[GUIDE] Videocon A55 HD Rooting and Recovery related stuff

Search This thread

Aaaaanuj1

Dec 23, 2013
Ghaziabad
Heya,
Since there is not enough info on the web regarding the rooting procedure for Videocon A55 HD and custom recovery for this awesomely smooth device, I'm uploading the necessary files and step by step guide. Hope it helps all the users of this device.

Remember rooting would tamper the warranty of the device and should be exercised carefully. The procedures mentioned below have been personally tested by me however I take no responsibility in case you ruin your device although I would be here to help you in such a scenario. Besides this the rooting script was not created by me and all the credit goes to the respective developer.

1. Rooting Procedure

Make sure you have enabled "USB Debugging" under Developer Options on your phone.
Keep your phone disconnected from computer via USB

a) Download and Install the ADB Interface driver for MTK 6589

Link to ADB Drivers

b) Download and extract the rooting package

Link to the Rooting Package

c) Now go to the extracted package and open a command prompt to that location as Administrator.
d) Type run.bat in Command Prompt and a message must appear "Press enter to root your phone..."
e) Press any key
f) Now after a few seconds the message should be " * daemon started successfully *"
g) Now connect your phone via USB to the computer
h) The cmd would automatically start pushing the necessary files onto your phone and when the process completes your phone will restart

Now you are rooted.To check install any Root checker application from playstore. Remember to grant permission while running Root Checker app when a pop up appears. It is suggested to update the SuperSU app from playstore and execute it at least once after that to update the su binary. You can also update the busybox package from playstore because busybox supplied with the rooting package is pretty old.

2. Installing CWM Recovery

Okie, since you are now rooted, most likely you would require a custom recovery to create full nandroid backups or test different ROMs. The CWM recovery provided here was created using MTKDroid Tools and is version 5.x (Non Touch). Again all credit goes to the developer of MTKDroid Tools for making such a powerful piece of software.

a) Download and extract the recovery package.

Link to CWM 5.x and Original Recovery for A55 HD

b) There are two files in the package , one is the custom CWM recovery and the other one is Stock Recovery (Names are pretty self understood)
c) Copy "Custom_Recovery_CWM_A55HD.img" to the root of your SD card
d) Rename it to "recovery.img"
e) Install Mobile Uncle Tools [MUT] from the playstore.
f) Open MUT and go to recovery update
g) Now you must see the recovery.img in a list. Just select it and follow the pop ups.
h) Now your phone would restart.
i) To check if the recovery update was successful, go to MUT and select "Reboot into Recovery" and your phone would most likely start in CWM recovery..

Alternative to get into recovery mode is to Press Power button + Volume Down key together when switched off.

3. Stock ROM for Videocon A55 HD

Okie, here we go, as I mentioned that I had got hold of the stock rom, so here I'm publishing it. The credit goes to Pratap Solunke (psolunke) for providing the Factory ROM zip.
I have just divided it into update.zip and files for SPFT for ease of downloading. Besides I have splitted each section into 4 parts and reuploaded it so you can download them at your ease. I'm providing the link for the whole folder which includes the changelog, update.zip and files for SPFT.
The ROM version is V7 (2013.07.15) which is different from the original ROM which was V5 (2013.06.08).
You can read the changelog for the updates in this ROM.

Link to ROM Folder

If using update.zip to flash this ROM, then

Step 1. Open the update.zip with winrar, Do not extract.
Step 2. Navigate to \META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script and extract this file only, then use "Notepad++" to open the file.Don't use default notepad.
Step 3. Delete assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "A55HD" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "A55HD");
Step 4. Save the file, put it back to the same location in archive (It will take some time to add to archive)..Done...then proceed as usual.

a) update.zip is for reinstalling Factory Image of the ROM from recovery mode. The zip file is signed.
b) Files for SPFT are to be used with SP Flash Tool and can be used in case your phone is bricked. Do not flash the preloader unless you know what you are doing.
c) To download the files just go to the respective folder and right click on each file and hit download. After all four parts are downloaded, extract Part 1 of the downloaded splitted files and the files would be ready to be used as is.
d) Keep all four parts of the splitted files in a single folder and do not rename the splitted files.

