[GUIDE] How to Get Free Wifi Tether on Droid Bionic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

doihaveto

Mar 29, 2008
ok got it

so radiocomm is useless with droid bionic then that is fine so now we just have to figure out how much we can get by with all this just using the settings.db changes.

I am assuming that verizon can tell we are using tethering despite us not being redirected to their page or can they or will we everknow before we start either getting big bills or auto signed up for tethering.

just how far does the changes to the settings.db file go in making us undetectable or does it merely let us tether but not do anything to hide that we are tethering.

thanks

rafarataneneces

Sep 24, 2007
What is the penalty if they do discover that you are using Wireless Tethering illegally?

I guess worst case scenario they make you pay the stupid $20

Anybody with experience in that?

idefiler6

May 16, 2011
CT
This is exactly why you need to have very clear warnings about using RadioComm to do anything with your phone. Users like this person will blindly think it is safe to do these things and without very concise and well informed instructions, or even despite them, you can really mess your phone up or even destroy it very easily in RadioComm.

To try to help this person, from your description there is no reason why simply restarting the device from RadioComm would do anything at all unless you changed something else or hit any other buttons in the GUI before restarting.

Please edit your OP immediately to remove the video.

THIS WILL NOT WORK AND IS DANGEROUS TO DO!!!

So...do you have better instructions posted somewhere? I've become interested for sure. It's either tether or rely on the garbage sprint 3g/4g card for my work laptop, which is the most unreliable piece of crap I've ever had my hands on.

vmspionage

Jun 5, 2008
cellzealot, thanks for your work on RadioComm. Do you have any reason to believe that vzw is using the sim to authenticate 3g dun as well? Do you know of any apps that would be beneficial in snooping authentication packets?

Someguy1027

Dec 2, 2007
So I've read through this whole thread and think I've got the gist. Please let me know if this summary is correct:

It is no problem getting wireless tether to work using the OP instructions

At this point, although you can get it to work Verizon will know about it and likely end your grandfathered unlimited plan and put you on a tethering plan

Is this accurate as the situation currently stands?

idefiler6

May 16, 2011
CT
Let me make it clear that what I said in my last post is only substantiated by heresay and anecdotal claims. It has not happened to me personally, and I have no evidence to support it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda premium

vmspionage

Jun 5, 2008
So I've read through this whole thread and think I've got the gist. Please let me know if this summary is correct:

It is no problem getting wireless tether to work using the OP instructions

At this point, although you can get it to work Verizon will know about it and likely end your grandfathered unlimited plan and put you on a tethering plan

Is this accurate as the situation currently stands?
I've never heard of that happening and I doubt they would modify your original contract terms. More likely they will automatically sign you up for the cheapest tethering feature ($20/mo) or cancel your contract outright. In the latter case you may still be liable for an early cancellation fee since it was due to a TOS violation.

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
don't abuse it

I've never heard of that happening and I doubt they would modify your original contract terms. More likely they will automatically sign you up for the cheapest tethering feature ($20/mo) or cancel your contract outright. In the latter case you may still be liable for an early cancellation fee since it was due to a TOS violation.

I've been tethering free on all carriers including Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile(free anyways), and Verizon since 2010. They CAN terminate you but they are not going to do that unless you abuse the system.

Use your common sense and don't start downloading a bunch of torrent files off your Bionic 4G connection but if you are going to use it lightly perhaps at the mall or the airport, you should be fine. Verizon has nothing to gain from terminating users even if they are tethering but they might if you abuse the system.

Use common sense!

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
To be honest, I don't have all the answers to these questions yet.

Today will be my first day off since I got the Bionic so I can start taking a closer look at some of these things.

The fact is that VZW and the other carriers and the manufacturers are all working together to stop this practice and have implemented numerous different schemes to accomplish that.

The phone can still be read and programmed using QPST because the MDM6600 Qualcomm chip is handling CDMA/EvDO it requires those NVM parameters, but the values in those authentication strings for NAI and Tethered NAI are now different. We also do not have any diagnostic tools available in the wild to read and monitor the new Motorola LTE radio chipset in the Bionic. This the first time anyone has had the chance to see it. When they developed it, they didn't even have proper diagnostic monitoring software tools like QXDM for their testers to use in the field. All of that had to be developed internally and that was part of the delay in getting this device to market.

