[Q] Dilemma: Z1 Compact, Z2 Or ?

Search This thread

SpiritBreak3r

Hey guys,

Have been longing to upgrade my smartphone gear, current using Live Walkman(2012), and I am petty much acquainted with Sony's devices now. My main criteria is to have low profile screen, ie. 4.5 Inch and lower so had my eyes locked on Z1 Compact, but after seeing few reviews on the tube and checking the troubleshooting section of the forum, I am kinda confused.

I do not wish to wait for newer compacts because that wont just end there and I do not change phones frequently as well, so I expect to use for 2years. So would like to know if there's an alternative to Z1C or just go for it.

PS: Would like to know from the owners of Z1C, does the volume boost really have the impact on the external speaker sound? I do not listen to music on speakers or something but I do want to get alerted, If I'm in "noisy" situation or similar.

Thanks

kurikapooh

May 13, 2014
probably wait for z2 compact or get z2 if there's no z2 compact coming..

z2 is alot better than z1 or z1 compact.. since it fixes alot interms of hardware imperfections and brought some good features as well

mugoftee

Apr 21, 2011
@kurikapooh: SpiritBreak3r clearly stated that he doesn't want to wait for newer models and it should not be bigger than 4,5". Did you even read the post?

@SpiritBreak3r: Maybe I can help since I am currently in the same situation. For days I have been looking for compact normal-sized phones. I have/had the following in my selection: Sony Xperia Z1 compact, Moto G, HTC One Mini, HTC One Mini 2, LG G2 Mini. I am 98% percent sure that I will get the Z1 compact. What is important to me: good camera, good battery, small size. In short this is why the other phones were dropped:

• HTC One Mini has a really bad camera, and at most average battery
  • HTC One Mini 2 is too big and has a bad battery (half of use time of the Xperia), also is more expensive than xperia and slower.
  • LG G2 mini is much slower than xperia and has worse resolution (I think there was something else, but I can't remember right now)
  • Moto G is too big and the camera is too bad for my requirements.

They also have som advantages over the xperia like for example the HTC minis have very good speakers and have good build quality. The LG G2 is very cheap and has a good camera. The Moto G is very cheap and still good (except the camera).

In the end Xperia has OK speakers, good camera (the flash problem can be fixed), its the smallest phone of them all, its very fast, the battery is good, its waterproof which is a nice gimmick. Also I really want to have slo-mo recording in 120fps which imho needs a good CPU, so again one point for the xperia.

This might be helpful to you: http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z1_compact-review-1037p3.php
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/si...torola-Moto-G/phones/8283,8378,7702,8390,8208

Last edited:

Rekoil

May 17, 2008
Göteborg
www.idroidproject.org
  • LG G2 mini is much slower than xperia and has worse resolution (I think there was something else, but I can't remember right now)

Maybe stupid back-buttons?

And I really don't get why everyone says the Z2 is so much better than the Z1, all it has over the Z1 series is (arguably much) better speakers, better screen (but not over the Compact, Z2 and Z1C are both IPS) and a faster CPU. But hardware-wise it ends there. Certainly not something worth waiting for if you're after the Compact version of the Z2. I personally find the Z1 series more comfortable to hold than the Z2 series as well.
@SpiritBreak3r I am running CyanogenMod and the speaker is pretty loud, but I know for a fact that it goes way louder on stock Sony ROMs if you use the audio boost features. What is it you are confused about?

SpiritBreak3r

I just went ahead and purchased the Z1 compact today. Loving this phone already, but I was quite used to cynogenmod's features, like "Right top corner swipe brings the quick settings". Only disappointing were the speaker.

I got by default 4.4.2/.757 Build, so planning to root it right away and unlock the bootloader so I get the speaker's boosted up. Did anyone get the boost working on the .757 build?

mugoftee

Apr 21, 2011
CyanogenMod doesn't do stable releases, 10.1 was the last, the closest you'll come these days is the M-snapshots. I am running nightlies though.
OK, I didn't know there were no stable releases anymore. Is everything working?

Don't know about the stabilisation.
Could you make a video on the phone and check if the image is shaking or not. You can see the difference in these videos:
with software stabilization on Xperia Z1 compact
without stabilization filmed on a Nexus 5.

slonn

Nov 6, 2010
I got by default 4.4.2/.757 Build, so planning to root it right away and unlock the bootloader so I get the speaker's boosted up. Did anyone get the boost working on the .757 build?

Yeah, I rooted and unlocked the bootloader and flashed the volume boost zip for the compact located on the list here. It really gives the sound a good boost so it's well recommended.

SpiritBreak3r

Does anyone experience a glitch when you're listening to the music and you make a call, and when it resumes the, Sound seems to be in "Mono" stream?

I tried poweramp and Walkman app, and face this issue and it is quite disturbing having the music switch to mono output.