If you have any questions related to A55 HD you can ask them here and I would try to help you the best way I can.

I'm still testing some custom ROMS but none seem to work . So far I've tested LEWA OS and MIUI ROM for xiacoao G6 Youth. However I'll keep trying and update once I have a working Custom ROM.
One more project in mind is to port Custom ROMS to A55 HD if none is available as is on the web.
If anyone of you is able to find a working Custom ROM for A55 HD kindly post it here so that we can have a repository of successful and useless attempts. I'm sure it would help others.

Last edited:

nanachitang420

Jul 9, 2012
Rooting procedure worked after two attempts. The device is rooted.
While trying to install CWM recovery, get a problem. Can not see custom recovery in MUT. Pasted on both SD cards, internal and external also.

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

While trying to install CWM recovery, get a problem. Can not see custom recovery in MUT. Pasted on both SD cards, internal and external also. All the recoveries shown in the list are only remote recoveries

Aaaaanuj1

Dec 23, 2013
Ghaziabad
While trying to install CWM recovery, get a problem. Can not see custom recovery in MUT. Pasted on both SD cards, internal and external also.

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

While trying to install CWM recovery, get a problem. Can not see custom recovery in MUT. Pasted on both SD cards, internal and external also. All the recoveries shown in the list are only remote recoveries

I forgot to mention , rename the recovery image to "recovery.img" and then put it in root of SD card and it would get detected by MUT...It will get detected instantly...Thankyou for bringing it to notice...Just updating the post...

Reactions: Viperstriking

nanachitang420

Jul 9, 2012
done but some observations!!!!

DONE.

Some observations:

1. In CWM, cant see internal SD card. While, after mounting usb storage, can see external SD card only. NOTE, CANT SEE INTERNAL SD CARD ONLY WHEN TRY TO MOUNT INTERNAL PHONE STORAGE IN CWM. WHILE NORMAL WORKING NO PROBLEM.
2. Deleted.
3. Deleted.
4. Deleted,
5. Deleted.
6. The font size of Stock and CWM recovery is very small still it can serve the purpose.

Do any body have original/stock update.zip from Company?

Updates:
I think I figured out the problem with touch. Uninstalled an application called "Go Power Master" and the touch is ok even after connecting USB or charger. Thanks man. The phone is working very nice after rooting.

Last edited:

Aaaaanuj1

Dec 23, 2013
Ghaziabad
DONE.

Some observations:

1. In CWM, cant see internal SD card. While, after mounting usb storage, can see external SD card only.
2. After rooting, before even installing CWM, got some irratic behavior with touch. Like, while USB is connected, touch was not working as expected, it took long time to make USB storage active as after touching a specific required operation, like pulling down task bar it was doing something else like opening play store, opening game, or opening date and time settings. While unlocking lock screen, it was just opening any random phone application and is not even allowing to go back with back button or home button. Don't know this is related with what?
3. Irratic application were opening while touching different application but after removing USB, things were working better.
4. Rebooted in CWM and first tried to "fix permissions" to avoid that irratic touch behavior, thinking there was problem with permissions. Took nandroid back up, after fixing permissions. Wiped cache and dalvik cache and restarted.
5. Now, till now phone is not connected to PC with USB cable or connected to charging; it behaves better with touch but it is very troublesome to perform any operation after phone connected to PC with USB or to charger.

May be you have faced these issues or may not! Any suggested solution? Do any body have original/stock update.zip from Videocon?

Updates:
I think I figured out the problem with touch. Uninstalled an application called "Go Power Master" and the touch is ok even after connecting USB or charger. Thanks man.

