Bluetooth Car Stereo - JVC KDX50BT

Search This thread

RurouniKarly

Jun 23, 2012
I just bought one of these and installed it today. The color default seemed to be on the color cycle setting, so I followed the instructions in the manual to pick colors for the button and display regions. However, the lights only stayed on my chosen colors for about a minute before reverting back to the color cycle. I went through the color selection procedure again and the same thing happened. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong and how to get the lights to stay on my chosen colors?

chrlswltrs

Aug 24, 2010
Seattle
I just bought one of these and installed it today. The color default seemed to be on the color cycle setting, so I followed the instructions in the manual to pick colors for the button and display regions. However, the lights only stayed on my chosen colors for about a minute before reverting back to the color cycle. I went through the color selection procedure again and the same thing happened. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong and how to get the lights to stay on my chosen colors?

Did you disable demo mode? They are normally set to demo when you first install.

sputnik767

Dec 28, 2010
wow, this looks really good. I've never installed car stereos though. Is this hard to do or do you recommend taking it somewhere?

From some of the professional installs I've seen, you're better off doing it yourself, even if your only tool is a hammer. Do it yourself, it's very easy. Depending on your car, you may need a dash kit, and you will need a wiring harness adapter, wire splices (I used the crimp-on kind, but twist-ons should work just as well), instructions on how to disassemble the portion of your dash, and a few hours of your time. As mentioned, if you buy from Crutchfield, they will provide an instruction sheet, and you can buy everything from them. Their prices are excellent. Just plug the wiring harness adapter into your stock radio wiring, and splice the wiring harness adapter with the wiring harness for your new stereo.

SDC_Bolts

Jan 21, 2009
Anyone on Jelly Bean? Bluetooth ID3 tags nor showing up again. Anyone else with this issue?

Sent from my GN on JB full of BS!

dorkultra

Jul 8, 2012
i've been through several radios recently in an attempt to find the best one. i was using an epic 4g touch with the FF18 Supernova ICS rom and a nexus s 4g with the official ICS build

started with the kenwood KDC-BT952HD. the sound was amazing and the display looked really nice. the call quality on the outgoing calls was not that great. also, it took a while to load up my list pandora stations. it had issues with the bluetooth connection. sometimes it wouldn't connect to the radio. sometimes it wouldn't call up pandora. sometimes once it would call up pandora, it would only play 10 seconds of the song and then stop. if i reset the radio, it would work fine for about 1 day and then stop. i updated the firmware and it didn't make a difference. ended up returning it

i tried the JVC KDR80BT. the bluetooth was flawless. it loaded up my list of pandora stations. outgoing calls were slightly better than the kdc-bt952hd, but not great. the problem with this radio is that i could never get the sound to be as good as the kdc-bt952hd. only way to make it somewhat similar was to turn on the HPF for the front and rear speakers. the equalizer didn't let me dial in the sound enough and it was not user friendly. ended up returning it

i tried the Alpine CDE-HD138BT. the bluetooth was a little tricky to get started most times. usually i'd have to tell my phone to connect to the radio, rarely it would auto connect. however, once it connected, pandora and bluetooth audio worked great. if you changed the source, sometimes it wouldn't reconnect to pandora. the call quality was awesome, people usually couldn't tell that they were on speakerphone in my car. sometimes it would randomly drop calls. it took a while to get the equalizer settings to dial in right, but the sound was really decent. the equalizer was not user friendly at all. also, the display was just a single 1 line. i couldn't eliminate any unused sources either. going to return this

i installed the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X996. it is very similar to the KDC-BT952HD, with the addition of a better equalizer. so far everything has been great. there is a known issue that the equalizer will reset when a phone call is made, so i have to update the firmware. bluetooth takes a little long to auto connect, but pandora loads up easily. outgoing calls are pretty decent, almost on pair with the alpine. the sound is amazing once you get the EQ setup. hopefully this one is a keeper!