They have finally implemented the network side changes needed to differentiate internal and externally routed data in an new way.

We have lots of work to do now...ok? ;)

Last edited:

idefiler6

May 16, 2011
CT
Fair enough. I can use PDAnet for a month free, should be plenty of time to at least have some answers to these questions.

rafarataneneces

Sep 24, 2007
Well I cancelled my tethering yesterday at the website, and boom, today the freaking trick stopped working in the middle of a meeting

We are trying to sign a contract for 7k with a client (I develop websites), and **** the tethering goes off

I don't know, I like Verizon, but I definitively have to pay $70 per month for their internet

I would pay

but their Bionic screen is so nasty and horrible I doubt I am going to stay with Verizon :(

However, if you PAY FOR TETHERING, this trick is pretty cool, as Tethering now takes half a second to activate

With the previous method, it took up to 4-5 seconds till the system verifies you

Now it just works, it's great

I guess if you pay for Tethering, you'll love this trick

rafarataneneces

Sep 24, 2007
If tethering stops working, please reboot your device :)

If I have free tethering, I might stay with freaking Verizon

I'm still confused.

For me, Sprint is the option that works great.

However, if Verizon has a decent dual core with 1GB of RAM and 4G speed, then it makes sense to stay with Verizon

I think the best thing to do is go to Sprint, use it for 6 months, then switch to Verizon again

It's nice to hack Verizon though, it's so nice I actually think I can stay in this network since having 5GB of internet and tethering for $50 (that's all I pay, I don't pay for minutes), it's pretty tempting

Teewalk200

Dec 17, 2010
I followed the sets for the wifi hot spot.. but with my droid bionic my computer will wont connect to wifi hot spot....and is there a way my old wifi tether can work bc i like being able to change the ip address

Teewalk200

Dec 17, 2010
ya i have tried that my other computer are the same its finds the droid wifi but wont connect just keeps trying and eventually quits its weird i should connect right away

whats do you think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, here's a way you can get FREE wifi tethering/mobile hotspot on your Droid Bionic so you don't have to pay Verizon twice for the same internet you are already paying for. I don't know why Verizon would block this feature especially when you consider that there's a 2GB cap on your mobile internet usage anyways.

<MOD EDIT>
    If you are going to advise people to use Radiocomm, you need to have a lot better instructions and be a lot more clear about what exactly you are changing and the danger of using a powerful and extremely dangerous app like RadioComm.
    You also need to understand that the radio NVM of a SIM based LTE device like the Bionic is overridden by the authentication protocols on the SIM. Even if you change the NV items as per your very poorly executed instructions, they are ignored by the SIM and will not be used for authentication.

It's really important to understand how these things work properly before rushing into putting up guides and videos and telling people it's safe to do.

The proper MA chipset base for the Bionic and the Droid 3 is Common/MDM6x00 not MSM7500 as you stated. The correct tab for the STELEM/RDELEM module will then be P2K4.

Not to rain on your picnic, but RadioComm is a very dangerous program and clarity and explicit warnings and instructions are required to avoid a lot of people destroying there phones.
    MODERATOR MESSAGE

THIS THREAD IS CLOSED TEMPORARILY!

The title and OP of this thread really needs to be changed or the thread needs to be deleted. Otherwise people will just read the OP, try this and get screwed.

Unfortunately, there is some good discussion in this thread and some valuable information conveyed as well as a few hard knocks lessons about rushing into posting up guides containing poorly researched methods.

It's up to everyone who posts here to uphold the standards for the knowledge base on xda or anywhere else for that matter.

It's not about attracting attention to yourself and Donate to Me buttons.
    :cool:
    So tethering was not working for me using the prescribed method. I couldn't get an IP address assigned to devices that I connected. So I changed s few more values in the settings.db file and was able to enable tethering using the mobile tethering app. Don't know how Verizon will monitor, dont know any legal ramifications, or how this will be handled by Verizon (monitored or tracked, as I just got it working now).... So try it at your own risk i guess if you had the same trouble as me and sorry if this was mentioned before..

using SQL editor:
    AP_ENABLE. = 1
    Entitlement_check = 0
    After that was changed I wasnt getting a DHCP ip address properly assigned to connected devices...
    It wasn't until I changed the
    tether_reverse_nat_enabled = 1

And now I'm able to submit this from my iPad tethered to my bionic :)