Anyway of resetting custom binary counter on locked bootloader

Search This thread

scadilla

Sep 24, 2007
So I wanted to get a spare S3 back to stock so I could trade it in for an upgrade, so I Odin'd to the official 4.3 with NC1 locked bootloader, but forgot to reset the custom binary counter. Is there any way to reset custom binary counter once you are on a locked bootloader? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
I have seen people who say you can use triangle away but I have also seen people who said triangle away doesn't work or bricks the phone on the locked bootloader. I am 99% sure it doesn't work and 100% sure you shouldn't try.

Reactions: ShapesBlue

Wh1t3Rose

So I wanted to get a spare S3 back to stock so I could trade it in for an upgrade, so I Odin'd to the official 4.3 with NC1 locked bootloader, but forgot to reset the custom binary counter. Is there any way to reset custom binary counter once you are on a locked bootloader? Any help would be appreciated.
There is an option to reset this in Odin when you odin a stock image. And yes do not use triangle away on a locked bootlaoder. It will brick you. Do it in odin!

Reactions: scadilla

scadilla

Sep 24, 2007
There is an option to reset this in Odin when you odin a stock image. And yes do not use triangle away on a locked bootlaoder. It will brick you. Do it in odin!
Not sure if I mentioned it previously, but I don't need to preserve anything on the phone. That being I didn't happen to notice the option in Odin, can you point me in the right direction? I appreciate it. Thanks for all your help.

BROKEN1981

Dec 27, 2013
ASUS ROG Phone 3
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Just use the vzw repair assistant. It will reset you phone to stock as well as killing off the counter. No need for odin. For the users that just want the custom padlock gone, wanam. Resets the flag to official.

Wh1t3Rose

Just use the vzw repair assistant. It will reset you phone to stock as well as killing off the counter. No need for odin. For the users that just want the custom padlock gone, wanam. Resets the flag to official.

Seeing that he doesn't need to preserve anything his best bet is Odin. The program you mention is unnecessary as it takes much longer and backs up his phone and he does not need to that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

BROKEN1981

Dec 27, 2013
ASUS ROG Phone 3
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Actually its straight forward, eadier to use, and has a check mark option to back up the phone. Its the same as using odin. I used it with out backing up my phone. Other users reported problems with using odin. Like the process stops. Never happened to me. Also the vzw tool put the phone in download mode. And I have to say for putting your phone back to stock and resetting the flash counter is better then odin.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have seen people who say you can use triangle away but I have also seen people who said triangle away doesn't work or bricks the phone on the locked bootloader. I am 99% sure it doesn't work and 100% sure you shouldn't try.