Still great tablet

Search This thread

mohlin

Jan 14, 2009
I bought a used i815 because I can put my Sim card from phone into device. I use IP Groove for calls when I am using at the gym. No more phone tether. Screen is better than most of my newer Galaxy units. It is light and easy to carry. Used CM ROM upgrades and it is as good mid size table as there is.

Sent from my SCH-I815 using XDA Free mobile app

vbx

May 13, 2012
I bought a used i815 because I can put my Sim card from phone into device. I use IP Groove for calls when I am using at the gym. No more phone tether. Screen is better than most of my newer Galaxy units. It is light and easy to carry. Used CM ROM upgrades and it is as good mid size table as there is.

Sent from my SCH-I815 using XDA Free mobile app

I'm still using my galaxy tab 7.7. Havent found a better replacement yet. And the Samsung Milk music app makes it even better. I connect it to my car via bluetooth to stram free music.

I also just bought a z1 compact. I switch between devices depending on where I go. But im so use to the 7.7 screeen. I prefer the tab. But irs awkward carrying this everywhere

The camera is dated though.

mr-bond

Sep 28, 2011
very nice tab

I'm still using my galaxy tab 7.7 Haven't found a better replacement yet. maybe galaxy tab s

bravo261

Aug 15, 2005
The Tab S rocks. But......probably will never part with my 7.7!

i have the Tab S, and though i naturally love it, the 7.7 is now permanently on my work desk for videos and such. reselling it for $120 just isn't worth it to let go. i'd love it a whole lot more if it would go into deep sleep though. my tab S is in standby for over a month while this 7.7 is literally 3 days or so

fillyo

Aug 18, 2010
i have the Tab S, and though i naturally love it, the 7.7 is now permanently on my work desk for videos and such. reselling it for $120 just isn't worth it to let go. i'd love it a whole lot more if it would go into deep sleep though. my tab S is in standby for over a month while this 7.7 is literally 3 days or so

I have an SCH-815 running 4.2.2 and it's a piece of junk, everything is slow, it is very frustrating. I have tried several ROMs. My daughters Gtab 2 running 4.4.blows this thing away unfortunately.

rayjr13

May 26, 2011
$120 u say...might have to grab a second one. But i think if i did get another it would be the wifi only probably. one i815 is enough lol

golfinggino

Nov 23, 2011
burlington, on
I have had this device since it first came out but I would not say it is still a great device - I don't use it anymore it is just too slow I have flashed the latest cm12 ROM and it is still very slow - its best feature was its screen but with the tab s there really is no reason to use this anymore - rest in peace it was the best but that was years ago

jawil

Oct 1, 2007
I use the tab s now. The only annoying thing here is that the buttons are not on screen. When using the tab s in landscape mode it's far too easy to hit one of the capacitive buttons for back or show last used apps.

Last edited:

massdown

Sep 5, 2011
Alexandria
I have had this device since it first came out but I would not say it is still a great device - I don't use it anymore it is just too slow I have flashed the latest cm12 ROM and it is still very slow - its best feature was its screen but with the tab s there really is no reason to use this anymore - rest in peace it was the best but that was years ago

agree with you. :good: now its my baby's toy :)

TonyBigs

Apr 14, 2011
Try running the p6800 with rooted, stock, debloated JB 4.1.2 XMD3 with JB (and earlier) apps. It still runs pretty snappy and I have and 8.4 Tab S.

ToastyZ71

Sep 29, 2011
I've got an i815, but only use it for wifi. Just rooted it and installed TWRP. Tried a few roms, from Omni 5.1.1 experimental, to a few 4.2 variants, they also seemed to slow down after awhile and lag a lot. Now I'm on 4.4.4 r2 Carbon from daniel_hk and it's been solid for days... it's not seeming to have the slow down issues. I just wish there was a way to disable the radios without resorting to airplane mode. I still might abandon, as one of the things I wanted was to do TiVo streaming, but the stock image of 4.0.4 isn't supported.... aaaand flipping to a supported verson of Android (4.1.2+) has issues because the TiVo app does not work on any CM based ROM's. Unfortunately, the only person I saw that tried a stock P68xx ROM on the i815 ended up without touch input on the device.

skeeterpro

Jan 8, 2011
Iowa
Understand and agree. There are more powerful and versatile devices since the venerable 7.7. I guess I'll always keep mine for historical purposes as it was the Tab 7.7 that caused Apple to go ballistic resorting to litigation! :)