[GUIDE] Moto G - Restore stock firmware

Search This thread

cr00mz

Dec 11, 2013
I tried with a the previous version of CWM and it works, for some reason. Just happy that the phone now works.

SamsungAdmire

Mar 6, 2012
So guys, has any way to downgrade from XT1034 version 4.4.3 KitKat to 4.3 Jellybean been found yet?
I regret upgrading..

XUTOS-83

Feb 8, 2010
Lisboa
I want to try stock Motorola again, any real difference from Retail-UE, Retail-GB, Retail-DE , etc... If I flash Retail-US I will probably get OTA releases sooner, any disadvantage for an EU use? Signal frequencies for ex.

Last edited:

remo0073

May 28, 2014
ITALY
I want to try stock Motorola again, any real difference from Retail-UE, Retail-GB, Retail-DE , etc... If I flash Retail-US I will probably get OTA releases sooner, any disadvantage for an EU use? Signal frequencies for ex.

Android 4.4.4 European firmwares are the same (EU, GB, FR, DE)

I prefer EU Firmware, but it's always the last to be updated (for this reason it should be the most stable)
DE firmware is the first in Europe to be Updated

US firmware is normally updated before than European firmware, but at the momenti it is stopped at Android 4.4.3.
It din't received 4.4.4 yet.
Anyway 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 are very similar (minor updates)

There are some differencies in the SystemUI between US vs European Firmwares (only 3G icon with arrows but not H and H+ icons)

Not disavantages for EU users in US firmware
It is a Global GSM firmware (as the Europen ones)

Reactions: XUTOS-83

cky2000

Aug 17, 2010
West Palm Beach
Sorry for the newbie question. I just bought an XT1032 umts for a friend in Argentina and she is using Personal Argentina. The XT1032 has 173.44.9.falcon_umts.AIO.en.US (4.4.2) on it. Should I restore it to Android 4.4.2
Blur_Version.173.44.9.falcon_umts.Personal.en.AR or 4.4.3 AR Personal version. Or will it update when she puts in the sim card when she gets home. Thank you for any info.

angelgzg

Oct 30, 2010
Maracay
Good my phone has suddenly been hung and when forced reboot is then left in the logo of motorola and it's not from there, I tried to make this tutorial and "appears" that does everything well but then when rebooting just does not start as usual

When trying to enter the recovery says "boot up failed" and tried to install a custom recovery and I get the same

vinciwin

Aug 26, 2012
Liège
I had to restore my XT1039 to stock using this tutorial and i was stuck at boot logo

Actually I had forgotten to flash one of the system part and it took me more time than it should have to notice.

Sent from my XT1039 using XDA Free mobile app

fabian_min

Aug 26, 2014
Hello everyone,

I have been trying to restore my moto g to the firmware 4.4.2 from the 4.4.4.

I have followed every step in the guide but i have encountered a problem with the mfastboot.exe. Every time I start the application it pops this error, " the program can't start because AbdWinApi.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix the problem".

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Aug 19, 2014
Hello everyone,

I have followed every step in the guide but i have encountered a problem with the mfastboot.exe. Every time I start the application it pops this error, " the program can't start because AbdWinApi.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix the problem".

You need this .dll and another one in the same folder that mfastboot.exe is. If you installed Minimal ADB and Fastboot, those files are there, in the same folder you installed it.

fabian_min

Aug 26, 2014
You need this .dll and another one in the same folder that mfastboot.exe is. If you installed Minimal ADB and Fastboot, those files are there, in the same folder you installed it.

thanks man! It worked but... Im using the .xml.zip. firmware and when I try to run the mfastboot boot boot.img It fails and I get this message.

Desktop\CFC-fastboot_falcon_verizon_user_4.4.2_KXB20.9-1.10-1.
20_22_release-keys.xml>mfastboot flash logo logo.bin
target max-sparse-size: 256MB
sending 'logo' (619 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.109s]
writing 'logo'...
OKAY [ 0.078s]
finished. total time: 0.203s

20_22_release-keys.xml>mfastboot flash boot boot.img
sending 'boot' (10240 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.406s]
writing 'boot'...
(bootloader) Preflash validation failed
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.906s

20_22_release-keys.xml>

Last edited:

X-Flies

Oct 16, 2009
I was seeing a video when my phone stopped working. Restarted it by pressing the power button until it switched off. After that, my phone only shows a black screen after the planet logo (not the animated one) that says powered by android. Same happens when i select recovery from fastboot.

My bootloader is locked (code 0).

Is it possible to recover my phone without loosing user data?
I would like to recover my photos, podcasts and sms/mms.

