[Floating App][Free] SlideOver Messaging - Taking SMS to the Next Level

Search This thread

klinkdawg24

Nov 12, 2012
Iowa
SlideOver Messaging - Taking SMS to the Next Level

2a66vk6.png
104jnlz.png

SlideOver is part of me and my brother's Sliding Messaging Pro project. This is only part of what it can do within our app, but we decided to release this part for free so that users can use this incredible feature without being confined to Sliding Messaging Pro!

This app is meant to be used alongside your messaging app of choice, whether that is the stock app, Go SMS, Handsent, Textra, or any of the other 3rd party messaging apps available on the Play Store. It is meant to extend upon that apps functionality and give you extra features that aren't present in most/any apps.

Features:
- An always on "bubble" to access your latest messages from anywhere (without even leaving your current app!)
- Quickly reply to a new message with the Quick Peek option, brought up by a simple tap on the SlideOver bubble
- Easily move and manage the SlideOver bubble with a long press to drag option and a double click to change the sliver width option.
- The SlideOver bubble will show contact pictures and some of the message with a very cool animation on new SMS messages
- Option to "ping" the SlideOver bubble when the user unlocks the device and there is an unread message.
- Reply without pausing your YouTube and most other video services and games (something that usual quick reply boxes could never do!)
- TONS of customization options
- and lots of other stuff

Usage:

1.) Download SlideOver Messaging
2.) Open the main app to view the settings page and apply any of the settings you think fit!
3.) That's it! Now just wait for a new message to come though and view it via the SlideOver bubble and reply quickly to conversations via the quick peek dialog!

Notes:

Some 3rd party messaging apps block the text message receivers that I use to display the messages to the SlideOver bubble. It is a very easy workaround though luckily, simply uninstall and then re-install your 3rd party messaging app (such as Go SMS) and the messages will come up in both your notification tray (through the 3rd party app) and the SlideOver bubble (through my app).

Very simple fix :)

If you like what we have done here, support us through a purchase of Sliding Messaging Pro! As I said, that app takes the functionality of SlideOver to a whole new level with an awesome pop-up reply dialog and some other neat customization and features!

Hope you enjoy!

pt82w.png

2lig4md.png

SlideOver Messaging - Google Play Store

GitHub Project

Last edited:

klinkdawg24

Nov 12, 2012
Iowa
The circle keeps disappearing off the side of my screen. Thx

It is because android is killing the service as you run out of memory, you can check the foreground service option and that will put a persistent notification that will stop it from killing the service.

Restarting your phone will also clear up memory if you really don't want to use the persistent notification option.

terence74

Jan 16, 2009
It is because android is killing the service as you run out of memory, you can check the foreground service option and that will put a persistent notification that will stop it from killing the service.

Restarting your phone will also clear up memory if you really don't want to use the persistent notification option.

I have a rooted S4 and I have plenty of available memory, you think that is the issue. Only issue with persistent it that you get stuck with the
new text icon in your system tray.

Thanks

klinkdawg24

Nov 12, 2012
Iowa
I have a rooted S4 and I have plenty of available memory, you think that is the issue. Only issue with persistent it that you get stuck with the

Thanks

Android has to move around and allocate memory for different processes. Believe me, that is the problem. That is how services work in android, it gets killed to make room for other apps service. That is the problem, android kills background tasks when it thinks the system doesn't need them, even if they are being used. That is the point of turning it into a foreground service.

I realize that the persistent notification causes an icon in the notification drawer because that is how the task is turned foreground and tells android to keep it working all the time.

Reactions: terence74

Ilxaot

May 1, 2013
Parrish
I lol'd at the discussion above. ANYWAYS...

Nice looking app mate:) Will give it a spin sometime :D

nightfishing

Jun 7, 2010
The circle keeps disappearing off the side of my screen. Thx

I have the same issue; nothing to do with memory or the service getting killed.

For some reason it keeps resizing the the circle to zero. Going into settings and resizing it back fixes it.

Similar issue with the placement of the box itself on the screen. If I drag it to a new location it will revert back to the top of the screen after a while.

Stock vzw Nexus.

TidusWulf

Sep 21, 2010
Seattle, WA
Using Verizon HTC One.

When an incoming text arrives, clicking the contact bubble doesn't show the conversation like in the example photos. it's just blank. If I try to send a response anyway, the app crashes.

