[Q] Bad WiFi Performance?

Search This thread

ooofest

Aug 17, 2011
NY
I have the same issue. It's not as fast as my s2 on WiFi.also sometimes it loses signal and the WiFi turns off by itself and then on. It's really weird

This is my symptom since Day 1 for a Blue 32GB, as well. We've had Droid Incredible and Incredible 2s here, iPhones from 3-4s, a Galaxy 7" pad and an iPad 2 - all work fine with the Wi-Fi from my Netgear WNDR3700 at 2.4 or 5GHz (i.e., I have two channels, different network names) using WPA2-PSK (AES).

Web browsing on Wi-Fi has been horribly slow with many timeouts and I can't even connect to check for a Software Update via Wi-Fi (unless that's normal for such a function).

Will be testing with my spouse's white 16GB later today to determine if it's only my Galaxy S III having problem.

I'm about ready to call Verizon for service, because Wi-Fi performance - even connecting is haphazard - is a big pain.

- ooofest

ooofest

Aug 17, 2011
NY
Just spoke with Verizon Support and they located a known issue from Samsung which describes a WiFi disconnect/reconnect and bad signal issue. Samsung claims that there is a fix coming, but it will be in the second major software push (when is/was the first?) to our phones . . . in October, 2012.

They could not give me a reference number or similar.

So, I told Verizon that, until then, I will probably disable WiFi and stay on 4G - even at home.

We have two Galaxy S III phones here, so they said that if my spouse's phone does not have the same WiFi issues (i.e., maybe different build lots for the WiFi components?), then I can call back and they will exchange my phone for another new one until it works, essentially.

FYI.

- ooofest

Last edited:

colemac

Jul 15, 2011
I am having the same issues with poor wifi signal. low bars..so when is this update coming out? Anyone have any idea?

mrRobinson

Dec 20, 2010
I am having the same issues with poor wifi signal. low bars..so when is this update coming out? Anyone have any idea?

I'm not sure the variants everyone is talking here but i have ATT. on the stock phone I had no wifi issues at work, corp AP, non-hidden wpa network. At home I have hidden ssid on airport extremes with wpa and would notice my wifi would connect/reconnect all the time. Sometimes in a seemingly endless loop until i cycled wifi on/off.

Once i applied ATT's OTA update to LG1 i've only noticed it do that once in the past week whereas before it was nearly every day. I did notice some changes to wpa supplicant in the OTA update. So something in that update made it much better for me but probably not 100% solved. That update also had a new modem.

babracmmm

Jun 9, 2010
I received my replacement Verizon S3 yesterday and there is a ton of difference in the way the wifi receives and the life of the battery. Now my phone is working the way it is supposed to (except I haven't checked blue tooth yet). I'm getting 3 bars for wifi with this one. The other one could barely hold 1 bar.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2011
I have the same issue. It's not as fast as my s2 on WiFi.also sometimes it loses signal and the WiFi turns off by itself and then on. It's really weird

sent from my GALAXY SIII

Similar issue here. My WiFi disconnects itself and my wife doesn't have the same issue. At first I thought that it was because I rooted my phone but then I went back to stock and still losses WiFi...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

proc_freq

Jul 12, 2012
Madison
Depending on where I am I have to switch between Auto and manually selecting 5. At home I drop signal / weak signal on auto so I switch over to force 5, at friend's houses or just out and about I need to have auto selected to see most networks.

gangstagaff

Jan 2, 2011
I just bought my S3 yesterday, and I have noticed the wifi "death grip", signal will drop SIGNIFICANTLY when I am holding the phone in landscape mode and sometime drop out completely. I am wondering if I should just go back and get another or can I just expect this with the s3. Running a ping test now to see if the wi-fi drops out while I'm not using it. Anyone who has had this problem think I should return it, or just suck it up?

Mar 10, 2011
As I can confirm from my experience it is a software problem.... I was just having that issue on stock rooted and then flashed NoSymphathyDeodex rc1 for Verizon and the signal doesn't drop anymore... you guys should different roms

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

gunnyman

Apr 12, 2010
Greenville SC
I think I have a bad I-747.
I can leave the room my router is in and completely lose wifi. I read somewhere that it might be a Stock ROM issue so I installed AOKP. No improvement. Is there a way, like on the captivate, to improve the wifi antenna connection? On the cappy we could slightly bend the gold prongs so they make better contact with the back plate of the phone.

AT&T has no idea when they will have any in for replacement and since I got it off Craig's list I can't do an in store swap.

mntgoat

Jul 23, 2012
My wifi keeps disconnecting and it's driving me crazy anyone have a solution?

Did you ever get your disconnecting issue fixed?

My S3 connects perfectly to wifi then a bit later (don't know how long yet) it disconnects and can't connect again until I turn wifi off and back on. I can swear it is actually getting worse. My nexus S didn't have this problem and galaxy tab doesn't have this problem. And I doubt is an issue with my wifi because I work from home and I use it all day long.

Mar 10, 2011
Did you ever get your disconnecting issue fixed?

My S3 connects perfectly to wifi then a bit later (don't know how long yet) it disconnects and can't connect again until I turn wifi off and back on. I can swear it is actually getting worse. My nexus S didn't have this problem and galaxy tab doesn't have this problem. And I doubt is an issue with my wifi because I work from home and I use it all day long.

Same here. Im going to change my phone today and will see if the new one doesnt have the same issue

mntgoat

Jul 23, 2012
After finding this thread I tried doing the power saving thing. So far so good but like I said, I have no idea how long it takes for the problem to happen but I will know for sure later today or tomorrow.

So the *#0011# fix really helps. I have two issues with it.
1.- It goes away every time I reboot.
2.- I think my battery is being drained faster. I've only had it on for two days so I can't be certain yet.

TimeKillr

Jun 29, 2012
Montreal
So the *#0011# fix really helps. I have two issues with it.
1.- It goes away every time I reboot.
2.- I think my battery is being drained faster. I've only had it on for two days so I can't be certain yet.

It makes it go away completely for me, but my problem is if I want to flash a custom rom (like CM9) I can't get into that menu anymore, so I can't turn off the power saving :(

bootny

Apr 4, 2011
Just bought the sgs3 for my mom and no wifi connection at all

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WIFI disconnect fix!

A VERY long time lurker here. I saw quite a few people here having issues with their WiFi disconnecting all the time. I too had the same problem until I stumbled across a fix. I found this on another site, but either way it worked for me.

Open up your dial pad and enter *#0011#

Service Mode will open up.

Hit the menu button, select "WiFi"

You'll see "WiFi power save mode", the button under it will say "on" and the letters will be blue.

Turn this setting "off" and you should be good to go.

I take no credit for this fix, but thought I would share with those having issues.
    Make sure your phone is not on Power Save mode.
    In a related note, the wifi tethering performance is laggy, glitches and is terribly slow.

That's weird. I'm getting great performance using FoxFi. Its actually faster than my home internet, lol.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium HD app
    I didn't realize I was having disconnects. I had posted earlier about using static addresses. I set up a Tasker task to say when connecting or disconnecting from WiFi, and I find that it is happening to me also, albeit not very often.

I was so jealous of yours working.:):eek: Again I noticed because of Unlock with Wifi
    http://benhirashima.com/unlockwithwifi/ which is a great app that I have been using for the last couple of years. I had to change a timeout setting to keep the phone unlocked longer than normal, when it detects that I'm not connected.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium
    Where are these settings?

Settings /wifi/Advanced /wifi frequency

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium