M8 Screen polarizing

Search This thread

samsat

Apr 5, 2007
ex Johannesburg now SoCal
So I went into AT&T today with a view to getting the M8.
The M8 was along side the S5 and I though it strange that the screen on the S5 was so much brighter than the M8.
I went into the M8 settings to set the brightness to maximum but found it was already set.

As I turned the phone slightly sideways it suddenly got brighter.

I wear polarized glasses and in their wisdom HTC have made the polarizing of the display such that it is very dim when held in portrait mode.
This is not the case with my vivid or any other HTC phone I have owned.

Damn, I was so looking forward to getting the M8 but this of all things would be a deal breaker for me.

Reactions: aiwapro

bdpyo

Dec 3, 2010
Philadelphia
The M8 was along side the S5 and I though it strange that the screen on the S5 was so much brighter than the M8.
I went into the M8 settings to set the brightness to maximum but found it was already set.

I wear polarized glasses and in their wisdom HTC have made the polarizing of the display such that it is very dim when held in portrait mode.

Damn, I was so looking forward to getting the M8 but this of all things would be a deal breaker for me.

It's not that great out doors either

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app

TheEmpyre

Sep 23, 2012
Hah, wow very interesting they did indeed polarize the display. Just went and tested myself. Being in Seattle doesn't lend itself to wearing sunglasses often but sure enough rotating the phone to landscape changes the effect.

Oh and outdoor usage isn't bad Imo just take off automatic brightness and Max it out and you're good. Automatic brightness on every Android phone I have owned has been nothing short of garbage lol. So manual adjustment is the way to go. Sorry you decided against the M8 it's a hell of a phone (coming from someone who switched from the S4)

Sent from my HTC One_M8

samsat

Apr 5, 2007
Hah, wow very interesting they did indeed polarize the display. Just went and tested myself. Being in Seattle doesn't lend itself to wearing sunglasses often but sure enough rotating the phone to landscape changes the effect.

Oh and outdoor usage isn't bad Imo just take off automatic brightness and Max it out and you're good. Automatic brightness on every Android phone I have owned has been nothing short of garbage lol. So manual adjustment is the way to go. Sorry you decided against the M8 it's a hell of a phone (coming from someone who switched from the S4)

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Yes, it's a great pity. I have owned HTC devices for the last 7 or 8 years at least.

I have +2 magnifiers built into the bottom my sun glasses that I use everyday for driving and very often when I am out fly fishing.
I just happened to dash into the store this morning wearing them instead of my readers.
I would have been really unhappy if I only discovered this post purchase.

Moose3

Jan 18, 2014
There might be two manufacturers for the screen? I've seen a few threads like this now.
I have no issues with any of my polarized sunglasses. Two are Maui Jim and one pair of Raybans.

Vcolassi

Feb 1, 2012
Whitehall
I used my M8 today in the bright sun. I had no trouble seeing the screen at all. I don't wear glasses and have perfect vision though :eek:. It's much better than the AMOLED was on my Note 2.

samsat

Apr 5, 2007
There might be two manufacturers for the screen? I've seen a few threads like this now.
I have no issues with any of my polarized sunglasses. Two are Maui Jim and one pair of Raybans.

Interesting. I think the other threads have been to do with color saturation/contrast issue variance between batches of M8's.

I think what we are dealing with here is not the display itself but the protective glass over it or a laminate which may have been applied to it.
My Vivid does not suffer from this problem at all. It would be interesting to get HTC's comment on this.

c5satellite2

Mar 2, 2012
Try different sunglasses. 3 different types of polarization mostly. Horizontal, vertical, and circular. Let's say the screen is horizontally polarized and the glasses are vertical, that would yield a very dim screen. Just try turning your glasses 90° and see if that works. Instead of blaming the phone, blame your glasses, or both:D

Reactions: txtech89

samsat

Apr 5, 2007
Same prescription sun glasses work fine with all my other HTC's, Iphones, Samsung and others.
They don't work fine with the M8. What conclusion would you draw?

I was just in touch with HTC "technical" support to see if there could maybe be an issue with some screens and not with others.
I cut and paste my OP for them to read. This was their response:-

"The brightness on the phone by default is set to Auto-Brightness, which actually adjusts the brightness based on the lighting in the area at the time. Depending on where you are and how much light, the screen will be dimmer or brighter."

I had already explained that the brightness was set to max and not auto, and asked if he understood how polarizing works:-

"I'm sorry, but all I can say is that the screen is designed so that it can be viewed from nearly any angle. As such, the screen very thin against the body of the phone. Which could interfere with the polarization effect."

"I'm sorry? the M8 is available in different colors. But the screen is always the same"

samsat

Apr 5, 2007
Today I popped into and looked M8's at both Best Buy and AT&T.
Neither had the polarizing issue that has been reported by others here and elsewhere on the web.

I took more time to compare the M8 and S5 side by side. The S5 does appear to have more usable screen space and it also has a few other things going for it. However the cover over the charging port will drive me around the bend specially having to access it every day. It is not easy to open at all unless you have long nails. Wireless charging would not work for me as I will put the phone in a rugged protective case.

