boot image

Search This thread

ipipipipip

Aug 28, 2010
Can somebody explain me the proper way to build the boot image? I'm able to build a pure kernel image but i'ts now what i need to flash into boot partition.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Eh that's a bit complicated, the kindled booting is a uniqueish format. Hashcode made a custom make setup in cm's build system to put it together since it not only has a weird signature but a second bootloader added onto the beginning of it as well. Are you compiling a rom or just trying to rebuild the bootimg?

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

ipipipipip

Aug 28, 2010
Yeah, I've tried to figure out from the CM port how it's built. I've found some code here:
https://github.com/KFire-Android/android_device_amazon_jem/blob/cm-11.0/boot.mk
But I can't figure out how to attach a kernel image, ramdisk, what else.

I'm not building rom, just want to change some features in the stock kernel.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
I could attempt to throw one together for you, I think my current setup doesn't bother to check the intramfs as long as it exists in the out directory, I'd just have to replace the kernel and initramfs and attempt a build. O wait I'm in the 8.9" section, I don't have a working build of b2g going for that yet, probably wouldn't be the best idea, would probably work but Idk. You could just build cm from source and pull the bootimg out of the zip it makes. Maybe I can slap together some instructions, I kinda see in the makefile how it works but makefile scripting isn't my forte, its similar to bash but different enough i can get confused at points.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk

ipipipipip

Aug 28, 2010
Building the whole cm is a bit overhead. I don't need the complete build script but it would be great if you point out some makefiles, or places to look in the source tree, i'll try to fugure out how to use it.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX

ah sorry i have been at work most of the week and passing out once i get home (thank you low stamina). Anyways i thought i had posted something on here about where to look but it seems i didnt, look at this file: https://github.com/KFire-Android/android_device_amazon_jem/blob/cm-11.0/boot.mk#L27

That area (line27ish) should give you the hints you need.

Edit: wait this is a 8.9, wrong link, that would be a nice brick if that was used... Fixed!

most of that file makes sense, the only thing i am unfamiliar with is $@. $ usually means a variable or something else i'm trying to rember involving a program, probably storing output from a program as the variable. As to the @ symbol i have heard it means array, not very sure at all about how it works.

Last edited:
Reactions: q240627995

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

ah sorry i have been at work most of the week and passing out once i get home (thank you low stamina). Anyways i thought i had posted something on here about where to look but it seems i didnt, look at this file: https://github.com/KFire-Android/android_device_amazon_jem/blob/cm-11.0/boot.mk#L27

That area (line27ish) should give you the hints you need.

Edit: wait this is a 8.9, wrong link, that would be a nice brick if that was used... Fixed!

most of that file makes sense, the only thing i am unfamiliar with is $@. $ usually means a variable or something else i'm trying to rember involving a program, probably storing output from a program as the variable. As to the @ symbol i have heard it means array, not very sure at all about how it works.