[Q] Is the 'suspend process' issue truly a mystery?

Search This thread

werk

Feb 28, 2006
I haven't ran it for extended periods of time sans microSD Card. What's odd is, we've literally had a total of what, 6 MT4G's here? She's experienced the issue in all of the phones, using either the Sandisk or Samsung card. She's experienced the issue on devices I used for over a week, without ever experiencing the issue.

So I can definitely try running it all day sans microSD card, but considering she's had multiple devices exhibit the same symptom, all with different cards and batteries, it would seem odd that it's the current phone with its current microSD card. See what I'm saying?

That's why I was so inclined to believe it was a 'soft' issue, since she gets the issue across multiple devices. Something is following her from device to device. Yeah, yeah, "it's her." But what is it she's doing? She's smart and she runs my IT consulting business with me, so she's not completely green.

So if it was a low-level hardware issue, somehow, she is able to invoke it across multiple MT4G's while I haven't ran into the issue once, using the exact-same hardware, literally.

I can't wait until we get this figured out...
ah, sorry. I lost track of your experience...since you have 6 phones it's hard for me to keep up! :D

I sure hope someone can figure this out because it's starting to seem random among those of us who have experienced it!

shlongwoodian

Feb 14, 2009
Longwood
Hey, I can't talk about this issue too much, werk, so no worries at all. The fact that it follows from device to device, says something to me. I thought I was on its trail @different Google account.

I'm hard-pressed to believe its usage pattern - i.e. my fiancee is doing something differently than me. I mean for this bug to affect everyone from novices to advanced users, shows it's not that subtle of a bug.

I just can't believe no one's figured it out yet, considering how widespread it is. I'm sure it's going to end up being the silliest of issues.

Dataman100

Nov 23, 2010
Oh, believe me Dave, I want to get her on Ice Glacier too. This seems to be Froyo related and according to the official issue on Google Code or countless reports from users here on XDA, this happens to Evo users, Incredible users, etc. So I'm a bit skeptical that it will be "solved" with Ice Glacier.

She doesn't like "changing" things, but when I showed her that Ice Glacier unthemed was literally the same thing, I could tell she got interested. She's rooted so I'm going to get Clockwork on for her this week and go from there. I have to gradually introduce it. :)

Oh, I know the type. ;) Changes have to be introduced slowly. I was thinking that maybe IG wasn't susceptible to whatever is causing the problem.

I was looking at Watchdog on my phone. It seems my "suspend" process runs about 17%-18% while the screen is off. It's not the 30%-50% that others are seeing, but it still seems high. Do you (or anyone) think this is unusual?

Once again, good luck!

Dave

shlongwoodian

Feb 14, 2009
Longwood
if you install Cyanogenmod 6.1 does the issue go away?

You'd have to ask someone running Cyanogenmod. According to the issue on Google Code...

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=11126

...the issue is specific to Froyo and at first, it appeared to be only devices w/ Sense - e.g. Evo, Incredible, Glacier, etc. I've seen Samsung owners report it too, so it's difficult to tell what's what.

I'm running Ice Glacier now, but I never, not once, not even slightly, experienced this issue across the multiple MT4G's we had in our possession. So stock ROM or IG ROM and I personally have never experienced the issue. Now I just need to work my magic and get my fiancee on IG as well.

I've already done the standard-issue Android experience @ my G1 and I'm not dying to get a 3,000 Quadrant score. I like Sense and it's really nice to see these devs be so nice, drop constant updates and release an exciting ROM.

So I think the better question is, does it happen to those who aren't running a ROM w/ Sense? I'm pretty sure there are Samsung owners here on XDA that have reported the issue though...

Reactions: jpiano

chiilguy

Nov 26, 2008
First of all, I would like to say "thanks" to all those trying to find a solution to this issue (too bad Google, Tmo, or HTC did not take such an interest). This issue has dogged me from the day the phone was introduced and I have tried all the potential solutions to no avail. I do have a new class 10 microSD card on order to see if that may make a difference but have little hope.