SKYLINESSUCK

Sep 14, 2010
Okinawa, Japan
Galaxy Nexus here. I lost ID3 tags on 4.1 as well. I just changed over to the latest AOKP Milestone 6 and they are back. I have been having a terrible time getting it to connect properly with bluetooth. This is on a JVC KDR80BT btw, but I had the same problems with a Kenwood unit a while back. It'll connect and when it does, I have it set to autoplay google music after 8 seconds. Well, half the damn time it plays over the speaker of the phone, and not the car speakers. The phone and the headunit both say they are connected, but that's not what I'm hearing. Anybody else have this problem?

Czarnickoli

Feb 1, 2010
i installed the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X996. it is very similar to the KDC-BT952HD, with the addition of a better equalizer. so far everything has been great. there is a known issue that the equalizer will reset when a phone call is made, so i have to update the firmware. bluetooth takes a little long to auto connect, but pandora loads up easily. outgoing calls are pretty decent, almost on pair with the alpine. the sound is amazing once you get the EQ setup. hopefully this one is a keeper!
Thank you! I've been looking for someone on the forum to have input on the kdc-x996...I'm in the market for a new deck and have all but settled on this one! Can you use Google music app with id3 tags through the deck or no? How is usb connection btw? Just looking for an overall ease of use with selecting music from my phone through the deck, how has your experience been?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

dorkultra

Jul 8, 2012
Thank you! I've been looking for someone on the forum to have input on the kdc-x996...I'm in the market for a new deck and have all but settled on this one! Can you use Google music app with id3 tags through the deck or no? How is usb connection btw? Just looking for an overall ease of use with selecting music from my phone through the deck, how has your experience been?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

ID3 tags show up with the google app. i tried to use usb with the phone and it just kept saying n/a device. usually i use bluetooth anyways and it works great. i generally use playlists, so i never select music through the deck. i'm not sure if thats possible through the bluetooth connection, i'll have to fumble around and see what i can find.

i discovered the voicetag feature by accident. if you hold the center button for 2 seconds, it calls up vlingo. this is awesome, i can have it bring up directions on the fly now!

SDC_Bolts

Jan 21, 2009
ID3 tags show up with the google app. i tried to use usb with the phone and it just kept saying n/a device. usually i use bluetooth anyways and it works great. i generally use playlists, so i never select music through the deck. i'm not sure if thats possible through the bluetooth connection, i'll have to fumble around and see what i can find.

i discovered the voicetag feature by accident. if you hold the center button for 2 seconds, it calls up vlingo. this is awesome, i can have it bring up directions on the fly now!

The id3 tags on JB 4.1 should be fixed shortly since source and bluetooth binaries were released.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

lbohn

Jan 18, 2007
29°47'30"N 98°43'50"W
The latest update to Google Play Music (v4.3.606) fixes ID3 tag transmission between phone and KDX50BT via Bluetooth.

Track name, album name and artist name are all sent to the deck when connected via Bluetooth. Track time, however, is not.

Because the deck receives ID3 info, the DISP button now works!. Pressing DISP cycles through track time-->track+album+artist-->track-->CLOCK (finally)!!!

I'm using a stale CM9 nightly on my AT&T SGS2 (i777).

--L.

Last edited:

lbohn

Jan 18, 2007
29°47'30"N 98°43'50"W
What firmware version is your deck? Mine shipped with version 0201 in June despite version 0203 being available since early February. I updated the deck to 0203 shortly after I got it. FW0203 + CM9 + GPMv4.1.513 hadn't been sending tags since mid June. The only thing to change between then and now was yesterday's update to GPM. As a result, tags started working. They are also now working with my Win7 PC via Bluetooth.

You can download the firmware here: http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/car/support/navi/r50/index.html or you can drill down to it from here: http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/car/ (Firmware Update > KD-R50...KD-X80BT).

