[How To Root]AT&T Galaxy S4 Active Root (SGH-i537) and S4 Active (GT-i9295)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

DazzlinJack

Jul 6, 2013
Nobody said anything about English speaking ,yet is is #4 in XDA rules. Clearly, that is not the issue most of the time. What I am talking about is people that are too lazy to read, therefore screw their phones up, and then expect to come here and have people fix their phones for them, all the while, still not reading and learning. Trying to use any other excuse for not taking the time to read an entire thread is just that...an excuse. If you don't read, you are the problem, not language barriers.

And keep your political rhetoric off the board. No one cares how you feel about this country or any other. This is not the place for that.

I'm sorry. Why so mean to me? Make me cry. Also, 1st Amendment. You can't tell me what I can and can't say. No one cares about your authoritative indoctrination of an online message board such as XDA so be quiet :eek:)

DazzlinJack

Jul 6, 2013
Amends

To get back on topic, Thank You Geohot for the s4 root! Like how you just stopped by an AT&T store, picked up an S4 Active, and made a quick root without realizing there was a bounty; I too stumbled on this fantastic forum and saw you posted the easiest way to Root which was something I really really needed and was lacking on my S4 Active! Thank you and I'm not paying you a dime since others are so eager to foot the bill for me. Appreciate it, bra!

Rattles

Nov 14, 2011
To get back on topic, Thank You Geohot for the s4 root! Like how you just stopped by an AT&T store, picked up an S4 Active, and made a quick root without realizing there was a bounty; I too stumbled on this fantastic forum and saw you posted the easiest way to Root which was something I really really needed and was lacking on my S4 Active! Thank you and I'm not paying you a dime since others are so eager to foot the bill for me. Appreciate it, bra!

wow, you really are a class act...

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011

wow, you really are a class act...

School will be back in soon and hopefully trolls like him will go back to school work and doing chores for their mommies.

joshuadjohnson22

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta

If you are not going to donate how about just don't say anything? What you said makes your sound cheap. Just say thanks and move on

joshuadjohnson22

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta
Hey,

is there any news for the i9295 root? Thought it might just be a minor problem to be fixed easily?!

Thx DK

This a good note to anyone who is looking for a root method for the i9295 with an unlocked bootloader. To gain root do the following steps:
So just flash http://download.chainfire.eu/316/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-jflte-jfltexx-gti9505.zip with included Odin and thats it. Below is how to flash:

- Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-....zip file (see posts below this one)
- (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
- Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
- Click the PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-....tar.md5
- Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
- (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
- Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
- Click the Start button
- Wait for Android to boot
- Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

If you see this post a user confirmed this to gain root access

Reactions: The-Dark-Knight

_MetalHead_

Jun 30, 2010
Portland

I'm speechless. This is probably the single most disrespectful post I have ever seen on xda. I usually don't resort to name calling but this is a very special case- You sir, are an a$$hole.

fresh_TD

Feb 25, 2012
Destin, FL

Cool story bro.

Sent from my S4 Active

DJ_smooth

Feb 25, 2011
Houston
I made a direct donation on geohots Web site for 25 through PayPal. My phone won't let me copy and paste the transaction id but geohot should havea donation from davidsmoot at gmail.com.

Reactions: joshuadjohnson22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hit up geohot.com/activeroot on your device

because I'm too new to post links

supporting for the next hour in #xda-devs on freenode

it's my first android root, be kind. feedback welcome.​
    As requested here is a separate thread for the S4 Active bounty

AT&T S4 Active SGH-i537 root method:
    -------------------------

This guide is to help people root their Galaxy S4 Active devices. Model SGH-i537 on AT&T.

Credit goes to geohot for the release of activeroot apk!

-------------------------
    Video guide here

1. First go to Settings and click the "More" tab. Then go into security and check "Unknown Sources."

2. Visit http://geohot.com/activeroot from your device and click the lampda picture to download the apk file.

3. Run the apk. It should give you a message telling you that you have root. Worked almost instantly for me.

4. Visit the Play Store and download SuperSU. (NOTE: You MUST download and use SuperSU to manage superuser permissions, nothing else. Only SuperSU currently can circumvent Samsung's "root blocker" in the kernel.)

5. Open the Super SU app and update binaries.

6. Optional. Donate. I contributed $10 to the original bounty, but really... this is a quick and simple method. Toss him $5 bucks if this root helps you out!

Kill AT&T's OTA updater before it kills you!