The one thing that seems to be consistent for me is that I will charge the phone, it is fine for about 6-8 hours (with or without use) and then suspend suddenly appears (but not after any specific app running, wifi, etc) i reboot and then the phone is fine until the battery dies, sometimes another 36 hours. I considered at one point that perhaps something to do with the micro-usb port was causing the issue (driver, short, etc) and tried different chargers, plugging into usb port then into the wall, etc and none made a difference. Wifi makes no difference on my phone.

I am very anxious to see what the final solution will be. I can only hope that they have done a better job of power management in Gingerbread.

jpiano

Dec 5, 2008
Ugh . . .frustrating, indeed!! Now that my wife's MT4G is doing the same thing after zero change on her part whatsoever, I'm doubly eager to get this fixed. She's not tech savvy so it's even more frustrating to her now to have to reboot every time a little dog shows up in the notification area! (lol!). Is there a way to get some of the tech blogs reporting on this issue (i.e. engadget, android central, bgr, etc.)? Maybe then it will get some in-depth attention by Google, HTC or whomever can put some heavy resources into it? Then, of course the next question is, let's say they find something...is it even possible that they could push out a fix to everyone, or would it have to go to HTC, then the carriers, etc? If that's the case, then we're better off waiting for 2.3 to come out as that may happen first! Either way, Google needs to be fully aware so it can be remedied completely in 2.3.1. How do we do that?

And HUGE thanks for people with way more knowledge of Android (which doesn't take much!) continuing to look into this issue. This is one reason why I bought an HTC product: there's a large community of great folks out there. Thanks All and keep it up!

Last edited:

crx4xharder

Nov 8, 2009
Interestingly enough, rooted at stock frequency I get 12hrs. Unrooted, s on, stock Tom 36 to 40 he's...

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA App

splackavellie

Dec 19, 2010
Is the suspend issue related to "android.process.acore"? I also get the suspend process but not as frequent as some of the members on here seems to be getting. It popped up again for me today... but it hasnt happened for about 4 days before that.

What has been flagged by Watchdog repeatedly is that "android.process.acore". Just wondering if this is a related issue or a completely different one.

shlongwoodian

Feb 14, 2009
Longwood
Is the suspend issue related to "android.process.acore"? I also get the suspend process but not as frequent as some of the members on here seems to be getting. It popped up again for me today... but it hasnt happened for about 4 days before that.

What has been flagged by Watchdog repeatedly is that "android.process.acore". Just wondering if this is a related issue or a completely different one.

Hmmm, you know splack, you might be onto something, sort of. Ok, I'm no developer, but I've been working with software, professionally, for 7 years. I would never call myself a developer, but I'm comfy with SQL.

So I'm reading Hello Android right now and I'm just at the beginning. I knew of the "life cycle" within Android, as far as how it treats application/processes. Someone who is much smarter than me can jump in here at any time. :) From what I'm reading, programs will not make Linux calls directly. The 'suspend' process is a Linux process.

From that I would extrapolate, that an actual application or how it was coded, isn't the cause here. Since developers don't have control over how Android treats the life cycle of a process and since applications will not make Linux calls directly, something a little lower-level than an application is leading to the 'suspend' process running wild.

Now, what you're experiencing, splack, could be completely different, but I don't think it's irrelevant to this conversation. I'm obviously a dumb monkey when it comes to development, so if there are any devs out there that can shed any light on this, it would be great.

I guess that's the issue though. This doesn't appear to be related to or caused by any applications. So it almost appears to be "out of reach" in that, it's a behavior in Android and how it interacts with Linux.

werk

Feb 28, 2006
I'm on WiFi 24h a day. I have the builtin power control widget on a homescreen but almost never use it since I use WiFi all day.

I'm not saying that swapping my SD card was the fix for everyone, but I used to get an alert that the suspend process was running wild about once a week. My last alert was 12/6. I installed my new SD card on 12/10. Nothing since. Unfortunately I formatted my old card so swapping it back in wouldn't exactly be scientific, but I'll do so and copy the contents of my new card back to it and see if the suspend process crops back up.

