Free memory (ram) inconsistancy

Search This thread

sw99

Jun 16, 2010
It's been really weird, but in the pull down "quick settings" the free memory will show something like

Total memory: 803mb
Used: 695 Free: 108

Which seems very low.

But if I look at running processes in settings/applications, I get 284 used, 432 available.

So, the questions are:
1. Are these two "memory" values refering to the same thing? They do not add up to the same total.
2. Which one really indicates system resources - I get Sense restarts whenever the quick settings value goes below about 125 - and I don't even know why this should be happening.
3. isn't this phone supposed to have 1gb of ram?

One thing i'm sure about...it is not the app space remaining.

Anyone have any insight?

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App

sw99

Jun 16, 2010
I should point out that tapping on the memory in quick settings takes you to the running process screen.

chubaan

Oct 15, 2007
Houston
i have the same question..
in notifications, it says:
total: 803
Used: 538
free: 265

is this normal? or what is it that is using all that memory?

mike21pr

May 16, 2008
San Juan
I wanna know this as well.... Im kinda paranoid about RAM and thought that 1gb was more than enough, but the htc task manager really dissapoints me when i see what i have free (160-180 average) but i have over 400 free in the stock android process manager.

Which one is more accurate? And why are they so different?

s3nT Fr0m aN0tH3r dIm3nSi0n (EVO 3D)

joehunni

Jun 29, 2010
Arlington
I wanna know this as well.... Im kinda paranoid about RAM and thought that 1gb was more than enough, but the htc task manager really dissapoints me when i see what i have free (160-180 average) but i have over 400 free in the stock android process manager.

Which one is more accurate? And why are they so different?

s3nT Fr0m aN0tH3r dIm3nSi0n (EVO 3D)

Not sure why these are so inconsistent, but I'm much more leaning towards the built-in Android version through the setting menu.

jgalan14

Jul 8, 2010
Las Vegas
i have the same question..
in notifications, it says:
total: 803
Used: 538
free: 265

is this normal? or what is it that is using all that memory?

HTC sense UI , really tho that's why the Samsung galaxy s 2 kick ass on benchmarks , because sense takes a lot RAM , you didn't think this nice looking animations weren't doing anything to your device right ? Is been like that since the EVO days :) will need to get used to it now

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chubaan

Oct 15, 2007
Houston
Ahaa.. that makes sense, that sense is using it of course.. you have a point ..

HTC sense UI , really tho that's why the Samsung galaxy s 2 kick add on benchmarks , because sense takes a lot RAM , you didn't think this nice looking animations weren't doing anything to your device right ? Is been like that since the EVO days :) will need to get used to it now

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk