GPS Antenna Hardware Hack only 2 seconds to fix GPS status ;)

Search This thread

Swell6

Aug 27, 2012
Shoreham-by-Sea
I opened the plastic cover last night after i got irritated with the GPS not finding any sats for 2 minutes. Tried many apps and all reported nothing. Also updated my Radio version to latest and still nothing. Looks like a dead GPS to me. So i opened the cover and saw the contacts on the motherboard were slanted to the right enough to not make contact (it's a guess) so i tried to straighten them up but one of them snapped off. Such a flimsy PoS....Soldering is my last option to fix this.

One question though, does it matter what the length of the cable is to get the best possible service from the GPS? :fingers-crossed:

I found that using cables results in a weaker signal, but if you do, make them as short as possible. I replaced both of those crappy brass connectors with better quality ones taken from a blackberry battery connector bought on eBay. Soldered on ok, but go carefully. Found that the antenna's great provided there's a decent connection to the PCB.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda app-developers app

Ansib

Nov 7, 2010
MANCHESTER
Well today i tried. Unfortunatly still nothing, did i dun goofed and messed it up or something?

i.imgur.com/lFzJMbUl.jpg (copy and paste into browser, i cant post images due to have low post count)

Swell6

Aug 27, 2012
Shoreham-by-Sea
Well today i tried. Unfortunatly still nothing, did i dun goofed and messed it up or something?

i.imgur.com/lFzJMbUl.jpg (copy and paste into browser, i cant post images due to have low post count)

Think I misunderstood your post, thought you were soldering the cover antenna to the contacts using wires, so sorry about that. You could try a longer loop of wire, or even a single wire sticking out of the cover soldered to the contact nearest the camera. Apparently steel wire e.g. food sealer tie does better than copper or aluminium. Some examples earlier in the thread.

Ansib

Nov 7, 2010
MANCHESTER
Think I misunderstood your post, thought you were soldering the cover antenna to the contacts using wires, so sorry about that. You could try a longer loop of wire, or even a single wire sticking out of the cover soldered to the contact nearest the camera. Apparently steel wire e.g. food sealer tie does better than copper or aluminium. Some examples earlier in the thread.

Thanks for the reply. It was my intention to do it this way. Not sure why it wasn't working :silly:

I've got a twisty sealer thing. Let's see if that works! At this point i don't really care if i have a cable sticking out from the back of the phone lol

Ansib

Nov 7, 2010
MANCHESTER
Just a quick follow up from yesterday. I took Swell6's advice and used a bread tie which can also be found on toys that are attached to cardboard and such. Soldered one end to the joint next to the camera and left the other one as is AND IT WORKS!

I got 11 sats indoors with an accuracy of 10 metres. Not bad at all

And you can see the crappy DIY yourself here

Doesn't look pretty but after owning the phone since launch, i couldn't care less tbh. Finally happy i got the GPS working.

Just a little question for anyone that knows. Will snipping a bit of the wire affect the signal strength in any way? I wouldn't mind haven't it a bit shorter. It's just begging to prick me in my leg.

Swell6

Aug 27, 2012
Shoreham-by-Sea
Just a quick follow up from yesterday. I took Swell6's advice and used a bread tie which can also be found on toys that are attached to cardboard and such. Soldered one end to the joint next to the camera and left the other one as is AND IT WORKS!

I got 11 sats indoors with an accuracy of 10 metres. Not bad at all

And you can see the crappy DIY yourself here

Doesn't look pretty but after owning the phone since launch, i couldn't care less tbh. Finally happy i got the GPS working.

Just a little question for anyone that knows. Will snipping a bit of the wire affect the signal strength in any way? I wouldn't mind haven't it a bit shorter. It's just begging to prick me in my leg.

You could always try folding it in half. Interesting to see the effect.

Reactions: Ansib

Swell6

Aug 27, 2012
Shoreham-by-Sea
You could always try folding it in half. Interesting to see the effect.

Also be interesting to see how it works if the wire is stashed under the cover......

