i wanna root my sg3... is it worth it?

Search This thread

wingtytn

yes root ur device verizon doesnt know anything and the ota to jelly bean causes the device to have issuses... rooting ur device will allow u to remove bloat ware and mainly to hav more control over ur device a custom rom if u go that way will allow u to use ur device at its fullest potential stock rom doesnt allow u to do alot of things the device is and was built for

Elite818

Nov 5, 2010
The ability to remove bloatware/oc/undervolt alone is worth the rooting. And for me especially, the ability to wifi tether without paying more is the major reason why I rooted mine.

Reactions: Wizard Prang

Obaterista93

Apr 4, 2011
Williamsport
Google Pixel 5
This is the first device that I've bought that I would've been content running stock, but I rooted anyway and haven't regretted it one bit. I'd miss AOSP too much not to root.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

anl2304

Feb 20, 2012
It is worth it for a few reasons (for me):

1. Killing Verizon bloat
2. Extending battery life
3. Running stock touchwiz Roms with custom kernels. These kernels tend to be optimized for speed and battery lif
4. Useful features such as WiFi tether
5. The opportunity to receive and installing updates ahead of verizon's slow update process.

95talondsm

Jul 16, 2012
Definitely worth it. I told myself I was gonna wait to root it for at least a week.. Yeah the next morning in rooted it with no regrets :) :thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

james0tempe

Dec 19, 2012
Definitely worth it. I told myself I was gonna wait to root it for at least a week.. Yeah the next morning in rooted it with no regrets :) :thumbup:

I want to root my phone in order to use TOR transparently.

What I have not found on this or any forum is a clear procedure for doing it, that I can be sure applies to my phone.

It's a Verizon, US, SCH-I535, 4.1.1, I535VRBLK3
Build number is JRO03L.I535VRBLK3

I see posts about root/recovery for phones that have been updated OTA to JB, but nothing that makes me feel comfortable about a phone that came from Verizon in late December 2012, with JB pre-loaded. I'm wishing for a cookbook example that I can follow and be certain that it applies to my phone.

I just don't want to risk bricking a phone that I've had for less than a week. Or to be more specific, don't want to risk bricking a phone without a plan for what to do afterwards. (Another topic, obviously, but what *do* you do in that case?)

Waffles92

Nov 17, 2012
I want to root my phone in order to use TOR transparently.

What I have not found on this or any forum is a clear procedure for doing it, that I can be sure applies to my phone.

It's a Verizon, US, SCH-I535, 4.1.1, I535VRBLK3
Build number is JRO03L.I535VRBLK3

I see posts about root/recovery for phones that have been updated OTA to JB, but nothing that makes me feel comfortable about a phone that came from Verizon in late December 2012, with JB pre-loaded. I'm wishing for a cookbook example that I can follow and be certain that it applies to my phone.

I just don't want to risk bricking a phone that I've had for less than a week. Or to be more specific, don't want to risk bricking a phone without a plan for what to do afterwards. (Another topic, obviously, but what *do* you do in that case?)

Yeah, that's the reason I haven't rooted my GS3 yet. There's a bunch of awesome guides on this site and helpful people, but even if I did do the process correctly there's always this voice in the back of my head saying "something unforeseen may go wrong".

mikeman45

Oct 15, 2012
Definitely worth it in my opinion. I too was nervous but did when I first got it and I have no regrets.there are so many things you could do with root. Also to answer your lay question about what to do if you brick it all depends on soft brick or hard brick. Soft brick there are many very talented devs on here that can help you through it and if you hard brick you can send your phone out to someone (not sure who) somewhere (not sure where) and they can fix it for a fee or you could always reactivate an old phone until you fix or get a new one.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

kobusestas

Oct 15, 2010
Milwaukee
I too was cautious at first but the process was super easy and I had incentive to get jellybean/GoogleNow (this was before the OTA). I haven't had any issues with bricking my phone or boot looping (Knock on wood).
I would say go for it!

james0tempe

Dec 19, 2012
Yeah, that's the reason I haven't rooted my GS3 yet. There's a bunch of awesome guides on this site and helpful people, but even if I did do the process correctly there's always this voice in the back of my head saying "something unforeseen may go wrong".

I wasn't very clear in my post, I think.

