[APP] Flash Image GUI - Flash Kernels and Recoveries from normal Android mode!

Search This thread

joeykrim

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 9, 2009
Credits:
birbeck for the usual random java guidance, slushpupie for his previous java guidance, dodgejcr for extreme amounts of testing, and one_love_420 and shift for some great graphics!
testers: JT-, couga6442, happytweak and many others I might have forgot in the furry of three days I built the initial app from scratch.!
Thanks to SDX

HTC Unlock:
If you have a newer Hboot version on either a CDMA or GSM device which has successfully completed the HTC unlock method, this application will work to flash kernels!
Please see the guides at the bottom of this post!

Features:
Flash Image GUI has a couple of great features:
Ability to strip signature from stock signed boot kernels, ability to locate kernel image inside of a ROM .zip, ability to load "Anykernel" type .zip files, ability to load .zip files containing "recovery.img", ability to load straight boot.img files and ability to load straight recovery.img files.

Background:
flash_image (bmlwrite) is an extremely useful utility for flashing custom kernels, boot logos and recoveries. This binary has made it possible to easily flash all these items and is used almost everywhere behind the scenes (i.e. in custom recoveries, packaged into kernel /sbin, etc).

Description:
This android application, FlashImageGUI, is basically a GUI interface for the linux binary, flash_image provided by google in AOSP for loading custom kernels and recovery images onto the phone.
This app allows the flashing of kernels and custom recovery images in normal android mode!

Current Device Support:
Full Kernel, Logo and Recovery flashing: Samsung Moment, Transform, Intercept and Acclaim - the s3c6410 series of devices
Full Kernel (Anykernel and boot.img) Flashing and Recovery (zip file or image) flashing: HTC AMAZE 4G, EVO 3D CDMA and GSM, HTC EVO, HTC EVO Shift, Nexus S/Nexus S 4G & LG Optimus
Full Kernel (zImage) Flashing: Samsung Epic
Check application version for updates

Future Support:
Let me know what you want to see!

YouTube Video Directions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEVhKbvXawM&hd=1&list=PL9B601B5B9B4F42BE
Thanks disturb3d1/wwjoshdew!

Install Directions:
Install process is the same as any other .apk. Download to computer and adb push or mount sdcard on computer and copy over or download directly to the phone. Use any file manager, adb, connectbot/terminal emulator to install.
My preferred method, maybe a bit technical: ./adb install c:\downloads\FlashImageGUI.apk

Download Locations
Market (99 cents!): Flash Image GUI
Release version (free): Flash Image GUI (Trouble with the link, PM me. Thanks!)

Any questions, comments, concerns, or issues, please post in this thread or send me an email! Thanks for all the help and support!

FAQ:
Q: Will this app support a marketplace to pick and chose kernels from?
A: No. Use Kernel Manager!

Screenshots:
sshot-FlashImageGUI-main-portrait-evo3d-v1.3.2-50.png

FlashImageGUI-main-portrait-optionsmenu-evo3d-v1.3.2-50.png

sshot-FlashImageGUI-main-portrait-flash-kernel-evo3d-50.png

Please post any helpful feedback. I'm always looking to improve the application!

HTC Unlock - User Guides for Flash Image GUI!!

HTC Unlock - Users Guide for ROMs with a Kernel (boot.img file):
1) Unlock using HTC method for Hboot 1.5 users
2) Load this application, Flash Image GUI, onto the device, either through the Market or the link provided in this OP.
3) Download ROM .zip file to the sdcard on the device.
4) Open up Flash Image GUI, select Browse and select the ROM .zip file, downloaded to /sdcard in the previous step.
5) Flash Image GUI will provide a warning, reminding that the ROM .zip file will *need* to be flashed in the custom recovery afterward.
6) Flash Image GUI will index the full ROM .zip file searching for the kernel and kernel modules. Once located, the Flash Image button should be enabled.
7) Select the Flash Image button and Flash Image GUI will load the kernel modules and kernel from inside the ROM zip file.
8) Select reboot recovery.
9) Inside the custom recovery, load/flash the ROM zip file.
10) Reboot to normal Android mode and all should work including Wifi!