I really want this to work, because this is exactly what I'm looking for in a texting app. something that only handle the quick response, and not an entire replacement for the phone's messaging app. I have Ninja SMS installed as well, but I disabled that app before installing this one, because I expected the two not to play nicely. I will try again with Ninja SMS completely removed, and a reboot. in the mean time, I've sent a crash report from the phone.

EDIT: Removed Ninja SMS, rebooted. no resolution. At that point, the standard messaging also had notifications turned off, so I thought maybe by having an unread notification for a text, the app would pick up on it, but that didn't work either. I'm still getting a blank black SMS box, only the stock messaging app installed.

No rating for now, but once it works, it's a 5-star for sure!

Last edited:

CaptainGoSlow

Jan 31, 2012

For some reason it keeps resizing the the circle to zero. Going into settings and resizing it back fixes it.

Similar issue with the placement of the box itself on the screen. If I drag it to a new location it will revert back to the top of the screen after a while.

Stock vzw Nexus.

Have you tried disabling the Double tap action, which allows for resizing the bubble? When I turn it on, on S2, it seems to resize to between 0-4% each time if I just quick double tap. I have this turned off anyway, but just tested after seeing your issue.

HTH

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

klinkdawg24

Nov 12, 2012
Iowa
Using Verizon HTC One.

When an incoming text arrives, clicking the contact bubble doesn't show the conversation like in the example photos. it's just blank. If I try to send a response anyway, the app crashes.

I really want this to work, because this is exactly what I'm looking for in a texting app. something that only handle the quick response, and not an entire replacement for the phone's messaging app. I have Ninja SMS installed as well, but I disabled that app before installing this one, because I expected the two not to play nicely. I will try again with Ninja SMS completely removed, and a reboot. in the mean time, I've sent a crash report from the phone.

EDIT: Removed Ninja SMS, rebooted. no resolution. At that point, the standard messaging also had notifications turned off, so I thought maybe by having an unread notification for a text, the app would pick up on it, but that didn't work either. I'm still getting a blank black SMS box, only the stock messaging app installed.

No rating for now, but once it works, it's a 5-star for sure!

OK, it looks like it isn't able to read from your messaging database correctly... I will look into it after the weekend and see what I can do to fix it

Stock vzw Nexus.

Double tapping changes the sliver width if that is what you mean?

And I don't save the location of the message box, whenever the service restarts it will revert back to the top of the screen, this was by design

jj.Hrasek

Oct 12, 2013
Omaha
play.google.com

Stock vzw Nexus.

Have you tried disabling the Double tap action, which allows for resizing the bubble? When I turn it on, on S2, it seems to resize to between 0-4% each time if I just quick double tap. I have this turned off anyway, but just tested after seeing your issue.

HTH

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I am experiencing same issue

TidusWulf

Sep 21, 2010
Seattle, WA
One more thing, the sliver completely disappears when in landscape mode.

Another tiny bug: in settings. Number of Contacts 1 - 5 is set with a "%" which doesn't belong. (showing 5% when should show 5)

Last edited:

klinkdawg24

Nov 12, 2012
Iowa
One more thing, the sliver completely disappears when in landscape mode.

Another tiny bug: in settings. Number of Contacts 1 - 5 is set with a "%" which doesn't belong. (showing 5% when should show 5)

It is because I use a staic size down the screen instead of a percent. It was a feature that was requested with it in sliding messaging so that the bubble is gone when watching YouTube videos and such things. Just move the bubble up a little and it will be seen in landscape.

And yeah I should probably get the percent thing changed haha forgot about that one!

TidusWulf

Sep 21, 2010
Seattle, WA
I like having mine towards the bottom where my thumb can reach :p I can suffer for now. lol.I odn't use landscape all that often

Is it possible to have a percent from top instead of units from top?

klinkdawg24

Nov 12, 2012
Iowa
I like having mine towards the bottom where my thumb can reach :p I can suffer for now. lol.I odn't use landscape all that often

Is it possible to have a percent from top instead of units from top?

Of course it is possible, but I just don't think I want it that way, cause I can't hide it when certain apps or something like YouTube is up, and that us when it gets distracting and annoying, so I want the user to know it isn't going to adjust on landscape so if they want to see it, they will have to put it in the upper area. We will see though, I may make an option to use percent in landscape instead, don't know yet

TidusWulf

Sep 21, 2010
Seattle, WA
I noticed the app got an update, but the update didn't fix my problem :( still can't read any messages coming thru, or reply to them.