For me the touch works without any problems...and as for detecting internal sd card...that also works flawlessly..i don't have the phone with me right now...Yesterday I was trying something and the nvram got corrupted [No baseband]...so right now it is resting at service center...Hope to get it next week...

One suggestion never install Carliv Touch Recovery on this phone...it messes with the baseband and display...Stick to this recovery until I build a more updated CWM...

nanachitang420

Jul 9, 2012
update.zip

Nice...let's make this thread a repository of A55 HD..And I have also got hold of the original update.zip and files for SPFT ...Will split them and upload to my google drive...and then share them..

The current version of my phone is 08062013. Can I flash this latest version through CWM and upgrade?

nanachitang420

Jul 9, 2012
Tried to flash update.zip through CWM...

Installing: /sdcard/update.zip
Finding update package...
Opening update package....
Installing update....
assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device")=="A55HD" || getprop("ro.build.product")=="A55HD".
E: Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted...

Restored nandroid backup after this.

Aaaaanuj1

Dec 23, 2013
Ghaziabad
Installing: /sdcard/update.zip
Finding update package...
Opening update package....
Installing update....
assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device")=="A55HD" || getprop("ro.build.product")=="A55HD".
E: Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted...

Restored nandroid backup after this.

Okie it is an easy fix...
Step 1.Open the update.zip with winrar, Do not extract.
Step 2.Navigate to \META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script ,use "Notepad++" to open the file.Don't use default notepad.
Step 3.delete assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "A55HD" ||
getprop("ro.build.product") == "A55HD");
Step 4.Save the file, update to archive..Done

Reactions: nanachitang420

nanachitang420

Jul 9, 2012
Done

Successful.

Please add in above step 2 "to extract file Updater-script on PC" and then use N.........

Flashed modified update.zip from CWM and phone upgraded to version 15072013. To be strange it is showing v1.0 20130715 in build ie in about phone. All the applications were intact but lost root and also CWM recovery; then managed to root the phone and flash CWM with your fantastic guide.

After booting in CWM, wiped cache and dalvik cache(why? don't know). Phone is working nice. Thanks,

Aaaaanuj1

Dec 23, 2013
Ghaziabad
Successful.

Please add in above step 2 "to extract file Updater-script on PC" and then use N.........

Flashed modified update.zip from CWM and phone upgraded to version 15072013. To be strange it is showing v1.0 20130715 in build ie in about phone. All the applications were intact but lost root and also CWM recovery; then managed to root the phone and flash CWM with your fantastic guide.

After booting in CWM, wiped cache and dalvik cache(why? don't know). Phone is working nice. Thanks,

Nice...Yeah, people at Videocon forgot to change the version number i guess...and loss of root and cwm was due to restoring of system.img and recovery.img in the ROM file...so it's normal..
Besides one should always perform a clean install from CWM..i.e. Clear Data, Clear Cache, Clear Dalvik Cache, Format /system/ and then install ROMS..

And yes this ROM is a bit better then the one on phone..I received my phone today from service center and software was updated to this ROM..It felt much better .And the version was same , so this seems to be the latest ROM for A55 HD.. Enjoy ;)

nanachitang420

Jul 9, 2012
How to flash phone with sp flash tools

was trying to flash a recovery build on CWM site. I think it has spoiled baseband. No sim is getting detected. Any idea how to flash phone with SP tool? Don't have access to service station as am very far.

Edit: Managed to flash with SP tool. Used the files you have uploaded for SPFT. Selected all options and now phone is on and showing base band version, also sim are getting detected. The issue was preloader drivers for windows 8 which managed to install by disabling driver signature verification. Device rooted and installation of CWM through MUT was successful. Thanks.

Try this and this. Its as good as custom rom installation works very well with MTK6589

Last edited:

Aaaaanuj1

Dec 23, 2013
Ghaziabad
was trying to flash a recovery build on CWM site. I think it has spoiled baseband. No sim is getting detected. Any idea how to flash phone with SP tool? Don't have access to service station as am very far.