Turns out I didn't format my old card. I popped it back into my phone right after this post...so more than 48hrs since then with no alerts about the suspend process. I'll let it go with it in there til tomorrow morning, but after that I need my 16GB card back in my phone because I need my music on the go! :) Wish I had some extra hardware to do some more controlled long-term testing with, but it's looking like I might have been on a wild goose chase.

royhobbs

Sep 26, 2007
Anxious to hear your results werk. This dumb problem appears to be very random so far. I have some days where suspend starts early in the day, and other days where I don't see it for 6-8 hours. Good luck. Let us know.

I think woody might be onto something about the Android OS vs. applications causing this.

jpiano

Dec 5, 2008
Ok, guys . . . try this one on for size. I'm not sure if it's coincidence or not, but it seems to have "fixed" the problem at least for the past three days. I downloaded Juice Defender to ween a little more battery life out of my MT4G. Since using JD, the suspend issue hasn't happened one time!!! As a reference, I was resetting my phone practically every time I used the browser because suspend was killing my battery. I had installed JD on my wife's MT4g also, and she hasn't had the suspend issue run either! Now, I'm no developer by any means, so bear with me on this one, but there seems to be a growing trend. We know that some people who actively use wifi all the time would be able to kill that process by switching wifi on and off. While this is obviously not a fix, it has worked for some. It did NOT work for me, however, because I never use wifi. I'm always on the road and don't have access to a consistent wifi network, so I keep my wifi turned off. Not much help to me. Now, if this continues to work, having Juice Defender kill the data connection whenever the screen goes into time out, has kept the suspend process from running for whatever reason. Is it coincidence that both "fixes" have been directly related to data? Perhaps the suspend process has to do with keeping a data connection open?? This might explain why it hasn't had any consistency with what apps have been used when this issue has crept up.

Well, there's my conspiracy theory for the moment. For those who are WAY more informed than I, feel free to comment and correct if I'm just completely off base. I am curious to see if anyone else has a similar experience after downloading Juice Defender, or whatever equivalent app tries to save the battery by turning off the data while the screen is off. One downside though for those with front facing cameras: with the data off, Qik won't ring if someone is trying to video chat. I haven't tried Tango or any others to see if they work differently, but I guess it determines your availability for video chat based on your data network connection, not necessarily your "cellular" connection. Just a theory, but please try and share your experiences! Happy New Year!

Reactions: shlongwoodian

cabello80

Mar 25, 2010
Hmmm, you know splack, you might be onto something, sort of. Ok, I'm no developer, but I've been working with software, professionally, for 7 years. I would never call myself a developer, but I'm comfy with SQL.

So I'm reading Hello Android right now and I'm just at the beginning. I knew of the "life cycle" within Android, as far as how it treats application/processes. Someone who is much smarter than me can jump in here at any time. :) From what I'm reading, programs will not make Linux calls directly. The 'suspend' process is a Linux process.

From that I would extrapolate, that an actual application or how it was coded, isn't the cause here. Since developers don't have control over how Android treats the life cycle of a process and since applications will not make Linux calls directly, something a little lower-level than an application is leading to the 'suspend' process running wild.

Now, what you're experiencing, splack, could be completely different, but I don't think it's irrelevant to this conversation. I'm obviously a dumb monkey when it comes to development, so if there are any devs out there that can shed any light on this, it would be great.

I guess that's the issue though. This doesn't appear to be related to or caused by any applications. So it almost appears to be "out of reach" in that, it's a behavior in Android and how it interacts with Linux.
I'm also having "android.process.acore" along with '"com.htc.bgb" ...any idea what htc.bgb is?

netter123

Oct 30, 2010
I have been using Watchdog the last few days. I haven't received any alerts, but I have seen the "suspend" Linux Process listed near or at the top on the CPU usage tab. It doesn't always stay near the top of that list when I watch though. Is it normal for this "suspend" process to run for some period of time, without triggering an alert in Watchdog?