HTC Unlock - Users Guide for flashing ONLY a Kernel (zip file):
1) Make sure the selected Kernel is compatible with the currently loaded ROM. If not, this will result in a lot of frustration!!! See troubleshooting steps below.
2) Download kernel zip file to /sdcard.
3) Open Flash Image GUI, browse and select kernel zip file, downloaded/loaded to sdcard in previous step.
3) Flash Image GUI will validate the kernel zip file is contains the minimum required files
4) Select the Flash Image button and Flash Image GUI will load the kernel and the kernel modules from the source kernel zip file.
5) Reboot

Troubleshooting after Rebooting:

First step, when experiencing issues flashing is to RE FLASH the files again. Many times, re flashing again will clear up any issues. If not, see the issues/solutions below.

Issue #1: If the device hangs or reboots while on the splash screen, the kernel (or packaged ramdisk in the kernel) is NOT compatible with your device!!!
Solution for #1: Have to boot into fastboot and load the custom recovery to flash a known good kernel or restore a previously known good nandroid backup. Command: fastboot boot c:\downloads\cwm-recovery.img
Issue #2: If the device hangs or reboots while on the boot animation, the ROM is likely NOT compatible with the kernel!!!
Solution for #2: Have to boot into fastboot and load the custom recovery to flash a known good ROM/kernel combination either from a zip file or restore from a nandroid backup.

WORD OF CAUTION!:
Few things to note!
**If you process a ROM .zip file, Flash Image GUI will ONLY flash the kernel from the ROM .zip. The exact same ROM .zip file needs to be flashed from standard recovery mode next. If the same ROM .zip file is not flashed after the kernel, the device might not booed.
**If an incompatible kernel is flashed, the device will either hang on the splash screen or experience the repeating boot animation loop. The only way to recovery is by using fastboot!

Please provide as much detailed feedback as possible:
1) Link to .zip/.img file being loaded
2) Steps followed
3) Outcome

Thanks for all the support and help!

Last edited:

Binary100100

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 6, 2008
Detroit, Mi
Love it! It worked flawless. The warnings were a bit intimidating but I'm sure you have to cover your own butt. :D

If I could change just one thing if you don't mind... may I move this to the Apps section? I'll set it with a re-direct.:eek:

Reactions: joeykrim

eboy44

May 13, 2006
LA 818
Amazing thanks for this. Worked like a charm, and yea the warnings made me very paranoid even though I knew what I was doing haha

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda premium

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
Love it! It worked flawless. The warnings were a bit intimidating but I'm sure you have to cover your own butt. :D

If I could change just one thing if you don't mind... may I move this to the Apps section? I'll set it with a re-direct.:eek:
I was planning on closing this thread, once we confirmed it was all working properly and opening a new official thread for the release with all my extra details.
Guess I can just update this thread with the official details!

Amazing thanks for this. Worked like a charm, and yea the warnings made me very paranoid even though I knew what I was doing haha

Perfect! Appreciate all the positive feedback.
Yea, the warnings a bit strong mainly because I also have this app posted on the market for 99 cents and want to avoid 1 star ratings from users who aren't as knowledgble.
If there is any specific wording you come across, which you think can be improeved, feel free to post back! I'd be more than glad to adjust wording for clarify.

If anybody else is able to test, feel free. Will probably make an official update to the application tonight. Thanks for all the support!

Last edited:

aj_2423

Sep 21, 2010
Sacramento, Ca
Awesome, thanks man works great. Definately makes things much easier.

Sent from my BulletProof Amaze, Powered by Faux kernel...
via xda premium

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009

via xda premium
Nice, appreciate the feedback.
Updated the OP with all the official release information including more detailed guides for HTC Unlock users with some basic trouble shooting steps.

Thanks for the support!

DEFINITIONOFREAL

Jun 11, 2010
Updated the OP with all the official release information including more detailed guides for HTC Unlock users with some basic trouble shooting steps.

Thanks for the support!

This is great work, I couldn't believe no one had thought to get you over here, its some much nicer then having to run to pc, thanks again for your work and quick response

Sent from my HTC Amaze 4G using XDA App

smatthew45

Feb 28, 2011
Katy, TX
do you need an external sd card for recovery/kernel flashing? or can you use the internal one? if internal then you've just enabled me to get rid of my pc lol

DEFINITIONOFREAL

Jun 11, 2010
do you need an external sd card for recovery/kernel flashing? or can you use the internal one? if internal then you've just enabled me to get rid of my pc lol

It uses the internal, and the pc issue is why I got him to support our device, I hated having to go to a pc just to finish flashing a rom

Last edited:

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
Any future plans to make it for: Sprint Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch?

thx
Haven't had any testers with the Epic Touch 4G. Glanced through a few of the kernels and as usually, Samsung appears to be doing things "differently".
If you're free to test, send me a PM and we can find a time to walk through some basics.

Thanks for the support and interest!

sytauro

Jun 9, 2011
Glasgow
HTC Desire Z please

Please port it to other HTC models, esp. Desire Z, Vision & T-Mobile G2!
Mine has ridiculous rebooting problems (CM7 rooted) :eek:

KeiranFTW

Nov 17, 2011
Sunderland
Haven't had any testers with the Epic Touch 4G. Glanced through a few of the kernels and as usually, Samsung appears to be doing things "differently".
If you're free to test, send me a PM and we can find a time to walk through some basics.

Thanks for the support and interest!

Hey!
If you could get this to work on the Xperia Play we would be grateful. we have to use fastboot atm.

keiran

Binary100100

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 6, 2008
Detroit, Mi
Hey Joeykrim,
Your link to the free version hasn't worked in a few days.

If you don't mind I would like to attach it here and onto your first post for convenience. If you're not cool with it then let me know by PM or reply and I'll fix it. Thanks!

EDIT: Removed per request of OP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Turboboxer

Nshih422

Jul 24, 2010
Arizona
This made flashing kernels so easy to do without a computer! Thanks for this app it really made life just that much easier.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Credits:
    birbeck for the usual random java guidance, slushpupie for his previous java guidance, dodgejcr for extreme amounts of testing, and one_love_420 and shift for some great graphics!
    testers: JT-, couga6442, happytweak and many others I might have forgot in the furry of three days I built the initial app from scratch.!
    Thanks to SDX

HTC Unlock:
    If you have a newer Hboot version on either a CDMA or GSM device which has successfully completed the HTC unlock method, this application will work to flash kernels!
    Please see the guides at the bottom of this post!

Features:
    Flash Image GUI has a couple of great features:
    Ability to strip signature from stock signed boot kernels, ability to locate kernel image inside of a ROM .zip, ability to load "Anykernel" type .zip files, ability to load .zip files containing "recovery.img", ability to load straight boot.img files and ability to load straight recovery.img files.

Background:
    flash_image (bmlwrite) is an extremely useful utility for flashing custom kernels, boot logos and recoveries. This binary has made it possible to easily flash all these items and is used almost everywhere behind the scenes (i.e. in custom recoveries, packaged into kernel /sbin, etc).

Description:
    This android application, FlashImageGUI, is basically a GUI interface for the linux binary, flash_image provided by google in AOSP for loading custom kernels and recovery images onto the phone.
    This app allows the flashing of kernels and custom recovery images in normal android mode!

Current Device Support:
    Full Kernel, Logo and Recovery flashing: Samsung Moment, Transform, Intercept and Acclaim - the s3c6410 series of devices
    Full Kernel (Anykernel and boot.img) Flashing and Recovery (zip file or image) flashing: HTC AMAZE 4G, EVO 3D CDMA and GSM, HTC EVO, HTC EVO Shift, Nexus S/Nexus S 4G & LG Optimus
    Full Kernel (zImage) Flashing: Samsung Epic
    Check application version for updates

Future Support:
    Let me know what you want to see!

YouTube Video Directions:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEVhKbvXawM&hd=1&list=PL9B601B5B9B4F42BE
    Thanks disturb3d1/wwjoshdew!

