[Updated 07-Apr-2009] DeviceUpdate v2.1.1.1 released! Over 1,000,000 apps served!

Search This thread

CRCinAU

Oct 29, 2007
Melbourne
www.crc.id.au
Hi all,

Device Update is an 'appstore' type application to automatically download and install from a list of selected applications.

Improvements so far over v1 include:
* Complete backend rewrite.
* Developer level access to update applications.
* Complete application rating system.
* Compressed software catalog means the application loads 450% faster!
* Compressed CAB files mean less time waiting and less data transfer to pay for.
* Integrated application information
* More error trapping than ever before
* Complete integrated web site for ease of use and for developers
* Live updates of download stats on the web site.
* Application reviews on the web site.
* Auto-install applications after hard reset or new ROM install (Requires Premium Membership).
* Install applications to SD Card
* EVEN MORE!

http://www.crc.id.au/deviceupdate/users

What is a Standard Account vs a Premium Account?
http://www.crc.id.au/deviceupdate/user-premium.pl

Read the list of commonly asked questions (The FAQ):
http://www.crc.id.au/deviceupdate/user-faq.pl

A list of supported devices can be found at:
http://www.crc.id.au/deviceupdate/user-devices.pl

You can track statistics on the Device Update web site:
http://www.crc.id.au/deviceupdate

Are you a developer and want your applications listed? Check out:
http://www.crc.id.au/deviceupdate/dev-account.pl

ROM Cooks, please read this before including DeviceUpdate in your ROM:
http://www.crc.id.au/deviceupdate/cook-howto.pl

download.pl

Downloads
Download v2.1.1.1

Last edited:

CRCinAU

Oct 29, 2007
Melbourne
www.crc.id.au
Changelogs:

Server Side Changes - 15-Jun-2009:
* Added index generation support for unknown devices.
* Added logic to generate indexes via screen resolution if no specific hardware ID is known.
* Fixed issues with device specific software (such as Hermes camera drivers) that caused them not to show in certain situations.
* Optimised SQL queries to lower load (even further) on server.
* Activated v3 of index generation software with the above changes.

v2.1.2.0 Beta released - 13-Jun-2009:
* Available to all Premium Account holders.
* Changed method to detect Hardware Device ID. Should now be a lot less variation with hardware codes.
* Added logic to fall back to screen resolution (and exclude some programs that may cause issues) as a key to select available software instead of giving a "Unsupported Device" error.
* Should have VERY few unsupported devices now.

Server Side Changes - 07-May-2009:
* Added support for HTC Touch Diamond 2.
* Added another hardware code to HTC Raphael.

Server Side Changes - 09-Apr-2009:
* Added beta support for HP iPAQ 200/210/211/212/214 devices. Please test if you have one of these devices.

Server Side Changes - 08-Apr-2009:
* Added support for HTC Trinity (TRIN100) devices. PM me if your Trinity shows "Unsupported Device".

v2.1.1.1 - 07-Apr-2009:
* Rewrote Auto-Install prompting to make integration into ROMs much better. Allows for establishing Wifi/ActiveSync connections for data transfer etc.

Server Side Changes - 13-Mar-2009:
* Added support for the HTC Magician (PM10A). PM me if your Magician shows "Unsupported Device".

Server Side Changes - 12-Mar-2009:
* Added User Interface for voting, autoinstall etc.
* Added Auto-Install logic.
* Added Premium Subscription option ($5AUD per month) for access to auto-install and future features.

v2.1.0.15 - 12-Mar-2009:
* Fixed bug causing Required Updates to not be Required.
* Added facility to auto-install applications after a hard reset or new ROM install.
* Added 'My Devices' option to register device with the new Users Interface web site under Menu -> My Devices
* Added functionality to check membership information from within DeviceUpdate under Menu -> My Devices
* Added option to force auto-install to run under Menu -> My Devices
* Added logic to identify devices even after a hard reset or new ROM install.
* Lots of code optimisation and rewrites.

Server Side Change - 18-Feb-2009:
* Added Sony XP1 aka HTC Kovsky (X1, X1a, X1c, X1i).
* Added another OEM Device ID for the HTC Diamond (HTC Touch Diamond P3490)

Server Side Change - 14-Feb-2009:
* Added more OEM Device IDs for device recognition for HTC Diamond, Raphael, and a number of other devices.
* Added support for HTC Artemis (ARTE10000, ARTE11000, ARTE20000)
* We now recognise over 41 different devices via hardware ID.

v2.0.8.1 - 13-Feb-2009:
* Added support for VGA devices.