My daughter has a Samsung Tab 2 7" and GPS reception is amazing with SNRs over 30 indoors! Never got close to that with the DHD. Samsung has a plastic case and I wonder if that's a major factor. I gather that aluminum interferes with the GPS signal, which is maybe why we struggle so much with the DHD, and explains why an antenna outside the case works so well. That said, I still get a reasonable reception from the standard antenna - not as good as with a twisty tie, but still not bad. Helped by the cover being plastic of course with the actual antenna right on the outside. Just need a good connection to the PCB, which is the challenge!

Last edited:

Arikuzo

Oct 16, 2013
Thank you, after struggling to get my DHDs GPS working for six months I came along this. I did the soldering and now it is as good as new. I got my DHD on launch.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Ansib

Nov 7, 2010
MANCHESTER
The bread tie didn't last long, the pressure from closing the case was too much for the wire after having to adjust it every now and then to get a good signal :rolleyes:

Looks like i'm going to have to find something a bit more flexible that works with the cover snapped firmly in place.

Swell6

Aug 27, 2012
Shoreham-by-Sea
The bread tie didn't last long, the pressure from closing the case was too much for the wire after having to adjust it every now and then to get a good signal :rolleyes:

Looks like i'm going to have to find something a bit more flexible that works with the cover snapped firmly in place.

At one point I had a tie though a hole in the cover looped around the outside of the cover with tape holding it in place. Signal strength not as good as with the wire sticking out but it was a stable setup.

Lugke

Jul 26, 2013
Munich
OnePlus 5
Google Pixel 4 XL
really nice results with all this modding, i added a copper wire to the inside contacts and i slightly have a better reception outdoor and indoor.
But these long 5 cm steel wires look so awesome!

my plan is to mill a small gap into the housing on the backside and lay the wire into the gap. Perhaps some epoxy resin over it to fix the constuction... i´ll send some pictures when i find some time for it :D
hopefully it helps with reception

Yoshi_523

Sep 11, 2010
Sick Harware Modz!

:cool:
Thanks for all your ideas and comments guys! I had a crack at this GPS antenna mod and also the Battery mod (using a HTC EVO 3D Battery). If you want to check out the battery mod thread my post & pics are on page 26, here's the link for that page: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1344761&page=26#post66099295. Through testing and checking the numbers/stats I was able to confirm a great improvement for both mods! :)

I am getting the same amazing results like this user Joe Baliu on page 35 (SNR levels in the 40's) using my homemade GPS antenna but I should add that I only get the absolute best results with both the silicone phone cover off and the GPS antenna bent out slightly from the metal phone housing. It should also be noted that the phone in portrait mode (vertical) has a slightly better SNR numbers than in horizontal. (It seems true the rumours that there is probably some issue with the aluminium phone housing dampening/interferring with the signal which is why you get better reception as soon as the home made antenna is bent even slightly away from the case.) Thankfully in the worst conditions weather condition I just do this to get a quick lock then throw the silicone cover back on. Since there are issues of both f*ck around factor of removing and replacing the silicone cover and bending & re-bending GPS antenna (which might possibly snap it eventually, requiring a resolder, I only do this on overcast days when I'm running late and need a GPS lock quicker and am waiting to drive my car somewhere in a hurry. Normally I only use the phone with the silicone case still on (which is still a great improvement IMHO from stock), or to improve GPS lock time just a moderate amount without bending the antenna I simply remove the silicone case, get a lock then put it back on, before hitting the roads.

It was a few months ago when I did this build and I didn't write down my measurements (so I forget) but for the antenna measurement, going off what it says on (http://www.antenna-theory.com/design/gps.php), I'm pretty sure I used the measurements of a half-wavelength at GPS frequency (1.575 GHz) which is a piece of wire about 9.5 cm or 3.75 inches. I used a piece of solder as the entire antenna wire and a piece of heat shrink that fit it perfectly. I then "tacked" it on by only soldering on very quickly with the soldering iron (too long and the length of solder wire will shrink/break). I found that the properties of using a piece of solder wire for the entire antenna is that it stays very flexible and so it can take more bending before it is likley to snap at the solder connection such as with most common metal wires people have tried here. As you can see in my photos I've folded the homemade antenna in half. I soldered one end to one of the contacts and the other end to the other contact. I used the soldering iron to carefully melt hole in the plastic panel (the panel for the LEDs and GPS Antenna) so that I could fit the wire though it as seen in my photos. As I hope you can see in my photos the silicone cover nicely keeps the antenna and EVO 3D battery all safe from bumps & knocks. It doesn't make the silicone case bow/stick out much more on the back but it is noticable in the sides of the silicone case from the front of the phone (as shown in my photo). No biggie IMO.

