[ROM-AOSP] Stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2_r1 for the Kindle Fire [02-12 4.2.2_r1]

Search This thread

GezaEchs

Aug 6, 2012
I did a cache / dalvik / system wipe before flashing. Is that sufficient? Or is a factory reset required?

Edit: my bad, I missed the factory reset requirement in the instructions. Sorry! There's some weird graphic glitches with the apparently dirty wipe, so I'll do the FR now.

Last edited:

KindleUser

Dec 7, 2012
Could this be used as a daily software yet?

EDIT: Works great, running on it now, it is AMAZING. All that needs to be fixxed is when it locks, the screen is still on so that won't be good for the battery, all else is fine, and the developer options, well I fixxed that, as I said before, all else is well. :)

Last edited:

Jun 23, 2012
Orange Park
The only issue I have is it doesn't recognize some taps on the screen. This is really present in typing. However this is really annoying when playing games. Is there a solution?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda app-developers app

twa_priv

Feb 10, 2011
There is no advanced settings in this

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

My hardware id's have changed... How do I get adb up and running again?
Yep, OtterParts (Advanced Settings) is not included yet.

Computer -> Device Manager -> Double click on Amazon Kindle Fire -> Driver -> Update Driver -> Browse my computer for ... -> Let me pick ... -> Googe Inc. / Android Composite ADB Interface
Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.

Reactions: awidawad

awidawad

Computer -> Device Manager -> Double click on Amazon Kindle Fire -> Driver -> Update Driver -> Browse my computer for ... -> Let me pick ... -> Googe Inc. / Android Composite ADB Interface
Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.

I've done this, then says incorrect driver. I edited the android_winusb.inf to match my hardware id's. Now it shows up as 2 android composite adb devices(adb STILL won't list the device). Also, I need the drivers to work so I can run logcat because I'm helping port a rasbean ROM from galaxy nexus to the Kindle Fire. So right now I'm stuck in development because it is in a bootloop and I cannot debug till adb works :p

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

The port is based off this rom that's why I'm asking

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
Wow, I'm amazed that we're already up to 4 pages and I haven't seen anybody mention that location services is now working in AOSP. I guess I'm one of only a few that feel it's important. Anyway, so far in early testing, aside from the known issues the rom looks very good and very fluid. Most things that I have tested appear to be working well.

One oddity that I've come across is that smirkit installer will not work with this rom. It gives an error in Terminal Emulator and will not execute. I'm not very proficient with scripting but I'm thinking that something has changed in the 4.2 file structure and conflicts with the smirkit script???

As usual Hashcode, fantastic work! Thanks again.

Mike T

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
Your welcome maybe you could post a link for that for others I have been modifying it since way back its not pretty the long line of id's but it should work for any kindle system.

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
Wow, I'm amazed that we're already up to 4 pages and I haven't seen anybody mention that location services is now working in AOSP. I guess I'm one of only a few that feel it's important. Anyway, so far in early testing, aside from the known issues the rom looks very good and very fluid. Most things that I have tested appear to be working well.

One oddity that I've come across is that smirkit installer will not work with this rom. It gives an error in Terminal Emulator and will not execute. I'm not very proficient with scripting but I'm thinking that something has changed in the 4.2 file structure and conflicts with the smirkit script???

As usual Hashcode, fantastic work! Thanks again.

Mike T

I had installed busybox because installer couldn't locate it I believe the lack of busybox could affect smirkit. Just a guess.
Edit: smirkits a no go for me to webdroidmt it threw errors and said smirkit didn't exist in xbin plus md5 mismatch.

Last edited:

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
Yeah, thanks guys was just looking through the rom and couldn't locate busybox in either bin or xbin and I know smirkit needs it. I kinda' figured that may have been the issue based on the error that I got with smirkit.

Funny, before I tested smirkit, I typed in "whoami" in TE and got "not found" instead of root, thought that was weird. Now I know why. :) Thanks again guys & Pooch I owe you a thanks click, used up my eight for the day. :laugh:

Hashcode, could you please add busybox on your next build? Thanks.

EDIT: Just saw your edit. So, still a no go even with busybox? Cr#p! Ah, you'll still get a thanks for the good effort. I owe you one also, tobiascuypers.

Mike T

---------- Post added at 01:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 AM ----------

I had installed busybox because installer couldn't locate it I believe the lack of busybox could affect smirkit. Just a guess.
Edit: smirkits a no go for me to webdroidmt it threw errors and said smirkit didn't exist in xbin plus md5 mismatch.

Same errors that I got and the smirkit files are definitely there. Maybe the file structure in 4.2 differs from 4.1, I flipped back to my 4.1 nandroid and smirkit worked as usual. Hopefully, someone smarter than me with this stuff figures it out.