It's interesting because the slider circle shows the contact photo and the message, but the box when I click the circle can't read the stuff. it's DEFINITELY finding the text at first, then not knowing what to do with it. what a mystery!

klinkdawg24

Nov 12, 2012
Iowa
I noticed the app got an update, but the update didn't fix my problem :( still can't read any messages coming thru, or reply to them.

It's interesting because the slider circle shows the contact photo and the message, but the box when I click the circle can't read the stuff. it's DEFINITELY finding the text at first, then not knowing what to do with it. what a mystery!

You are correct, the changelog didnt say it was fixed, and it hasn't been. i was out of town all weekend and that update changed a total of 2 lines of code. just added a function in there for a request from someone else.

The problem is the same one that many startup texting apps have on android, since there is no documentation, some OEM's do things with sms differently. HTC saves their messages differently than others, including google, so i can't read them in from the database. the reason that they show up on the bubble when it is incoming is because i pull that information from the broadcast that is sent and it is very easy to manage.

I know how to fix it, but it will take some time, and that is a luxury that i don't have much of right now, I am a college student and am very busy with my classes. So no, it hasn't been fixed yet, but i know how from sliding messaging. I will get around to it as soon as i can.

EDIT: there ya go, did it this morning. You will have to override stock, it is the second to last option under the settings menu.

Last edited:

TidusWulf

Sep 21, 2010
Seattle, WA
I didn't mean to sound impatient. I saw by the changelog that it wasn't fixed. it was just funny for me because I saw the update and thought "oh yay!" then tried it again and said "oh damn."

thanks so much! I'l try it right away

EDIT: I found the problem. If I uncheck Quick Peek: Unread Only, then everything is fixed, even without checking the stock override option.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SlideOver Messaging - Taking SMS to the Next Level

2a66vk6.png
    104jnlz.png

SlideOver is part of me and my brother's Sliding Messaging Pro project. This is only part of what it can do within our app, but we decided to release this part for free so that users can use this incredible feature without being confined to Sliding Messaging Pro!

This app is meant to be used alongside your messaging app of choice, whether that is the stock app, Go SMS, Handsent, Textra, or any of the other 3rd party messaging apps available on the Play Store. It is meant to extend upon that apps functionality and give you extra features that aren't present in most/any apps.

Features:
    - An always on "bubble" to access your latest messages from anywhere (without even leaving your current app!)
    - Quickly reply to a new message with the Quick Peek option, brought up by a simple tap on the SlideOver bubble
    - Easily move and manage the SlideOver bubble with a long press to drag option and a double click to change the sliver width option.
    - The SlideOver bubble will show contact pictures and some of the message with a very cool animation on new SMS messages
    - Option to "ping" the SlideOver bubble when the user unlocks the device and there is an unread message.
    - Reply without pausing your YouTube and most other video services and games (something that usual quick reply boxes could never do!)
    - TONS of customization options
    - and lots of other stuff

Usage:

1.) Download SlideOver Messaging
    2.) Open the main app to view the settings page and apply any of the settings you think fit!
    3.) That's it! Now just wait for a new message to come though and view it via the SlideOver bubble and reply quickly to conversations via the quick peek dialog!

Notes:

Some 3rd party messaging apps block the text message receivers that I use to display the messages to the SlideOver bubble. It is a very easy workaround though luckily, simply uninstall and then re-install your 3rd party messaging app (such as Go SMS) and the messages will come up in both your notification tray (through the 3rd party app) and the SlideOver bubble (through my app).

Very simple fix :)

If you like what we have done here, support us through a purchase of Sliding Messaging Pro! As I said, that app takes the functionality of SlideOver to a whole new level with an awesome pop-up reply dialog and some other neat customization and features!

Hope you enjoy!

pt82w.png

2lig4md.png

SlideOver Messaging - Google Play Store

GitHub Project

Thanks

Android has to move around and allocate memory for different processes. Believe me, that is the problem. That is how services work in android, it gets killed to make room for other apps service. That is the problem, android kills background tasks when it thinks the system doesn't need them, even if they are being used. That is the point of turning it into a foreground service.

I realize that the persistent notification causes an icon in the notification drawer because that is how the task is turned foreground and tells android to keep it working all the time.