29pewkm.jpg

2mnq6n8.jpg

2cg07ie.jpg

2057cy0.jpg

ziprn9.jpg

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is only interesting for technical gifted people, because you can brick your device !!!
    I would like to share a GPS Antenna Hardware Hack i found here "http://www.androidpit.de/de/android/forum/thread/435065/HTC-Desire-HD-Hast-du-GPS-Probleme-mit-deinem-DHD"into the internet some time ago.
    I tryed allot of fixing apps and software modifications but nothing works realy good for daily work with gps so i started to soldering a cable (0,8mm) to the GPS Antenna contacts (have a look to the picture)
    after the assembly and a new start I had after 10sec sat-fix from 5-6 satellites in the room!!!
    Outside I have sat-fix within 2 sec :D

Here some steps how to do, but be carefull you will lose the warranty of your device

1. open the device like in the youtube video described (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qm_z65LA8k)
    2. solder a cable to the antenna contacts like the picture shows
    2011-09-25%2019_06_44111.jpg

3. assembly the device ... reboot and have fun ;)

CoreDroid_TeamSensation_Banner.png

Big THX goes to pooganes for sharing his idea on Andropit

ROM: CoreDroid DHD V8.2 RC8
    Phone: HTC Desire HD
    Android Version: Android 2.3.4
    Build No: 1.45.401.2
    Sense Version: 3.0
    Kernel: 2.6.35.14 - Lord Clockan V4 CFS (with Killersloth UV Scripts)
    Radio: 12.62.60.27U_26.13.04.19_M
    This thread is only interesting for technical gifted people, because you can brick your device !!!
    I would like to share a GPS Antenna Hardware Hack i found into the internet some time ago.
    I tryed allot of fixing apps and software modifications but nothing works realy good for daily work with gps so i started to soldering a cable (0,8mm) to the GPS Antenna contacts (have a look to the picture)
    after the assembly and a new start I had after 10sec sat-fix from 5-6 satellites in the room!!!
    Outside I have sat-fix within 2 sec :D

Here some steps how to do, but be carefull you will lose the warranty of your device

1. open the device
    2. solder a cable to the antenna contacts like the picture shows
    3. assembly the device ... reboot and have fun

I enyo that all of you like this work but this was Copy and Paste from a other forum. NeXT times, it would be nice if you could call my name and the forum where you found it, because it is MY PICTURE MY IDEA...made in Germany!... still nice that you like it, but thanks goes to me :)
    Ok, tried this yesterday.
    No soldering though, as I was scared to ruin the phone.
    Grabbed a 3 cm cable from a 12v car leds and just hooked them up to the 2 pins, just twisting a little so they don't come off.
    At first the results where not much different. Opened it again, rewired them and voilá.
    It's like magic. Just got close to my window and bang!, less then 5 seconds.
    I even wiped the phone and installed the rom again and still works!

By the way, I looked at the contacts of the cover itself and tried to rub a little bit with a screwdriver to remove possible rust. Bad news.
    Most certainly, the gps problem lies with these contacts. They are too thin!
    When I tried to rub a little, I started to see the plastic underneath!!!

So, maybe, the little dark dots we see in them are just the plastic showing up due to use. That's why gps doesn't work as it should.
    If I could find a way of isolating only the pins while soldering, that would protect the motherboard from any mistake I make. Like a piece of aluminum foil with two little holes in it or something.
    Hmmmm... Might try that.
    Thanks!
    By the way, what kind of cable did you use? Anything special?

nothing special , i used 0,8mm copper cable that i had from an old headset
    Do you mind posting some pictures dj sampson?:)

uploadfromtaptalk1332124784861.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1332124799279.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1332124819543.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1332124831952.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1332124842262.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1332124852820.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1332124880159.jpg

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk