USB OTG (USB host functionality) on Razr - Working!

Search This thread

X_Marine

Apr 13, 2012
Houston Tx
Update, It's working quite well with a powered USB hub. I am running the "aMCA - Nr16 Mobile CA" software from play store to setup and control the 808 #16 camera. The same dev has another app for accessing the cam video via Razr. I'm also able to access thumb drives for file operations. This particular hub has 4 USB B, and one mini UBS plus small input for power. I run cable from OTG to the mini USB then I can access whatever I plug into the hub. Pretty sweet.

Almost forgot, this is on a Razr Maxx, XT(912), JB, still unrooted. :(
And the eBay OTG cable w/power cable.

Many thanks to all that contributed.
X/BillyD.. :good:

Last edited:

Horgun

Aug 3, 2013
Cuiabá - MT
Only Mouse and keyboard working

Hi, i really like this forum, it has really useful stuff.
I got it to work using only a Y cable and a power suply.
The thing is: it only works with a mouse and keyboard.
Is it possible that i really need to use a hub for it to work with flash drives ?

Thanks.

EDIT: I finally got it to work! I had to use a APP called usb host controller to mount it.

Last edited:

kaitoukid93

Mar 27, 2013
help

i'v read 9 pages but anyone can tell me does external usb or hard drive work? like playing the movie through the usb OTG.thanks

farhan76242

Jun 19, 2012
Karachi
i have the proper nokia cable which works on the Xoom but it wil not work on the RAZR (i assume) until like the Xoom a custom kernel can be installed to access this feature.

Zymz

Mar 20, 2015
Yay got it to work!

I just got a hand-me-down Droid Razr XT912 (Verizon) and decided to see if I could get OTG to work properly for me.
I have SafeStrap and LiquidSmooth 3.1 (Android 4.4.4) custom Rom "Rooted" on the phone at this point,

Using a standard power adapter plugged into a cheap OTG cable I ordered from China and connected to a "Plugable" USB 3 Hub, then Connecting the whole wire-y mess to my phone worked great, although I did have to install ES3 File Explorer to access usb devices I plugged into the hub, the phone couldn't see files on a FAT16 (standard FAT) formatted USB stick, it could see the stick, but it couldn't see any files on it, so I reformatted the Stick and it seems it can see files if the drive is formatted to FAT32 or NTFS, I haven't tried any linux formats but I'm sure at least some of them would work.

The phone charges while being able to also access files on USB drives connected to the Hub, so far I haven't been able to get any devices to work directly without the hub, but I could see one of the devices did have power from the OTG cable / Power Plug Combo, the ES File Manager can see devices directly plugged in without the hub but I get a "Sorry Operation Failed" message when I try to browse files on the USB Stick. I'll keep working with it and edit this to reflect anything else I figure out.

I'll add photos later, I can't right now though because I am a junior member ;) wouldn't want me posting something scary on my first day! =D

I've no clue if this will help anybody else researching this, but maybe it can. =)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @Karmarock

micro-usb-b.jpg

1 VCC Red +5 V
    2 D− White Data −
    3 D+ Green Data +
    4 ID none Mode Identification
    5 GND Black Ground

LapDock:
    +5V and GND connected directly to the battery of the LapDock, TX+RX connected to the integrated USB HUB.

Docking Station:
    +5V and GND connected directly to external power (5V AC), TX+RX connected to the integrated USB HUB.

Oh, in BOTH, for enabling the Host Mode, pins 4 and 5 are shortcircuited, exactly as the USB OTG specifications.
    Success at last!!!

Used an external HUB and a new OTG cable [credits to Kholk].
    Didn't worked with the external power from the HUB (actually didn't recharge the Razr).
    Worked using Y wire.
    Could only access pendrives when connected to the HUB.
    Very strange as I supposed it should also work just connecting directly any memory stick to the OTG cable (powered with the Y cable)! Instead an USB HUB is required!
    Checked back and actually this configuration works also with the samsung cable (this confirms to me its a real OTG cable, I was so desperate that came to thinking it was just plain plug converter).
    So maybe I made 3 working OTG cables, but was checking the wrong configuration!

To my great surprise the Razr dretects when the device is connected (just wait for a bunch of seconds) and lets you also explore it and unmount it even without using webtob (just select the option from the USB Icon that will appear in the upper bar).

The good news (not to me as I wasted a lot of time soldering) is that this setup can be obtained with standard cables:
    -Any real OTG micro USB male to USB female
    -Any USB male to mini USB male Y cable with extra USB male just for power (standard for some external HDD)
    -An external USB Hub with female mini USB in.

Before updating my first post will do some more experiments and let you know about the findings.
    I successfully got OTG functionality working! It took a little modification of some standard USB cables, but here's how I did it:

I ordered a USB OTG cable (Micro USB male to USB Female) from Ebay for $1.99, including shipping.
    I had a USB extension cable (USB Male to USB Female) that I purchased from the dollar store (for $1.00)
    I had another outdated USB cable (Mini USB) that I no longer used

Cut the USB extension cable in half and strip all 4 wires inside (on both cut ends).
    Then cut off the Mini USB end of the Mini USB cable. Strip the 4 wires (mine was strictly a charging cable, so it only had 2-red and black).
    Connect the white and green (data) wires of both ends of the USB extension cable, being careful to insulate each wire from touching one another.
    Connect the red and black wires to each other as well, and connect the black and red wires from the third cable (JUST the black and red wires are needed).

Voila! Now plug the OTG cable into your phone, and use the extension cable as a normal extension cable to connect your USB devices. Then take the extra cable (the one with just the black and red wires connected) and plug it into your USB wall charger. There you go! If you did everything right, this should work perfectly!

I just wrote this entire post using my OTG setup with a hub, a USB mouse, and a USB keyboard.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using XDA Premium
    Dismounted a micro usb male to USB female cable, to my surprise found it with connection 4 free.
    Hence made the 4-5 bridge and checked again.
    Yet no usb host connectivity with an external powered 2.5 HD.
    The HD happened to charge the Razr.
    Hence modified the cable disconnecting the +5V.
    Now I should have an OTG cable with an external powered devices.
    As soon as I'll find back my USB Y cable I'll check with it and some external devices to see if any of them is recognized right out of the box.

Yet I suspect that, like the Razr Upon USB connection let you choose between some differents kind of connections, maybe some settings has to trigger host mode.
    Any idea?