Use a root enabled file explorer (Like Root Explorer) and navigate to: /system/app/

Rename or delete wssyncmldm.apk

If you want to get rid of AT&T's nannying nagging message about root access delete or rename KNOXAgent.apk

Install App Quarantine, go into settings and uncheck Hide system apps and disable AT&T Updater

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ===== ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

UNROOT and RETURN TO STOCK:

File Name: Oneclick_I537UCUAMF1.7z
    MD5: 5860A429420FF9029C8CF687F43E3D83
    Password: rootzwiki
    DOWNLOAD: Here
    Credit: RootzWiki

*Note* A factory reset wont return you to stock because the binaries will remain. You can try doing a "full unroot" from super su app or flash the above in ODIN

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ===== ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

======================================
    F.A.Q.
    ======================================

Q: What does activeroot do for my phone?
    A: It gives you root access to the phone's file system. Even the Android system files.

Q: What can I do with root?
    A: You can run applications that require root access to function. Apps like Titanium Backup, can back up all of your apps and settings and save it in your phone's storage/SD card. You can also freeze (disable) or delete pre-installed apps that came with the phone (AT&T/Samsung bloatware).

Q. Is root dangerous?
    A. Well, it does give you access to files you were not supposed to be allowed to manipulate. If you accidentally delete files that are important, you could cause the phone to crash and prevent booting.

Q. Can I install a custom ROM?
    A. As of 7/8/13, the answer is no. Not yet. To be able to install a custom ROM, you need to be able to install a custom recovery. As of now, the bootloader of the original Galaxy S4 and the Galaxy S4 Active are still locked. The original GS4 currently has an venerability in it's bootloader that allows for an exploit (called Loki exploit) to be used that enables installation of custom recoveries and ROMS. This vulnerability has been patched since the release of the GS4 Active, and our phones cannot take advantage of the Loki exploit.

Q. Will the GS4A's bootloader EVER be unlocked?
    A. No one knows for sure. The Galaxy S4 Active is a niche product available exclusively on AT&T in the USA. It will never reach the sales numbers that the original Galaxy S4 will achieve because of this. Since the original GS4 will be the phone in more users' hands... the same can be said for the hands of developers. A developer who bought the original GS4, is not likely to also buy a GS4A. That being said, the original GS4 is a very popular device and people are working hard on it's bootloader. The GS4 and the GS4A are similar enough that if the GS4 gets unlocked, luck may shine on us and the method may unlock our phones as well. But, as the old saying goes, "I wouldn't hold your breath."

International S4 Active GT-i9295 root method:
    This a good note to anyone who is looking for a root method for the i9295 with an unlocked bootloader. To gain root do the following steps:
    So just flash http://download.chainfire.eu/316/CF-...xx-gti9505.zip with included Odin and thats it. Below is how to flash:

- Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-....zip file (see posts below this one)
    - (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
    - Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
    - Click the PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-....tar.md5
    - Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
    - (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
    - Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
    - Click the Start button
    - Wait for Android to boot
    - Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practice!)

If you see this post a user confirmed this to gain root access

Do either of these root methods at your own risk. I take NO responsibility for you bricking your device.

Root Bounty (obviously already achieved)
    Root must be repeatable by the average user it also must be stable:

Pledges:
    joshuadjohnson22 $10 8M127451EM528464N
    Marvelicious75 $15 90D961051P289421J
    thatbigmoose $10 07X32126MM98984XX
    stephensonbrady $10 8CC62383EC2722109
    bdgarel $15
    daugh016 $10 4JV00716K7186494W
    _MetalHead_ $50 xxxxxxxxxx872881H
    gurnec $30 4U73259930163730V
    zhchaoxing $20 34779178V4223182W
    Javascriptvoid $15 2MW27489NA337573L
    Informpage $10 6SL14089NP013225R
    Bubba9004 $10 1U508646WW0646002
    Solange82200 $10 78L51773DM109584M
    TenEightyPee $10 6BB23055YJ674324X
    Naeib2000 $10
    Twillso $20 xxxxxxxxxx6631148
    Davidusr $20 52U63980M5747400X
    Yankeesfan714 $50 #xxxxxxxxxxx-83407
    DJ_smooth $25
    SirBash $10 7CM588676N745162J
    ForkySpoony $25 65935426WY543180U
    mnasledov $40 57V383820G529761V

Total as of 10:15 PM EST 7/23/2013: $425

(if you made a pledge but changed your mind or if I missed your pledge please PM me)

I was asked what the process would be once a exploit is found. Once it is found we will wait for the dev to specify how he wants the money sent. Usually it is just a donation to their paypal account. On rare occasions the dev will just say they want money donated to charity but that is rare and the dev should get paid for their hard work. I will follow up to make sure everyone pays.
    Swung by the AT&T store today on the way back from the beach...my new phone, didn't know they weren't rooted yet.

~geohot
    The first website had a link to the vuln, but that's like saying Samsung over here patch me patch me. The exploit is totally rewritten(and kind of funny looking if you looked), I didn't know people had used it before with Android.

I'm speechless. This is probably the single most disrespectful post I have ever seen on xda. I usually don't resort to name calling but this is a very special case- You sir, are an a$$hole.