Multi user crash on custom 4.4.2 roms (CM11, Omnirom)

Search This thread

Animor

Jun 29, 2012
Hello,

I've tried both nightly and snapshot versions of CM11 on my Nexus 10. I have also tried the nightly version of Omnirom.

All gave me problems with multi users: I've created 2 more users (one normal, one restricted), but when I tried to switch to one of the users, I got error messages of system apps crashing - launcher crashed, system UI crashed, etc.

Multi user work fine on stock 4.4.2 rom (rooted), I've also tried the deodexed stock rom published here, and it also work. But for some reason it doesn't work for me on CM11 or Omnirom...

Is this a known issue? Is there something I can do in order to make it work?
Can someone who uses these roms test it and tell me if you also have issues with multi users?

Any help would be appreciated!

sbradymobile

Mar 1, 2011
Hello,

I've tried both nightly and snapshot versions of CM11 on my Nexus 10. I have also tried the nightly version of Omnirom.

All gave me problems with multi users: I've created 2 more users (one normal, one restricted), but when I tried to switch to one of the users, I got error messages of system apps crashing - launcher crashed, system UI crashed, etc.

Multi user work fine on stock 4.4.2 rom (rooted), I've also tried the deodexed stock rom published here, and it also work. But for some reason it doesn't work for me on CM11 or Omnirom...

Can someone who uses these roms test it and tell me if you also have issues with multi users?

I was testing earlier today on last night's CM11 and had errors. The issue was a missing part of the commit on proper security labeling of multi-user data directories. It should be fixed in tonight's release but you will likely have to delete the users you added.

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_frameworks_native/commit/f2337c9cdf1e167a4a383961755392e3dd9aa3c1#commitcomment-5825564

Reactions: Animor

Animor

Jun 29, 2012
I was testing earlier today on last night's CM11 and had errors. The issue was a missing part of the commit on proper security labeling of multi-user data directories. It should be fixed in tonight's release but you will likely have to delete the users you added.

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_frameworks_native/commit/f2337c9cdf1e167a4a383961755392e3dd9aa3c1#commitcomment-5825564

Hi,

I've just checked with the latest nightly (cm-11-20140328-NIGHTLY-manta), and the problem is still there.
I tried to create a restricted profile/user, and got an error message and freeze. I can't get to home screen on that user.

I did full wipe before installing this version.

tg2k

Oct 11, 2009
I wanted to add some additional settings that may be helpful with the multi-user experience. As described at http://www.pocketables.com/2013/03/how-to-enable-multiple-user-mode-on-cyanogenmod-10-1-and-some-other-android-4-2-2-roms.html, the user there needed to add a couple settings to build.prop:

fw.max_users=8
lockscreen.rot_override=true

The first apparently helps with enabling multiple user (like with showing the users menu under Settings). The second makes it so the lockscreen can rotate to landscape mode, as only in landscape mode (at least for phones) only in landscape mode are the users shown.

If the builds automated getting these properties (or programmatic equivalents thereof) then it would avoid the need to hack them in.

I still don't know whether this is all that is needed though. I just installed cm-11-20140329-NIGHTLY-toro.zip to my old Galaxy Nexus and it didn't have the main fix, so when I create a Restricted User, the user must go through the whole Cyanogenmod setup, and at the end I get "Unfortunately, Cyanogenmod Account has stopped." as described in the Jira issue.

sbradymobile

Mar 1, 2011
Hi,

I've just checked with the latest nightly (cm-11-20140328-NIGHTLY-manta), and the problem is still there.
I tried to create a restricted profile/user, and got an error message and freeze. I can't get to home screen on that user.

I did full wipe before installing this version.

For a restricted user you have to turn a launcher on in the settings for the user.

tg2k

Oct 11, 2009
Well...I spoke too soon, it seems. The Restricted User does not gain access to any apps after first login; I can install new apps on my regular User account and then give the Restricted User access, but when I actually log in with the Restricted User, they don't show up in the apps listing. It does gain access to apps that I give it access to prior to first login though. This unfortunately makes the Restricted User feature useless to me in CM11.

I was going to submit a bug in JIRA, but I'm using a nightly build (I had initially installed it hoping it would have better multi-user support) and they don't accept bug reports from there.

Looks like I may need to downgrade to stable if I want to actually submit a bug, but at any rate, for now it's on here.

Animor

Jun 29, 2012
Well...I spoke too soon, it seems. The Restricted User does not gain access to any apps after first login; I can install new apps on my regular User account and then give the Restricted User access, but when I actually log in with the Restricted User, they don't show up in the apps listing. It does gain access to apps that I give it access to prior to first login though. This unfortunately makes the Restricted User feature useless to me in CM11.

I was going to submit a bug in JIRA, but I'm using a nightly build (I had initially installed it hoping it would have better multi-user support) and they don't accept bug reports from there.

Looks like I may need to downgrade to stable if I want to actually submit a bug, but at any rate, for now it's on here.
There is no point in opening a new JIRA anyway, since there is already the JIRA I've opened (see the link above) on this subject. I took the effort to install snapshot version...
So please comment to this JIRA with what you wrote here, to give more information to the dev team about this bug. Hopefully they will fix all related issues to multi user on CM11.

sbradymobile

Mar 1, 2011

This just requires a slight change to Trebuchet so that it loads the updated app list when a restricted user logs in. I am attaching an apk with the change to load the app list if you want to test.

Attachments

• Trebuchet.apk
    1.5 MB · Views: 40

tg2k

Oct 11, 2009
This just requires a slight change to Trebuchet so that it loads the updated app list when a restricted user logs in. I am attaching an apk with the change to load the app list if you want to test.
My apologies for not knowing how to do this, but I get the App Not Installed error: An existing package by the same name with a conflicting signature is already installed.

I looked this up and the general recommendation for most apps seems to be to uninstall and then install the new one. Given that I'm actively using the launcher I would replace, this seems like a dangerous idea and I don't want to brick the phone. What alternatives are there? Switch to another launcher temporarily, then uninstall Trebuchet, and then install and switch over to your updated version? Or does it involve ADB? I haven't used ADB since I had a G1, so I've had a long time to forget whatever I once knew there.

tg2k

Oct 11, 2009
My apologies for not knowing how to do this, but I get the App Not Installed error: An existing package by the same name with a conflicting signature is already installed.

I looked this up and the general recommendation for most apps seems to be to uninstall and then install the new one. Given that I'm actively using the launcher I would replace, this seems like a dangerous idea and I don't want to brick the phone. What alternatives are there? Switch to another launcher temporarily, then uninstall Trebuchet, and then install and switch over to your updated version? Or does it involve ADB? I haven't used ADB since I had a G1, so I've had a long time to forget whatever I once knew there.

FWIW, I switched launchers and the other launcher I tried had no issues here. I am not able to simply remove the original Trebuchet though. At least the other launcher seems to work in this regard though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,