Possible virus or malicious app

Search This thread

Jan 12, 2012
Out of the blue a few days ago I started getting intrusive pop-up ads while browsing the web. I use Chrome and Firefox.

Now, while web browsing, I get redirected to a site called downlund.com and Firefox asks how I want to proceed with the download. I always just back out.

I have avg and lookout on my phone, both of which say I am good to go.

Anyone familiar with this?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

somnambulator

Sep 21, 2010
have u installed any apps manually? is so, what? have u installed any shady ad blocker apps?

something may have taken over your hosts file. if so, it may be an easy fix, but who knows what else it's doing. might be best to do a factory reset and be done with it.

you're the first instance I've heard of having android malware, and apparently confirming why android antivirus apps are a joke.

Sent from Tapatalk using my xposed VZW G2 :)

Reactions: 0331

Jan 12, 2012
I just rooted and that took care of it. I didn't have ad blockers. The only thing out of the ordinary was 2048 game app. But it was the highest rated in the play store. Anyway. Thank you.

Jan 12, 2012
I spoke too soon. Its back. Its for an app I used to have. I uninstalled it a few days go, and just got this pop up tonight which links to the app in the play store.
vesa4a4e.jpg
duje9uhu.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1400220132705.jpg

Jan 12, 2012
Is anyone else besides my wife's S3 and my G2 getting pop up ads in the browser?

somnambulator

Sep 21, 2010
Is anyone else besides my wife's S3 and my G2 getting pop up ads in the browser?

no, and I've used that app before. Unless malware was injected into the app recently updated on the play store, it's not the culprit.

what do u mean by you rooted and took care of the virus? What did u actually do after rooting? had you previously downloaded any apps from the internet (not on the play store)?

Jan 12, 2012
It seemed to have stopped after I rooted, but I spoke too soon. I did not download anything from the internet.

But after all that I downloaded ad away from f-droid and now it s gone. Adaway said AccuWeather from the playstore was the culprit.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    have u installed any apps manually? is so, what? have u installed any shady ad blocker apps?

something may have taken over your hosts file. if so, it may be an easy fix, but who knows what else it's doing. might be best to do a factory reset and be done with it.

you're the first instance I've heard of having android malware, and apparently confirming why android antivirus apps are a joke.