shlongwoodian

Feb 14, 2009
Longwood
Yeah, 'suspend' will be running. What you want to look for is 'suspend' consuming quite a bit of your CPU. I have found that if you look at your Battery History, if 'suspend' is truly going nuts for you, you'll see Android System cranked up way high as far as percentage of battery use. e.g. for me (I have never, not once experienced this issue), Android System and Android OS are always at about 3-4% of my battery usage. For my fiancee however, when she's experiencing the 'suspend' issue, she shows Android System up at like 70% of her battery usage - and if she doesn't catch it, her battery can be driven into the ground in a matter of hours.

borodin1

Jan 3, 2009
Minneapolis MN
I'm also having "android.process.acore" along with '"com.htc.bgb" ...any idea what htc.bgb is?
htc.bgp is an updating process for htc weather. I want to say that it's tied into something else as well. It is needed for the system though so don't delete/freeze it by any means. I did a while back and got FC gallore. Same thing with android.process.acore... this has something to do with core Android operations.
Sorry, I wish I could be of more help but I'm not affected by suspend (I thought I was, since I can't make my battery last me more then 14 hours but I guess it's just my usage. I left the phone at work few days ago and it idled for 16 hours and still had 75% left on battery yet I can kill it under 8hrs under normal use (a lot of screen on time). Still, better then my G1 so I'm not complaining.
Good luck to all.

shlongwoodian

Feb 14, 2009
Longwood
...last me more then 14 hours

Yeah, those with the 'suspend' issue are going to see their battery drain VERY quickly - e.g. in a couple of hours. My fiancee can take her phone off the charger and if she doesn't catch it, the battery is done by noon.

14 hours and you're a champ. I was getting a solid 12 hours pre-root and pre-Ice Glacier. I'm now on IG v1.1.4, OC to just under 1.5 GHz and I am still getting well over 12 hours (cranking the CPU up like that and using the phone is only going to cause more drain). That's with active usage though. If I'm at home and I hit Facebook, Gmail, some SMS/MMS and a couple of calls, I can get this thing upward of 24 hours. I have on SetCPU Profile for when display = off, dropping it down to 768 MHz max/min (and powersave).

This thing sucks compared to my Sanyo SCP-3100. I could go for like a week on one charge. :p (Please don't make me point out the sarcasm).

borodin1

Jan 3, 2009
Minneapolis MN
FYI it is ok to drop freqs down to 245 min/368 max powersave with screen of, phone is completely stable and no lag at all. This should help battery life even more.

Sent from MT4G.

royhobbs

Sep 26, 2007
I thought I'd give Juice Defender a try, so I installed it and it seems to have killed the suspend process. I didn't even restart the phone. It's kind of annoying that it's always running, but so far after a few hours it seems positive.

Only this it turns on Sync every time automatically. Don't know if you can change that in the settings maybe...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That's cool that this thread is flushing out other ideas and possible variables. I like the idea of connecting it to the charger for a couple of seconds, but my fiancee is so used to just rebooting her phone each morning and sometimes again by mid-day, that it's easier for her to do just that.

Even if I charge the phone for a few seconds, then unplug, it stays dormant without having to reboot.

Also, I saw on another xda blog (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=870557&page=2) that someone linked this issue to a corrupt photo on the sd card. After formatting the card and restoring some files, says the issue has not returned!

I like the microSD Card notion. This is such a weird issue, that it's so easily associated with other items - e.g. applications, usage patterns, etc. This seems feasible though, but the only way to know for sure is to reproduce it. My fiancee experiences the suspend issue daily, if she doesn't reboot regularly. So, I should be able to take her microSD card and use it in my phone and get the suspend issue. I don't want to 'muddy' up by swapping microSD cards, so I'll try reformatting her card and see if that makes any difference. She usually sees the issue within 24-48 hours of a fresh boot, so it shouldn't be long before we see if that fixes it or not. I can check the card for errors, etc. as well.

I just realized that the only thing I've really changed is installed a new 16 gb SD card. Since then, no suspend process problems.