My Moto G is xt1033 Asia and bootloader is version 41.1

Already flashed the stock rom XT1033_ASIA-DS_4.4.4_KXB21.14-L1.40_34_cid7_CFC_1FF.xml without the line that deletes the userdata but it sill happens.

Any other solution?

Petrovski80

Mar 21, 2011
Almelo
I was seeing a video when my phone stopped working. Restarted it by pressing the power button until it switched off. After that, my phone only shows a black screen after the planet logo (not the animated one) that says powered by android. Same happens when i select recovery from fastboot.

My bootloader is locked (code 0).

Is it possible to recover my phone without loosing user data?
I would like to recover my photos, podcasts and sms/mms.

My Moto G is xt1033 Asia and bootloader is version 41.1

Already flashed the stock rom XT1033_ASIA-DS_4.4.4_KXB21.14-L1.40_34_cid7_CFC_1FF.xml without the line that deletes the userdata but it sill happens.

Any other solution?

You say you can flash images with a locked bootloader? Doesn't make sense.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

scraber

Dec 28, 2012
Hello everyone,

You can't fully downgrade from 4.4.4 to 4.4.2
I mean flashing gpt.bin partition and motoboot will occure an error, keep that in mind as you may brick your device.
however if you skip these 2 parts, everything should flash propely.

fabian_min

Aug 26, 2014
You can't fully downgrade from 4.4.4 to 4.4.2
I mean flashing gpt.bin partition and motoboot will occure an error, keep that in mind as you may brick your device.
however if you skip these 2 parts, everything should flash propely.

thanks for the advise but my problem now is when i input the command "mfastboot flash logo logo.bin"

When i run this command it tells me that it failed and shows me this

C:\Users\Desktop\CFC-fastboot_falcon_verizon_user_4.4.2_KXB20.9-1.10-1.
OKAY [ 0.427s]
writing 'boot'...
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.937s

is there a solution to this?

Petrovski80

Mar 21, 2011
Almelo
thanks for the advise but my problem now is when i input the command "mfastboot flash logo logo.bin"

When i run this command it tells me that it failed and shows me this

C:\Users\Desktop\CFC-fastboot_falcon_verizon_user_4.4.2_KXB20.9-1.10-1.
OKAY [ 0.427s]
writing 'boot'...
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.937s

is there a solution to this?

Try another image. I had similar issues when flashing EU 4.4.2 a while ago.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Pre-requisites:

a) Download and install Motorola Drivers:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2550635

b) Download and extract the stock firmware of your choosing from:
    Looks like this link is now broken :'-( http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14
    The firmwares with '_umtsds' in the file name are for the 'dual-sim' versions of the Moto G, it's probably not a good idea to flash these onto single sim phones, or vice-versa.

Edit: More firmwares for international retail and carrier devices can be found here:
    http://www.filefactory.com/folder/c6cdedc45a775d27

Edit: The firmware files have been updated most of the firmware archives are now in .tar.gz archives which include Motorola fastboot and flashing scripts for OSX, Linux and Windows.

On windows the .tar.gz archives need to be opened and extracted using a 3rd party archive manager. e.g. 7-zip, or PeaZip, Windows cannot extract these files natively, Linux and OSX can.

I used the retail British firmware (fastboot_falcon_retgb_user_4.3_14.10.0Q3.X-76-LGG-8_54_release-keys-cid7-Retail_GB.tar.gz), extracted to c:\

c) If the firmware file you downloaded is a .xml.zip file then download Motorola Fastboot View attachment mfastboot-v2.zip (attached to this post) and extract the .exe into the same folder as the stock firmware files (the same folder as the .bin and .img files). If your firmware is a .tar.gz file then skip this step.

d) Get ADB (if you don't already have this, I suggest downloading and installing Minimal ADB and Fastboot by shimp208:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1S0LCuXCnnmOWhnUk1ZWVdQakE

Disclaimer:

Follow these instructions at your own risk. If something goes wrong don't blame me!

I have only tested this on a UK Retail Moto G with an unlocked bootloader, however as these are the original stock signed image files from Motorola it should work on all devices.

See notes at the bottom of this post for downgrading from 4.4.2 to 4.3.

