory reset from there rendering the pin/password/pattern and Android Device Manager useless and be gone forever (the thief can easily sell it/get rid of it) compared to unibody smartphones. Is there a workaround for this?

What about Reactivation Lock and KNOX?

senectus

Dec 14, 2004
Perth

Unibody does not protect against Factory Reset, I've never seen a unibody not have some powerbutton+otherbutton combo that wont let the user do exactly what you fear.

Sorry mate, but the one enduring law of digital security is: If you have physical access to the protected device, consider it compromised.

alom5

Dec 4, 2010
Reactivation lock asks for pin even if you done factory reset or flash new firmware

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Feb 14, 2014
Unibody does not protect against Factory Reset, I've never seen a unibody not have some powerbutton+otherbutton combo that wont let the user do exactly what you fear.

Sorry mate, but the one enduring law of digital security is: If you have physical access to the protected device, consider it compromised.

Yeah I understand what you mean but, as for my other phone which is a HTC One 2013, as long as it has charge and pin/pattern/password set-up, no one could turn it off hence could not access recovery mode giving me enough time to locate and track it. Same as on my iPhone 5s with Find My iPhone app.

alom5

Dec 4, 2010
These features are available on the note 3 add well. Go settings - genetal - security and it's all there

iwanme

Jul 13, 2009
as for my other phone which is a HTC One 2013, as long as it has charge and pin/pattern/password set-up, no one could turn it off
Every unibody phone has a reset combination. For HTC One AFAIK its holding POWER button for 10 sec. and additionally VOL DOWN and POWER combination for factory reset confirmed with additional VOL DOWN click.

dr.m0x

Oct 28, 2010
Auckland
But it has to be OFF before you can do a hard reset through hardware buttons.

Which was just explained to you how to shut it off... NO phone is secure... All phones turn off if you hold the power button long enough whether they have password protection or not...

This. All phones have this safety feature. Ten seconds and they switch off. How else do you switch off a uni body phone which has stopped responding?

Reactivation lock all the way

Sent from my SM-N900 using xda app-developers app

This will make it a brick for the average thief but it can be bypassed. Plenty of dodgy phone shops around who will do it for you.

Top Liked Posts