Server Side Change - 13-Feb-2009:
* Added backwards compatibility for AppToDate from the main DeviceUpdate administration interface. Allows developers to upload their application and provide an external URL for keeping existing AppToDate users in sync with Device Update users.
* Added support for the following devices:
  • HTC Blue Angel (QVGA)
  • HTC Blackstone (WVGA)
  • HTC Raphael (VGA)
  • HTC Jade (VGA)
  • HTC Diamond (VGA)
  • O2 Atom (QVGA)
  • HTC Opal (QVGA)
  • XDA Zest (VGA)
  • HTC Elf (QVGA)

v2.0.8.0 - 11-Feb-2009:
* Added option to use Shell Installer (allows installing to SD card if cabs allow & workaround of WCELOAD errors)
* Added option to skip data transfer warning at beginning of app.
* Added logic to check if CAB Security policy is enabled, if so only use shell installer (WCELOAD will always fail if this is enabled)

Server Side Change - 10-Feb-2009:
* Added support for HTC Herald (HERA100)
* Added support for developer registration

Server Side Change - 09-Feb-2009:
* Added support for HTC Titan models (TITA100)
* Added support for HTC Polaris models (Polaris, HTC_P3650)
* Added support for HTC Vogue models (VOGU100)

v2.0.7.8 - 08-Feb-2009:
* Added support for Kaiser devices.
* Fixed client sizing issues for VGA devices

v2.0.6.4 - 07-Feb-2009:
* Initial public release of v2.
* Currently supports Hermes only devices.

Last edited:

CRCinAU

Oct 29, 2007
Melbourne
www.crc.id.au
Installing via SDAutorun
Copy the CAB file to \Storage Card\ on your device.

Add the following to \Storage Card\SDConfig.txt:
Code:
CAB: \Storage Card\DeviceUpdate-v2.1.x.x.cab

If you don't already have a file \Storage Card\SDConfig.txt, create it and use the following:
Code:
LOCK:Enabled
CAB: \Storage Card\DeviceUpdate_v2.1.0.15.cab
LOCK:Disabled
RST: Reset

This will allow you to automatically upgrade to whatever version of DeviceUpdate is the latest and auto-install your applications

Milestones reached

07-May-2009 - Over 375,000 applications served to over 170,000 people!
23-Apr-2009 - Over 320,000 applications served!
07-Apr-2009 - Over 250,000 applications served!
22-Mar-2009 - Over 180,000 applications served to over 68,000 people!
13-Mar-2009 - Served over 50,000 users worldwide.
02-Mar-2009 - Over 100,000 applications served to over 33,000 people!
28-Feb-2009 - Over 90,000 applications served.
24-Feb-2009 - Over 70,000 applications served.
23-Feb-2009 - Served over 20,000 users worldwide.
18-Feb-2009 - Over 40,000 applications served.
18-Feb-2009 - Served over 12,000 users worldwide.
16-Feb-2009 - Over 30,000 applications served.
14-Feb-2009 - Reached 100 applications in the DeviceUpdate database.
14-Feb-2009 - Served over 5,000 users worldwide.
14-Feb-2009 - Over 20,000 applications served.
13-Feb-2009 - Over 1,000 unique downloads of the DeviceUpdate application from this thread.
13-Feb-2009 - Served over 3,000 users worldwide.
12-Feb-2009 - Over 15,000 applications served.
10-Feb-2009 - Over 10,000 applications served to users of v2.x of Device Update.
07-Feb-2009 - Device Update v2 released to the public.

Last edited:

jimmur

Jul 22, 2006
Knoxville
CRC I am running a Titan with WM6.5 and yesterday I used your program with no problems, today it loaded a new version and said "unsupported device". Any way to get back to old version?

Thanks

CRCinAU

Oct 29, 2007
Melbourne
www.crc.id.au
CRC I am running a Titan with WM6.5 and yesterday I used your program with no problems, today it loaded a new version and said "unsupported device". Any way to get back to old version?

Thanks

Hi mate,

Part of what the last upgrade was is to get things ready for full multi-device support. Sadly, part of that is to disable devices that are not proven to be 100% compatible.

I'm slowly going through and adding extra devices such as the Titan, Opel etc... At the moment, I just ask you to be patient until I can complete this task.

The current supported devices include Hermes & Kaiser with more coming soon.

mthomas

Jan 26, 2007
great tool. It should ask where to install, disk or device. Other than that issue it is great.

skippyd

Aug 22, 2008
device update is looking good on my hermes but I lost support for the titan :-(.... any chance of adding titan back to supported devices...

list of stuff that doesn't work with titan
button 5 fix
camera support
comm vibe
flashlight
htc connection wizard
htc Home - works but setup for keyboard on hermes so the screen is upside down when you open the keyboard.

wallabyman

Dec 5, 2008
In reply to http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=3291339&postcount=88

Just one minor issue, only one occurence, not reproducible: Somehow the connection to your server must have gotten interrupted when I selected to download and install a program. The error was not caught by your program, but instead after about 60 seconds freeze, the .Net Framework (I assume?) threw an unknown error("no error messages installed...").
Is it just one program that does it, or a few different ones?

