[ROM] 2.29.405.5 WWE - Rooted/Bash/BusyBox/UV [v5 21/12/10]

Search This thread

Mekrel

Apr 20, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Hi Mekrel,

Its looking like a great Rom, :cool:

My question is this, can you do a rom without "flash, facebook, friend stream, twitter, peep, quickoffice, stocks, etc etc" built in, but possibly available as apk files.

I know that they are in the \system folder but that makes them uninstallable. I have tried modding the update.zip files myself but get the problem that the file is not recognised when in recovery mode. Havent found the non verified signature option on zips.

Dont know if its something you have thought of but, could we give you a "wish list" of apps that we would like "Removed" or "added"

I dont understand using the scripts as i'm a win.6.5 user rather than Android. Which is why Im unsure about rooting the phone at present.

Any help greatly appreciated. And keep up the Great Work..

Hi mate,

I'm a little bit confused by your post, mainly the bit in bold - you have to have a rooted phone to flash any custom ROM.

If you root your phone, removing any applications you don't want is a breeze as long as you have adb setup on your computer.

There's no Twitter, Peep, stocks applications in the ROM, I wouldn't recommend removing FriendStream as your phone will constantly sync loop without it being installed.

Thanks,
Mark

Odinbear

Jan 7, 2008
UK
Oppo Reno 2
Its the Adb bit

Hi mate,

I'm a little bit confused by your post, mainly the bit in bold - you have to have a rooted phone to flash any custom ROM.

If you root your phone, removing any applications you don't want is a breeze as long as you have adb setup on your computer.

There's no Twitter, Peep, stocks applications in the ROM, I wouldn't recommend removing FriendStream as your phone will constantly sync loop without it being installed.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Its the adb bit that im trying to avoid as I dont get the way it works and dont want to mess about with scripts as knowing my luck I will end up with a brick. or doing as you quoted "I wouldn't recommend removing FriendStream as your phone will constantly sync loop without it being installed." Which also shows why im trying to get a "Sorted" rom before I **** it up. (the phone) not the rom. :D

In my signature you will see that my htc Blackstone is rooted and am happy trying various roms but mainly stick with Grzegorz10 as I like his work. Also the fact that you can use various editors and delete "stuff" on the phone as well as change the register without using scripts.

So anyway thats what im trying to accomplish get rid of anything that can be added as an apk and free up some space. I know it needs rooting but wanted to get the right rom sorted first.

I have never used quickoffice or any of the other apps in my original post apart from facebook and due to the way its installed I have two versions according to the settings/applications/manage/all.. I have "facebook" and "facebook for htc" also a similar problem with adobe flash old version taking 10.96mb not a lot if it could be moved or deleted but a big chunk when you cannot.

At present with copilot 8 and 3 other apps which I use but cannot move to sd card I have 13.6Mb free, the sd card is 16Gb with 12Gb free.

So that sums it up, Rooted rom and phone, free from all un-wanted bloatware. And more than 15mb of free space. lol

Mekrel

Apr 20, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Hi Mark,

Its the adb bit that im trying to avoid as I dont get the way it works and dont want to mess about with scripts as knowing my luck I will end up with a brick. or doing as you quoted "I wouldn't recommend removing FriendStream as your phone will constantly sync loop without it being installed." Which also shows why im trying to get a "Sorted" rom before I **** it up. (the phone) not the rom. :D

In my signature you will see that my htc Blackstone is rooted and am happy trying various roms but mainly stick with Grzegorz10 as I like his work. Also the fact that you can use various editors and delete "stuff" on the phone as well as change the register without using scripts.

So anyway thats what im trying to accomplish get rid of anything that can be added as an apk and free up some space. I know it needs rooting but wanted to get the right rom sorted first.

I have never used quickoffice or any of the other apps in my original post apart from facebook and due to the way its installed I have two versions according to the settings/applications/manage/all.. I have "facebook" and "facebook for htc" also a similar problem with adobe flash old version taking 10.96mb not a lot if it could be moved or deleted but a big chunk when you cannot.

At present with copilot 8 and 3 other apps which I use but cannot move to sd card I have 13.6Mb free, the sd card is 16Gb with 12Gb free.

So that sums it up, Rooted rom and phone, free from all un-wanted bloatware. And more than 15mb of free space. lol

Facebook for HTC Sense is what keeps your contact photo's, latest status updates and albums up to date in your phone book.

It's also used by FriendStream, as FriendStream will not include data from the normal Android Facebook application from the Market. This is also the same reason why HTC include a Twitter client "Peep", as it reports into FriendStream.

Facebook will only sync their contact photo's, so that's the difference between the two.

Once you've rooted, you can utilise A2SD+ and the small internal memory of the Desire no longer becomes an issue.

In regards to breaking things with ADB, you'll be fine if you're only removing applications. It's a little bit like using Windows Command Prompt delete command:

Del /F /Q C:\somefile.txt

only with adb, the command is slightly different:

rm /system/app/Facebook.apk

As I said, when I get time, I'll release the stock ROM untouched and also supply an easy to use interface that will remove applications that the user wishes, or add modifications they wish.

