Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

RubenRybnik

Jan 6, 2012
Cary, NC
What is it:

This is a quick extension I coded up to turn XDA threads into an image gallery. The extension button will enable when you're on a topic that it is able to translate, clicking it will open a new tab that dynamically fetches images as your scroll down. Keep in mind this is an Alpha, did it in one day, so it may ( read "most likely" ) will have problems. Its great on those "Post your screenshots" ( wallpapers, cases, whatever ) type threads.

Permissions:

- "Access your data on xdaforums.com" - This is to fetch images from the forum, I haven't messed around with removing it since I was just using this personally but decided to release to you. Promise I don't care, nor gather, anything about what you do on XDA. ;)
- "Access your tabs and browsing activity" - This is to detect when you switch between tabs and enable/disable the extension button. Also I do have this hooked into Google Analytics now, but I only gather extension page views to see what's being used. In the future I'll be hooking it into events as I add features( if it's popular enough ) to decide where to put my efforts. No personal information is collected.
- "Storage": Allow extension to save Extension Settings.

How to Install:

Reporting Bugs:

If you'd like to report bugs then please give me the thread you had an issue with, and if you can narrow it down to an image then link to the post containing that image ( if it's working, there is a link under each image to bring you to the post. ).

What's Next:

• Currently the extension will start showing images from the forum page you launched it from. Going to implement a way to jump to the beginning or specific page.
  • Implement scrolling upwards to load the previous pages images, this is needed for the next item.
  • Lots more ideas for "community" type features :) But gotta get the basics hammered down first!

Change Log:

3/15/2013
  • Added an "Advanced" options section allowing you to override the number of images and fetch all of them. ( If it doesn't work correctly on some thread blame mon5trum, he requested it ;) )
  • Some bug fixes

3/9/2013
  • Now when viewing images in the popup you can click to view prev and next, or just use the arrow keys to navigate!
  • New Extension Settings page, styled to blend in and match chromes style for settings.
  • Setting to adjust the minimum number of images to fetch( Careful here as it wont render any images until it finds at least this number, could take awhile if you try and use on a thread that doesn't have many images ).
  • Setting to turn on debug mode ( Will show logging in the Chrome console. NOTE: I'd leave this disabled unless you need to troubleshoot an issue as it could slow down logic a bit )

3/7/2013
  • Lots of fixes and enhancements in this one.
  • First off, thanks to Pooley! He is an awesome guy, and very talented. Thanks to him with have a great, professional looking icon!
  • Aspect ratio is now respected
  • Added image zoom capability
  • Now identify images with broken links and shows in small window( as to not break scrolling functionality for now )
  • Images should also layout nicely in a column format
  • Fixed quite a few bugs( hopefully without creating new ones )
  • Hmmm... seems like there should be more, but I'm too lazy to look at my commit log, so just check it out :)

3/2/2013
  • NEW: Now on the official Chrome Web Store
  • Starting to work on the look a bit, its still pretty ugly lol... What can I say, graphic design isn't my thing, but it'll get better ;)

1/27/2013
  • Pretty much a complete rewrite
  • Fixed loading duplicate issues
  • Better error handling( Will tell you when it's reached the end of the thread )
  • Asynchronous loading should now be working correctly

Do you find this useful? Click the Thanks button to send me some encouragement... Or if you're feeling really generous buy me a redbull to keep me going at the keyboard :) ( If not, no worries, it's hardly expected :) )

Last edited:

Deadly

Jul 19, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 5
Thanks great idea.. For me attached thumbnails never used to show from a month or so.. thats y i felt relieved when i saw your thread here..

but, unfortunately.. its not showing anything to me yet.. when it opens in new tab.. all it shows is these.. on all threads page which has images .. same result for me yet..

as its still first build/alpha.. i know it will get fixed when you get time.. so, waiting for that.. thanks for this nice initiative..
11546366.png

Last edited:

RubenRybnik

Jan 6, 2012
Cary, NC
Thanks great idea.. For me attached thumbnails never used to show from a month or so.. thats y i felt relieved when i saw your thread here..

but, unfortunately.. its not showing anything to me yet.. when it opens in new tab.. all it shows is these.. on all threads page which has images .. same result for me yet..

as its still first build/alpha.. i know it will get fixed when you get time.. so, waiting for that.. thanks for this nice initiative..
11546366.png

Like I stated in the OP, it's really hard for me to help you unless you give me the forum topic URL that you tried to open with the extension. Get me that and I can take a look at what's going on.

Deadly

Jul 19, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 5
Like I stated in the OP, it's really hard for me to help you unless you give me the forum topic URL that you tried to open with the extension. Get me that and I can take a look at what's going on.

I got it man.. it didn't work with any off topic section threads...

Does it by any chance only supposed to work with windows chrome version?

I use Ubuntu 11.10 with latest chrome version...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
★Nothing is True.. Everything is Permitted©★
Have you seen a Muffin..?;)

Last edited:

RubenRybnik

Jan 6, 2012
Cary, NC
Been awhile since I updated this, but did a complete rewrite of the extension, should now be working much better. Replaced attachment with new extension and added changelog in the OP.

Alex_R3CONN3R

Dec 15, 2012
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Awesome !

Definetly Cool! :)
The first thing you should fix is to show the pictures in the correct ratio cause at the moment it looks like this:
Zwischenablage01.jpg
Hope I voted correct in the poll :D

Greets Alex

roofrider

Jul 24, 2011
Bangalore, IN
Thanks RubenRybnik, it's awesome!
The OT Images thread just got even more awesome, thanks to you. :good: Looking forward to the updates.