I guess it is not related to just one program. It happend, after chosing Shap's Advanced Config.

My bug report just related to the fact, that the error was not brought up by the program itself. Turning Wifi off and on made everything work again and the app installed on second try.

(My Hermes does not stay reliably connected to the internet, this is not an "Device Update" issue. WiFi stys connected, but DNS or TCP packets will get lost. This instability of internet connectivity has lead to the error reported)

CRCinAU

Oct 29, 2007
Melbourne
www.crc.id.au
device update is looking good on my hermes but I lost support for the titan :-(.... any chance of adding titan back to supported devices...

list of stuff that doesn't work with titan
button 5 fix
camera support
comm vibe
flashlight
htc connection wizard
htc Home - works but setup for keyboard on hermes so the screen is upside down when you open the keyboard.

Titan support wasn't intentional before - now it will be :) It also means that when CABs are submitted, the developers can choose which devices to install on. This gives us the ability to have QVGA, VGA and other resolution apps - as well as app specific stuff.

While the narrowed device support seems like a step backwards at the moment, it is actually a huge step forwards - as the only actions now required is backend support for these devices.

And, seeing as you provided a lot of into that I needed, I'll add Titan support in the next hour or so.

Edit: Oh, and are there any other OEM codes for the Titan than TITA100?

Edit 2: And any reason why htc connection wizard doesn't work on the titans?

Last edited:

CRCinAU

Oct 29, 2007
Melbourne
www.crc.id.au
I've added support for Titans & Polaris devices today.

If people with these devices could test it out and post any applications that don't work on your device, I'll go through and update things.

jim256

Nov 26, 2007
thought of combining forces with gecko?

or maybe jak portal?

I am pretty sure there are even one or two more of these types of apps that have popped up recently, but can't remember the app or dev names just now.

If ALL of you guys could really combine forces I'm sure we would have an absolutely AMAZING app manager application!

...Looking good...

CRCinAU

Oct 29, 2007
Melbourne
www.crc.id.au
thought of combining forces with gecko?

or maybe jak portal?

Yes and no. Device Update came along quite some time ago, but was only developed on the Hermes... v1 of Device Update came out around 5 months ago from memory - maybe longer.

While the apps above sound ok, I have serious concerns about the technical side of how they run things - which is why for the moment I have just improved Device Update. At the moment, the current v2 infrastructure serves up around 400 cabs per hour. Since the v2 release on the 7th of this month, I've already served up nearly 6,500 cabs! This load seems to be unsustainable with some other project similar to Device Update.

I am pretty sure there are even one or two more of these types of apps that have popped up recently, but can't remember the app or dev names just now.

If ALL of you guys could really combine forces I'm sure we would have an absolutely AMAZING app manager application!

...Looking good...

Yeah - there's been a few and I got more and more frustrated at some of the major shortcomings in the newer projects - hence why I sad down for about a month and re-wrote Device Update into what it is now. The good part is that it's a VERY stable and VERY scalable infrastructure now and will work with all Windows Mobile devices once I get around to working out compatibility issues with applications.

This will take a little while as I take the safer approach as to make sure an application won't kill a device. After this is done, I can look at the options for a better UI.

This being said, when re-writing Device Update, I went through over 30 different designs for the UI, and I couldn't find a way to present all the information required in a good way. After the backend settles down, I'll focus a bit more on making things user friendly.

Last edited:

jim256

Nov 26, 2007
Yes and no. Device Update came along quite some time ago, but was only developed on the Hermes... v1 of Device Update came out around 5 months ago from memory - maybe longer.

While the apps above sound ok, I have serious concerns about the technical side of how they run things - which is why for the moment I have just improved Device Update. At the moment, the current v2 infrastructure serves up around 400 cabs per hour. Since the v2 release on the 7th of this month, I've already served up nearly 6,500 cabs! This load seems to be unsustainable with some other project similar to Device Update.

Yeah - there's been a few and I got more and more frustrated at some of the major shortcomings in the newer projects - hence why I sad down for about a month and re-wrote Device Update into what it is now. The good part is that it's a VERY stable and VERY scalable infrastructure now and will work with all Windows Mobile devices once I get around to working out compatibility issues with applications.

This will take a little while as I take the safer approach as to make sure an application won't kill a device. After this is done, I can look at the options for a better UI.

This being said, when re-writing Device Update, I went through over 30 different designs for the UI, and I couldn't find a way to present all the information required in a good way. After the backend settles down, I'll focus a bit more on making things user friendly.

Ok, thanks for the response.

Very understandable, I figured something like that may be the issue.

I will be sure to give yours a try!

Thanks,
Jim.