Unified Storage is Officially Coming

Search This thread

anwedr

Oct 19, 2012
Since it is uncertain when Color OS 2.0 stable will be finalized, I may jump on the beta wagon and try it out.
I am running out of storage space for my apps and I only have 1 game installed.

farenteria

May 13, 2013
Yeah, it's a shame to have powerful hardware, but not really be able to use it much due to the storage limitation

jleslie97

Oct 20, 2014
Since it is uncertain when Color OS 2.0 stable will be finalized, I may jump on the beta wagon and try it out.
I am running out of storage space for my apps and I only have 1 game installed.

But u could just move your apps and games to the 22gb phone storage partion?
I did this and have 2 pages worth of games in a folder including mc5, mc4, nfs most wanted, gangstar vegas, asphalt 8, nova 3 and dead trigger 1 & 2. I've even got offline gps maps and lots of arcade games in the games folder

ganeshbiyer

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 16, 2011
Bangalore
I did this and have 2 pages worth of games in a folder including mc5, mc4, nfs most wanted, gangstar vegas, asphalt 8, nova 3 and dead trigger 1 & 2. I've even got offline gps maps and lots of arcade games in the games folder

The color OS 2.0.2i beta only Supports Unified Storage, you will still have to use coolbird's partition tool to actually get it.
Read it here.

Last edited:

jleslie97

Oct 20, 2014
I was just talking about stable color os in general. I didn't realise you needed unified storage to get it. But i have been using stable jelly bean and you could move apps to phone storage as a default action. And it it's urge sane for the new kitkat update that they just brought out via manual update so i dont know why you'd want an unstable jelly bean color os Rom? The kitkat update brings alot of improvements overall as well. Although the launcher no longer comes with an app drawer. This didn't bother me as i use nova Anyway :)

ganeshbiyer

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 16, 2011
Bangalore
I was just talking about stable color os in general. I didn't realise you needed unified storage to get it. But i have been using stable jelly bean and you could move apps to phone storage as a default action. And it it's urge sane for the new kitkat update that they just brought out via manual update so i dont know why you'd want an unstable jelly bean color os Rom? The kitkat update brings alot of improvements overall as well. Although the launcher no longer comes with an app drawer. This didn't bother me as i use nova Anyway :)

Same for me too. I am happy with the way it is now, so long as updates and improvement keep coming. I am happy with the current launcher too.

madstunt

Jan 13, 2010
Szeged
The next COS beta will include the LVM method for unified storage
Not only the space is the issue, but that the play store is kinda buggy with this app partition way of things and it is frequently saying that you have insufficient storage available, even if you do have multiple times the space the app would need
Me too wanna use the unified on my find7, it would be a lot more easier to handle

psrunknown

Jul 10, 2013

I did exactly the same thing. But everytime i restart my phone (due to BSOD mostly) all the shortcut on desktop would disappear. Not sure if im the only one.

Oppo Find 7 - CM141108

Regards, Zac.

Crossvxm

May 26, 2013
New York
Can someone please explain this "Unified storage" thing to me? I dont really understand whats the case with the storage, but I can tell it is a problem to many since there is a partition fix flying around the development threads. I just got this phone second hand about a week ago and I am still discovering the way it works.

It came on ColorOS 2.0.0i based on 4.4.2, and I'm not even sure if its official.
I have however noticed some bugs with the UI and some random and fluctuating battery drains when it feels like it, although rare and my activities haven't changed much in terms of use.

Performancewise, well it gets the job done and seems to really rock the benchmarks I throw at it, and I do see this in real time when playing Beach Buggy Racing at maximum graphics, as well as Modern Combat 5, which weren't all that smooth on my S5.

Anyways, my main concern is a thorough explanation on the current storage issue, and why its getting a "unified storage" fix included in the future.

farenteria

May 13, 2013
The Oppo Find 7 was released with a weird storage layout. You can only use 3 GB for apps, and the rest of the storage is used for user data (pictures, movies, and such). The original fix was to use a method that messed with the partitions to make the partitions work as intended. That method is dangerous.
Nowadays, the preferred way is LVM. This is the case with the latest beta. Not dangerous, and it can be done within the rom

Reactions: Crossvxm

Crossvxm

May 26, 2013
New York
The Oppo Find 7 was released with a weird storage layout. You can only use 3 GB for apps, and the rest of the storage is used for user data (pictures, movies, and such). The original fix was to use a method that messed with the partitions to make the partitions work as intended. That method is dangerous.
Nowadays, the preferred way is LVM. This is the case with the latest beta. Not dangerous, and it can be done within the rom

Thank you. I never noticed that since I haven't surpassed 3GB worth of app data. Well, that depends if the application package is what counts towards the 3GB and the seperate data (e.g. what is found in the obb folder) is still considered as our own user space memory as per traditional partition layout.