Odinbear

Jan 7, 2008
UK
Oppo Reno 2
Cheers for the reply

As I said, when I get time, I'll release the stock ROM untouched and also supply an easy to use interface that will remove applications that the user wishes, or add modifications they wish.

Hi Mekrel,

thats why I liked the look of your rom, also from the quick replys you have given to other posters.

Some other forums make you think that if you ask a question then your a F*****g retard or worse. :eek:

Cheers again and looking forward to the new release. :cool:

dkawa

Jun 6, 2006
It's not a stupid question. According to the language menu it supports:

English
English Irish
French
Italian
Spanish

It doesn't contain a hboot upgrade.

You can use German via More Locale2 from the Market, failing that I can try and add German support. I'm surprised a WWE ROM doesn't list German.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

Does it also have the DUTCH language on it?

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
Instructions for what?? If you don't know how to flash a ROM then you should walk away from rooting until you do...

qwert69

Apr 9, 2008
Prague
how to use tun.ko

You are great. It worked..Now I can try to make work my vpn :D
EDIT: Vpn WORKED!!!

Thank you very much

Hi, can you please help me with the installing tun.ko? How to use the zip file? I cant flash it via recovery (app is not signed; when I turn verification off - no install script). I need openVPN to connect to my work network a and I like this ROM :). Many thanks.

EDIT:

I tried to copy the tun.ko into the ROM (system/lib/modules) and flash it. tun.ko is now in the system/lib/modules, but thats all, I tried to use openVPN settings from market but it doesnt work. I think I need openVPN binaries. I am really noob in this. Can you someone help me with the installation of openVPN in this ROM. Step by step guide will be great :). The phone is Security-ON.

Last edited:

leoking3

Nov 15, 2005
Bucuresti
I cannot install this. Phone is rooted , clockwork installed , but when I boot in recovery it gives me some error like : "CACHE : cannot mount" and something else like that. Do you have any idea why this could happen?

Mekrel

Apr 20, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Hi, can you please help me with the installing tun.ko? How to use the zip file? I cant flash it via recovery (app is not signed; when I turn verification off - no install script). I need openVPN to connect to my work network a and I like this ROM :). Many thanks.

EDIT:

I tried to copy the tun.ko into the ROM (system/lib/modules) and flash it. tun.ko is now in the system/lib/modules, but thats all, I tried to use openVPN settings from market but it doesnt work. I think I need openVPN binaries. I am really noob in this. Can you someone help me with the installation of openVPN in this ROM. Step by step guide will be great :). The phone is Security-ON.

I don't use any VPN's so wouldn't know, but you might need to load the tun.ko module if openVPN settings doesn't try to do it for you.

Code:
adb shell insmod /system/lib/modules/tun.ko

I cannot install this. Phone is rooted , clockwork installed , but when I boot in recovery it gives me some error like : "CACHE : cannot mount" and something else like that. Do you have any idea why this could happen?

Looks like it's an issue with your recovery not being able to mount the cache partition. I personally use the latest AmonRA recovery that I flashed via fastboot, but you can flash it via UnrEVOked.

General
Just an update - I'm so close to have completed part of the batch script that can remove applications dynamically but I've ran into some issues (limitations of batch).

I might go pick up a book about Java and learn something new and make my first Java project a ROM configuration program. Downside is that will take a little while longer, even though I do pick up things pretty quickly.

leoking3

Nov 15, 2005
Bucuresti
I don't use any VPN's so wouldn't know, but you might need to load the tun.ko module if openVPN settings doesn't try to do it for you.

Code:
adb shell insmod /system/lib/modules/tun.ko

Looks like it's an issue with your recovery not being able to mount the cache partition. I personally use the latest AmonRA recovery that I flashed via fastboot, but you can flash it via UnrEVOked.

General
Just an update - I'm so close to have completed part of the batch script that can remove applications dynamically but I've ran into some issues (limitations of batch).

I might go pick up a book about Java and learn something new and make my first Java project a ROM configuration program. Downside is that will take a little while longer, even though I do pick up things pretty quickly.

I managed to brick my phone. It does not start anymore. I had the same stock ROM, phone properly unrevoked rooted. Flashed the zip file with AmonRa recovery. What could be wrong?

leoking3

Nov 15, 2005
Bucuresti
How do you mean bricked? Can you get into fast boot or recovery?

Oh yes that I can. I mean it doesnt get past the android green logo, like trying to boot on and on... Does it contain the radio also? I am thinking of everything but cant find a reason. I mean , it worked for everyone and it seems like a great rom.

Mekrel

Apr 20, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Okay, means you're not bricked then so that's good.

Nope, the radio is separate.

Can you run:
Code:
adb logcat >> c:/errorlog.txt

When you're stuck at the log screen to see what's going on?

You'll probably need to run command prompt as administrator so it can save to the C drive.

