[ROM][ZIP] Nookie Comb 0.4.13!!! (Froyo-based) Updated 4/13/2011

Search This thread

tc80tc80

Jun 8, 2008
....Read the OP... again. It should link to this. And then you download this... I just did all that for you. You owe me sushi now. :eek:

Tried all that, got the T-shirt. Odd thing is.... the first two versions won't see the Netflix service and the no crash version won't even start. I've compared the sources with the downloaded version. I beginning to think I am going to need a complete rebuild. I may have tweaked my Nook one too many times.

As for Sushi, you will have to come to London. We have sushi everywhere over here.;)

UPDATE*** Okay, I flushed it all and reloaded my backups and Netflix is working now, but still weird market availability.

Last edited:

HTCF4N

Sep 28, 2009
OKC
Tried all that, got the T-shirt. Odd thing is.... the first two versions won't see the Netflix service and the no crash version won't even start. I've compared the sources with the downloaded version. I beginning to think I am going to need a complete rebuild. I may have tweaked my Nook one too many times.

As for Sushi, you will have to come to London. We have sushi everywhere over here.;)

UPDATE*** Okay, I flushed it all and reloaded my backups and Netflix is working now, but still weird market availability.

:eek: They have sushi in London!? ...can't be that good.. lol :rolleyes:

bigpetefox

Sep 8, 2010
Massachusetts
I flashed recovery in rom manager and now my nook won't turn on. Any ideas? And reason so I don't do whatever I did wrong again.

My apologies for the laziness, having the same issue after flashing and retrying more than I can even think of. IS it like some devices where you'll have to try a few times before it happens? I had it bad when trying to root my Inc the first time, took like 6 tries and 12 sd cards..

Good thing I did a full backup, stock root until I can join in on the fun.. :D

EDIT: got it running, looks good!

Last edited:

forkedt

Jun 22, 2009
Slow wifi

Is anyone else experiencing very slow wifi connections? This is my first time using Nookiecomb and I like it a lot but my updating market apps takes literally hours.

I have tried both my home wifi (secured connection) and tethering to my phone (unsecured connection), same results. Is there something I might need to adjust or is this a known issue?

Thanks,
Forkedt.

Last edited:

mikegonz

Mar 25, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Is anyone else experiencing very slow wifi connections? This is my first time using Nookiecomb and I like it a lot but my updating market apps takes literally hours.

I have tried both my home wifi (secured connection) and tethering to my phone (unsecured connection), same results. Is there something I might need to adjust or is this a known issue?

Thanks,
Forkedt.

I'm not sure what would cause that issue. Try running the non-OC version if possible.

In other news, I've got a couple of downer notes guys. I was previously trying to figure out a way to patch Nookie comb over the latest barnes and noble update or CM7, but unfortunately my nook's no longer in action after an accident including water and my younger cousin :( . I will still try to see what or how I can make some adjustments, but I won't be getting another for a good bit as I got to prep funds for grad school for the time being. Will keep you all updated, and I'm really sorry :(

HTCF4N

Sep 28, 2009
OKC
I'm not sure what would cause that issue. Try running the non-OC version if possible.

In other news, I've got a couple of downer notes guys. I was previously trying to figure out a way to patch Nookie comb over the latest barnes and noble update or CM7, but unfortunately my nook's no longer in action after an accident including water and my younger cousin :( . I will still try to see what or how I can make some adjustments, but I won't be getting another for a good bit as I got to prep funds for grad school for the time being. Will keep you all updated, and I'm really sorry :(

Bummer.. sorry to hear that Mike. Been waiting for another Nookie Comb release. Hopefully you can get it fixed or get your hamds on another Nook soon. In the meantime if youve made any progress or if you want me to do some testing for you let me know.

I Did It All For The NOOKIE via XDA Premium

letsgophillyingeneral

May 26, 2011
Can you use another keyboard? The stock keyboard is crap. I installed Smart Keyboard Pro but I can't find a way to select it.

