[Q] Help: Phone Stuck in Qualcomm Diagnostic Mode

Search This thread

GotsOJ

Nov 13, 2011
Hi all,
I recently turned my Wildfire S (A510c) from S-on to S-off and rooted it with no problems. I flashed a new rom onto it with no problems, decided I didn't like it, so I flashed a different rom. Now my phone won't turn on and is not recognized by my computer. All it does when I hit the power button (either by itself or with volume up or down) is vibrate three times. I understand that this means the phone is in Qualcomm diagnostic mode. Is there a way for me to get out of this? I can't even get into hboot.

GotsOJ

Nov 13, 2011
Whew, thanks Pat. Looks like my problem is software related and not hardware based, so I still have a chance.

I have another question now... Could somebody please help me with the timing of the 'blind' recovery? (i.e. the button presses and timing of the button presses that I would have to execute). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

a BIG thanks to wildstang83 for this!

If you are getting vibrates when trying to boot your phone. do the following:

Download

build-3.26.605.1-release-152016-baseband-2.15.00.07.28-hboot-0.92.0000_PB31IMG.zip

google, you will find it.

backup your SD card, format it fat 32 and place this file on the root of your card. Be sure to rename it PB31IMG.zip

Once it is on your sd card, verify the MD5 to ensure the file was not corrupted during the download or during the transfer.

Hold Vol down + power. you will feel 5 vibrations

wait for a god 2 to 3 min. if everything is going correctly, your phone is verifying the IMG file and this takes a bit.

after 2 to 3 min. wait one more min

now, press vol up. this tells the phone to update.

wait 2 to 3 min for the update to happen then wait one more.

press vol up again. you should feel the phone single vibrate and then presto.. working phone again :)

next time be more careful :)

Please let me know if this did not work for you.

THANKS WILDSTANG!! You're what these forums are all about :)

GotsOJ

Nov 13, 2011
I think you have to find correct PB31IMG for your Wildfire S first

Is that different from the PG76IMG.zip file?

Edit: I've extracted files from the wildfire S virginmobile RUU.exe, and now I have a data1.cab file that I can't extract from. I'm pretty sure the IMG file is in there. How do I extract it? I've used winrar, 7zip, universal extractor, all to no avail

Last edited:

meanmug

Nov 10, 2008
Sector 7

Edit: I've extracted files from the wildfire S virginmobile RUU.exe, and now I have a data1.cab file that I can't extract from. I'm pretty sure the IMG file is in there. How do I extract it? I've used winrar, 7zip, universal extractor, all to no avail
Try renaming "rom.zip" to "PG76IMG.zip", format goldcard, copy "PG76IMG.zip" to sdcard, and boot to hboot. You can find "rom.zip" using this method. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18735553&postcount=4

ScottPomroy

Aug 25, 2011
Philadelphia
Did the search with RUU open and it did not find rom.zip.

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

If somebody could be really cool and extract that rom.zip file and post it up that would be just excellent!!!!!!! I would even UPS ya a most awesome 6 pack!!!!!

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

I think I'm going to try that procedure with a couple of the custom roms at least 2 get it back up and running.

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Hey instead of trying to pry that file out of data1.cab, do you think this one may work since it's a completly stock rom with just a couple of add-ons. If it does boot up and it's not compatible with you service provider then you at least can see what you are doing and run a restore from a previous save.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1307459

Reactions: m1stap1mz

ScottPomroy

Aug 25, 2011
Philadelphia
Well the rom in the link I posted above didn't work. But then I also noticed that when I pushed +volume to tell the phone to update it didn't vibrate. The battery is still fine also. So it wasn't because the battery died. I think I may scream!!!!!:eek:

GotsOJ

Nov 13, 2011
Well the rom in the link I posted above didn't work. But then I also noticed that when I pushed +volume to tell the phone to update it didn't vibrate. The battery is still fine also. So it wasn't because the battery died. I think I may scream!!!!!:eek:

Does it still vibrate 3 times when you try to turn it on normally?

meanmug

Nov 10, 2008
Sector 7
Im downloading the Virgin Mobile RUU, Im curious as to the differences between the cdma and gsm versions. They may or may not have the same files inside the actual rom file.