I have found a lot of awesome guides as well, but none that specifically apply to very recent versions of the phone.
Lots of info about what to do with an older phone and lots of warnings and workarounds for an OTA update of JB, but what about the current phones that are coming from the shop with JB? Haven't seen a single guide to address this case, or even an anecdotal report that these can be rooted successfully.

caffeinepills

Nov 13, 2012
I too was cautious at first but the process was super easy and I had incentive to get jellybean/GoogleNow (this was before the OTA). I haven't had any issues with bricking my phone or boot looping (Knock on wood).
I would say go for it!

Was in the same boat here. Was just cautious about it. Process was real easy, it just does it for you and tells you what and when you need to do things. I have had a boot loop issue once (probably my fault), but going back in and redoing the rom was all that was needed.

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
I wasn't very clear in my post, I think.

I have found a lot of awesome guides as well, but none that specifically apply to very recent versions of the phone.
Lots of info about what to do with an older phone and lots of warnings and workarounds for an OTA update of JB, but what about the current phones that are coming from the shop with JB? Haven't seen a single guide to address this case, or even an anecdotal report that these can be rooted successfully.

This is the right way and the only way to root the latest JB version K3 for Verizon (this will not wipe your setup).
http://galaxys3root.com/galaxy-s3-root/how-to-root-verizon-galaxy-s3-sch-i535/
If you want a clean, fresh install use this image instead (this will wipe all your data including sdcard, so remove your external sdcard before flashing, so that only internal sdcard will be wipe).
http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=9390214368362234355

Last edited:

kiddoc89

Dec 2, 2012
Flemington
trust Polizoe

I got the S3 just for that reason. I wanted a phone I could tweak. Can't do that with the iphone! I'm coming from a BB that never had a stock OS on it from day 2 (had to learn how to install the hybrids). Root gives so many options and advances over what Verizon offers.

Landon418

May 20, 2012
Root and install galaxy mod its great!

Nov 28, 2012
I would say from my experiences that Galaxy mod is flawless with mods for days to mess with.

However.. Nothing has come close to clean rom le.
the speed, battery life, and stock interface is beautifully woven together. Also with the mods like "kinda crap" and " ultimate real icon" makes the internal layout looks very personalized.

Far superior to what any non-root app can provide.

Sent from some vzw Galaxy s3 using xda app-developers app

romyg

Feb 28, 2011
One other benefit to rooting that I haven't seen mentioned is the ability to backup and restore apps. This is really useful if an app is updated and you find that you don't like the new features - if you have the app backed up you can just restore the previous version.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You don't need to root to get a stock jellybean release on your phone. You would use a program called odin and put your phone into download mode and it will flash the system on your phone. If you don't like it or need to warranty your phone you just odin back to a official verizon release.

You can follow this guide, you would need 1,2,and 8. Then just follow the steps included. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1974114

Rooting is something you would do if you wanted to run apps or alter system files that require special privileges to access, read or write. A good reason to root is flash a custom recovery. The custom recovery will allow you to make backups of your phone. If something breaks on your system you can simply restore a backup in like 10 mins and its good as new :D

If you want to flash a rom then you will need to rooted AND have your bootloader unlocked. Its a pretty easy process to do everything as long as you pay attention. I.e. don't flash a rom meant for another carriers S3 or the international S3 cause you will hard brick your phone and have to mail it to someone with like $60 to get it fixed :p A good rom to try first would be CleanRom imo. There are many guides around this forum, just read em and reread em then go at it. If you are unsure about something then ask before you do it.

P.s. Backup your imei...... here is a great guide on how to do everything... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1762709
    I just recently had to make the same decision! Finally, after a good bit of research and youtube video watching, I decided to go ahead with the root process and couldn't be happier! Especially with Verizon being so far behind right now.
    So worth it!!! Root it!!! There are plenty of Step-by-Step guides in the developers forum that makes it so easy...but please read all the steps first then do them....
    Do your research so you fully understand how root works and how to do it then go for it. It opens a whole new world for those who like to tinker and always have the newest firmware.
    Like everyone said, read up in what it is and whether or not you have a reason to do it. Then don't freak out if something happens and your phone won't boot. 99% of the time your phone is fixable.

I just upgraded from my old gs1 to the gs3 and love it. Already rooted/unlocked and running cm10 nightlies...... It isn't for everyone but for the ability to backup your phone alone it's worth it.