DPI on the G3

Search This thread

ant78

Jul 13, 2008
Manchester
I personally think the DPI is to big on the stock version of G3, has anybody successfully decreased it to anything under 380dpi?

ant78

Jul 13, 2008
Manchester
You need to root and use the app Texdroid. The stock DPI is around 650ish (can't remember exactly).

Sent From My LG G3 Using Tapatalk

I've not took the step to root just yet. I used texdriod on my note 3 and its an excellent app. 650!!!!! Wow that is huge, i wonder why they went for that size?

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
I changed mine and it went fubar! my phone app/contacts app etc all showing the little green android app and when I click on them, they crash. Back to stock for me

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
Yeah stock launcher, i switched to nova but couldn't find the contacts app etc. Said half my apps were missing

Sent from my LG-D855 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
I'll have another play around in a bit. Had to drop that LG keyboard tho haha.. Fingers too fat for it. Got the Android L keyboard from the play store

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
Can't get my head round stock keyboards anymore. Last one I used was the Note 3 stock one.. Always always end up on Googles keyboard. Can't get used to the HTC one on my M8 either.

sn0warmy

Jul 26, 2010
Boulder, CO
Give 590 a try for the DPI. As I wait for my G3 to arrive I've been reading up on changing the DPI on the phone as that will be the very first thing I do after rooting. I've been reading around that people have been testing anywhere from 500-650 with mixed results but 590 seems to be the perfect sweet spot in getting everything to look the proper size without losing any functionality.

If I had my phone I'd try it. But if someone wants to go ahead and give it a go, I'd be curious to hear about the results from you guys.

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
If using stock launcher any DPI but stock 650 will cause apps to FC when opened. Plus it'll green Android some of the LG Apps like contacts, phone, camera etc. Works fine on Nova and Apex just not stock.

Sent from my G3 via Tapatalk because XDA Premium crashes non-stop....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm currently running 420 dpi. Love it. Using nova launcher and have all the LG apps running at 530dpi. All widgets and such work.
    If the clock widget being broke on the lock screen bothers you delete it and add your own from the market.

Attached is my exported xposed app settings file. You can import this to save yourself the headache. Extract and Place this xml file on the root of the internal storage and then select the import option in appsettings. Then set the system wide dpi using the app of your choice or the build.prop.

No promises but it's working for me.
    Strange issues for me...

After rooting the phone I used Root Explorer to change my DPI from 640 to 530 in the build.prop. This worked great for about 3 days with no issues at all. However, this morning I started getting a bunch of force closes all over the place from Google Hangouts, T-Mobile Visual Voicemail, Settings, and other LG apps.

I thought maybe something went wonky with other tweaks I had been doing with G3 Tweaksbox. However, after formatting the phone and starting from scratch, I went through the initial phone setup, then immediately installed Root Explorer and changed the DPI in the build prop to 530. I started getting the same app force closes right away. I formatted again, went through the same process and went to 540dpi this time. Same force closes again. 550dpi... same thing. :(

At this point I was stumped and wasn't sure what to do. So I started from scratch again and setup the phone as normal without touching the DPI. Once everything was setup to my liking I became determined to figure this out because 640dpi is just obnoxious. So I read through this thread and took others recommendations to use texdroider to change the DPI to 530. I was reluctant but decided to give it a try anyway. It worked! Everything is performing just fine. I'm not entirely sure how since textdroider is adjusting the dpi directly within the build.prop like I was in Root Explorer. But it must be working some magic because it's working.

It's been a couple of hours and all my apps are working with no force closes. Just figured I would give my feedback for others who may be experiencing the same thing and pulling their hair out. :highfive:
    Strange issues for me...

After rooting the phone I used Root Explorer to change my DPI from 640 to 530 in the build.prop. This worked great for about 3 days with no issues at all. However, this morning I started getting a bunch of force closes all over the place from Google Hangouts, T-Mobile Visual Voicemail, Settings, and other LG apps.

I thought maybe something went wonky with other tweaks I had been doing with G3 Tweaksbox. However, after formatting the phone and starting from scratch, I went through the initial phone setup, then immediately installed Root Explorer and changed the DPI in the build prop to 530. I started getting the same app force closes right away. I formatted again, went through the same process and went to 540dpi this time. Same force closes again. 550dpi... same thing. :(

At this point I was stumped and wasn't sure what to do. So I started from scratch again and setup the phone as normal without touching the DPI. Once everything was setup to my liking I became determined to figure this out because 640dpi is just obnoxious. So I read through this thread and took others recommendations to use texdroider to change the DPI to 530. I was reluctant but decided to give it a try anyway. It worked! Everything is performing just fine. I'm not entirely sure how since textdroider is adjusting the dpi directly within the build.prop like I was in Root Explorer. But it must be working some magic because it's working.

It's been a couple of hours and all my apps are working with no force closes. Just figured I would give my feedback for others who may be experiencing the same thing and pulling their hair out. :highfive:

I noticed when opening in root explorer, the files are truncated so that could be truncating the whole build.prop and erasing a lot of information that is needed that would cause errors and bootloops.

I found it best and it's a pain, but copying the file onto the computer and editing it that way and recopying it back and setting the correct permissions.
    Awesome ! Im going to do that now then. Out of interest what dpi have you got it set to now?

540 but I use the app settings xposed module to adjust it for different apps also.

Sent From My LG G3 Using Tapatalk
    I'm using 530. Perfect for me. Followed setting from G2 where I went from 480 to 400 (17% decrease)