[GUIDE] QuickBoot for CM11 M5+ ROMs

Search This thread

marcusjt

Aug 11, 2006
London, UK
There's very little written up about QuickBoot so I thought I'd pull together what I've found...

What is QuickBoot?
In essence, QuickBoot makes "Power off" behave more like "Hibernate" or "Sleep" mode in other operating systems, with the device powering down or powering up in about 1 second - watch it in action on the OnePlus

Why might I want it?
If you're running out of juice and need to save some for later with QuickBoot enabled you can shut down in a second, then boot and start using the device within seconds when you need it, without burning through all the juice that a full power down + power up cycle would have taken (plus you save all that time too).

However, there is some battery usage in QuickBoot "Power off" state (though I haven't yet tested the power usage thoroughly myself, I've seen someone report a 30% battery drain over 10hrs) so whether QuickBoot is right for you depends on how much power is left, how long you're going to keep the device off, and how quickly you need to use it when you power it on. Fortunately with QuickBoot enabled you can still force a full power down whenever you want to by pressing & holding the "Power off" menu item until a dialogue box appears then press "OK".

How do I get it & switch it on?
You'll need to be running a ROM based on CM11 M5 or better. QuickBoot isn't available for all devices yet (and may never be) so YMMV.

To see whether your CM ROM supports it and switch it on, follow these instructions intended for OnePlus owners. If QuickBoot isn't there or it's disabled then you can't switch it on, sorry. Perhaps a future release of the ROM you're using will make the feature available.

Any questions or feedback?
Ask away, report how you get on (I'm particularly interested to know how quickly the battery goes down while in QuickBoot "powered down" mode on different devices - e.g. does yours go down 30% in 10h?)

Please remember to give me a little "Thanks!" if you've found this post helpful! :)