Edit: tkm89 reports that he was able to use this guide to restore Stock Retail British firmware on a bootloader locked Tesco-mobile Moto G

Steps to restore stock firmware:

1) Reboot the phone into bootloader mode. There are 2 ways to do this.
    I) The 'hardware' way.
    a) Unplug the USB cable and power off the phone.
    b) Press and hold 'Volume down' then power on the phone.
    c) Connect USB cable to your computer.​

II) The 'software' way.
    a) Enable developer mode on the Moto G (Settings-> 'About Phone'. Tap 7 times on 'Build Number')
    b) Enable USB debugging. (Settings -> 'Developer options' -> 'USB Debugging' -> check)
    c) Connect phone to computer via USB, you should see a new ADB device detected and drivers installed.
    d) Open "Minimal ADB and Fastboot". Type:
    Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader

You should see the Moto G bootloader screen with the following options:
    Code:
    Normal Powerup
    Recovery
    Factory
    Switch Console [NULL: null]
    Barcodes
    BP Tools
    2) Open a command prompt / terminal (Start -> cmd.exe in Win7) and browse to the folder with the extracted firmware.

In my case:
    Code:
    cd c:\falcon_retgb_user_4.3_14.10.0Q3.X-76-LGG-8_54_release-keys-cid7-Retail_GB

3a) If you downloaded and extracted a firmware in .tar.gz format

In windows, run the 'flashall.bat' script Type:
    Code:
    flashall.bat /eu
    The "/eu" switch forces userdata to be erased from the device, this is the same as a factory reset or wipe this is recommended when restoring stock firmware.
    In Linux/OSX run the flashall.sh script. Type:
    Code:
    chmod +x flashall.sh
    ./flashall.sh

Downgrading:
    The scripts will fail with an error on downgrading from 4.4.2 to 4.3. Open the script in a text editor (notepad) and delete (or comment) the following:
    Lines 89-90 in the flashall.bat file:
    Code:
    CALL :fastboot_flash partition gpt.bin
    IF %errorlevel% NEQ 0 EXIT /b 1
    Lines 120-121 in the flashall.sh file:
    Code:
    run $fastboot -s "$serial_number" flash partition gpt.bin
    if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then echo "ERROR: fastboot failed."; exit -1; fi

3b) If you downloaded and extracted a firmware in .xml.zip format.

Flash each of the partitions in sequence using mfastboot, you need to enter the following commands one-by-one checking that each one returns an [OKAY]
    Code:
    mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin
    mfastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
    mfastboot flash logo logo.bin
    mfastboot flash boot boot.img
    mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk1
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk2
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk3
    mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    mfastboot erase modemst1 
    mfastboot erase modemst2 
    mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    mfastboot erase cache 
    mfastboot erase userdata 
    mfastboot reboot
    Downgrading:
    The 1st command "mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin" will fail on 4.4.2 to 4.3 downgrade. Skip this command if you are downgrading and continue with the other commands, which should work.​

4) Wait, you should now be rebooted into a fully stock Moto G firmware.
    Firmware Lolipop

Mirror
    XT1032 BR 5.0.2
    Google Drive : DOWNLOAD

XT1033 BR 5.0.2

XT1033 Asia 5.0.2

MFastboot

:fingers-crossed:
    Now I have this message
    C:\Motorola\falcon_retbr_ds_user_4.3_14.10.0Q3.X-76-LCG-8_60_release-keys-cid12-
    Brasil_BR>mfastboot flash system system.img
    sending 'system' (524288 KB)...
    OKAY [ 18.111s]
    writing 'system'...
    Multi-Flash is not supported any more!
    Please download latest fastboot from: xxxxxx

the link don´t work
    Can you try mfastboot.exe from the attached zip. This is taken from the south american firmware release.
    High speed mirrors for

XT1032_RETAIL-EU_4.4.4_KX21.14-L1.40_36_cid7_CFC_1FF.xml.zip:
    http://tweaksparadise.com/download/rawdealer/index.php?action=list&folder=65490

XT1032_RETAIL-DE_4.4.4_KXB21.14-L1.40_36_cid7_CFC_1FF.xml.zip:
    http://tweaksparadise.com/download/rawdealer/index.php?action=list&folder=65444

I hope it will be useful for someone. :)
    Im on US 4.4.2 ROM @ UK XT1032. I tried to downgrade to Retail UK 4.3 ROM and Im using motorola fastboot. Im getting error "Preflash validation failed" when I enter the command "fastboot flash partition gpt.bin" inside of the UK 4.3 ROM folder.

Open the flashall.bat in Notepad and remove the following two lines:

Code:
    CALL :fastboot_flash partition gpt.bin
    IF %errorlevel% NEQ 0 EXIT /b 1

The gpt.bin cannot be downgraded so the flashing fails and stops the rest of the script from running. Removing those lines will allow the script to flash everything else and you'll have a working phone. This also works for other 4.3 roms in tar.gz format like the German and French ROMs.