[Q] <Q> How to root Sharp Sh 12-c

Search This thread

mrleex

Jun 22, 2011
Hi everyone,
I googled every conner on internet but could not find any thread showing how to root sharp sh-12c. has anyone rooted the phone ?
thanks

Giiar

Aug 21, 2010
Sydney
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I would really like to know if it can be done as well. I live in Australia and now I really regret getting this phone. So use to a rooted phone. There's just too much bloat on this Docomo device. Because of the locked nand I don't think this phone will ever see root.:mad::mad:

mrleex

Jun 22, 2011
we are in same place mate. i live in aus as well. this phone is really annoying with junk japanese applications that's never used.

tomtindall

Jan 2, 2011
Hope someone will find a way to root it as well. Want to get rid of the bloat on this and replace a lot of the crappy Sharp system apps like the calendar and calculator.

Have any of you guys got any of the built in market links (specifically Taiko no Tatsujin and Katamari) to work?

dicson

Feb 12, 2006
you are not alone, i am the user of sh-12c in hong kong ....and search the internet night and day for the solution...

and i found this hope .... h t t p : / /i.imgur.com/3daGV.jpg

Giiar

Aug 21, 2010
Sydney
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I also get alot of reboots on this phone as well. Any one else with this phone having the same problem or is it just me. I think the problem has something to do with the phones data connection cause this only happens when I'm out and about. Not when I'm using wifi. But to be honest I have know idea what's causing it to reboot. It's not caused by some app that I've installed cause the reboots even happens after a fresh reset of phone.

tomtindall

Jan 2, 2011
Giiar, try disabling auto 3g/gsm and leave it just on 3g.
Apparently it reboots (sounds like a bug) when it switches between 3g and gsm.

mrleex

Jun 22, 2011
i really regret that bough this phone. the battery runs out of power very fast. nothing special on it.

ysk168

Feb 28, 2010
I guess we need some time to familiar with this JAPANESE Andriod. It works quite differently as compare with other Andriod.(I'd used about 20 models since this year) Lots of tiny enhancements are quite meaningful and interesting. (Manner mode, Veilview(avoid others beside you seeing your screen), extra lock screen for your phone book, answering machine function,etc)

All and all, this is a TRUE 3D phone that can take 3D photo and video for my family and friends. All people around are envy on this and actually it isn't really expensive. I consider the BEST phone on the earth at the time being. (other 3D phones design are truly ugly when compare with this SHARP that 100% made in Japan) I'll not try another non-3D Android from now on...I guess.

Battery is truly the bad thing....I manage to solve this problem with an external battery pack 4800mAh....cheap and good enough, can charge other devices too. (e.g. give a hand to your iPhone friends around when needed..)

Re-booting issue maybe related to your SIM card, I learnt this from Taiwanese users and I'd replaced a new SIM for same reason. Working perfectly for few days from then.

All these are my own experience and hope most of us will enjoy using this phone!

Giiar

Aug 21, 2010
Sydney
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Giiar, try disabling auto 3g/gsm and leave it just on 3g.
Apparently it reboots (sounds like a bug) when it switches between 3g and gsm.

Well I've been keeping it on GSM and only manually turning it to 3g when Browsing. 2 days now and no reboots which is great. Thanks for trying to help. I actually saw this solution on another site and there they mentioned that this is the only known fix for the rebooting issue.

HDD_x8

Dec 28, 2010
i really regret that bough this phone. the battery runs out of power very fast. nothing special on it.

General tips:
-Are you sure that WIFI and GPS are off when you don't use them?
-Have you tried a task killer to check if any unneeded apps are running?
-Have you tried to run on GSM only, to save battery?
-Have you tried "bump charging"? Supposed to increase battery life 50-100%: http://www.gizmocrunch.com/mobile/6754-htc-sensation-evo-3d

Don't have this phone, these are just generic tips that improve other androids stand by time.

Last edited:

Giiar

Aug 21, 2010
Sydney
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Now my phone is on a continuous loop. Doesn't even get into the the screen where they ask for the pin code. Ran into so much issues with this phone. Can't even work out how to do a hard reset so I can get the phone to boot. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance.

xerxesnet

Nov 30, 2010
could anyone share the method here if you successfully rooted this phone???

Sent from my SH-12C using XDA Premium App

stivheys

Jun 18, 2011
hey great info on the power issues and rebooting ive had the same issues my sh-12c turned on and off about 3 times in 5 mins and the placed it did that was while i was traveling in and out of 'dead spots' for signal so hopefully that will help.

