[HOWTO] ROOT T-Mobile SGSII via ODIN -- Updated Recovery

Search This thread

onyonees

Aug 19, 2009
Did this last night with no issues, thanks again.

still can't get busybox though. I have titanium pro and I do not get the option to download busybox for some reason. when I click problems I get three options, wiki, preferences, update superuser. any suggestions?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

Last edited:

azsl1326

Mar 13, 2008
Arizona
OnePlus 8 Pro
OnePlus 8T
Trying to transfer the recovery file via Odin and it never transfers. I am connected as I see the yellow box. Here's what's listed in the Message window:

<ID:0/006> Added!!
<ID:0/006> Odin v.3 engine (ID:6)..
<ID:0/006> File analysis..
<ID:0/006> SetupConnection..

First Samsung phone, so I am new to Odin, but not Android. I am running Win7 x64. Assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, in advance.

cr1130

Aug 13, 2010
Philly PA
Weird Question

I have Rooted sucessfully no issues so far. (thank the GODS and XDA). I wanted to know as far as internal/external sd memory what should be on the internal memory? The reason Im asking is I have a 32GB class 10 sd card. Will all my music and pics.. However, when I put it in my music isn't seen or recognized by the stock music player. My pics show in the gallery so thats fine. Any ideas. Should my music be on the internal?? I downloaded power amp and its reading my music ok just in folders only. I hope I'm not confising. My question really is what is required to be on the internal SD vs the external? I'm thinking of moving stuff around.

Nismo13

Oct 15, 2011
Chicago
So i followed aleks tips

I tried to put the update.zip on my external sd but when i went into download mode it was not detected on there

So i put it in the phones memory, i went to download mode and it was there so i clicked it and it said signature file cannot be verified and it would not download it from the blue screen

btyork

Apr 16, 2010
Texas
So i followed aleks tips

I tried to put the update.zip on my external sd but when i went into download mode it was not detected on there

So i put it in the phones memory, i went to download mode and it was there so i clicked it and it said signature file cannot be verified and it would not download it from the blue screen

That's because you need to flash the update.zip from CWR, not from download mode... Vol Up+Vol Down+Power - release power after samsung logo, hold vol's till CWR loads.

Kid Poker

Feb 22, 2008
NY
Thanks to the creator of the root! I just rooted it while I was at work since I'm getting pissed off at the bloatware

Kid Poker

Feb 22, 2008
NY
It took me 3 tries to get SU to install. The first time stopped 1/3 way thru, the 2nd time stopped 2/3 thru, then finally the 3rd time it fully installed n says Completed

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

Im having the same problem but when it starts to bu its says it cant bu the system image. I really want to bu my stuff.
Do you have an external SD card? That might be your problem.

nalfis

Dec 18, 2004
Bronx
It worked for me too. Thank You guys, Now I really love this phone. I have to change my phone status to show my love for the Root.

phia

Sep 1, 2010
New York,NY
It took me 3 tries to get SU to install. The first time stopped 1/3 way thru, the 2nd time stopped 2/3 thru, then finally the 3rd time it fully installed n says Completed

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

I do have one in. Is that wats stopping it? so i should take it out to back up?

Took out ex sd now says cant mount/sdcard.

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Su did a complete install after the 3rd time, i guess 3rd times the charm.

OK PROBLEM SOLVED: INSERTED AN EMPTY SD CARD NOW ALL IS GOOD.

Last edited:

kenvan19

Dec 7, 2010
Did this last night with no issues, thanks again.

still can't get busybox though. I have titanium pro and I do not get the option to download busybox for some reason. when I click problems I get three options, wiki, preferences, update superuser. any suggestions?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

Have you tried getting the busybox installer from the market?

steb0ne

May 28, 2007

I've tried with and without my external SD card in...and it still says "Can't mount /sdcard"

Nismo13

Oct 15, 2011
Chicago
That's because you need to flash the update.zip from CWR, not from download mode... Vol Up+Vol Down+Power - release power after samsung logo, hold vol's till CWR loads.

Thanks for responding quickly

But i worded it wrong. I held down vol up +down + power , i guess this is cwr

So i couldnt flash the update.zip from the external sd ( others had this problem i think) so i flashed it from the phones memory and it gave me this error

opening update package..
verifying update package...
E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verfication failed
install_package= (2)

eleazar6

Jan 29, 2009
Arlington, TX
Hey azsl1326 i had the same problem. i powered off then held both volume buttons while plugging in usb. then a samsung disclaimer... OK. then it showd odin mode on the phone. also make sure kies isnt running

Last edited:
Reactions: azsl1326

Nismo13

Oct 15, 2011
Chicago
I already flashed the tar and got an error like others did

So what are you saying eleazar , i have to have my phone plugged into the computer while i am flashing the su in cwr?

