Camcorder sound qualiy, hiss sound, etc

Search This thread

Zeljko1234

May 7, 2010
Stockholm
Yesterday I went to theconcert of Keep Floyding (local Pink Floyd tribute band. btw, they're very, very good) and recorded few songs. Luckily I've tested sound quality during brake and it was terrible!

When I discovered solution for hiss sound, I thought that is going to happen in loud environment as concerts. During the concert I tried to tweak snd_soc_msm_2x and found that deleting 'DEC3 Volume':1:85 and 'DEC4 Volume':1:85 gave me acceptable sound quality. But without deleting 'ADC3 Volume':1:0 and 'ADC4 Volume':1:0, every next records was without sound at all. Of course that make sense.

Today, I continued my investigation and figured out that with deleted four lines mentioned above camcorder will not record sound after phone call. Reboot was only solution. Further investigation showed me that 'DEC3 Volume' or 'DEC4 Volume' doesn't exist in JB snd_soc_msm_2x at all. So I tried to delete those lines completely from snd_soc_msm_2x in CM11. Tested video recording, phone call (even I'm in roaming) and looks like that everything works. Not sure, but even hiss sound during call is gone. Obviously xt92x handles sound differently than other moto_msm8960 devices and we cannot use the same settings.

Looking forward for concert next week with several snd_soc_msm_2x prepared.

Video recorded with 'DEC3 Volume':1:85 and 'DEC4 Volume':1:85

Video recorded without 'DEC3 Volume':1:85 and 'DEC4 Volume':1:85

snd_soc_msm_2x without 'DEC3 Volume'and 'DEC4 Volume'

Disadvantage is that recorded sound is not that loud as with deleted lines. Original snd_soc_msm_2x has several setting for different environment. Maybe devs can add ability to change that in settings.

Please test it. Just replace snd_soc_msm_2x in /system/etc/snd_soc_msm/. Any suggestions or better solutions are welcome :)

Last edited:

kabaldan

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 15, 2009
Prague
android.doshaska.net
Obviously xt92x handles sound differently than other moto_msm8960 devices and we cannot use the same settings.
No, not at all. DECx volumes are not changed from the default 67 value on any stock moto_msm8960 device, xt92x is nothing special in this regard.

The decimator volume handling was introduced in CM so we could somehow compensate a missing post-processing done for camcorder recordings by the proprietary stock audio HAL.
The goal was to increase the volume of recordings to be closer to stock while using the open source qcom audio HAL.
It just gives us another level of flexibility, so we can use the increased or decreased volume levels for different cases, as needed.

If you'd change the camcorder DECx volumes to 67 from the currently used 85, the effect for the camcorder case would be the same as the removal of all the decimator volume handling from snd_soc_msm_2x that you've done.
The currently used 85 value is indeed open for discussion and can be changed to fit our goals best.

Zeljko1234

May 7, 2010
Stockholm
Yesterday I spent a lot of time changing, rebooting, testing, etc. Are you sure that effect would be the same with 67 as with deleting? Maybe no value means microphone auto sensitivity. How do you explain that DECx value doesn't exist in JB snd_soc_msm_2x for xt926 at all? Probably because of the proprietary stock audio HAL.

I have just looked into kk snd_soc_msm_2x and DEC3 Volume shows up only once under Camcorder Tx section with value 76. In CM11 shows up 6 times under several sections, some not related to camcorder. That's why I've got silent record after phone call.

I would really appreciate contribution and testing on xt92x devices instead of claiming that xt92x is nothing special in this regard when MICBIAS confirmed that is ;)

kabaldan

Dec 15, 2009
Prague
android.doshaska.net
Are you sure that effect would be the same with 67 as with deleting?
Yes. (Well, the default may actually be 68, not 67, but the difference is negligible.)

Maybe no value means microphone auto sensitivity.
No. The microphone sensitivity is controlled by the ADCx Volume directive. The decimator volume changes happen further down in the chain, in the digital domain already.

How do you explain that DECx value doesn't exist in JB snd_soc_msm_2x for xt926 at all? Probably because of the proprietary stock audio HAL.
I've already tried to explain that.
The decimator volumes are not changed from the default (67) in JB stock snd_soc_msm_2x for any moto msm8960 2012 device. Not for xt926, xt925, xt897, xt907, xt905, xt901 nor for mb886.
We've introduced it in CM to be able to increase the recording volume for specific use cases, e.g. camcorder.

I have just looked into kk snd_soc_msm_2x and DEC3 Volume shows up only once under Camcorder Tx section with value 76. In CM11 shows up 6 times under several sections, some not related to camcorder. That's why I've got silent record after phone call.
The decimator volume handling we've introduced in CM means that DEC3/4 Volume is set to a custom level in every enable sequence of all use cases that make use of decimator 3 or 4 and set to zero in every disable sequence of those use cases.
If you remove the decimator volume initialization in enable sequence for just one specific use case, it's not surprising that you'll get a mute recording when it follows a use case that ended its session by setting DEC3/DEC4 volume to zero in its disable sequence.
What else would you expect?