Good info on the bump charging i was about to order 5 spare batterys and charge them all lol ill put that on hold for a while and see how this goes prob still need one or two more tho just in case.

Im also looking to root it but im a bit nervous on giving it a go without any confirmations can it toataly brick the phone if it goes wrong or is it quiet safe usually like apples jailbreaks where i could just reinstall the firmware? im very tempted to just click and see what happens lol

tomtindall

Jan 2, 2011
Now my phone is on a continuous loop.
Thanks in advance.

Just wondering, were you running anything or recently installed something when it locked up? Have you tried taking out the battery, sim and sd card?

I've tried several combinations (like vol +, vol -, etc) myself when I got the phone, but couldn't get into recovery mode. Hope someone finds out how and lets us know.

I haven't had any issues with mine so far, apart from the bloat, I'm really happy with the phone. Love the 3D on it. Encoding lots of stuff for it.

Im also looking to root it but im a bit nervous on giving it a go without any confirmations can it toataly brick the phone if it goes wrong or is it quiet safe usually like apples jailbreaks where i could just reinstall the firmware? im very tempted to just click and see what happens lol

I've tried superoneclick, chainfire's gingerbreak, as well as the original gingerbreak and goroh_kun's modified gingerbreak for Sharp IS03, but no success. But at least my phone is still working :D

Last edited:

xerxesnet

Nov 30, 2010
I've tried several combinations (like vol +, vol -, etc) myself when I got the phone, but couldn't get into recovery mode. Hope someone finds out how and lets us know.
i used an app called "super manager" to boot into recovery mode, however no further option for me to try, there is only an android with a triangle on the screen.

Sent from my SH-12C using XDA Premium App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    how to get root SH-12C

Hi, I'm goroh_kun from japan.
    If you can get own risk, and don't care about losing the maker warranty,
    I can help you.
    But I can't talk the security hole in public, because of legal problem in japan.

If you really want to get root, please DM me, thanks.
    This is a step-by-step guide to updating your Sharp SH-12C to 1.01.02, skipping the 1.00.06 incremental update in the process.

DISCLAIMER:

Please note that I take no credit for the discovery of the method, I am merely providing a guide. Props to Tomtindall for devising the method!

Please also note that this was done on a Windows 7 x64 machine. I am unsure whether the method will differ for Mac/Linux, as I do not use them.

I also take no responsibility for what may happen if you decide to use this guide.

FIRST STEPS:

First, you will need the two .zip files provided by Tom, attached to Post 80 . Download them to your desktop. You will also require the Apache Web server software package, and the Posadis DNS server software package. You can use others, however I cannot assist you with correct setup for different programs.

Assign your computer an IP address manually using Windows. It must be an IP address within your current address range. Make sure you download all required files first (the actual update image itself is not required at this stage) in case you lose connectivity.

SETTING UP HTTP AND DNS SERVERS:

Install both Apache and Posadis to your computer. Make sure you run Apache as a service for all users on port 80 (it will give you an option during Setup). They can both run on the same machine, from the same IP address, no problems.

Both programs will install shortcuts to your start bar, and Apache should begin running automatically (small feather icon in the systray with green arrow). If it does not, it may be conflicting with another program using port 80. Disable your Firewall, TeamViewer, Skype or any other IM/Remote Assistance/Gaming programs and try again.

Right-click on the feather icon and select 'open Apache Monitor'. This will allow you to stop/start the server if necessary. Keep this window open. If the server is running, you will see a green light.

Navigate to the folder you installed Apache to (C:/Program Files (x86)/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2) by default. In here you will find a folder called 'htdocs'. Copy the 'firm_update.zip' from Tom's post into this folder, and extract. You should then have a new folder called 'firm_update' containing some random image files as well as several XMLs. The 'index' file also here is not used. Web server setup complete.

Extract the 4sh.jp.prm.zip file from Tom's post and copy the resulting 4sh.jp.prm file to C:/Program Files (x86)/Posadis X.XX.X/Config folder.

Open the Start menu and under the Posadis shortcuts, select Master File Editor. Select Open, then double-click the 4sh.jp.prm file in the right-hand side window. An editor window will open.

Change the IP addresses at ad-dl and ns1 to that of your machine with Apache and Posadis installed. Don't worry about the two @ lines. Save and close.

Reopen the Start menu, and under the Posadis shortcuts, select Start Posadis. A command prompt window will open and should say that the 4sh.jp master file is loaded, along with a serial number (not needed). Keep this window open.