JohnnyEpic

Apr 3, 2011
This is great! Thanks dev! Pretty awesome idea. Hope the Android Chrome gets to ability (support for extensions) to use this one day..

Sent from the Mars Rover.

pooley:)

Aug 4, 2010
Orléans
OnePlus 3
OnePlus 5T
Ok here is the icon. first attempt. zip contains psd + png (512, 38, 19).
Will try another way as I don't see clearly the pic on 19x19 res. But it's a first try, tell me more about color, about shapes what do you eventually like to see in the icon.

FYI no active/inactive as the inactive will be the greyscaled version of the active one ;)

Attachments

• xda_pic_viewer.zip
    477.2 KB · Views: 7

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What is it:

This is a quick extension I coded up to turn XDA threads into an image gallery. The extension button will enable when you're on a topic that it is able to translate, clicking it will open a new tab that dynamically fetches images as your scroll down. Keep in mind this is an Alpha, did it in one day, so it may ( read "most likely" ) will have problems. Its great on those "Post your screenshots" ( wallpapers, cases, whatever ) type threads.

Permissions:

- "Access your data on xdaforums.com" - This is to fetch images from the forum, I haven't messed around with removing it since I was just using this personally but decided to release to you. Promise I don't care, nor gather, anything about what you do on XDA. ;)
    - "Access your tabs and browsing activity" - This is to detect when you switch between tabs and enable/disable the extension button. Also I do have this hooked into Google Analytics now, but I only gather extension page views to see what's being used. In the future I'll be hooking it into events as I add features( if it's popular enough ) to decide where to put my efforts. No personal information is collected.
    - "Storage": Allow extension to save Extension Settings.

How to Install:

Reporting Bugs:

If you'd like to report bugs then please give me the thread you had an issue with, and if you can narrow it down to an image then link to the post containing that image ( if it's working, there is a link under each image to bring you to the post. ).

What's Next:

• Currently the extension will start showing images from the forum page you launched it from. Going to implement a way to jump to the beginning or specific page.
    • Implement scrolling upwards to load the previous pages images, this is needed for the next item.
    • Lots more ideas for "community" type features :) But gotta get the basics hammered down first!

Change Log:

3/15/2013
    • Added an "Advanced" options section allowing you to override the number of images and fetch all of them. ( If it doesn't work correctly on some thread blame mon5trum, he requested it ;) )
    • Some bug fixes

3/9/2013
    • Now when viewing images in the popup you can click to view prev and next, or just use the arrow keys to navigate!
    • New Extension Settings page, styled to blend in and match chromes style for settings.
    • Setting to adjust the minimum number of images to fetch( Careful here as it wont render any images until it finds at least this number, could take awhile if you try and use on a thread that doesn't have many images ).
    • Setting to turn on debug mode ( Will show logging in the Chrome console. NOTE: I'd leave this disabled unless you need to troubleshoot an issue as it could slow down logic a bit )

3/7/2013
    • Lots of fixes and enhancements in this one.
    • First off, thanks to Pooley! He is an awesome guy, and very talented. Thanks to him with have a great, professional looking icon!
    • Aspect ratio is now respected
    • Added image zoom capability
    • Now identify images with broken links and shows in small window( as to not break scrolling functionality for now )
    • Images should also layout nicely in a column format
    • Fixed quite a few bugs( hopefully without creating new ones )
    • Hmmm... seems like there should be more, but I'm too lazy to look at my commit log, so just check it out :)

3/2/2013
    • NEW: Now on the official Chrome Web Store
    • Starting to work on the look a bit, its still pretty ugly lol... What can I say, graphic design isn't my thing, but it'll get better ;)

1/27/2013
    • Pretty much a complete rewrite
    • Fixed loading duplicate issues
    • Better error handling( Will tell you when it's reached the end of the thread )
    • Asynchronous loading should now be working correctly

Do you find this useful? Click the Thanks button to send me some encouragement... Or if you're feeling really generous buy me a redbull to keep me going at the keyboard :) ( If not, no worries, it's hardly expected :) )
    OK second try :)

I like this one (minimalist and easely recognizable even in 19x19) what do you think ?
    Also attach a zip with psd + png (512, 38, 19) ON/OFF mode
    Now in the official Chrome Web Store Click here to install
    Thanks mate, that was quick. This could be harsh but that's how it is i guess, there might not be many takers for this extension unfortunately, with many using the app and stuff..just like the xda toolbar chrome extension by Archer. Hope i'm wrong though.

No worries my friend... I made it mostly for myself and to learn some of the Chrome Extension design patterns so if even a couple people get use out of it that's good enough for me. Started thinking about releasing it as an Android app as well, so we'll see how that goes ;)
    Hey all... Sorry for being MIA for awhile, work has been beyond crazy, but I'm starting to get back to this. I've been re-coding the extension from scratch, the idea being to make it a lot more generic and, hopefully, improve performance. I've implemented most of the same logic still have to do the options page stuff and some re-styling but now its pretty easy to enable the extension on any other forum I, or you, want. Currently this is just XDA, JeepForum.com and the Anandtech forums. Going to keep it to those three, maybe one or two more while I finish it all up and put it through a couple days of testing. Hopefully a release soon(ish) depending on 'real life' stuff.

alliktaavo I'll look into the problems you listed, thanks for taking the time to be so detailed.

pooley I'll add the new 404 images you made as well :)

EDIT: On yea... anyone have any good suggestions for a name, XDA Gallery doesn't really fit now, since it works for several forums, and many more to come. "Forum Gallery" is descriptive but a little boring ;)