--L.

urinsane

Feb 28, 2006
Maui
Jelly bean ROMs do not appear to work with the id3 tags. I'm sure someone will fix soon enough.
(I am on latest firmware)

mrtraveler

Dec 24, 2010
Just Ordered one

I was looking at the JVC KD-X50BT before I found this thread and was actually checking it out on the JVC and Crutchfield websites. Since my listening is streaming only I had no need for the next model up with the CD player. But I did have two questions the first was will it work with my stock GNex 4.1.1 which I thought was kinda funny because I found the product then found this thread and since I found the answer "Yes" on this thread I just ordered one. The second question was about the Steering Wheel Remote, does anyone have any suggestions? My vehicle is a base car without the fancy factory steering wheel controls so I’ll need one that is compatible with the JVC radio.

I think the OP should get a kick back from JVC and Crutchfield.com. :good:

darklavalizard

May 10, 2011
So if I understand this correctly, no head units allow you to select songs through the head unit when using bluetooth, only when your phone is hooked up over USB? If so, that would really suck as I don't want to be messing with my phone to select music, especially here where it's a ticket for texting and driving. Cop might think I'm texting and pull me over :(

SKYLINESSUCK

Sep 14, 2010
Okinawa, Japan
I "upgraded" my firmware from USB 0307 to USB 0207 and it connects better now, but it's still far from 100%.

About the choosing songs questions, you can still skip through the songs with the previous/next buttons on the head unit, but you can't scroll through list and choose like that or anything.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Though I would post this for anyone looking for bluetooth car options. I've been using this deck for the past week and love it. For years I used FM Transmitters, but after breaking/losing/etc several and not loving the sound quality, I bought a deck with auxillary input. That was fine, but still wires everywhere (especially when charging).

I purchased and installed the JVC KDX50BT. It is their entry level bluetooth deck, and does not have a CD player. Thats fine for me. I drive a Jeep and the CD players always end up getting dust inside and stop working after a few years (and I never use them). I ordered from Crutchfield for $100 shipped: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDX50BT/JVC-KD-X50BT.html?tp=5684

In short, I love it. The bluetooth streaming audio sounds great, and although its hard to do an A/B comparison, I believe it is better quality than the old deck with auxillary in. Bass seems to not distort at higher volumes as much as the auxillary in. This would make sense if the stereo itself is doing the digital processing. It also shows the current song information. This is "BT Audio" mode, and will basically stream whatever audio you are currently playing from any app.

It also has Pandora capabilities. This is called "BT Pandora" mode and it will display your current station info. Even better, you can thumbs up or thumbs down a track from the deck itself. When you do this, the Pandora app recognizes this and displays a screen that does not allow user input from the phone. It is kind of annoying as I plan to put in a car mount and wouldn't mind being able to see the album art. On the other hand, I have put in about 3 hours of listening so far (off and on) and haven't had a commercial yet, so I'm not complaining too much! I was going to upgrade Pandora but now I may not need to.

There is also an external microphone you can mount anywhere in your car to use for calls. I haven't used it much but initial reports from my friends are that sound quality for the other party is good.

It isn't completely bug free with my Epic Touch (Running Mijj's Blend ICS right now). Sometimes it will switch over to the Pandora mode in the middle of a song without me telling it to. This is annoying, but it is quick to switch from Pandora mode. It doesn't always display the current song information correctly in BT audio mode, but most of the songs I'm streaming from my phone I don't need to know the title. It does not show song info from Spotify. It also will not display info from my podcast player (beyondpod) but I don't really care about that. The stock music apps seem to work best for song info.

I am guessing many of these issues are with the Bluetooth protocol and the way our phones handle it. It could also be the fact I am using a custom ROM rather than stock. All issues are minor annoyances.

Other pros:
    -You can change the colors of the display to pretty much anything you want, and have different schemes for night and day.
    -Easy to pair.
    -Two USB inputs (front and rear) but if you are using bluetooth, one of these will be taken up by the JVC USB Bluetooth adapter.
    -USB inputs are 1.0mA rather than the standard 0.5mA for faster charging. (I still use my car charger as it is positioned better for my needs)
    -Radio does seem to have great reception; finding quite a few more stations that my old deck.