Why make the partition like that in the first place when we have an SD card slot?
Hopefully I don't reach the limit as I don't want to have to try the mod.

farenteria

May 13, 2013
I have no idea why Oppo did it in the first place, but the Find 7 isn't the first smartphone from the company to have that limit. I always thought that unified layout was the norm since Honeycomb, but I guess not

Crossvxm

May 26, 2013
New York
I have no idea why Oppo did it in the first place, but the Find 7 isn't the first smartphone from the company to have that limit. I always thought that unified layout was the norm since Honeycomb, but I guess not

Ive come across my share of weird phone storage issues, like the Samsung Epic 4G which by default comes BML and many roms used the modified old school MTD partition map. Then there was the LG Optimus G, which when flashing a custom non stock based rom tends to hide all of your storage contents in the data/media folder. I could keep on, but the list would not end.

Now I can't remember which of my previous phones had this same issue, and it was annoying and confusing in the beginning...

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Thank you. I never noticed that since I haven't surpassed 3GB worth of app data. Well, that depends if the application package is what counts towards the 3GB and the seperate data (e.g. what is found in the obb folder) is still considered as our own user space memory as per traditional partition layout.

Why make the partition like that in the first place when we have an SD card slot?
It's basically that Oppo was one of the last companies to move away from the "legacy" layout.

Google started using emulated storage with Honeycomb, but it wasn't until maybe a year after ICS that most phones moved to the "new" method. Xperia T (late 2012) was one of the last ones I remember like that.

I think that it's partly due to the fact that Windows XP is still dominant in China - Its MTP support is poor, and Chinese users apparently prefer UMS. I remember at one point (around the time the N1 was released) that someone from Oppo was asked why they used the "old" partition method and their response was "user preference". While that might make no sense to a Western user, it makes sense when your home market is China. Chinese tastes are very different from Western tastes. Of course with the Find7, Oppo kind of screwed up by using ext4 for the internal SD partition, rendering it useless for UMS + WinXP.

Reactions: Crossvxm

Crossvxm

May 26, 2013
New York
It's basically that Oppo was one of the last companies to move away from the "legacy" layout.

Google started using emulated storage with Honeycomb, but it wasn't until maybe a year after ICS that most phones moved to the "new" method. Xperia T (late 2012) was one of the last ones I remember like that.

I think that it's partly due to the fact that Windows XP is still dominant in China - Its MTP support is poor, and Chinese users apparently prefer UMS. I remember at one point (around the time the N1 was released) that someone from Oppo was asked why they used the "old" partition method and their response was "user preference". While that might make no sense to a Western user, it makes sense when your home market is China. Chinese tastes are very different from Western tastes. Of course with the Find7, Oppo kind of screwed up by using ext4 for the internal SD partition, rendering it useless for UMS + WinXP.

It makes sense. In terms of the Xiaomi Mi3W and this one including a theme store which themes beyond just the app icons, you can tell it is something designated for a non US area. Here in the US, it's mainly about high end and so on. Most of the Chinese do not complain if they're device is falling behind the rest when their phone has a Snapdragon 800 meanwhile every other phone getting the 801. As far as storage, I don't see why they would keep the outdated way as a preference when the phone includes a Micro SD card option and so on, and you get more versatility when the storage is combined as all current phones have.

Cancelled after reading other posts !

---------- Post added at 03:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 AM ----------

A vigorous masturbation would make it come a lot quicker.

Seriously, you can't wait for OPPO to deliver - while everyone else is getting lollipop, we still have no OTA kitcat!

OTA Kitkat is to come next monday 26.01.15 !

Google to : Find 7/7a ColorOS V2.0.5i Beta | OPPO Forums

About Lollipop, after so many complains, it seems to me urgent to wait !

Except for geeks who like to struggle with beta, it's better to wait Lollipop better version.

The only 5 feature I really miss is the recovered ability for apps to write to SD card.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://www.oppoforums.com/index.php?threads/20094/

I'm quite excited for this, even though Oppo is still lagging with Jelly Bean