Unroot and return to stock

Search This thread

ccapasso

Jan 15, 2010
I am in need of some quick assistance. I opened my case to my GT10.1 this morning and found a scratch. I have until tomorrow to return this and plan on doing so at lunch today (about 3 hours from now).

Being as I am rooted, how do I un-root and return to stock?

Do I just flash this:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1118132

and if so, do I flash it from recovery or what?

pandamaja

Jun 18, 2011
I'm not sure that would unroot the device. In this thread there's a link to the stock rom, but again, I don't believe that would unroot. Where did you buy it? I'm pretty sure they'd probably just take it back anyway. Chances are the employees won't even be able to tell its rooted.

ccapasso

Jan 15, 2010
I'm not sure that would unroot the device. In this thread there's a link to the stock rom, but again, I don't believe that would unroot. Where did you buy it? I'm pretty sure they'd probably just take it back anyway. Chances are the employees won't even be able to tell its rooted.

Actually, I went ahead and flashed the 3.1 OTA which does indeed return it to stock/unroot as the apps the required root are no longer working. However, you have to do a wipe as well to remove all of your apps/data/etc. Afterwards, I hooked it up to my computer and removed all of the non-stock folders.

I got it from Best Buy and since I'm a premiere silver customer, I have 45 days to return with no re-stock fee :). Honestly though, I just want a new one.

ccapasso

Jan 15, 2010
The only thing I'm not sure on is the recovery. I did not check that to see if it was still CWM or not. I'm guessing they won't even check that though (or hoping rather).

pandamaja

Jun 18, 2011
The only thing I'm not sure on is the recovery. I did not check that to see if it was still CWM or not. I'm guessing they won't even check that though (or hoping rather).

You'll get a blank confused stare if you mention the word recovery. :) Its good to know that its that easy to unroot. I wonder if odin can remove the custom recovery. I really have little to no knowledge of these things.

pandamaja

Jun 18, 2011
I'm sure they had other things on their mind at customer service. If it were geek squad it might be another story, those nerds are on to us!

ccapasso

Jan 15, 2010
I'm sure they had other things on their mind at customer service. If it were geek squad it might be another story, those nerds are on to us!

lol...True.

So I had them put on the Invisible Shield while I was there (this way I avoided doing it and no finger prints). I let it sit in my office over the weekend then turned it on today. Come to find out, a brand new in box that I have has the locked bootloader :(. Luckily, I read up on things and have since rooted it.

EvoXOhio

Mar 23, 2011
So let me get this straight, you scratched your device and returned it for a new one? That doesn't seem wrong to you?

ccapasso

Jan 15, 2010
So let me get this straight, you scratched your device and returned it for a new one? That doesn't seem wrong to you?

First, I scratched nothing. It was in a protective case (Belkin Case) in the same spot overnight not moving. Nothing touched it, nor did anyone. I opened the case (lifted the flap) and there was what looked like a small scratch. As I looked at it more, there seemed to be more of a dent to the scratch than anything. Maybe it was a crack, either way I'm not sure. Regardless, I returned it as in my opinion, this was not caused by me, and was more than likely a defect. This is suppose to be (as I've been told) Gorilla Glass, which I believe is hard to scratch. Nevertheless, my device (which was under coverage/warranty/within return time frame) was flawed and as such returned. If it was something that I had done, things would be different.

Anyways, back on topic (thanks for the de-rail/non-helpful/offtopic post). It was easy enough to un-root and just as easy to get things going to root the new device even though it was locked. Thanks to those who provided useful information :).

Wildo6882

Oct 17, 2011
This looks like a good place for me to ask my question...

I'm getting a used GTab 10.1 (should get it tomorrow) but it's coming rooted and running a custom ROM. I'm a noob when it comes to rooting and romming, especially on tablets. I would really like to unroot and flash it back to stock, but I'm not sure exactly how to do that. The OP said that it was pretty easy, but I'm not sure what I need to do, or what ODIN is, and how that would help me.

If anyone can help me out and give me a few pointers, it would definitely be greatly appreciated.

FillTheVoid

Mar 10, 2011

I'm getting a used GTab 10.1 (should get it tomorrow) but it's coming rooted and running a custom ROM. I'm a noob when it comes to rooting and romming, especially on tablets. I would really like to unroot and flash it back to stock, but I'm not sure exactly how to do that. The OP said that it was pretty easy, but I'm not sure what I need to do, or what ODIN is, and how that would help me.

If anyone can help me out and give me a few pointers, it would definitely be greatly appreciated.

I recommend reading the sticky thread in the Development section. This will have all the files you need to return the tab to stock. It will also help you with..

What clockworkMod recovery is. How to flash the stock ROM zips, and/or Use the Odin flashing software to flash stock recovery and do a full wipe of the tab.

There are some youtube videos out there as well. Read lots and ask questions!

Reactions: Wildo6882

Wildo6882

Oct 17, 2011
Sorry to completely hijack the thread, but I've got everything I need downloaded (I think). Picked up the files for dummies zip in the developer thread and I watched the video on galaxytabhacks.com (and I'll probably watch again). I'm supposed to get the Tab today, so if I have anymore questions, I'll be back here.

Thanks to both of you guys for your advice.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I recommend reading the sticky thread in the Development section. This will have all the files you need to return the tab to stock. It will also help you with..

What clockworkMod recovery is. How to flash the stock ROM zips, and/or Use the Odin flashing software to flash stock recovery and do a full wipe of the tab.

There are some youtube videos out there as well. Read lots and ask questions!
    Also check galaxytabhacks.com. it have videos of rooting, unrooting, installing custom ROMs etc.

Sent from my GT-P7510