[APP] LG Socialite (Friendstream alternative..) [Updated:5/30]

Search This thread

.mak

Mar 17, 2008
I'm starting this thread so people can keep track of my progress in rebuilding this for the Eris (or any other HVGA Android device, for that matter..), and also as a source for the download, once I have it closer to done.

That said, here's the original proof of concept (running on my Eris w/ ZenEXP-Eris Rev7);

proofofconcept.png

That was about an hour ago, I've come a long way in that hour and will update before I go to bed tonight with my progress. So far, I've got the thumbnails shrunk down about 50%, there are now two updates shown in the main view (possibly 3 by the time I'm done, not sure yet) and much more.

This was planned to be done tonight before I logged off, and what I have together now could easily be used but I've decided to put a little more heart into it as it's polishing up very nicely, so stay tuned for the final release (soon!). This project won't take long to complete, but I do ask that anyone interested in this please be patient for the time being.. I'm only human and it's getting late so I will need to sleep eventually :D

-mak

UPDATE:

Ok, here is where I'm at now;

lgsmakupdate1.png

I've got more to iron out, though! More than I originally thought, in fact.. the biggest of which is a bad gateway causing Facebook to not allow status updates (I'm pretty sure this is the result of yanking this from another build..).

For now, the widget works great other than the above, but the app needs updating. I'll hopefully get something out tomorrow or the next day :)

UPDATE [06/04/2010]:

On account of me sending my Eris back to Verizon in exchange for a Moto Droid under warranty, I no longer have a device appropriate for working on this modification, but I will make an attempt at it with emulator. For now, I'm releasing my "source" files for others to work with to better the project from here on out :)

Here is the "source" files (not actually source files, just decompiled apk files) (MD5: 2082711287C469AA361F14E64FA2B7D4)

Here is the apk with a working widget (less facebook, someone needs to figure out the SNG Server error. The error appears on the Droid as well) (MD5: 93E9C7F1C3B635E375DD4428D76F2F17)

Last edited:

backroaddrifter

Dec 10, 2008
middle of nowhere, oklahoma
I'm starting this thread so people can keep track of my progress in rebuilding this for the Eris (or any other HVGA Android device, for that matter..), and also as a source for the download, once I have it closer to done.

That said, here's the original proof of concept (running on my Eris w/ ZenEXP-Eris Rev7);

proofofconcept.png

That was about an hour ago, I've come a long way in that hour and will update before I go to bed tonight with my progress. So far, I've got the thumbnails shrunk down about 50%, there are now two updates shown in the main view (possibly 3 by the time I'm done, not sure yet) and much more.

This was planned to be done tonight before I logged off, and what I have together now could easily be used but I've decided to put a little more heart into it as it's polishing up very nicely, so stay tuned for the final release (soon!). This project won't take long to complete, but I do ask that anyone interested in this please be patient for the time being.. I'm only human and it's getting late so I will need to sleep eventually :D

-mak

wow can't wait!! Will try as soon as you get it up and running. :)

.mak

Mar 17, 2008
Updated!

Will finish up the widget tomorrow and, hopefully, get facebook working. Right now it "Cannot connect to SNG server" and ddms/logcat say "Bad Gateway". I'm open to suggestion on this one :D

-mak

.mak

Mar 17, 2008
Maybe there are some other files that need to be transferred over from the ally

I'm positive that there are, although I believe Friendstream may have a similar, or the same error on some devices.

could you post the apk right now even though it isnt finished to see how it is

It's on my sdcard, in my phone, but I'll get it up tomorrow if I have time to hop online.

On a side note, I'm sorry I haven't been able to update this in the past few days, I've been busy with family stuff and working on my car. I'll try to get more done before the weekend.

xxproblemzxx

Dec 13, 2009
I'm positive that there are, although I believe Friendstream may have a similar, or the same error on some devices.

It's on my sdcard, in my phone, but I'll get it up tomorrow if I have time to hop online.

On a side note, I'm sorry I haven't been able to update this in the past few days, I've been busy with family stuff and working on my car. I'll try to get more done before the weekend.

yeah it'll be cool to try the widget out a bit. oh yeah and you don't have to apologize for having a life :D

.mak

Mar 17, 2008
1+ on that last sentence. ;)

btw .mak, a bit OT but I was wondering if later on down the line is it possible to do something like this but with facebook and flickr instead of the twitter?

It's possible for someone with more thorough knowledge of smali editing to do this, but I wouldn't know how to just yet. I did see some strings related to, if I remember correctly, flickr while editing the widget but they're not functional at this time as far as I know.

On another note, I've released my "source" files and the working apk in the first post. The app is sort of ugly but still functional for the most part, the widget is beautiful and works except for the Facebook SNG Server error, which I can confirm is present on my Moto Droid as well.

Enjoy, and I'm sorry I can't continue this project as extensively as I'd like. If anyone modifies anything please post back here so we can compare :)

-mak

dianeofarcadia

May 9, 2008
Northern Michigan
It's possible for someone with more thorough knowledge of smali editing to do this, but I wouldn't know how to just yet. I did see some strings related to, if I remember correctly, flickr while editing the widget but they're not functional at this time as far as I know.

On another note, I've released my "source" files and the working apk in the first post. The app is sort of ugly but still functional for the most part, the widget is beautiful and works except for the Facebook SNG Server error, which I can confirm is present on my Moto Droid as well.

Enjoy, and I'm sorry I can't continue this project as extensively as I'd like. If anyone modifies anything please post back here so we can compare :)

-mak

Thanks mak. maybe someone could get it going since there doesn't seem to be a flickr widget or anything... wish I knew more but gonna dl the source and see what it is. (my background is xml only so who knows).
and thanks for sharing it!

xxproblemzxx

Dec 13, 2009
I'm unable to install the app. I've used linda and astro file managers and tried adb push. I'm not sure if I'm using the wrong methods

adb remount
adb push Socialite_fixed.apk/system/app

Then it goes through this long list of things but the app is still not on my phone. Any help please

.mak

Mar 17, 2008
Thanks mak. maybe someone could get it going since there doesn't seem to be a flickr widget or anything... wish I knew more but gonna dl the source and see what it is. (my background is xml only so who knows).
and thanks for sharing it!

Glad to help, I hope you work something out :)

I'm unable to install the app. I've used linda and astro file managers and tried adb push. I'm not sure if I'm using the wrong methods

adb remount
adb push Socialite_fixed.apk/system/app

Then it goes through this long list of things but the app is still not on my phone. Any help please

I see what happened, I uploaded the unsigned version. I'll upload the signed one in a minute.

edit: Signed version uploaded. Install through Astro. If you push to /system/app with adb you'll need to reboot your phone, and even then it's hit and miss and sometimes didn't show up for me.

Last edited:

xxproblemzxx

Dec 13, 2009
Glad to help, I hope you work something out :)

I see what happened, I uploaded the unsigned version. I'll upload the signed one in a minute.

edit: Signed version uploaded. Install through Astro. If you push to /system/app with adb you'll need to reboot your phone, and even then it's hit and miss and sometimes didn't show up for me.

alright:) thnx

mixedlemon

Jun 27, 2009
This is fantastic, thank you for this!

Everything seems to be working as it should. Do you think it would be possible to add gesture scrolling sometime instead of up and down buttons?

Top Liked Posts