[Q] Trouble Installing Sense 6 Update

Search This thread

viv_1980

Jun 11, 2014
Hello, i'm trying to install the latest Sense 6 update on my HTC On; however, i get the following error message with the red triangle:

Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installing update...
Verifying current system...
Check /data/preload/SoundHound_Freemium.apk failed, error No such file or directory ( )
Installation aborted.
Write host_mode: 0 done[/B]

Any help would be much appreciated!

Viv

yatindroid

Sep 23, 2009
Jaipur
When you unlock boot loader data/preload apps deleted so you have to restore them according to your your phone Rom version

from HTC One

yatindroid

Sep 23, 2009
Jaipur
My software version is: 4.20.771.17
ok you need some apps missing during unlock boot loader process
Which was at data /preload so you have to restore them like sound hound & others
How get these apk
find another HTC One with same software version install es file explorer on that
Open es explorer go to apps manager backup all apps which are HTC made like calculator flash light htc ringtonetrimmer htc sound recorder sound hound use your logic these apps are long name & version then any other apps
copy these apps to your phone data/preload use root explorer now try ota again ( if any error still there note that error & try solving same way)

Or easy & long way S Off your phone
Then just install THIS & try ota for next version & again next version until you get your desired version

from HTC One

viv_1980

Jun 11, 2014
Does this require the phone to be rooted? Just so you know, my phone is not rooted.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app

coolboy2343

May 4, 2013
yes you need root
Bootloader locked or unlocked ?
Facing a similar problem but with system/app/plusone.apk, the sense 5.5 OTA had come in without any issues, only this OTA is getting stuck. I am S-ON, bootloader locked with stock recovery. To use the Guru reset tool, is it necessary to be S-OFF? My s/w version is 4.19.1540.9, there is a 4.3 RUU available on Htc dev site? Can i download it and run the .exe on a computer with my phone being BL locked, stock recovery or we can not downgrade to 4.3 from 4.4.2? I was planning to run the 4.3 .exe ruu and then OTA twice to get sense 6.

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
Facing a similar problem but with system/app/plusone.apk, the sense 5.5 OTA had come in without any issues, only this OTA is getting stuck. I am S-ON, bootloader locked with stock recovery. To use the Guru reset tool, is it necessary to be S-OFF? My s/w version is 4.19.1540.9, there is a 4.3 RUU available on Htc dev site? Can i download it and run the .exe on a computer with my phone being BL locked, stock recovery or we can not downgrade to 4.3 from 4.4.2? I was planning to run the 4.3 .exe ruu and then OTA twice to get sense 6.

you can't downgrade with S-ON using a ruu. This is not required to to be s-off to use guru reset rom but s-off is required for the guru bootloader reset tool. There is also a nandroid backup of 5.11.1540.9 and the signed firmware in the dev edition updates thread, where you have already posted about the same issue. look at page 94

Last edited:
Reactions: coolboy2343

coolboy2343

May 4, 2013
you can't downgrade with S-ON using a ruu. This is not required to to be s-off to use guru reset rom but s-off is required for the guru bootloader reset tool. There is also a nandroid backup of 5.11.1540.9 and the signed firmware in the dev edition updates thread, where you have already posted about the same issue. look at page 94
Thanks a lot alray, i did see the tutorial and to use the Guru reset tool, i need to unlock my bootloader, flash TWRP, then flash Guru reset tool and read on screen instructions to flash a stock recovery and firmware. After that, i need to relock the bootloader and check for OTA updates. The guru reset available is 3.22.1540.1 and as you say it does not require S-OFF.

What would be a safer way? To use guru reset tool and then do OTA updates till the latest firmware or install the 5.11.1540.9 firmware, i have absolutely no clue on how to flash stock firmwares, if it is done through custom recoveries or stock recovery.

Thanks

Last edited:

yatindroid

Sep 23, 2009
Jaipur
Thanks a lot alray, i did see the tutorial and to use the Guru reset tool, i need to unlock my bootloader, flash TWRP, then flash Guru reset tool and read on screen instructions to flash a stock recovery and firmware. After that, i need to relock the bootloader and check for OTA updates. The guru reset available is 3.22.1540.1 and as you say it does not require S-OFF.

What would be a safer way? To use guru reset tool and then do OTA updates till the latest firmware or install TWRP and then flash the 5.11.1540.9 firmware using TWRP?

Thanks
don't lock bootloader until your work finished you don't need it unlocked bootloader will help you if you got some difficulty / error
Guru rest Rom not required s off but if ota over that version should be same with your current version if not ota will fail for example your current version is 5 you use guru reset rom with version 3 then you will update it with ota version 4 it will fail because S On will not let you flash firmware 4 over 5 so keep that in mind use guru reset with same version of your current version

coolboy2343

May 4, 2013
don't lock bootloader until your work finished
Guru rest Rom not required s off but if ota over that version should be same with your current version if not ota will fail for example your current version is 5 you use guru reset rom with version 3 then you will update it with ota version 4 it will fail because S On will not let you flash firmware 4 over 5 so keep that in mind use guru reset with same version of your current version
Now I'm yatin kumar to yatindroid
Darn it, which means i cant use Guru reset as my current version is 4.19.1540.9 and there is no reset tool available for it. Dont want to play around with S-OFF etc as am planning to sell the phone and worried if something might go wrong during the process.
The last option available is to then use a 4.19.1540.9 but one user had said some where that4.xx RUU's are not working.
I tried but could not find a 4.19.1540.9 nandroid backup as well, will try the RUU and if it does not work then maybe wait for htc dev to release 4.4.2 RUU from their end.

alray

May 22, 2012
The last option available is to then use a 4.19.1540.9 but one user had said some where that4.xx RUU's are not working.
I tried but could not find a 4.19.1540.9 nandroid backup as well, will try the RUU and if it does not work then maybe wait for htc dev to release 4.4.2 RUU from their end.

Why would you want to find a 4.19.1540.9 nandroid backup when I said at post #11 that there is a nandroid backup of 5.11.1540.9 and the 5.11.1540.9 signed firmware in the dev edition updates thread at page 94 (posted by me, users reported both nandroid and firmware working good)
@yatindroid : sorry for hijacking this thread.

Last edited:

coolboy2343

May 4, 2013
Sorry but i have no clue at all on how to use that nandroid backup to update the phone. Do i need to unlock bootloader again, flash twrp and then restore that backup?
What to do with the firmware file?
Thanks

Why would you want to find a 4.19.1540.9 nandroid backup when I said at post #11 that there is a nandroid backup of 5.11.1540.9 and the 5.11.1540.9 signed firmware in the dev edition updates thread at page 94 (posted by me, users reported both nandroid and firmware working good)

alray

May 22, 2012
Sorry but i have no clue at all on how to use that nandroid backup to update the phone. Do i need to unlock bootloader again, flash twrp and then restore that backup?
Thanks

1. unlock bootloader
  2. flash twrp 2.6.3.3
  3. boot phone in recovery
  4. make a backup of ''Boot'' only (this is only to generate a backup path on your phone)
  5. when completed, reboot phone in the OS, connected on your computer
  6. browse your internal storage, go to TWRP/Backups/Your_Phone_serial/Some_date/
  7. delete files in this folder (these are the file backed up previously to generate the backup path above)
  8. extract the 5.11.1540.9 backup archive and copy all the files in the backup folder (previously generated) of your phone (TWRP/Backups/Your_Phone_serial/Some_date/) should have around 11 files (some .win .md5 files and a .log)
  9. go back in twrp, select ''restore'' , select ''some_date'' folder, select all the partitions and swipe to restore
  10. after the restore is completed, in twrp go to ''wipe'' then ''swipe to factory reset'' do not ''format data'' or ''advanced wipe''
  11. reboot phone in the OS

if you want to update the firmware after restoring the backup:
  1. relock bootloader
  2. reboot bootloader
  3. flash the firmware
    Code:
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    fastboot oem flash zip firmware.zip
    fastboot reboot

flashing firmware can be dangerous so be sure you understand what you are doing first, there is a lot of threads here explaining how to flash firmware.

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

am planning to sell the phone

Why not just seeling the phone ''as is'' ?

if you have any other question please pm me, open another thread or post in the dev update thread so it will be easier for @yatindroid and @viv_1980 to continue troubleshooting viv_1980's issue.

there is also another thread that discuss the exact same issue you are having ''unexpected content'' of /system/app/plusone.apk on 4.19.1540.9: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53381299
Maybe you could try what I said in that thread before messing with backups and firmware.

Last edited:
Reactions: coolboy2343

coolboy2343

May 4, 2013
Problem solved

Thanks a ton to @alray, @yatindroid and @SaHiLzZ, i finally downloaded the 4.19.1540.9 RUU from Android ruu, connected to windows 7, used the .exe file and it smoothly flashed the stock firmware. After it, updated OTA to sense 6 and this time the update went smoothly and my M7 is now updated to sense 6. It is completely stock now, will easily get OTA updates in future and i wanted to set things right before selling it off so that the future owner does not face issues with the phone, not every one is a member of Xda :D.

Thanks guys

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks

1. unlock bootloader
    2. flash twrp 2.6.3.3
    3. boot phone in recovery
    4. make a backup of ''Boot'' only (this is only to generate a backup path on your phone)
    5. when completed, reboot phone in the OS, connected on your computer
    6. browse your internal storage, go to TWRP/Backups/Your_Phone_serial/Some_date/
    7. delete files in this folder (these are the file backed up previously to generate the backup path above)
    8. extract the 5.11.1540.9 backup archive and copy all the files in the backup folder (previously generated) of your phone (TWRP/Backups/Your_Phone_serial/Some_date/) should have around 11 files (some .win .md5 files and a .log)
    9. go back in twrp, select ''restore'' , select ''some_date'' folder, select all the partitions and swipe to restore
    10. after the restore is completed, in twrp go to ''wipe'' then ''swipe to factory reset'' do not ''format data'' or ''advanced wipe''
    11. reboot phone in the OS

if you want to update the firmware after restoring the backup:
    1. relock bootloader
    2. reboot bootloader
    3. flash the firmware
      Code:
      fastboot oem rebootRUU
      fastboot reboot

flashing firmware can be dangerous so be sure you understand what you are doing first, there is a lot of threads here explaining how to flash firmware.

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

am planning to sell the phone

Why not just seeling the phone ''as is'' ?

if you have any other question please pm me, open another thread or post in the dev update thread so it will be easier for @yatindroid and @viv_1980 to continue troubleshooting viv_1980's issue.

there is also another thread that discuss the exact same issue you are having ''unexpected content'' of /system/app/plusone.apk on 4.19.1540.9: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53381299
    Maybe you could try what I said in that thread before messing with backups and firmware.