So, I guess it's the M8 for me and a continued loyal HTC owner!

ronii1123

Jun 30, 2010
Massachusetts and stuff
Today I popped into and looked M8's at both Best Buy and AT&T.
Neither had the polarizing issue that has been reported by others here and elsewhere on the web.

I took more time to compare the M8 and S5 side by side. The S5 does appear to have more usable screen space and it also has a few other things going for it. However the cover over the charging port will drive me around the bend specially having to access it every day. It is not easy to open at all unless you have long nails. Wireless charging would not work for me as I will put the phone in a rugged protective case.

So, I guess it's the M8 for me and a continued loyal HTC owner!

My phone doesn't polarize either, with out without sun glasses, if that is what the OP meant. It might have been an issue with the in store unit? Wouldn't be the first time I've seen issues with in store phones.

greenman13

Apr 15, 2013
Just got 2 M8s from T-mobile last week. Mine has the polarizing issue and my wifes does not.

As far as the color issue in other threads they both seem to be on the cooler side as they look identical without polarizing sunglasses on.

My guess is they have two versions of screen filters, one vertical and maybe one circular. I think most phones are circular these days since they do not affect sunglasses which I believe are mostly if now all linear polarized. I have a circular polarizer for my camera lens i will play with tonight to see what I can come up with.

Probably going to try and exchange this phone in store to get one that I can see while I have glasses on. It makes navigation useless with this issue.

P05TMAN

Aug 15, 2011
Boulder, CO

M7 was the same way.

Solution: Don't hold your phone in landscape when wearing your polarized sunglasses. Easy enough fix for me.

stantudor

Aug 11, 2008
Same prescription sun glasses work fine with all my other HTC's, Iphones, Samsung and others.
They don't work fine with the M8. What conclusion would you draw?

I was just in touch with HTC "technical" support to see if there could maybe be an issue with some screens and not with others.
I cut and paste my OP for them to read. This was their response:-

"I'm sorry? the M8 is available in different colors. But the screen is always the same"
I wouldn't be so sure, check this out :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0osrpESuFkQ

rkennison

Mar 9, 2012
Woodstock
Slap any descent screen protector on it ( not sure about the glass ones, but the normal ones from SPIGEN I know work ) and it will correct it. Had the same issue when I mounted my N7 in my car in landscape mode, could not see it when i had my glasses on. Slap on the screen protector and it was clear as day.

Just tested my M8 by laying a second protector still in the package for an S4 over it, and tada.. i can see it again with glasses :)

johnnyutah22

Jul 17, 2011
Tennessee
Slap any descent screen protector on it ( not sure about the glass ones, but the normal ones from SPIGEN I know work ) and it will correct it. Had the same issue when I mounted my N7 in my car in landscape mode, could not see it when i had my glasses on. Slap on the screen protector and it was clear as day.

Just tested my M8 by laying a second protector still in the package for an S4 over it, and tada.. i can see it again with glasses :)

Can you specify which spiegen protector you're referring to, there are several on amazon and this issue is driving me nuts.

rkennison

Mar 9, 2012
Woodstock
Try these. I had an extra s4 one, it was in the blue package. I would imagine any descent one would work though. For those not seeing the issue, make sure your glasses are polarized. If you don't see it, turn the phone 90 degrees and it will show. Happens to Any device. All glasses, that are polarized, are polarized horizontally to avoid reflection glare. IPads all do the same etc etc etc.... Google polarization and how it works for why.... I'll let the experts describe it

http://www.spigen.com/brands/htc/all-new-htc-one-m8-screen-protector-steinheil.html

Reactions: johnnyutah22

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
For those not seeing the issue, make sure your glasses are polarized. If you don't see it, turn the phone 90 degrees and it will show. Happens to Any device.

Only LCD devices. Far as I know, AMOLED devices do not display any change due to polarized glasses. Polarizing filters are used in LCD screens, its a requirement of how they fundamentally work. AMOLED screens don't require/use such filters.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Try different sunglasses. 3 different types of polarization mostly. Horizontal, vertical, and circular. Let's say the screen is horizontally polarized and the glasses are vertical, that would yield a very dim screen. Just try turning your glasses 90° and see if that works. Instead of blaming the phone, blame your glasses, or both:D

Try these. I had an extra s4 one, it was in the blue package. I would imagine any descent one would work though. For those not seeing the issue, make sure your glasses are polarized. If you don't see it, turn the phone 90 degrees and it will show. Happens to Any device. All glasses, that are polarized, are polarized horizontally to avoid reflection glare. IPads all do the same etc etc etc.... Google polarization and how it works for why.... I'll let the experts describe it

http://www.spigen.com/brands/htc/all-new-htc-one-m8-screen-protector-steinheil.html
    Thanks to rkennison I can confirm the following protector will solve the issue: Spigen® HTC One M8 Screen Protector Clear Steinheil [Ultra Crystal]... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IF5B18M/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_ihbBtb10WGCSZ

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
    It works. Its great on my road bike and my HT trail bike. On my FS downhill bike, when riding hills... Its come loose, but what wouldn't in that condition.