EDIT: Any luck using Netflix? I'm having issues streaming.. the video is cutting in and out (or off) and the audio sounds like chipmunks.

Last edited:

belber095

Oct 26, 2010
Little assistance? I just flashed this, coming from CM7. Using bootable SD clockwork 3.0.0.6 and when I unmounted and rebooted, it seems that I'm stuck with the blue Android text in the bottom left corner. Where'd I go wrong?

Deltabear

Jan 6, 2011
Simpsonville
Odd results after flash

OK, so I flashed the OC as well as the non-OC'd version and with each I boot, get the "Read Forever" screen, then it just sits on a blank screen. I've tried powering down, bringing it back up, same results, thought maybe there was an issue with the OC kernel and my NC, so I flashed the normal, formatting System, Data, and Cache before each install. I'm using the latest CWM to boot. Kind of at a loss.

I'm going to re-download both and reflash, but I'm just not sure. I did get it to boot one time, with the non-OC kernel, let it rest as suggested, rebooted, and nothing...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, if I get it to work I'll update post...I'd love to try, the one time I got it to boot it looked great.

Thanks!

DB

letsgophillyingeneral

May 26, 2011
Can you use another keyboard? The stock keyboard is crap. I installed Smart Keyboard Pro but I can't find a way to select it.

EDIT: Any luck using Netflix? I'm having issues streaming.. the video is cutting in and out (or off) and the audio sounds like chipmunks.

Possible fix from Myhvac -

myhvac said:
QUESTION 1:
"Can you use another keyboard? The stock keyboard is crap. I installed Smart Keyboard Pro but I can't find a way to select it."

- response: from http://xdaforums.com/show...1016115&page=3
"On a text field, hold your finger over a text field. When a dialog box pops up, select Input Method" you just need to find a text field and long press it until a dialog pops up and you can select your keyboard.

QUESTION 2:
"Any luck using Netflix? I'm having issues streaming.. the video is cutting in and out (or off) and the audio sounds like chipmunks."

- response: modify your build.prop file to change as follows:
ro.product.model=HTC Vision
ro.product.manufacturer=HTC
worked for me

also remember:

$ adb pull /system/build.prop
$ adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /system
$ adb push build.prop system/
$ adb shell mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /system

Settings -> Manage Applications -> All -> Market
Clear Cache then Force Stop -- DO NOT clear data

Settings -> Manage Applications -> All -> Google Services Framework
Clear data then Force Stop

Reboot (found here: http://nookdevs.com/NookColor:_Nookie_Froyo_Tips)

Also, I just used a simple wireless adb connection app to execute the adb commands.

I feel like an idiot for the input-method thing -_- I don't think I ever tried using that method of input selection. Completely forgot you could do that!

EDIT: I also previously tried editing the build.prop file, but I didn't mimic the HTC Vision so I'll try that specific entry.

EDIT2: Nevermind, I did use "HTC Vision" previously to no avail. I'll try clearing the cache you mentioned.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone,
    I'm still relatively new to developing, and this is just my first start getting my feet wet (My very first ROM). Anyway... here it is:

Welcome to Nookie Comb!

This ROM is based off of Nookie Froyo 0.6.8, thanks to Cicada and the Nook devs for all of their awesome work.
    To be clear, I may or may not be entirely speedy on updates, but I will do as I can as time goes on.
    I highly recommend using a Clockworkmod 3.0.1.0 SD card to flash this zip, as that's what I've been using and haven't tested any others.
    As for the ROM, I think phiredrop says it best:

I am not responsible for any damages you may encounter (though you probably won’t). This is a Clockwork flashable zip only. It WILL erase your internal memory. Please make the necessary backups.

