[SOLVED] Broken screen, factory restored thru Lapdock, what now?

Search This thread

DanAdamKOF

Jul 5, 2007
Dallas
Edit: Solved! See post #3 for information on how I solved this.

Long story short I got an AT&T Atrix from a friend with an Atrix Lapdock. I'm not 100% sure of the details but he had opened the Atrix (to replace the digitizer I think) and messed up the screen to where the backlight turns on but it's always black. The digitizer still works. He wanted me to factory restore the Atrix so I did so via the Lapdock by going into settings and selecting factory restore. After it booted up again it did not boot into Webtop mode. Well great, now I'm running the phone blind.

I think I was at the "Emergency calls only" screen since clicking the bottom of the screen above the soft buttons, then towards the top, played dialtones, so I got a SIM card (out of my Sprint Touch Pro 2, just for the sake of having any SIM card in it) and rebooted with the SIM in it. I'm at a different screen now, where I can make the motor buzz by tapping the soft buttons, and if I hold the Menu (4 squares icon, leftmost soft button) it pulls up a keyboard. I believe this is the Motoblur setup screen. As stupid as it may sound, I tried entering the "123/alt/abc/e/123/alt/abc/e/b/l/u/r/o/f/f" command by eyeballing the screen, but I don't think I deactivated it since it seemed like I could still interact with this screen the same way. I tried pressing (what I felt was) 123/alt/abc on the phone, and using the Lapdock to input the letters, but that didn't seem to do anything either.

ADB is definitely not enabled, I can launch fastboot (or any of the fastboot options, such as "Fastboot" "NVFlash" "BP HW Bypass..." etc, I wrote these down and just blindly input however many Down presses to activate it).

My next plan is to print off a screenshot of the Atrix keyboard to-scale with the screen and use that as a guide to input the "bluroff" command, hopefully doing that will get the phone into a state where it can activate Webtop.

Strangely, while I was in the presumed Emergency Calls mode without a SIM, either me spazzing out on the screen or some weird luck got the Entertainment Center to appear. However I could not navigate it at all using the Lapdock, not through arrow keys or using the mouse. I've never gotten that to happen again.

If this is a failure, my main purpose in getting these from him was to use the Lapdock as a small and luggable HDMI monitor (via adapters) so I'm not too disappointed, but it would be nice to have the Atrix working as much as it did prior to factory-restoring it.

Last edited:

htchd2fix

Aug 25, 2011
Long story short I got an AT&T Atrix from a friend with an Atrix Lapdock. I'm not 100% sure of the details but he had opened the Atrix (to replace the digitizer I think) and messed up the screen to where the backlight turns on but it's always black. The digitizer still works. He wanted me to factory restore the Atrix so I did so via the Lapdock by going into settings and selecting factory restore. After it booted up again it did not boot into Webtop mode. Well great, now I'm running the phone blind.

I think I was at the "Emergency calls only" screen since clicking the bottom of the screen above the soft buttons, then towards the top, played dialtones, so I got a SIM card (out of my Sprint Touch Pro 2, just for the sake of having any SIM card in it) and rebooted with the SIM in it. I'm at a different screen now, where I can make the motor buzz by tapping the soft buttons, and if I hold the Menu (4 squares icon, leftmost soft button) it pulls up a keyboard. I believe this is the Motoblur setup screen. As stupid as it may sound, I tried entering the "123/alt/abc/e/123/alt/abc/e/b/l/u/r/o/f/f" command by eyeballing the screen, but I don't think I deactivated it since it seemed like I could still interact with this screen the same way. I tried pressing (what I felt was) 123/alt/abc on the phone, and using the Lapdock to input the letters, but that didn't seem to do anything either.

ADB is definitely not enabled, I can launch fastboot (or any of the fastboot options, such as "Fastboot" "NVFlash" "BP HW Bypass..." etc, I wrote these down and just blindly input however many Down presses to activate it).

My next plan is to print off a screenshot of the Atrix keyboard to-scale with the screen and use that as a guide to input the "bluroff" command, hopefully doing that will get the phone into a state where it can activate Webtop.

Strangely, while I was in the presumed Emergency Calls mode without a SIM, either me spazzing out on the screen or some weird luck got the Entertainment Center to appear. However I could not navigate it at all using the Lapdock, not through arrow keys or using the mouse. I've never gotten that to happen again.

If this is a failure, my main purpose in getting these from him was to use the Lapdock as a small and luggable HDMI monitor (via adapters) so I'm not too disappointed, but it would be nice to have the Atrix working as much as it did prior to factory-restoring it.

wow....thats something.......you still int blur account setting (it uppen when you use a different sim card)....
try to wipe in fastboot
load new rom image that can skip motoblur account set up (like nottach)
when reboots click menu and then right corner down (skip set up) then it should be able to go in webtop mode..
hope it works

DanAdamKOF

Jul 5, 2007
Dallas
Posting to say this worked fine! I used Photoshop to print a screenshot 1.961" wide, carefully cut it out, taped it to the front, called up the keyboard (longpress the menu button, you'll feel it buzz long then very short), and carefully tapped out the Motoblur override. Took a few tries since you can't see what you're tapping (go slowly and use the tip of your finger) and the paper in the way makes it less sensitive. The phone doesn't buzz or anything when it does this, but if you put it on the Lapdock you'll see the swirly small red Motorola M icon signifying Webtop is loading, instead of the big red Motorola M icon that jumps around now and then. Also I had set the language to Spanish during my blind mashing, luckily I'm familiar enough with it to where I could change the language to English easily.

You can activate Motoblur through Webtop after you bypass the initial setup, I'm doing that right now.

htchd2fix I was considering loading up a ROM and seeing if that gave me more luck, but I wasn't sure how they handle Blur and all that, but anyway thanks for your step by step :)

I've attached the screenshot I used of the stock Atrix keyboard, and a Photoshop PSD I made that I used for printing, scaled to (more or less) the Atrix's width, cleaned up a bit, and with a black 1px border to assist in cutting. To whoever made the original screenshot (you're probably on XDA), thank you!

I'm leaving the screenshot taped to the Atrix for now so I can brag about its e-paper display ;)

Last edited: