Search This thread

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
In the repair guide we demonstrate how to safely tear down the HTC Droid DNA to perform repairs such as replacing a cracked or damaged Touch Screen Digitizer or LCD screen.

This guide will help you to install the following HTC Droid DNA parts:
  • HTC Droid DNA LCD + Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
  • HTC Droid DNA LCD Screen
  • HTC Droid DNA Touch Screen Digitizer

Tools Required:
  • Small Phillips Screwdriver
  • T5 Torx Screwdriver
  • Adhesive Strips
  • Safe open Pry opening Tool

HTC Droid DNA Repair Guide:

• It is very important that you make sure your device is powered off completely before performing this repair.
  • To start you will need to remove your simcard and simcard tray.
  • Next you will need to remove the back cover of the device using a safe open pry tool to release the clips holding it in place.
  • Now that the back cover is removed you will need to gently remove the black protective film covering the motherboard and internal components.
  • Next you will need to remove 13 small phillips screws as well as the 2 Torx T5 screws as detailed in the figure below.
  • After all the screws have been removed you will have a total of 5 antenna cables, 4 jaw-bone connectors, 2 pop connectors, and the battery cable to remove before you can proceed.

See figure below for screw locations and flex cable connections.

droid-dna-written-guide-figure-1.jpg

• The next steps you will need to take your plastic pry tool to gently lift up the motherboard so you remove it completly. (be sure all flex cable connections have been release before attempting this)
  • In order to remove the upper circuit board you will need to release the front camera from the housing using your pry tool.
  • You will now need to remove the black film covering the power button flex ribbon so you can gently peel it away from the housing.

See figure below for reference.

droid-dna-written-guide-figure-2.jpg

• Now you can gently insert your pry tool under the upper circuit board to remove it completely from the device (be cautious of the power button flex ribbon as you do not want to tear it)
  • You can then take your plastic pry tool and lift up the lower speaker assembly to remove it.
  • You will now need to take a pry tool(s) to lift up the battery from the inner housing. This battery is held down with strong adhesive so you will need to be extra cautious not to bend the battery when attempting to lift it away from the device. You may find inserting a second pry tool will give you an equal amount of leverage to prevent bending the battery.
  • Finally you will need to gently peel away the volume button assembly from the housing and slide its flex cable through the slot in the housing.

See the figure below for reference.

droid-dna-written-guide-figure-3.jpg

Now that all necessary components have been removed from the device you can begin the process to remove the LCD & digitizer assembly.

• First you will need to use a heat gun or a blow dryer to heat up the adhesive holding the screen assembly in the frame and outer housing.
  • Using a setting of medium heat for roughly 30-45 second intervals just a few inches away from the device. Make sure to evenly distribute heat to the outer edges of the screen as well as the back of the housing. (Be cautious not to hover over any flex cables you do not want to damage.)
  • Once the adhesive has been warmed up enough you can now insert your safe open pry tool in between the seam of the housing and screen assembly to gently separate them.
  • Work your way around the housing by sliding your plastic pry tool along the outer edges to give you enough room to completely remove the screen from the device.

droid-dna-written-guide-figure-4.jpg

Notice: This repair guide is for learning purposes only and you should perform this repair at your own risk.

Last edited:

zcs72

Dec 7, 2011
Thanks for this. I just put a couple deep scratches on my screen ( they're driving me nuts) and was on your site checking for price,and watched your YouTube video just 2 days ago.
I used your video tutorial to replace the display on my OG Incredible after it fried due to moisture. You provide excellent guidance and products. Thank you

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

RhinoShock

Aug 31, 2011
What do you guys suggest for adhesive for this phone? No matter what I can't get the sides to stay down after replacing the screen because the bezel of the housing is so small.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
Thanks for this. I just put a couple deep scratches on my screen ( they're driving me nuts) and was on your site checking for price,and watched your YouTube video just 2 days ago.
I used your video tutorial to replace the display on my OG Incredible after it fried due to moisture. You provide excellent guidance and products. Thank you

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app
You're welcome we're glad we could have helped!

