Thinking of switching from my Nexus 5 to G2...thoughts?

Search This thread

rancur3p1c

Jan 2, 2011
Atlanta
I'm worried about lack of ROM and Custom kernel support...kernels more really, I'm a big fan of Faux123's kernels.
I want the battery life and the knockon/off/DT2W without battery drain.
I'm limited to about 4.5hr SOT on my N5.
I like the idea of 5.2" screen (vs 4.95 on N5) but like Pie controls so...I guess the larger screen isn't a huge deal.

Basically I want encouragement. Seems like a big jump.

ndybucky

Mar 18, 2014
I'm worried about lack of ROM and Custom kernel support...kernels more really, I'm a big fan of Faux123's kernels.
I like the idea of 5.2" screen (vs 4.95 on N5) but like Pie controls so...I guess the larger screen isn't a huge deal.

mahdi rom runs great:D

turdbogls

G2 supports knock on/off stock, so this has been an option on every ROM I have used (cloudy Pro, Cloudy G3, stock, CM11, mahdi) without installing another Kernel, with no noticable battery life hit.

I get 4.5hrs screen on time on my G2 pretty consistently...if I dont stream music, I can hit 6 hours...and this is on LTE all the time.

the larger screen is really nice, buttons can be hidden with Xposed if you really want that.

we have CM11, we have stock LG ROMs...all are pretty nice with minimal stability/bugs.

I made the switch about a month ago...really happy with me decision. I have been a nexus guy for a while, but I figured I would give the G2 a shot since it has the same hardware but bigger in every aspect that was important to me (screen, battery,camera)

I can't comment on kernels...i basically flashed kernels to get better battery life on the N5....its just not necessary on this phone IMO...I was getting about 3.5 hours screen on time during a typical day (17 hours off charger, streaming music at work on LTE, then home on wifi for reddit/XDA/other surfing) i am now getting 5-ish in the same usage.

Reactions: corcgaigh

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
Yea there are lots of guys that went from the N5 to G2, but I wouldn't think I would spend a few hundred bucks for a G2. Now if you can Trade your N5 for a G2, even swap, then yea I'd pick the G2.

There are some kernels running around for the G2 and plenty of roms. G2 was the first non-nexus device I've owned since the N1 and honestly I am absolutely loving Stock + Root + Xposed. The stock rom is full-featured and has lots of little tweaks that make just using the phone much more enjoyable.

rancur3p1c

Jan 2, 2011
Atlanta
G2 supports knock on/off stock, so this has been an option on every ROM I have used (cloudy Pro, Cloudy G3, stock, CM11, mahdi) without installing another Kernel, with no noticable battery life hit.

I get 4.5hrs screen on time on my G2 pretty consistently...if I dont stream music, I can hit 6 hours...and this is on LTE all the time.

the larger screen is really nice, buttons can be hidden with Xposed if you really want that.

we have CM11, we have stock LG ROMs...all are pretty nice with minimal stability/bugs.

I made the switch about a month ago...really happy with me decision. I have been a nexus guy for a while, but I figured I would give the G2 a shot since it has the same hardware but bigger in every aspect that was important to me (screen, battery,camera)

I can't comment on kernels...i basically flashed kernels to get better battery life on the N5....its just not necessary on this phone IMO...I was getting about 3.5 hours screen on time during a typical day (17 hours off charger, streaming music at work on LTE, then home on wifi for reddit/XDA/other surfing) i am now getting 5-ish in the same usage.

hm, only 3.5-5hrs...:(....that's....not what I was expecting to hear...

DrunkFuX666

Feb 19, 2011
Google Pixel XL
Google Pixel 3a XL
This is exactly the same dilemma im stuck in... should i move from the N5 to the G2, but my concerns are, which variants will run on Tmobiles LTE network. Also, is there a way to change the back plate or somthing to get wireless charging on it?

rancur3p1c

Jan 2, 2011
Atlanta
This is exactly the same dilemma im stuck in... should i move from the N5 to the G2, but my concerns are, which variants will run on Tmobiles LTE network. Also, is there a way to change the back plate or somthing to get wireless charging on it?

I've investigated it heavily.
Don't get international lacks LTE bands that you need to buy the AT&T or T-Mobile version is going to work best for your phone needs to be compatible with LTE band 2, 4, 17 ways to explain these are the sources for what I found is the best way to ensure compatibility:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_G2#Model_variants
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Mobile_US#Radio_frequency_spectrum_chart

I too want the Wireless Charging station I just bought for my Nexus 5 charges at 1A and seems to be fast enough that I'm going to try "opportunisticly charging" as Brian Klug and Anand called it and just deal with the cooked battery in 2 years I'll buy another one that will run only $10 anyways it doesn't really make sense to worry about nuking it is cheap to replace.

So that means just leave it on Qi wireless charger at PC all the time and use MightyText for texting and you could run an FTP server if you want on the phone for nabbing files is easy enough and might be good enough for me and even for your having 100% any time you leave your workstation/home setup is nice try to help you find a solution.

But I like the community here feels cozy.

it's a fun puzzle to solve how to write this way is more exciting for thank you for reading as it is for me

Last edited:
Reactions: DrunkFuX666

timlad

Apr 30, 2014
Don't get international lacks LTE bands that you need to buy the AT&T or T-Mobile version is going to work best for your phone needs to be compatible with LTE band 2, 4, 17 ways to explain these are the sources for what I found is the best way to ensure compatibility:

I too want the Wireless Charging station I just bought for my Nexus 5 charges at 1A and seems to be fast enough that I'm going to try "opportunisticly charging" as Brian Klug and Anand called it and just deal with the cooked battery in 2 years I'll buy another one that will run only $10 anyways it doesn't really make sense to worry about nuking it is cheap to replace.

So that means just leave it on Qi wireless charger at PC all the time and use MightyText for texting and you could run an FTP server if you want on the phone for nabbing files is easy enough and might be good enough for me and even for your having 100% any time you leave your workstation/home setup is nice try to help you find a solution.

it's a fun puzzle to solve how to write this way is more exciting for thank you for reading as it is for me

Interesting info thanks, on a side note reading that page on my D802 i will not get LTE when i`m in the USA well maybe sprint on 800

BTW i skipped the N5 and went frm N4 to LGG2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.