So i cant install su in cwr mode , but in kies i can drop the unrarred files into my sd folder and then i installed them thru the phone

Then it gives me this error when i go to su binary updater

downloading manifest
parsing manifest..ok
latest version..3.0
checking installedversion= legacy
fixing database..ok
checking for busybox.. not found
cheking md5sum..okay
checking current install path.. fail

failed to find currently installed su binary
update cannot continue

This may be because I did not download the zip through cwr , but according to my error above , i cannot flash su from cwr because it gives me this message

opening update package..
verifying update package...
E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verfication failed
install_package= (2)

dont know what to do :/

Last edited:

henryr934

Jul 1, 2010
New Carrollton MD
Trying to transfer the recovery file via Odin and it never transfers. I am connected as I see the yellow box. Here's what's listed in the Message window:

<ID:0/006> Added!!
<ID:0/006> Odin v.3 engine (ID:6)..
<ID:0/006> File analysis..
<ID:0/006> SetupConnection..

First Samsung phone, so I am new to Odin, but not Android. I am running Win7 x64. Assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, in advance.

did u find help same problem here

nalfis

Dec 18, 2004
Bronx
Dumb question, which phone version should I choose in room manager when installing clockworkrecovery?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

babymatteo

Aug 30, 2011
SoCal
Wow. My SGS2 will be arriving today...i'll be trying this today.

I'm new to Samsung and new to ODIN. I've been doing some reading and so far the only problem everyone's experiencing is when flashing the update.zip from external sdcard. Answer to this would be to flash zip from internal correct?

Anything else i should know or any tips to make this process smooth?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ROOT THE T-MOBILE SGSII

This Method will flash a recovery Image and then you can flash the superuser .zip file to root the phone.
    This requires minor knowledge. But BE CAREFUL Because this can harm your phone!

First Things you need to have:

*You Need ODIN 1.8++(CLICK ME)
    *The USB Drivers for Our SGSII
    *Clockworkmod which you are going to flash via ODIN
    Code:
    md5sum - 8bf6802a84d85aa7da0c1976c0f129d1
    *Superuser+Su files to flash thru clockworkmod later on!
    *SDCARD installed for CWR

How to Root the phone...

*Before We get things rolling, Make sure the Phone is recognized by your PC.

*Put the Superuser .zip file on your internal SD

*Take the battery out and place it back

*Hold both Vol up + Vol down, and plug the USB cable in.

*On ODIN, Select the PDA button and browse to the recovery-cwm-hercules.tar

*Select Start and see the magic do its thing.

*It should flash the file to Recovery and reboot the phone.

*Take the battery out again and now boot into recovery

*Power off phone, unplug USB, Hold Both Vol up + Vol down and Hit power

*PERFORM NANDROID BACKUP FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY*

*Select Install zip from sdcard, choose the Superuser .zip and let it finish.

*Reboot!

*Now Lets delete some bloat ok? Be careful of what you delete!

***Thanks To Slayher for ROOTING the phone, i just created this small guide for you all to use.
    cant wait to try this!!!!ty to everyone who helped
    If You Can't Find Recovery.tar You'll Find It Here
    http://www.mediafire.com/?5bktv62yoyh3wim
    Thank u.....first time being first :p

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium
    Full (hopefully) noob rooting instructions

Being basically a noob myself, I tried to put all the steps in. Hopefully I included everything for the less well- healed:

1. Download the following:
    a. Odin - Version 1.83 or newer
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=755024&d=1319077881
    b.recovery-cwm-hercules.tar
    http://goo-inside.me/hercules/clockworkmod/
    c. superuser
    http://goo-inside.me/superuser/su-3.0.5-efgh-signed.zip
    2. Make sure windows recognizes your phone in ODIN by starting Odin and seeing that is shows <ID:0/004> Added!! In the message box.
    3. Turn the phone off,
    4. Turn the phone on by holding both the Vol up and Vol down buttons and plug the USB cable in.
    5. Select volume up button
    6. Start Odin
    7. Select the PDA button in Odin and select the recovery-cwm-hercules.tar file
    8. Select Start in Odin
    9. It should flash the file to Recovery and reboot the phone.
    10. After the phone has rebooted, select USB connected from your pull down screen on your phone and push the Connect USB storage button on the bottom.
    11. Copy the Superuser zip file to the sdcard or internal memory
    12. Reboot into recovery by doing the following:
    a. Power the phone off and unplug the USB cable
    b. Hold both the Vol up and Vol down and hold the power button for at least 1 second while continuing to hold both volume buttons
    c. Keep holding the Vol up and Vol down buttons until the Recovery screen comes up
    13. * PERFORM NANDROID BACKUP * - This take a while to run
    Menu button moves selection down;
    Home button moves selection up;
    Back button goes to the top; and,
    Search button selects the choice you've made.
    14. Select Install zip from sdcard or internal storage, choose the superuser zip file and push the Search button (enter)
    15. It takes you to another screen, scroll down using the Menu button to the superuser zip file and push the Search button
    16. Reboot!