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
What do you guys suggest for adhesive for this phone? No matter what I can't get the sides to stay down after replacing the screen because the bezel of the housing is so small.

Some times we have found that if you can lay down a slightly wider piece of adhesive on the inner bezel then using a SHARP x-acto knife or razor blade you are able to cut along the edges of the bezel to lay the adhesive down. Take your time if you attempt this method and be careful not to slice your finger. Hope this helps!

Dri94

Oct 9, 2011
Florida
Is it easy to sperate the lcd from the digitizer? I've heard it can be pretty difficult? what would you rate the hardness to replace a cracked screen? And Any recommendations for who to get fixed with?.. Thanks for the comprehensive guide :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
Is it easy to sperate the lcd from the digitizer? I've heard it can be pretty difficult? what would you rate the hardness to replace a cracked screen? And Any recommendations for who to get fixed with?.. Thanks for the comprehensive guide :thumbup:

It's not impossible but it can be very difficult if you are not experienced and do not have the proper tools to perform the repair. We ALWAYS suggest using the LCD+Digitizer assembly for those who are trying to repair a damaged screen themselves. The screens are bonded together and trying to separate them could lead to LCD damage or a heap of nasty glue on the LCD. Use a complete screen assembly. It may be more expensive, but it will save you a lot of hassle and potentially extra repair costs.

Reactions: dreamkiller80

voxigenboy

Jul 2, 2010
San Diego

I regularly use 3M 300LSE tape on iPod touches. They are these really thin strips placed out on a sheet. They are really strong and don't make a mess.

Reactions: zcs72

voxigenboy

Jul 2, 2010
San Diego
so..... I dropped my phone yesterday. glass is still fine, but lcd is bad(scrambled image)...

where's the cheapest place i can get a replacement lcd assembly from? as long as it's oem(doesn't have to have verizon logo)

voxigenboy

Jul 2, 2010
San Diego
Honestly I am not sure. go to their site and send them an email or something www.repairsuniverse.com. they might not advertise it but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

heh... i filled out their 'contact us' submission form yesterday & never heard back from them. tried calling their phone # but upon being connected, notified me that there is no phone support "at this point" and instructed me to fill out the contact us form.

anyway, i just tried the 'live chat' & got through to someone. so at least that works.

onestepshort

Jun 19, 2013
Henderson
heh... i filled out their 'contact us' submission form yesterday & never heard back from them. tried calling their phone # but upon being connected, notified me that there is no phone support "at this point" and instructed me to fill out the contact us form.

anyway, i just tried the 'live chat' & got through to someone. so at least that works.

Oh. well do they do store credit?

findinghomer

Aug 13, 2013
Hi, I just replaced my screen assembly with a white one, red buttons. However, now the home, back, app buttons don't light. Any ideas ? thanks

findinghomer

Aug 13, 2013
Do you see a faint light? or none at all?

It was none at all. But I pulled those reflective stickers off old one and it lights a little bit now. First two are lit pretty decent. But last icon not much at all. It was a one piece guide w three squares, one for each icon. But the third square ripped off of the strip so its independant now. Could this be why the third one isn't as bright ?

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
It was none at all. But I pulled those reflective stickers off old one and it lights a little bit now. First two are lit pretty decent. But last icon not much at all. It was a one piece guide w three squares, one for each icon. But the third square ripped off of the strip so its independant now. Could this be why the third one isn't as bright ?
It could be. It's hard to tell without pictures. Maybe you could post some?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In the repair guide we demonstrate how to safely tear down the HTC Droid DNA to perform repairs such as replacing a cracked or damaged Touch Screen Digitizer or LCD screen.