Edit: Managed to flash with SP tool. Used the files you have uploaded for SPFT. Selected all options and now phone is on and showing base band version, also sim are getting detected. The issue was preloader drivers for windows 8 which managed to install by disabling driver signature verification. Device rooted and installation of CWM through MUT was successful. Thanks.

Try this and this. Its as good as custom rom installation works very well with MTK6589

You must understand that the recovery partition is of 6 mb....and most likely the recovery you received from CWM online builder was more than 6 mb..hence your secro.img was also overwritten...hence the problems with baseband and imei....same thing happened with me 7 days back when I had to submit my phone to Service center. Unfortunately i didn't had the flash image then but it is good to know that it can also recover baseband and imei. And congrats for recovering your phone and I'm glad my contribution helps you...

Just remember one thing...if the boot, recovery,secro partitions are of more than 6mb then don't flash them as they would mess one thing or other...and hopefully you had disabled preloader in SPFT.....if not then from next time onwards please do it....because rarely you need to flash preloader...and a wrong flash can make your device a brick which can only be recovered by Test points.Hence never flash preloader until unless you know what you are doing.....And yes, I already use Gravity Box along with Xposed Framework...Great mod...Besides them I also use xhalofloatingwindow with bubble launcher and lwinrecent ...Both are xposed modules and work as expected.I also have init.d support which allows to make boot persistent changes on device....Along with that a few build.prop tweaks that take my ROM to the custom level...Let me know if you need any of this...

Last edited:
Reactions: nanachitang420

nanachitang420

Jul 9, 2012
Please

Thanks for preloader advise. was not that much aware and will take care next time. Please share init.d support, build.prop tweaks and their usefulness.

psolunke

Oct 28, 2009
Home
Which other phones has MTK6589 and same config ?

Tell me model number and brand, i will try to upload stock firmware.

it will help us built custom rom with custom features.
@anuj - Anyways if it brick again and need to send service center, please text me imei and location, i will make it done fast for you dear.:fingers-crossed:

Aaaaanuj1

Dec 23, 2013
Ghaziabad
Thank you Pratap bro. I'll let you know next time if I get to the point where I need to go to service center but I'm sure that with the ROM you provided I wouldn't need to go to one. And yes people you can ask for stock ROM from Pratap. He has excellent connections and can get you at least the Videocon ROM and may be others . Don't forget to thank him. Besides he is an excellent person who wouldn't shy away from helping you if he can. Ciao Pratap brother.

Sent from my A55HD using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Heya,
    Since there is not enough info on the web regarding the rooting procedure for Videocon A55 HD and custom recovery for this awesomely smooth device, I'm uploading the necessary files and step by step guide. Hope it helps all the users of this device.

Remember rooting would tamper the warranty of the device and should be exercised carefully. The procedures mentioned below have been personally tested by me however I take no responsibility in case you ruin your device although I would be here to help you in such a scenario. Besides this the rooting script was not created by me and all the credit goes to the respective developer.

1. Rooting Procedure

Make sure you have enabled "USB Debugging" under Developer Options on your phone.
    Keep your phone disconnected from computer via USB

a) Download and Install the ADB Interface driver for MTK 6589

Link to ADB Drivers

b) Download and extract the rooting package

Link to the Rooting Package

c) Now go to the extracted package and open a command prompt to that location as Administrator.
    d) Type run.bat in Command Prompt and a message must appear "Press enter to root your phone..."
    e) Press any key
    f) Now after a few seconds the message should be " * daemon started successfully *"
    g) Now connect your phone via USB to the computer
    h) The cmd would automatically start pushing the necessary files onto your phone and when the process completes your phone will restart

Now you are rooted.To check install any Root checker application from playstore. Remember to grant permission while running Root Checker app when a pop up appears. It is suggested to update the SuperSU app from playstore and execute it at least once after that to update the su binary. You can also update the busybox package from playstore because busybox supplied with the rooting package is pretty old.

