AOSP

Search This thread

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
I know some people have asked about porting AOSP to the Fire TV. It's probably still a long way off, but I have managed to get it to start booting and have the boot animation display. Some stuff crashes early on, and then later in the boot, other things crash because that first thing is missing. And then it just constantly bootloops... but it's a start.

Attachments

• FireTV-AOSP-bootanim.jpg
    FireTV-AOSP-bootanim.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 871

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
Spectacular!

My main goal is to get a full-fledged modern Linux OS with access to running my Android apps inside a window while having real-time access to Linux and all of its programs.

krasny2k5

Feb 24, 2011
Thanks rbox! You're awesome! That's exactly what i wanna in my box.

I think that you can enable the "donante" in your profile, i would like to donate to reward your wonderful work!

Nov 5, 2010
I too would like to donate.. As well as test.. Willing to capture and submit log files. How are you booting this ROM? Unlocked boot loader on the way?

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
I too would like to donate.. As well as test.. Willing to capture and submit log files. How are you booting this ROM? Unlocked boot loader on the way?

I enabled the paypal donate in my profile but it seemed a little tacky to me to have it on all my posts. So here is a donate link.

As for how I'm booting this, right now very haphazardly. In the end it will require an unlocked bootloader but jcase is the one that has to provide that. Technically, it does work with the stock kernel and I am playing around with some ideas for booting into recovery with the locked bootloader. But hopefully jcase will be able to provide the unlock soon.

Luxferro

Nov 19, 2009
Long Island, NY
In the end it will require an unlocked bootloader but jcase is the one that has to provide that. Technically, it does work with the stock kernel and I am playing around with some ideas for booting into recovery with the locked bootloader. But hopefully jcase will be able to provide the unlock soon.

IMO, it seems like jcase has no interest in releasing it. He's already said he doesn't care about the community. Just does what he does for the challenge, and I guess publicity. I could go on with more to support my theory, but don't want to come across a complainer, as no one owes us anything.

Reactions: imtiajmeah
Nov 5, 2010
Agreed, no one owes us anything.. That said.. Jcase wherever you are.. I would like to send you 25$ (US) too. I do not ask for support.. Just the means.. The knowledge. Thanks again everyone.

nhumber

Apr 26, 2014
Sarnia
Agreed, no one owes us anything.. That said.. Jcase wherever you are.. I would like to send you 25$ (US) too. I do not ask for support.. Just the means.. The knowledge. Thanks again everyone.

he also seems to be a man of few words, so its possible hes still waiting on amazon to fix the security vulnerability before he releases it, thats the last thing he said here before he went silent, either way tho, good job RBOX, and everyone else helping.

alwaysbless

Nov 24, 2012
San Diego
IMO, it seems like jcase has no interest in releasing it. He's already said he doesn't care about the community. Just does what he does for the challenge, and I guess publicity. I could go on with more to support my theory, but don't want to come across a complainer, as no one owes us anything.

Very, very true. E-publicty ruined that guy. Its awesome to see someone still working on this box though, gj Rbox hopefully your work will lead to greater things in the future.

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Are you booting from a USB stick?

I'm actually booting it off my network right now with NFS and loop mounts. I suppose I could use a similar method to boot it from USB. I'm thinking about creating a system based on 2nd-init which some phones with locked bootloader use. Hopefully the unlock will be released before I have to do that though.

Reactions: superkoal

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
I'm actually booting it off my network right now with NFS and loop mounts. I suppose I could use a similar method to boot it from USB. I'm thinking about creating a system based on 2nd-init which some phones with locked bootloader use. Hopefully the unlock will be released before I have to do that though.

Good luck. A rescue stick for the aftv would be mighty handy.

Fgarcor

Feb 3, 2011
FireTV + AndroidTV

I know it is a basic question, but theoretically if you get the 2nd Init working, we could port an AndroidTV ROM into the FireTV and use it as such, right?
At the end the remote control has also the Voice functionality.
Just wondering or am I missing something?

Last edited:

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
I know it is a basic question, but theoretically if you get the 2nd Init working, we could port an AndroidTV ROM into the FireTV and use it as such, right?

It depends on the sourceness of Android TV (probably not open source), the availability of a system dump, and the hardware compatability. I'm not sure what you are saying about the remote control... but it doesn't have "voice functionality", it has a microphone and the system software has the support for the voice.

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
Who or what exactly is responsible for the prevention of the unlocker getting released?

Wouldn't it be a middle finger to their consumers if Amazon was actually the cause of this trajedy?

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
It seems that unlock won't be released from Jcase:

https://twitter.com/TeamAndIRC/status/505926495835922434

(it's about Kindle HDX, but it's the same case as FTV).

So... Help us rbox kenobi, you're our only hope!

Seems I was finally able to get TWRP to display on the screen. Unfortunately it was only for a second and then it crashed and rebooted. But I'm making progress. Unfortunately I had some family issues to take care of this weekend so I didn't have as much time as I had hoped.

Who or what exactly is responsible for the prevention of the unlocker getting released?

Wouldn't it be a middle finger to their consumers if Amazon was actually the cause of this trajedy?

Of course Amazon is the "cause". They don't want you unlocking it, hence the reason it's locked in the first place. Unfortunately it looks like the DMCA is preventing the unlock from being released.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know some people have asked about porting AOSP to the Fire TV. It's probably still a long way off, but I have managed to get it to start booting and have the boot animation display. Some stuff crashes early on, and then later in the boot, other things crash because that first thing is missing. And then it just constantly bootloops... but it's a start.
    So it's booting all the way. I'm not sure why there is a black bar on the right side.
    In the end it will require an unlocked bootloader but jcase is the one that has to provide that. Technically, it does work with the stock kernel and I am playing around with some ideas for booting into recovery with the locked bootloader. But hopefully jcase will be able to provide the unlock soon.

Are you booting from a USB stick?

It depends on the sourceness of Android TV (probably not open source), the availability of a system dump, and the hardware compatability. I'm not sure what you are saying about the remote control... but it doesn't have "voice functionality", it has a microphone and the system software has the support for the voice.