SGH-T889 Rooting & Wifi Tether For Newbies on JB 4.3

Search This thread

jinimini1026

Mar 12, 2014
After many tries of failure from ROM flashing, reprogramming and trying to understand the alien language to me, I finally figured out how to get wifi tether working for your galaxy note 2. There are links in this thread and make sure that you follow the instruction I have for you here as well.

*** Disclosure ***
I am not an expert or a someone who can give you an advice. Directions hereafter are what worked for me and I am only sharing how I got it worked. However, it is not a definite way to get wifi tether working for T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (SGH-T889). Please do this for US model only.

This direction is for people who have never done rooting and programming phones, and upgraded to JB 4.3 via OTA with KNOX enabled bootloader. By the end of this direction, your GN2 will be rooted on T-Mobile stock ROM with wifi tether enabled. Please be aware that this direction will void your phone's warranty by tripping KNOX counter. So do this at your own will. Also, back up your most recent ROM and personal files just in case.

So, enough disclosure.....and here it is.

(For this part of instruction, I would like to give a big thanks to mrRobinson for providing pre-rooted stock T-Mobile ROM.)
1. Download ODIN (version does not matter, but 3.07 or 3.09 should work fine)
2. Find Tmobile ROM and download JellyBean Release 4.3 (December 2013) from this link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1975560
3. Unzip downloaded ROM in your PC and run ODIN (Leave Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checked in ODIN)
4. Find and click PDA or AP in ODIN and load downloaded ROM (root66_TMO_T889UVUCMK7_2.tar.md5)
5. Turn T889 off, then put the phone to download mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power. Then plug USB cable to the phone
6. Click START to flash your phone

Once the phone reboots, your phone will be rooted. Easy so far, right?
Now the next step...

(For this part of instruction, I would like to give a big thanks to mattlowry.)
1. Visit this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2564430 and download 2 files: Version 2.1 of SWARM ROM (Look for Download(v2.1)) and WifiTethering.zip (Look for a mediafire link on Version 2.1)
2. Copy these files on your phone's SD Card
3. Turn T889 off, then enter into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power. If the recovery mode says Android System Recovery 3e on top and does not have "advanced" menu, reboot your phone and go to Play Store. Download ROM Manager by ClockworkMod. Run Rom Manager and choose Recovery Setup. Under the Recovery Setup, install or update recovery "ClockworkMod Recovery". After this install/update, turn your phone off and enter into recovery mode.
4. In the recovery mode, select "wipe data/factory reset", then select "wipe cache partition", then select "advanced", then select "wipe dalvik cache." Once you are done this far, select "Go Back", then select "install zip." Under install zip menu, select "Choose zip from /storage/sdcard1". (There will be about 15 to 20 second delay until the next menu.) Find the SWARM ROM zip file and flash the phone's ROM.
5. After flashing the phone with SWARM ROM, go back to install zip menu and find WifiTethering.zip, then flash your phone.

A bit painful, but you've done great!...but we are not done yet.
Now, do not panic if your Wifi does not work after this step. There is a fix.

(For this part of instruction, I would like to give a big thanks to dr.ketan.)
1. Visit this link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48468121&highlight=mattlowry#post48468121
2. Download "Wifi_patch_t889.tar.rar" and extract the file in your PC.
3. Run ODIN and click on PDA or AP, then load the file "Wifi_patch_t889.tar.md5".
4. Press START and wait until your phone reboot.

Now your Wifi patch is done, but your wifi won't work until you do the following.

(For this part of instruction, I would like to give a big thanks to DerTeufel1980 for Devil Kernel.)
1. Visit this link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2239453
2. Very bottom of this thread there are files for download. Download "Devil2-2.3.2-t0lte-DUAL-20140102.zip" and save it in your phone's SD card. Make sure the file name as others will get you stuck in booting. If you download wrong kernel, you have to restart the whole process from the very top of this instruction.
3. Turn your phone off and enter into recovery mode again. Select "install zip", find the "Devil2-2.3.2-t0lte-DUAL-20140102.zip" file, then flash your phone.
4. One the flash is done, reboot your phone.

By now, your phone is rooted with Devil Kernel. All functions should work fine.
Now the wifi tether...

1. Go to Play Store and search wifi tether.
2. From the list of apps, find Wifi Tether: Network Sharing by Topapploft.
3. Do not install this app and look for a link under Description for 10.1.0 version.
4. Download the app from this link and install this app (phone will ask for installation permission for unknown source app.)
5. After the installation, run the app and go to the settings.

Change Device-Profile: Choose Generic ICS/JB (wlan0)
Change Setup-Method: Choose Netd-Ndc (master)
Send Netd Max Client Cmd: checked
Send No Tether-Interface Cmd: checked
WiFi-driver reload 2: checked
MSS clamping: checked by default
Routing fix: checked by default

You are done!

On a side note, do not use wifi tether trevemod. It has same functions as the above app, but for some reason it forcefully reboots your phone and tethering do not work.
Also, do not use Wifi Tether Router as this app will cause blackout of your phone screen on some cases. I purchased this app and regret it.