Mike T

Last edited:

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
I got it to run but it may not be the best way. I mounted xbin r/w simply copied the extracted folder to xbin, then copied the one smirkit file(which I assume is the .sh and smirkit file folder to the root of xbin, remounted xbin as r/o, then ran it in a terminal and it worked like a champ. Maybe we can plead with our illustrious wizard developers to begin to include this presetup in their builds never need to flash or copy again, recovery and bootloader flashing or switching on the fly. It does it`s own md5 check so its very safe. ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-12-02-30-15.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-12-12-02-30-15.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 909
Last edited:
Reactions: awidawad

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
I got it to run but it may not be the best way. I mounted xbin r/w simply copied the extracted folder to xbin, then copied the one smirkit file(which I assume is the .sh and smirkit file folder to the root of xbin, remounted xbin as r/o, then ran it in a terminal and it worked like a champ. Maybe we can plead with our illustrious wizard developers to begin to include this presetup in their builds never need to flash or copy again, recovery and bootloader flashing or switching on the fly. It does it`s own md5 check so its very safe. ;)

Nice workaround but I seriously doubt that the vast majority of the people here would be willing, or able to do this. The beauty of smirkit is that it's easy and all the commands are pretty much hidden in the background.

Thanks again for your input, it may come in handy for me down the road.

EDIT: On another note, the vertical white flash when I manually turned the screen off that occurred on the previous 4.1 build has been fixed.

Mike T

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    jb-kfire-trio-screenshot.png

AOSP JELLY BEAN 4.2.2_r1

Also included are some optimizations by Texas Instruments and the result is a BLAZING OS running on what is now considered an out-dated memory model (512MB RAM).
    Most OMAP 512MB devices are not supported by their OEM vendors past Gingerbread (LG may be an upcoming exception).

This ROM represents exactly what is being pushed to Nexus 10/7 owners. Now you can join in the fun too!

WHAT'S NEW IN ANDROID 4.2
    See for yourself: http://www.android.com/whatsnew/
    (Note that we don't have a camera or NFC so some of these are obviously not going to work for us)

[2013/02/12] Download 4.2.2_r1 ROM here
    md5sum: f4cc5efb6de779da93670fb48a794d64

PLUS YOU WILL NEED TO FLASH GAPPS AFTER
    Jelly Bean 4.2 Gapps here (CM10.1)
    (use top row CM10.1 link for 12/12)

WHAT WORKS
    (Basically, most items I tested work, except I couldn't get the new swype-style input going on the keyboard)
    • [02/12] AOSP 4.2.2_r1
    • [01/22] Updated with new 3.0.50 kernel including better battery life
    • [01/22] Newest PVR/Imgtec graphics binaries
    • [01/22] Update wifi firmware to R5.SP3.06
    • [12/18] Fixed battery deep sleep
    • [12/18] Added multi-user login fix mentioned by NotShorty found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2018146
    • Hardware Acceleration (hwcomposer)
    • HD Codecs (YouTube/Netflix)
    • Small amount of OTG (some devices w/ powered hub supported)
    • Sound, but no microphone

NOT WORKING
    • Bootanimation needs a display bugfix
    • Need to enable the swype-style 4.2 keyboard
    • I'll check out photo sync options
    • Looking into USB camera support (will probably be more useful when the 3.4 kernel is ready)

REQUIREMENTS
    1. Should be running FireFireFire Bootloader 1.4a found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1632375
    2. Have a custom recovery installed, such as TWRP 2.2.x.x+ or Cannibal Open Touch: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2025793
    3. Easy method for both -> Use Smirkit: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1500935

INSTALLATION
    RECOMMEND FULL WIPE UNLESS UPDATING A 4.2 ROM Use Titanium Backup to restore apps.
    1. Download the ZIP
    2. Grab the GAPPS (12/12 from goo.im/gapps)
    3. Reboot into recovery
    4. Make your backup (You do make a backup right?)
    5. Wipe Data/Cache)
    6. Flash both the ROM and the gapps .zip files
    7. Reboot and Enjoy

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    • Q: Does this include the new 3.4 kernel? A: No, it's not ready yet.
    • Q: Where's the "Developer" settings menu? A: Go into Settings -> About tablet, and tap the "Build number" box about 7 times. That enables it.

BUILDING THIS ROM
    [ It's a rough build. Probably not going to update the public manifest ]

Enjoy
    OP Updated for 12/18 deep sleep fix build.

http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter/aosp/jb-4.2-kfire-hashcode-12-18.zip
    md5sum: 09b6d4feea0f6019969731ae46e9e6ab
    I think optimizing the code should be a high priority.

Seems with very rom release, people typically add more in. As a Kindle Fire only has 512 mb for ram, adding more in isn't exactly the best of ideals. Rather I think its better to keep this as minimal as possible (pure android os) & add only anything that which may improve the memory requirements (kernel update for example).

This is exactly what im doing with the 3.4 kernel. Not just a kernel update but a complete overhaul of most of the drivers.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2
    I'm testing a new fix for the deep_sleep issues. If it's working correctly, I'll update this build.
    Couple of notes:
    1. I'm seeing memory GC issues which look to be causing sleep issues. Investigating.
    2. The "About" screen shows 4.2 but it's actually 4.2.1 because we don't have the missing month bug.
    3. I need to research the missing multi-profiles issue.
    4. I'll check out photo sync options
    5. I'm also looking into USB camera support (will probably be more useful when the 3.4 kernel is ready)