SETTING UP YOUR ROUTER (OPTIONAL - NOT NECESSARY IF YOU MANUALLY SET THE DNS1 ON THE SH-12C - SEE NEXT SECTION):

Log into your home router, and under Internet settings change the DNS from 'automatically from ISP' (or similar), to the address of the machine with Apache and Posadis. Reboot your router. If this completes successfully, you should lose internet connectivity and get the 'limited network connectivity' warning. If you don't, disable and re-enable your NIC, and reboot your router again.

READYING YOUR SH-12C:

Turn WiFi on on your Sharp, and go to WiFi settings. On the settings page, press menu for 'advanced'. Assign a static IP on your network (NOT the address of your machine with the servers), and use the address of the machine running Apache and Posadis as DNS1. Make DNS2 all zeroes.

Disable and re-enable WiFi on the Sharp, and use the browser to navigate to http://ad-dl.4sh.jp/firm_update/DOCOMO_SH-12C_VFizvH5o.xml. If you see text relating to 1.01.02, you are ready to go! If you don't, please repeat the
    SETTING UP SERVERS steps.

Enter Settings > About Phone > Major Update. Select Confirm Update. If done correctly, you will be prompted with a new version!

Your notification will not disappear now until you reboot the phone (you will need to repeat all above steps if this happens), so it is safe to reset your Router to normal settings, and your phone WiFi also. DO NOT REBOOT YOUR PHONE!

Refer to post 126 by y2kbugleung to continue with the update process. Before doing so, make sure you reset your Router to obtain a DNS automatically from your ISP, or to use the DNS servers provided to you by your ISP. The internet connection must be restored for the update to continue.

!!DISCLAIMER!!
    This worked for me, but as always, there is the real chance of bricking when updating firmware so do this at your own risk.
    !!DISCLAIMER!!

The wi-fi sniffing bit isn't needed so I've left that out (it's only needed during the investigation phase to find out what the phone's update function is doing)

Requirements: (If you know what you are doing, you can improvise with different ways to do this)
    - Web server (eg Apache)
    - DNS server (eg Posadis)
    - Support for specifying the DNS server on your Wi-fi router/access point

Note: If someone has webspace and a public dns server, we could put these files onto there and the only thing people would have to do is set their wifi dns setting to point to the server

Web server
    -----------
    1. Install and setup a webserver if you don't have one. (If you don't know how to do this, stop now as the rest of the guide will be too difficult)

2. Extract the firm_update.zip into the public root of your web server (eg you should see files like http://yourwebserver/firm_update/DOCOMO_SH-12C_VFizvH5o.xml)
    - You probably only need the xml file above, but I've put all the other config files as well just in case.

DNS server
    -----------
    1. Install posadis
    2. Copy the 4sh.jp.prm file into the Config folder (Eg C:\Program Files\Posadis 0.60.6\Config\4sh.jp.prm)
    3. Double click the prm file and change the following settings:
    - Domain name | Data
    ad-dl | 192.168.1.25 <----- change this ip to the ip address of your web server
    ns1 | 192.168.1.104 <----- change this ip to the ip address of your dns server (the machine posadis is running on)
    4. Run posadis

Wi-fi settings
    -------------
    1. This is unfortunately router specific
    - On the access point/router you use to connect your phone to, you will need to change the DNS server to point to the ip address of the server you have just set up.
    - This is usually in the dhcp server settings of your router
    - you may need to make sure that the pc that is going to run the docomo update tool is NOT using that dns server to resolve ip addresses (otherwise you'll need to put all the install files onto your web server as well

- an alternative that wssiu suggested is to set the dns server in the 'advanced menu' of the wifi settings on the phone (you'll also need to know what ip address, gateway and netmask to use which is dependent on your local network).

2. Proceed with the installation as per the docomo instructions

Hopefully someone with more time can make this simpler or write a simple tool to wrap all this.
    Does anyone here know how to sniff wifi packets?

I'm guessing it must be accessing some file on the net which says which base version the update needs. If we know the web address and the contents of the file, we could probably redirect the access to our own file which fakes the version so we can update without first going to 1.0.6.

I read up on sniffing packets and finally my phone is updating right now!!! :) :)

Directly from 01.00.04 (without the minor update 01.00.06).

If my phone doesn't die, I'll post more details on how I did it.

p1000688e.jpg

Woohoo!! It works and it kept all my previous settings and applications too.

p1000692e.jpg
    ありがとう ありがとう :D

updated!!!^^

Worked for me on one machine with one ip-address!

SH-12C USB-Driver in the attachment