2. Installing CWM Recovery

Okie, since you are now rooted, most likely you would require a custom recovery to create full nandroid backups or test different ROMs. The CWM recovery provided here was created using MTKDroid Tools and is version 5.x (Non Touch). Again all credit goes to the developer of MTKDroid Tools for making such a powerful piece of software.

a) Download and extract the recovery package.

Link to CWM 5.x and Original Recovery for A55 HD

b) There are two files in the package , one is the custom CWM recovery and the other one is Stock Recovery (Names are pretty self understood)
    c) Copy "Custom_Recovery_CWM_A55HD.img" to the root of your SD card
    d) Rename it to "recovery.img"
    e) Install Mobile Uncle Tools [MUT] from the playstore.
    f) Open MUT and go to recovery update
    g) Now you must see the recovery.img in a list. Just select it and follow the pop ups.
    h) Now your phone would restart.
    i) To check if the recovery update was successful, go to MUT and select "Reboot into Recovery" and your phone would most likely start in CWM recovery..

Alternative to get into recovery mode is to Press Power button + Volume Down key together when switched off.

3. Stock ROM for Videocon A55 HD

Okie, here we go, as I mentioned that I had got hold of the stock rom, so here I'm publishing it. The credit goes to Pratap Solunke (psolunke) for providing the Factory ROM zip.
    I have just divided it into update.zip and files for SPFT for ease of downloading. Besides I have splitted each section into 4 parts and reuploaded it so you can download them at your ease. I'm providing the link for the whole folder which includes the changelog, update.zip and files for SPFT.
    The ROM version is V7 (2013.07.15) which is different from the original ROM which was V5 (2013.06.08).
    You can read the changelog for the updates in this ROM.

Link to ROM Folder

If using update.zip to flash this ROM, then

Step 1. Open the update.zip with winrar, Do not extract.
    Step 2. Navigate to \META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script and extract this file only, then use "Notepad++" to open the file.Don't use default notepad.
    Step 3. Delete assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "A55HD" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "A55HD");
    Step 4. Save the file, put it back to the same location in archive (It will take some time to add to archive)..Done...then proceed as usual.

a) update.zip is for reinstalling Factory Image of the ROM from recovery mode. The zip file is signed.
    b) Files for SPFT are to be used with SP Flash Tool and can be used in case your phone is bricked. Do not flash the preloader unless you know what you are doing.
    c) To download the files just go to the respective folder and right click on each file and hit download. After all four parts are downloaded, extract Part 1 of the downloaded splitted files and the files would be ready to be used as is.
    d) Keep all four parts of the splitted files in a single folder and do not rename the splitted files.

If you have any questions related to A55 HD you can ask them here and I would try to help you the best way I can.

I'm still testing some custom ROMS but none seem to work . So far I've tested LEWA OS and MIUI ROM for xiacoao G6 Youth. However I'll keep trying and update once I have a working Custom ROM.
    One more project in mind is to port Custom ROMS to A55 HD if none is available as is on the web.
    If anyone of you is able to find a working Custom ROM for A55 HD kindly post it here so that we can have a repository of successful and useless attempts. I'm sure it would help others.
    Which other phones has MTK6589 and same config ?

Tell me model number and brand, i will try to upload stock firmware.

it will help us built custom rom with custom features.
    @anuj - Anyways if it brick again and need to send service center, please text me imei and location, i will make it done fast for you dear.:fingers-crossed:

I forgot to mention , rename the recovery image to "recovery.img" and then put it in root of SD card and it would get detected by MUT...It will get detected instantly...Thankyou for bringing it to notice...Just updating the post...
    Latest V-Store attached

Attached

Nice...let's make this thread a repository of A55 HD..And I have also got hold of the original update.zip and files for SPFT ...Will split them and upload to my google drive...and then share them..