One more thing, I have not tried skipping SWARM ROM flashing. So if anyone tried, please comment it for other people.

Thanks for reading this long instruction and hope your phone works as mine.

Last edited:

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle
Love the idea.

In the first bit, skip mrRobinson's rom. Start with Odin installing a custom recovery such as TWRP. Then odin the wifi patch if you are not on the Knox bootloader and don't plan on using Devil Kernel or Agni. Then pull a nandroid backup.

Complete wipe.

Install the 4.3 rom of your choice. I like Jedi Master X, wifi tether is already configured of you stick with mobile devices (tablets etc). Follow instructions on install.

If you are on another rom, go ahead and follow your instructions.

Thanks for helping the community.

Hastily spouted for your befuddlement

Reactions: jinimini1026

jinimini1026

Mar 12, 2014
Love the idea.

In the first bit, skip mrRobinson's rom. Start with Odin installing a custom recovery such as TWRP. Then odin the wifi patch if you are not on the Knox bootloader and don't plan on using Devil Kernel or Agni. Then pull a nandroid backup.

Complete wipe.

Install the 4.3 rom of your choice. I like Jedi Master X, wifi tether is already configured of you stick with mobile devices (tablets etc). Follow instructions on install.

Thank you for your input and comment.

jinimini1026

Mar 12, 2014
You shouldn't need both the WiFi patch and devil kernel for WiFi to work. Its 1 or the other. But nice thread!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

Thank you for your input.
I've tried WiFi patch first, but it did not work. So, I had to use devil kernel for both WiFi and tethering to work. I put both instruction just to make sure they work.

drdoombot

Nov 19, 2011
I can confirm that just using the patch does not give you wifi back on stock, rooted MK7. However, I much prefer the stock kernel to Devil Kernel in terms of smoothness.

Any idea on how to undo the WifiTethering.zip changes without having to redo the entire phone?

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle
I can confirm that just using the patch does not give you wifi back on stock, rooted MK7. However, I much prefer the stock kernel to Devil Kernel in terms of smoothness.

Any idea on how to undo the WifiTethering.zip changes without having to redo the entire phone?

Flash your ROM over your present install. Should paint over the tethering changes.

James62370

Feb 22, 2007
Thanks!!

First I want to thank you for this thread!! Since upgrading to Android 4.3 I have not been successful in getting wifi tethering to work. Prior to 4.3, trev-mod was working perfectly fine but after the update nothing seem to work except bluetooth tethering with Fox-Fi along with PDANet+ and many apps didn't work with that method.

Also I'd just like to add that I hardly ever tether at all... it's just nice to know when you are in a bind you have some sort of solution.

I'm currently on the 4.1.2 bootloader because I didn't want to have to deal with knox. Even though my warranty has already expired, for some reason I still do not want to upgrade to the new one. The wifi patch was giving me all sorts of freezes and random reboots so I decided to go back to the original bootloader, after reading EdKey's Conch Replubic thread. His ROM was very stable for me, however I recently acquired the Gear 2 and unfortunately not all was working correctly since it is heavily debloated. I'm currently using SWARM 2.1 with AGNI Kernel. Was using Devil before but battery drain appears to be very high with this ROM so I'm giving Agni a go for a couple of days. Since I am on the old bootloader, the only way to get wifi to work properly is either using Devil or Agni kernel unless there is another one out there that I'm unaware of at this time.

Anyway... I digress. My experience so far is this, when I initially start the tethering process, none of my devices see an access point until I stop tethering and start it again for a second time. Then I'm able to see the AndroidTether access point. I can connect and tether even without any sort of vpn or browser ID spoofer. I'd still recommend using a VPN anyway, just in case the operator starts packet sniffing. Who knows, maybe Trev Mod was working, I don't recall trying to re-enable tethering for a second time when I didn't see any access points so I just kind of gave up and stumbled across this thread :)

However, when I stop the tethering, I'm not able to reconnect to my normal home wifi until I toggle on/off the Mobile HotSpot option in the Rom. My wifi icon is enabled, but for some reason does not connect to my router until I toggle it on and then off again. This is still a better work around than having to reboot the phone each time to get my wifi to reconnect. It might have something to do with my current bootloader, but I'm not sure. I guess it will be back to the drawing board after KitKat comes out. Hopefully this will remain working for awhile...

So I just wanted to share my experience and thank you again for this thread.

Last edited:

morenito4hire

Nov 17, 2010
hotspot working on t-mobile galaxy note 2 running 4.3 Jellybean

After many tries of failure from ROM flashing, reprogramming and trying to understand the alien language to me, I finally figured out how to get wifi tether working for your galaxy note 2. There are links in this thread and make sure that you follow the instruction I have for you here as well.

*** Disclosure ***
I am not an expert or a someone who can give you an advice. Directions hereafter are what worked for me and I am only sharing how I got it worked. However, it is not a definite way to get wifi tether working for T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (SGH-T889). Please do this for US model only.