Features
    • Includes latest force status bar hack for Honeycomb like experience!!! (Force with Status Bar Toggle)(Thanks brianf21!!)
    • Choose between OC kernel or stock
    • Based on Nookie Froyo 0.6.8
    • Implements brianf21 and samuelhalff's bottom status bar implementation.
    • Altered the status bar and notification items to Honeycomb style positions
    • Customized LauncherPro v0.8.3 (based on s23's original version here)
    • Honeycomb Lockscreen Clock Font
    • Accurate Honeycomb Battery mod
    • Theming based on wretchedlocket and valle mod's themes
    • Honeybee boot animation
    Apps
    • Gapps included
    • Notion Ink Keyboard (AWESOME!)
    • Honeycomb Clock Free
    • Honeycomb Music 3.0 apk
    • Notion Ink Canvas, E-mail, and Quickoffice included from here
    • NookColor UMS
    • Nookie-Froyo Utils to force/unforce statusbar at boot
    • Status Bar Toggle to force/unforce on the fly
    • QuickDesk Application to adjust the statusbar while within any application

Probably more stuff but that's all I recall

Installation

NOTE: Flash with the latest ClockworkMod Recovery/via ClockworkMod Recovery SD or standard Clockwork Recovery 3.0.1.0. This version is fully compatible with any Clockwork used for Nookie Froyo 0.6.8 (see the Nookie Froyo page here)
    • Copy "NookieCombvXXX.zip" to the root of your SD
    • Place SD in nook and power on
    • Format SYSTEM, DATA and CACHE (You do not need to wipe if coming from a previous version!)
    • Flash Nookie Comb
    • Once finished flashing, unmount your sdcard, remove from the slot and reboot.
    • Give your nook a few minutes to stabilize on first boot. Choose LauncherPro initially as your first action. You will have to adjust your softkeys settings to remove the little floating guy in the case you launch Softkeys, as well as want to set up how your button activate each launcher.
    • Once stable, I recommend a reboot. Helps prevent any issues.
    • You should be able to sign in to market right off the bat.
    • I highly recommend using my launcherpro_backup setting in the link below. This hides a few unusable apps, as well as sets up your home screen rows/columns and colors. To install, just unzip the launchepro_backup.zip to the root of your sdcard. Hit the menu button, select "Preferences" in LauncherPro, then "Restore Backup"
    • That's it!

Troubleshooting and Notes [Updated 4/13/11]
    • Flash: Most likely you installed over a previous Nookie Froyo or other ROM and decided not to do a full wipe, which is ok, except that your flash data and dalvik-cache exist from your old Flash install. Just uninstall flash, and reinstall from market
    • SD Card and Gallery: If you're having these issues,just visit settings, unmount SD, and mount again. Don't assume you can simply unplug and plug it back in. Even though it may look already mounted, doing it this way should fix those issues
    • Won't wake from sleep: This seems to have been associated with hot plugging the SD card before putting the Nook to sleep. Might only be associated with the OC kernel (thanks to arrjaytea)
    • You can optionally force your statusbar to be always on using Status Bar Toggle. This app is brought to you by brianf21!
    • It's recommended to set QuickDesk as your Launcher, then select LauncherPro within it. This way, double-tapping the hard home key will bring up the quick desk application while in any other application. You can put the Status Bar Toggle app here to toggle at any time
    • You can select the NI keyboard by holding your finger over a text box, selecting Input Method -> NI Keyboard
    • You can switch the symbols and caps by just double tapping the shift or fn keys. Symbol key is better than fn
    • Normal Android keyboard is still included in case you don't want the NI keyboard.

Additional
    -Compatible with Froyo based kernels.
    -Highly recommend downloading Desktop Visualizer from the market and using the HoneyComb Icons pack below to create Honeycomb-like widgets!!

Still in works
    Got everything mostly fixed... hmmmm...