If you can, attach the .txt file to your post.

Did you wipe?

leoking3

Nov 15, 2005
Bucuresti
Okay, means you're not bricked then so that's good.

Nope, the radio is separate.

Can you run:
Code:
adb logcat >> c:/errorlog.txt

When you're stuck at the log screen to see what's going on?

You'll probably need to run command prompt as administrator so it can save to the C drive.

If you can, attach the .txt file to your post.

Did you wipe?

Well I am at work right now and cannot do anything on this laptop. I am not even sure where to run that command. I just put the rom on the SD card, after making the ETX3 partition and flashed it with Amonra recovery. So do I flash both the Update and the Radio? Can you imagine what I could have done wrong? I wiped, yes.
This is really frustrating.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Added a script as an attachment to this post that walks user through the removal of applications from /system without the user knowing how to use ADB.

I'm very happy with my purchase of the HTC Desire back in April this year, but have always thought battery life could be better and believe it should be the main aspect to improve with custom software.

I've read and experienced good things in regards to battery life with 2.29.405, so decided to make myself a ROM that's based entirely on it, with only removing applications I don't use, adding undervolt for even more battery saving and adding AP2SD which is essential due to the low internal memory.

I thought I would share it in case others may wish to try it out, I highly recommend the new radio.

With thanks to:
    • Paul - for rooting the HTC Desire
    • UnrEVOked - for making the above easier and finding ways around the new bootloaders
    • IEF and co - for the S-OFF hboot
    • Cyanogen - His Wiki on compiling all things Android and guides on how Android works
    • Richardtrip & snq- - helped a lot with questions I've had
    • Teppic74 - Getting me interested in ROM cooking, his modified AP2SD and scaling scripts
    • iscaela - Undervolt driver
    • dsixda - for the Kitchen

What you get:
    • ROM based on 2.29.405 WWE RUU posted here
    • Busybox (1.17.3)
    • Bash
    • Init.d support
    • NOT deodexed
    • AP2SD+ via EXT partition (Supports EXT2 and 3)
    • Read ahead value changed to 128, improves reading speed from the SDCard
    • Undervolt driver with -100mV on all freq's (Hex edited to support the Kernel from the RUU)
    • Moved hosts to /data to allow updating via AdFree Android application without the need to have S-OFF (do not use the symlink in AdFree Android)
    • Perflock disabled (Hex edited to support the Kernel from the RUU)
    • Updated applications
    • - REM GSD

Installation Guide
    1. If you do not have an EXT2 or 3 partition on your SDCard, create one before going onto step 2
    2. Copy the ROM .zip file to your SDCard
    3. Reboot into recovery
    4. If you've come from a different ROM, wipe data, ext, cache and dalvik-cache
    5. Flash the .zip file
    6. If you downloaded the ROM Editor script and wish to use it - do not reboot and proceed to step 7. Otherwise reboot as normal
    7. Extract the contents of the ROM-Editor.zip
    8. Run the ROM-Editor.bat file
    9. Select option 1
    10. Read the warning
    11. Follow the prompts on screen
    12. Once applications have been removed, press 3 to exit and reboot
    13. If you've not already installed the recommended Radio, reboot into recovery and install the radio

Download link:
    http://www.multiupload.com/SAEPLNMOG7

Recommended Radio - one that comes with the RUU
    32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27

Addons (Attached to this post)
    • Reduce Undervolt - Reduces undervolt from 100mv to 75mv, flash if you're experiencing stability issues.
    • ROM Editor - Run ROMEditor.bat as administrator and follow the on screen instructions. Recommended to run after first flash.
    Hi, I'm here again! Can I deodex your ROM with autodeodex from AmonRA? If I deodex it, then I can remove Application like facebook ecc simply from phone...but shall I remove HTC sense too?
    Change log:

v5 - 21/12/2010
    • * Optimised framework
    • * Updated all applications to current versions in /system
    • * Updated Market (version was pushed out officially, so added it in)
    • + Moved hosts file to /data to allow updating via AdFree without S-OFF

v4 - 12/12/2010
    • * New base - HTC 2.29.405.5
    • * Changed how read_ahead_kb is set

v3 - 10/12/2010
    • * Removed no applications apart from GSD.apk (hidden HTC debug tool)
    • * Updated all applications to latest found on the Market
    • * Changed AP2SD+ back to Cyanogen version, modified by Teppic (Due to DT taking up too much space)
    • + Adding screen state scaling script by FloHimself, modified by Teppic

v2 - 14/11/2010
    • * Updated all applications to latest found on the Market
    • * Changed AP2SD+ to Darktremor version
    • + Add read ahead ("SD Card read speed fix")

v1
    Initial release
    I manually inserted the settings on my Desire. (Only for the internet now) It would be nice a stock room with that "goodie" ;)

that's weird man, I think mine was automatically set up...not sure though...
    if you need the settings for mms and internet in optimus, just create/mofify so you have the two apn's with these settings here
    http://www.androidpt.info/index.php?title=Optimus