GotsOJ

Nov 13, 2011
It worked when I did it, also cdma and gsm roms have the same files inside rom.zip.

Could you upload the rom.zip files please? I haven't been able to find them/my downloads keep getting corrupted. Thanks!

@Scott: maybe it didn't work bc you didn't use the stock recovery file?

Last edited:
Reactions: m1stap1mz

ScottPomroy

Aug 25, 2011
Philadelphia
I cheated and returned the phone to best buy and got it exchanged. But, however i will try to look for the ROM file and upload it if I can. But, first I need to s-off and root!!!

GotsOJ

Nov 13, 2011
I cheated and returned the phone to best buy and got it exchanged. But, however i will try to look for the ROM file and upload it if I can. But, first I need to s-off and root!!!

Haha, I also caved in and sent mine back to Radioshack... I did find the rom.zip file eventually, but it didn't help me fix my phone. Sigh. Back to square one.

ScottPomroy

Aug 25, 2011
Philadelphia
Haha, I also caved in and sent mine back to Radioshack... I did find the rom.zip file eventually, but it didn't help me fix my phone. Sigh. Back to square one.

Well i won't make the mistake of trying to put a custom rom on this phone unless it is certified for Virgin mobile usa but then, I'm just rooted with link2sd and went in and removed all of the bloatware myself and it's doing pretty good. I guess the only thing I would like to do now is find a good custom kernel for it so I can overclock it to like maybe 750. But there should be more stuff coming in devolopment as the demand should go up this holiday season. They're starting and advertisment campaign for the Wildfire S(Virgin USA), which I also hear offers a lowered price. So we'll probably see more people with them in their hands now.

GotsOJ

Nov 13, 2011
Yeah, I learned my lesson as well. I'm waiting for my new phone to come in the mail, but in the meantime, I'm going to try to cook a custom virgin stock rom without all the add ons.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know its a different device but maybe it might help
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1128733

pat
    Did the search with RUU open and it did not find rom.zip.

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

If somebody could be really cool and extract that rom.zip file and post it up that would be just excellent!!!!!!! I would even UPS ya a most awesome 6 pack!!!!!

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

I think I'm going to try that procedure with a couple of the custom roms at least 2 get it back up and running.

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Hey instead of trying to pry that file out of data1.cab, do you think this one may work since it's a completly stock rom with just a couple of add-ons. If it does boot up and it's not compatible with you service provider then you at least can see what you are doing and run a restore from a previous save.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1307459
    It worked when I did it, also cdma and gsm roms have the same files inside rom.zip.

Could you upload the rom.zip files please? I haven't been able to find them/my downloads keep getting corrupted. Thanks!

@Scott: maybe it didn't work bc you didn't use the stock recovery file?
    Actually these following custom roms will run on it. But you will only have phone service as mobile internet and wifi doesn't work. Such a shame I would love to see these working for Virgin Mobile USA users. Maybe even add a custom kernel that would allow us to overclock. Other than that you gotta root and shoot out the crap yourself. That is until OJ or somebody else come up with something. I would like to see cm7 port be customized for the VM model with sense 2.1. That would be awesome.

1) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1314430 [ROM]Wildfire S -JikantaruROM XE™|Sense2.1|DATA2SD|HighQuality & Performance 11-7-11

2) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1252181 [ROM][Rooted]Neo_moded_rom_v1.0

Have you tried keeping your own stock kernel and just flashing the ROM?

Try extracting the system.img from any ROM and use "flash_image system /sdcard/system.img" from adb shell in recovery, terminal emulator, or in fastboot mode (fastboot flash system /sdcard/system.img).
    Will doing this flash the new rom without touching the kernel?

Yes. You could also cook a ROM with your own kernel using dsixda's kitchen, just use your original boot.img in the "original_update" folder.