Downloads
    Latest
    NookieComb v0.4.13.zip
    NookieComb OC Edition v0.4.13.zip

Older versions
    NookieComb v0.4.2.zip
    NookieComb OC Edition v0.4.2.zip
    NookieComb v0.4.1.zip
    NookieComb OC Edition v0.4.1.zip
    NookieComb v0.3.30.zip

Launcher Pro Settings
    (Makes the homescreens PRETTY, more rows columns, removes launcherpro default look, hides unusable apps,
    Highly recommended, unzip folder to root of sd, then go into LauncherPro Preferences, Restore Backup)

Other optional stuff
    Honeycomb wallpapers re-packed for Nook Color
    Honey Comb Icons for Desktop Visualizer (DL from Market)

Changelog

NookieComb v0.4.13
    • Added and modified brianf21's Status bar toggle application with new icons
    • Added QuickDesk Launcher application (set this guy as default). This will allow you to toggle the status bar within any other application by double tapping the hard home button. You can set LauncherPro from within QuickDesk
    • Replaced NookColorUtils with Nookie-Froyo Utils
    • Adjusted a few font colors for readability. Less black on black
    • Removed MIUI Music .apk
    • Added new Honeycomb/Gingerbread Music.apk. (Hide Jumper test using my new launcherpro_backup.zip)
    • Removed my April Fool's day joke :(

NookieComb v0.4.2
    • Updated init.rc in uRamdisk to mount the internal 5.0GB storage to /media. You can access this using a file manager
    • Moved the notification icons and notification toggle button to the right.
    • Changed the notification toggle button to a big freakin' "i" inside a circle. Looks secksy.
    • Adjusted a few more font colors for better readability in some situations
    • Changed OC version to the version recommended above. This is not dalgrin's latest, but fixes all those wifi and related issues using his newer kernel
    • Added back stock Email application
    • Added a little something extra...

NookieComb v0.4.1
    • Included Overclocked version with dalingrin's OC kernel and in addition non-overclocked version
    • Updated Fonts colors!
    • Includes 3/31 Statusbar hack from brianf21. You can now force statusbar people!
    • Made the statusbar a little smaller (36dip)
    • Reduced size of progress and seekbars. They should look a little more sexy now...
    • Added NookColorUtils to allow users the ability to enable/disable statusbar always on
    • All I can think of now

Special Thanks:
    Cicada
    wretchedlocket (huge thanks!)
    brianf21 (huge thanks!)
    samuelhalff
    obsessionXYZ
    gojimi

If you like my work, you can buy me a drink!
    :)
    this is the best rom! but how can i get my internal memory back?

As with the standard nookie froyo, the space is there, it just sits in a /media intenal mem. Going to work on getting this to mount on boot so you can use for storage.

Anyone know if there is a way to modify the "long press home" button behavior in this rom. It is really the only thing I am missing from CM7.
    Not sure what you mean. What are you looking to have the long press do? Differences between soft and hard keys can be adjusted with softkeys. In addition, you can add swipe gestures to the app drawer or launcherPro's blank icons.

"Always on" status bar? Maybe I'm misinterpreting this, but my status bar still goes away any time I open a fullscreen application.

What exactly does this 'hack' do?

Please read the OP before, I bolded the clarification. Cross reference brianf21's Statusbar hack forum thread if you have any other questions related to issues.
    You need to Launch NookColorUtils and select Force statusbar to enable the statusbar to be always on to utilize this capability. It has been included in the latest release, but not 0.3.30

this is an amazing rom ; runs smoother than custom nookie no issues yet overclocked it at 1.1Ghz i dont like the keyboard but other than that its nice :D

keep up the good work
    You can always switch to the stock android keyboard if you don't like the NI keyboard. It's included. If the issue is you thought you need to hold down a button for caps or symbols, just hit the sym key or double tap the shift button. I had another user who had this issue who didn't know this earlier
    Updated to version 0.4.2!!!

Updated fonts, kernel in OC version, changed notification icons and button positions, changed notification toggle icon, added internal 5.0 GB partition to mount to /media on boot, and added back email.apk
    This guy made a kick ass froyo rom and he has one thanks? Really people? Go click the button on his OP, he deserves a little love for his show and tell.
    Reserved.

Ha New you beat me to it. I'm such a noob