I would really appreciate contribution and testing on xt92x devices instead of claiming that xt92x is nothing special in this regard when MICBIAS confirmed that is ;)
How has the MICBIAS issue (a Motorola hack in audio HAL to use different use case definitions on different devices - CAP vs. non-CAP - that has been missed by us till you stepped in with your observations) confirmed that xt92x devices are special in regard to a simple decimator volume setting?

You still don't seem to understand how the micbias issue happened. The main reason why we've missed it was the fact that the snd_soc_msm_2x files in stock JB releases by Motorola were identical for all moto-msm8960 devices. It was a hacky unification of builds done by Motorola. Btw., in KitKat release, Motorola removed the hack and snd_soc_msm_2x of xt926 and xt907 KitKat builds now differs in the micbias settings...

Last edited:

Zeljko1234

May 7, 2010
Stockholm
As I described in the first post, I know that without deleting settings in disable sequence will give mute recordings. I was editing file in the middle of the concert.

First you claim that DECx volumes are not changed from the default (67) in JB stock for any moto devices although I gave you a link to stock file without that at all. Then you wrote that the decimator volume handling is introduced in CM. What's then correct at the end?

When I suggested MICBIAS solution it was so hard to convince you that really removes hiss noise although I gave samples the same as now. As far as I know, you don't have xt92x device and you cannot test it and be completely sure.

I really appreciate your and everyone's work and contribution and would be nice if you can appreciate mine.

kabaldan

Dec 15, 2009
Prague
android.doshaska.net
First you claim that DECx volumes are not changed from the default (67) in JB stock for any moto devices although I gave you a link to stock file without that at all. Then you wrote that the decimator volume handling is introduced in CM. What's then correct at the end?
There's no contradiction.
You are putting sentences that are in agreement to opposition, using the "although" word.
Sorry, I'm lost. I don't understand why you don't understand.

Zeljko1234

May 7, 2010
Stockholm
I'm pretty sure, you understand my point but looks like that is pointless for me to continue. Like before, you're pushing settings which work for your kind of the device without testing on another. The same as volumes for different (loud) environment. Now when finally someone (me), trying to contribute and improve settings for xt92x (which I have and can test), is getting to be underestimated and rejected. Completely opposite of the open source community.

Anyway, please don't answer me here anymore.

For others, still interested to test (maybe CWGSM3VO can create flashable zip again?). Please test it and post your suggestions so we can ask maintainers (probably the same guy above :D) of unified rom to incorporate into the next build. There is snd_soc_msm_2x xt92x already, so hopefully shouldn't be big problem.

If no one is interested, well, I'll find optimal solution for myself and enjoy in clear camcorder sound without hiss or distortion :)

P.S.
Of course, I'll share that as I always do.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yesterday I went to theconcert of Keep Floyding (local Pink Floyd tribute band. btw, they're very, very good) and recorded few songs. Luckily I've tested sound quality during brake and it was terrible!

When I discovered solution for hiss sound, I thought that is going to happen in loud environment as concerts. During the concert I tried to tweak snd_soc_msm_2x and found that deleting 'DEC3 Volume':1:85 and 'DEC4 Volume':1:85 gave me acceptable sound quality. But without deleting 'ADC3 Volume':1:0 and 'ADC4 Volume':1:0, every next records was without sound at all. Of course that make sense.

Today, I continued my investigation and figured out that with deleted four lines mentioned above camcorder will not record sound after phone call. Reboot was only solution. Further investigation showed me that 'DEC3 Volume' or 'DEC4 Volume' doesn't exist in JB snd_soc_msm_2x at all. So I tried to delete those lines completely from snd_soc_msm_2x in CM11. Tested video recording, phone call (even I'm in roaming) and looks like that everything works. Not sure, but even hiss sound during call is gone. Obviously xt92x handles sound differently than other moto_msm8960 devices and we cannot use the same settings.

Looking forward for concert next week with several snd_soc_msm_2x prepared.

Video recorded with 'DEC3 Volume':1:85 and 'DEC4 Volume':1:85

Video recorded without 'DEC3 Volume':1:85 and 'DEC4 Volume':1:85

snd_soc_msm_2x without 'DEC3 Volume'and 'DEC4 Volume'

Disadvantage is that recorded sound is not that loud as with deleted lines. Original snd_soc_msm_2x has several setting for different environment. Maybe devs can add ability to change that in settings.

Please test it. Just replace snd_soc_msm_2x in /system/etc/snd_soc_msm/. Any suggestions or better solutions are welcome :)
    Obviously xt92x handles sound differently than other moto_msm8960 devices and we cannot use the same settings.
    No, not at all. DECx volumes are not changed from the default 67 value on any stock moto_msm8960 device, xt92x is nothing special in this regard.

The decimator volume handling was introduced in CM so we could somehow compensate a missing post-processing done for camcorder recordings by the proprietary stock audio HAL.
    The goal was to increase the volume of recordings to be closer to stock while using the open source qcom audio HAL.
    It just gives us another level of flexibility, so we can use the increased or decreased volume levels for different cases, as needed.

If you'd change the camcorder DECx volumes to 67 from the currently used 85, the effect for the camcorder case would be the same as the removal of all the decimator volume handling from snd_soc_msm_2x that you've done.
    The currently used 85 value is indeed open for discussion and can be changed to fit our goals best.