This direction is for people who have never done rooting and programming phones, and upgraded to JB 4.3 via OTA with KNOX enabled bootloader. By the end of this direction, your GN2 will be rooted on T-Mobile stock ROM with wifi tether enabled. Please be aware that this direction will void your phone's warranty by tripping KNOX counter. So do this at your own will. Also, back up your most recent ROM and personal files just in case.

thering-menu/

(For this part of instruction, I would like to give a big thanks to mrRobinson for providing pre-rooted stock T-Mobile ROM.)
2. Find Tmobile ROM and download JellyBean Release 4.3 (December 2013) from this link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1975560
3. Unzip downloaded ROM in your PC and run ODIN (Leave Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checked in ODIN)
4. Find and click PDA or AP in ODIN and load downloaded ROM (root66_TMO_T889UVUCMK7_2.tar.md5)
5. Turn T889 off, then put the phone to download mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power. Then plug USB cable to the phone

Now the next step...

1. Visit this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2564430 and download 2 files: Version 2.1 of SWARM ROM (Look for Download(v2.1)) and WifiTethering.zip (Look for a mediafire link on Version 2.1)
3. Turn T889 off, then enter into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power. If the recovery mode says Android System Recovery 3e on top and does not have "advanced" menu, reboot your phone and go to Play Store. Download ROM Manager by ClockworkMod. Run Rom Manager and choose Recovery Setup. Under the Recovery Setup, install or update recovery "ClockworkMod Recovery". After this install/update, turn your phone off and enter into recovery mode.
4. In the recovery mode, select "wipe data/factory reset", then select "wipe cache partition", then select "advanced", then select "wipe dalvik cache." Once you are done this far, select "Go Back", then select "install zip." Under install zip menu, select "Choose zip from /storage/sdcard1". (There will be about 15 to 20 second delay until the next menu.) Find the SWARM ROM zip file and flash the phone's ROM.
5. After flashing the phone with SWARM ROM, go back to install zip menu and find WifiTethering.zip, then flash your phone.

1. Visit this link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48468121&highlight=mattlowry#post48468121
3. Run ODIN and click on PDA or AP, then load the file "Wifi_patch_t889.tar.md5".

Now your Wifi patch is done, but your wifi won't work until you do the following.

(For this part of instruction, I would like to give a big thanks to DerTeufel1980 for Devil Kernel.)
2. Very bottom of this thread there are files for download. Download "Devil2-2.3.2-t0lte-DUAL-20140102.zip" and save it in your phone's SD card. Make sure the file name as others will get you stuck in booting. If you download wrong kernel, you have to restart the whole process from the very top of this instruction.
3. Turn your phone off and enter into recovery mode again. Select "install zip", find the "Devil2-2.3.2-t0lte-DUAL-20140102.zip" file, then flash your phone.

Now the wifi tether...

3. Do not install this app and look for a link under Description for 10.1.0 version.
4. Download the app from this link and install this app (phone will ask for installation permission for unknown source app.)

You are done!

On a side note, do not use wifi tether trevemod. It has same functions as the above app, but for some reason it forcefully reboots your phone and tethering do not work.
Also, do not use Wifi Tether Router as this app will cause blackout of your phone screen on some cases. I purchased this app and regret it.

One more thing, I have not tried skipping SWARM ROM flashing. So if anyone tried, please comment it for other people.

Want to get hotspot working on t-mobile SGH T-889??Follw the link below or just download (hotspot control) from google play/market and enable ACESS POINT.And you can turn hotspot from your phone's setting the normal way,without root and without downloading any other tethering apps.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...harnesses-the-latent-power-of-your-devices-te

RivMel

May 25, 2014
Help samsung galaxy note ii t889 root access

Greetings to the entire community, I'm new here and I wanted to ask for some help on this problem that I have and maybe others have too.

I have a note II t889 which I've rooted, SuperSU appears installed on the phone, when I open any application that requires root it asks me permission, I click accept and it tells me I have been granted permissions, but when I try to use the application tells me that the root has failed, or that need root access to use the application.
Note: I have already tried this several rooting using odin and corresponding files (CF-Root-Auto for note II t889, root66_TMO_T889UVUCMK7_2.tar.md5, and others, and the result is the same, according to the rooteado odin has been done successfully)
Another thing I have android 4.3 version and I already delete knox using root browser (it asked me root access to use it and it worked to remove the data relating to knox)

Thanks

cheappc

Dec 19, 2010
Found solution

Ok anybody outthere doing this it took me a couple of hours but I couldn't find Wi-Fi tether by Topapploft, no longer in the play store, thankfully I found something that worked, first go to play store and get network share & wifi tether by joliejoy, then it's going to ask you to download newest one, wifi tether plus, file name: AndroidWifiTether_10.1.10.apk, follow the instruction above, EXCEPT the device should be GALAXY S4!! It worked for me :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

*** Disclosure ***

Now the next step...

Now the wifi tether...

You are done!

Love the idea.

Complete wipe.

You shouldn't need both the WiFi patch and devil kernel for WiFi to work. Its 1 or the other. But nice thread!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4