I'll be upgrading to a 16 GB Class 10 soon, so I can give her my Samsung if need be. I'd really like to see if this is it though. It would explain the "some people get it and some people don't" pattern.
    (Re-posting from the developer's Google blog where others are following this issue): Interesting about using the phone without a Google account. Not sure if this is relevant or not, but I've noticed something else with consistency. Granted I wasn't able to document the behavior through system panel at the time, but this has consistently happened. When suspend goes crazy, I can get it to stop simply by charging the phone! Even if I charge the phone for a few seconds, then unplug, it stays dormant without having to reboot. Noob speaking here but perhaps the part of android that actually logs the battery usage is suspending when the phone goes to sleep? When it us charging, this log is reset and clears the process from running. If this is even possible, then could someone write an app that clears this system log? Maybe by mimicking what happens when the phone is charging, we can at least temporarily clear the issue without the need tovl reboot? Again, I know nothing about all this so sorry if this is all irrelevant. Just sharing what I've noticed to be consistent. Thoughts??

Also, I saw on another xda blog (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=870557&page=2) that someone linked this issue to a corrupt photo on the sd card. After formatting the card and restoring some files, says the issue has not returned!
    I wonder if you're on to something with the SD card. I've been thinking I haven't seen the suspend issue return on my phone in quite a while. I just realized that the only thing I've really changed is installed a new 16 gb SD card. Since then, no suspend process problems. For those who are having the problem still, I wonder if removing or formatting their cards would show any improvement? Worth a shot if at least to eliminate another possible factor.

if you install Cyanogenmod 6.1 does the issue go away?

You'd have to ask someone running Cyanogenmod. According to the issue on Google Code...

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=11126

...the issue is specific to Froyo and at first, it appeared to be only devices w/ Sense - e.g. Evo, Incredible, Glacier, etc. I've seen Samsung owners report it too, so it's difficult to tell what's what.

I'm running Ice Glacier now, but I never, not once, not even slightly, experienced this issue across the multiple MT4G's we had in our possession. So stock ROM or IG ROM and I personally have never experienced the issue. Now I just need to work my magic and get my fiancee on IG as well.

I've already done the standard-issue Android experience @ my G1 and I'm not dying to get a 3,000 Quadrant score. I like Sense and it's really nice to see these devs be so nice, drop constant updates and release an exciting ROM.

So I think the better question is, does it happen to those who aren't running a ROM w/ Sense? I'm pretty sure there are Samsung owners here on XDA that have reported the issue though...
    Ok, guys . . . try this one on for size. I'm not sure if it's coincidence or not, but it seems to have "fixed" the problem at least for the past three days. I downloaded Juice Defender to ween a little more battery life out of my MT4G. Since using JD, the suspend issue hasn't happened one time!!! As a reference, I was resetting my phone practically every time I used the browser because suspend was killing my battery. I had installed JD on my wife's MT4g also, and she hasn't had the suspend issue run either! Now, I'm no developer by any means, so bear with me on this one, but there seems to be a growing trend. We know that some people who actively use wifi all the time would be able to kill that process by switching wifi on and off. While this is obviously not a fix, it has worked for some. It did NOT work for me, however, because I never use wifi. I'm always on the road and don't have access to a consistent wifi network, so I keep my wifi turned off. Not much help to me. Now, if this continues to work, having Juice Defender kill the data connection whenever the screen goes into time out, has kept the suspend process from running for whatever reason. Is it coincidence that both "fixes" have been directly related to data? Perhaps the suspend process has to do with keeping a data connection open?? This might explain why it hasn't had any consistency with what apps have been used when this issue has crept up.

Well, there's my conspiracy theory for the moment. For those who are WAY more informed than I, feel free to comment and correct if I'm just completely off base. I am curious to see if anyone else has a similar experience after downloading Juice Defender, or whatever equivalent app tries to save the battery by turning off the data while the screen is off. One downside though for those with front facing cameras: with the data off, Qik won't ring if someone is trying to video chat. I haven't tried Tango or any others to see if they work differently, but I guess it determines your availability for video chat based on your data network connection, not necessarily your "cellular" connection. Just a theory, but please try and share your experiences! Happy New Year!