Install Directions:
    Install process is the same as any other .apk. Download to computer and adb push or mount sdcard on computer and copy over or download directly to the phone. Use any file manager, adb, connectbot/terminal emulator to install.
    My preferred method, maybe a bit technical: ./adb install c:\downloads\FlashImageGUI.apk

Download Locations
    Market (99 cents!): Flash Image GUI
    Release version (free): Flash Image GUI (Trouble with the link, PM me. Thanks!)

Any questions, comments, concerns, or issues, please post in this thread or send me an email! Thanks for all the help and support!

FAQ:
    Q: Will this app support a marketplace to pick and chose kernels from?
    A: No. Use Kernel Manager!

Screenshots:
    sshot-FlashImageGUI-main-portrait-evo3d-v1.3.2-50.png

FlashImageGUI-main-portrait-optionsmenu-evo3d-v1.3.2-50.png

sshot-FlashImageGUI-main-portrait-flash-kernel-evo3d-50.png

Please post any helpful feedback. I'm always looking to improve the application!

HTC Unlock - User Guides for Flash Image GUI!!

HTC Unlock - Users Guide for ROMs with a Kernel (boot.img file):
    1) Unlock using HTC method for Hboot 1.5 users
    2) Load this application, Flash Image GUI, onto the device, either through the Market or the link provided in this OP.
    3) Download ROM .zip file to the sdcard on the device.
    4) Open up Flash Image GUI, select Browse and select the ROM .zip file, downloaded to /sdcard in the previous step.
    5) Flash Image GUI will provide a warning, reminding that the ROM .zip file will *need* to be flashed in the custom recovery afterward.
    6) Flash Image GUI will index the full ROM .zip file searching for the kernel and kernel modules. Once located, the Flash Image button should be enabled.
    7) Select the Flash Image button and Flash Image GUI will load the kernel modules and kernel from inside the ROM zip file.
    8) Select reboot recovery.
    9) Inside the custom recovery, load/flash the ROM zip file.
    10) Reboot to normal Android mode and all should work including Wifi!

HTC Unlock - Users Guide for flashing ONLY a Kernel (zip file):
    1) Make sure the selected Kernel is compatible with the currently loaded ROM. If not, this will result in a lot of frustration!!! See troubleshooting steps below.
    2) Download kernel zip file to /sdcard.
    3) Open Flash Image GUI, browse and select kernel zip file, downloaded/loaded to sdcard in previous step.
    3) Flash Image GUI will validate the kernel zip file is contains the minimum required files
    4) Select the Flash Image button and Flash Image GUI will load the kernel and the kernel modules from the source kernel zip file.
    5) Reboot

Troubleshooting after Rebooting:

First step, when experiencing issues flashing is to RE FLASH the files again. Many times, re flashing again will clear up any issues. If not, see the issues/solutions below.

Issue #1: If the device hangs or reboots while on the splash screen, the kernel (or packaged ramdisk in the kernel) is NOT compatible with your device!!!
    Solution for #1: Have to boot into fastboot and load the custom recovery to flash a known good kernel or restore a previously known good nandroid backup. Command: fastboot boot c:\downloads\cwm-recovery.img
    Issue #2: If the device hangs or reboots while on the boot animation, the ROM is likely NOT compatible with the kernel!!!
    Solution for #2: Have to boot into fastboot and load the custom recovery to flash a known good ROM/kernel combination either from a zip file or restore from a nandroid backup.

WORD OF CAUTION!:
    Few things to note!
    **If you process a ROM .zip file, Flash Image GUI will ONLY flash the kernel from the ROM .zip. The exact same ROM .zip file needs to be flashed from standard recovery mode next. If the same ROM .zip file is not flashed after the kernel, the device might not booed.
    **If an incompatible kernel is flashed, the device will either hang on the splash screen or experience the repeating boot animation loop. The only way to recovery is by using fastboot!

Please provide as much detailed feedback as possible:
    1) Link to .zip/.img file being loaded
    2) Steps followed
    3) Outcome

Thanks for all the support and help!

via xda premium

Thanks for the support!

This is great work, I couldn't believe no one had thought to get you over here, its some much nicer then having to run to pc, thanks again for your work and quick response