Other cons:
    -Radio station presets awkward to use... you have to "scroll" through them rather than just hitting button 1-6. I've been playing with the bluetooth too much to really get used to it.

Meh:
    -I also have a set of bluetooth headphones. If I am listening to the headphones and get into the Jeep, I have to either turn off the headphones before turning on the stereo, or manually connect in the bluetooth settings menu. As far as I know this is a bluetooth limitation and not the fault of the deck. It would be sweet to have it transfer automatically to the new source when it finds it, but not sure this is possible regardless of the setup.
    -There is a JVC app that allows some touch based controls on your phone. I haven't used it much but it does seem to work OK.

All of that aside, the real reason I bought it was for the ease of getting into my Jeep with my phone in my pocket, having the phone automatically connect and begin streaming high quality audio to the stereo within about 30 seconds of the car starting (it takes a moment for the phone to connect). On short drives the phone doesn't even leave my pocket. So far, I couldn't be any happier with the results I am getting, especially for $100.

................And I just found the following deal that gets it down to $81 shipped. That sucks for me, but even at $100 it is a steal!
    http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/698...AQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNE28H5hsYS9gz484lxxo97Nukzipw
    Came here to find out if USB hub would work and thought I'd share.

Purchased one of these from Crutchfield a few months ago and couldn't be happier.
    First of all, got for $80 total with all the installation stuff. It was $120, but then used the $20 off promo code. And for anyone with a Discover card, you can use your cashback to get $100 Crutchfield gift card for $80.

Bluetooth works fine for me. A few startup connection issues on occasion, but turning BT off/on on the phone fixes that.
    I went the way of a USB hub also to keep my front port open. Got a Belkin 4-port hub from Amazon for $5. Haven't tried multiple USB drives, but it works fine with a 32gb and the BT module connected.

The Pandora integration is very cool. I love being able to thumbs up/down songs from the unit.
    Google Music works well and depending on your rom displays the ID tags.
    The dash menu is klunky, but it's standard issue for aftermarket radios like this.
    The JVC app is junk. I was hoping it would allow for better scrolling through the usb mp3s, but all it does is mimic the basic remote functions (play, pause, skip, mute, etc.) with touch gesture control.

Did the install myself. Never installed an aftermarket before. It wasn't the hardest thing, but it wasn't the easiest either. Took me about 3+ hours, mainly just double checking stuff. If I did another one, I bet it would take half as long. The Crutchfield directions helped once I got my bearings, but they weren't the most detailed for a rookie.

Very nice unit considering the features and the price.
    I don't know about a software update, but mine does the same thing. And, I agree, this thing is an awesome purchase for the price.

Sent from my CM9 E4GT using Tapatalk 2

Are you using Google Music? I'm going to try different apps tomorrow and see if any make a difference in that regard.

and I actually did find a software update, http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/car/support/navi/r50/unit_soft_download.html
    I also have a newer JVC deck, same controls as the OP talks about. Mine does have the CD player though. I would like to know what music app ever displays ID3 Tag info. I have never had luck with it other than Pandora.

Edit: JVC deck is a KDA735BT. Love the deck, works well with BT and Pandora. Would love to get ID3 Tags to pass through, perferably from Google Music but would be interested in any music player that has worked in this situation for someone. CDMA Galaxy Nexus.

Hmmm, this is strange. Google Music shows the ID3 tags for me. I have noticed a handful of times that it does not update after a track change, but I'd say less than 10% of the time. I'm using an ICS based rom on my epic touch.

Have you tried using the JVC app? I don't use it but it might be worth a shot.

Edit: I just ordered a GSM Galaxy Nexus and will be switching over to prepaid, so I'll let you know if it works with that phone.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
    Nice find. I was just looking at a Sony Deck earlier that does the pandora control. It's a bit more expensive but also lacks a CD Player and has an OLED Screen or whatever.

I have a Sony now and it uses the same wiring harness so would be a quick install for me and I've always loved my one I had now.

The BT Streaming and Pandora Control are what i'm after though.