Replacement usb charging cable?

Search This thread

vanzan

Bought a pre-owned N7 today but it's missing the official usb charging cable. Don't suppose there's a cheap solution? The Asus shop only sells the cable and adapter together and it's rather pricey here in Ireland.

I know there are cheap non official cables you can get but I'm not sure whether they will just cause more problems.

Help! :) Thank you!

Last edited:

henk5066

Apr 29, 2013
Northborough
Ah OK thank you. I just remember the 2012 being a bit fussy about what cable it would charge with.
i am going to tell you right now that that suggestion is not good. A while back, i bought 4 OEM LG cables to charge my devices, including my nexus. The cables charge all of my devices other than the Nexus. below this is a link that i posted on amazon to some cables that i have indeed bought and can confirm work with no issues with the nexus 2013 revision.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GDG1KMM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

best of luck

AnarchoXen

Aug 14, 2010
USA
All cables are NOT the same.

From one to the other you can go from .48 amps to 1.1 amps depending. I've seen some output zero on one devise and .44 on another. Get yourself a little monitor to test those cables. Also you might want to get a dumb cable that only charges vs. a smart cable that charges and syncs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HTAH3KY/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AboveTEK® USB Power Meter Voltage Tester Current Monitor - USB 2.0 3.0 Volt Amp Reader Multimeter LED Screen-Portable Durable mV mA Measurement -

Last edited:

sfetaz

Sep 6, 2007
You do not need any special device to test the cables as you suggest. There are two apps I use to test the current flow on my nexus to determine which Micro USB Cables charge it the fastest. The apps are Current Widget and Battery Monitor. Don't need both but both can be used for the purpose of seeing how fast your phone is being charged.

I have many cables I have tried and found that OEM cables do work best for charging, for after market cables I own, the mono price thin Micro USB cables work the best on my nexus 7. I also have amazon basics USB cables but those do not charge well enough. I have a nexus 7 and a moto x currently, so when I can I use the moto x OEM cable with my nexus 7 and any cable with the moto x (the moto x has some kind of optimized charging ability and I have found it charges well enough regardless of cable, but the nexus 7 needs the right cable to charge at a good rate)

vanzan

Thanks for all the replies....I knew I was asking a valid question. One day my N7 2012 just stopped charging with the supplied ASUS cable. Luckily I had a Samsung travel adapter lying around which it didn't seem to mind! Thanks for the Amazon links but unfortunately I'm not in the States (Ireland).

Last edited:
Reactions: AnarchoXen
My Asus cable went bad on me within the first 2 weeks of me buying my tablet (new). I used an old HTC cable with the Asus wall charger for a while, then went with a Qi wireless charger. Much better than factory, now. That's my suggestion to you as well, just go with a Qi charger and be done with wires!

SwiftKey'ed from my white Note 3 via XDA Premium

Old-school

Feb 6, 2012
Baton Rouge
Have you guys found any cables that work with the OEM charger? I broke my original cable, and it seems that all my other cables have too much plastic shielding around the USB port to go into the slot. I have ordered a Monoprice cable and I was wondering if anyone has used this with the OEM charger

nimdae

Feb 19, 2010
Texas
www.beausteward.com
I have not had any problems with charging using my various mixed brands of micro usb cables. I have a dedicated 5 port usb charger capable of outputting a max of 2 amps per port and all seems fine. The only problem I've run into is one of my portable chargers seems to not like the N7.

JustZaphod

Oct 22, 2013
Nowhere
Every single ASUS charger cable I have owned has failed more than once..
They are made cheaply but they charge a fortune for them..

You can find a cheap, but higher grade cable if you look in Amazon or eBay..
Just check what is the maximum Amps it can take..

I go through cords every day.. The ASUS cables failed the fastest..

shikhar623

Feb 18, 2013
Nba
Hi friends.
My nexus 7 2013 LTE's screen got cracked. I am getting the nexus 7 2012 led screen online. Shall I but it? Will it be compatible with nexus 2013 LTE?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ah OK thank you. I just remember the 2012 being a bit fussy about what cable it would charge with.
    i am going to tell you right now that that suggestion is not good. A while back, i bought 4 OEM LG cables to charge my devices, including my nexus. The cables charge all of my devices other than the Nexus. below this is a link that i posted on amazon to some cables that i have indeed bought and can confirm work with no issues with the nexus 2013 revision.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GDG1KMM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

best of luck
    You do not need any special device to test the cables as you suggest. There are two apps I use to test the current flow on my nexus to determine which Micro USB Cables charge it the fastest. The apps are Current Widget and Battery Monitor. Don't need both but both can be used for the purpose of seeing how fast your phone is being charged.

I have many cables I have tried and found that OEM cables do work best for charging, for after market cables I own, the mono price thin Micro USB cables work the best on my nexus 7. I also have amazon basics USB cables but those do not charge well enough. I have a nexus 7 and a moto x currently, so when I can I use the moto x OEM cable with my nexus 7 and any cable with the moto x (the moto x has some kind of optimized charging ability and I have found it charges well enough regardless of cable, but the nexus 7 needs the right cable to charge at a good rate)
    Don't you have any micro USB cables lying around? Any of them should work perfectly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Thanks for all the replies....I knew I was asking a valid question. One day my N7 2012 just stopped charging with the supplied ASUS cable. Luckily I had a Samsung travel adapter lying around which it didn't seem to mind! Thanks for the Amazon links but unfortunately I'm not in the States (Ireland).