This guide will help you to install the following HTC Droid DNA parts:
    • HTC Droid DNA LCD + Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
    • HTC Droid DNA LCD Screen
    • HTC Droid DNA Touch Screen Digitizer

Tools Required:
    • Small Phillips Screwdriver
    • T5 Torx Screwdriver
    • Adhesive Strips
    • Safe open Pry opening Tool

HTC Droid DNA Repair Guide:

• It is very important that you make sure your device is powered off completely before performing this repair.
    • To start you will need to remove your simcard and simcard tray.
    • Next you will need to remove the back cover of the device using a safe open pry tool to release the clips holding it in place.
    • Now that the back cover is removed you will need to gently remove the black protective film covering the motherboard and internal components.
    • Next you will need to remove 13 small phillips screws as well as the 2 Torx T5 screws as detailed in the figure below.
    • After all the screws have been removed you will have a total of 5 antenna cables, 4 jaw-bone connectors, 2 pop connectors, and the battery cable to remove before you can proceed.

See figure below for screw locations and flex cable connections.

droid-dna-written-guide-figure-1.jpg

• The next steps you will need to take your plastic pry tool to gently lift up the motherboard so you remove it completly. (be sure all flex cable connections have been release before attempting this)
    • In order to remove the upper circuit board you will need to release the front camera from the housing using your pry tool.
    • You will now need to remove the black film covering the power button flex ribbon so you can gently peel it away from the housing.

See figure below for reference.

droid-dna-written-guide-figure-2.jpg

• Now you can gently insert your pry tool under the upper circuit board to remove it completely from the device (be cautious of the power button flex ribbon as you do not want to tear it)
    • You can then take your plastic pry tool and lift up the lower speaker assembly to remove it.
    • You will now need to take a pry tool(s) to lift up the battery from the inner housing. This battery is held down with strong adhesive so you will need to be extra cautious not to bend the battery when attempting to lift it away from the device. You may find inserting a second pry tool will give you an equal amount of leverage to prevent bending the battery.
    • Finally you will need to gently peel away the volume button assembly from the housing and slide its flex cable through the slot in the housing.

droid-dna-written-guide-figure-3.jpg

Now that all necessary components have been removed from the device you can begin the process to remove the LCD & digitizer assembly.

• First you will need to use a heat gun or a blow dryer to heat up the adhesive holding the screen assembly in the frame and outer housing.
    • Using a setting of medium heat for roughly 30-45 second intervals just a few inches away from the device. Make sure to evenly distribute heat to the outer edges of the screen as well as the back of the housing. (Be cautious not to hover over any flex cables you do not want to damage.)
    • Once the adhesive has been warmed up enough you can now insert your safe open pry tool in between the seam of the housing and screen assembly to gently separate them.
    • Work your way around the housing by sliding your plastic pry tool along the outer edges to give you enough room to completely remove the screen from the device.

droid-dna-written-guide-figure-4.jpg

Notice: This repair guide is for learning purposes only and you should perform this repair at your own risk.
    Oh. well do they do store credit?

no they don't. sending off the screens to fixitrepairparts.com ($6 each/paypal, or $7/each store credit)

unfortunately, fixitrepair only has iphone/samsung screens, so getting paypal credit & once that comes through i will use it to buy a screen from repairsuniverse

It's not impossible but it can be very difficult if you are not experienced and do not have the proper tools to perform the repair. We ALWAYS suggest using the LCD+Digitizer assembly for those who are trying to repair a damaged screen themselves. The screens are bonded together and trying to separate them could lead to LCD damage or a heap of nasty glue on the LCD. Use a complete screen assembly. It may be more expensive, but it will save you a lot of hassle and potentially extra repair costs.

I regularly use 3M 300LSE tape on iPod touches. They are these really thin strips placed out on a sheet. They are really strong and don't make a mess.
    Its in my TO DO list. Have a lot of videos/guides going up in the weeks. The DNA is on there again.:good:

Awesome, thanks! I couldn't wait and went ahead anyway (against my better judgement). Because of your tools and videos I was mostly successfully, though I did hit a snag. Now the phone doesn't have any sound when on a phone call. Speakerphone works, but through the ear-piece there's no noise, and a headset doesn't work either. Did I break something, or forget to plug something in? I have some extra spare parts here from other phones if it's something I might need to swap out. It all went so smoothly though I didn't think I broke anything.

I can't tell where the speakers even are....is it the thin blue bar over the back camera?