Getting Galaxy Nexus on T-Mobile

Search This thread

resynx

Jun 14, 2010
I've been thinking about ordering the GSM Galaxy Nexus to use on T-Mobile since it doesn't look like this phone is going to be released anytime soon. I think I read that if I do this, in order to still get updates straight from Google I have to flash something? Does this mean that I'll have to root the phone once I get it?
Basically I just want to know what I need to do once I get the phone to make it work on T-Mobile.

And I was thinking about ordering from Amazon or Negri.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-GT-i9250-Smartphone-Touchscreen-Processor-No/dp/B005XYU45E

https://negrielectronics.com/samsung-i9250-google-galaxy-nexus-black-unlocked.html#.T2LZ02JWq0Q

Leaning towards Amazon since it's much cheaper, but would Negri be safer? I've heard good things about them. Any input would be very helpful! :D

Thanks!

resynx

Jun 14, 2010
No you dont have to flash. Only if you get the samsung firmware one. Gsm ones get direct ota updates no worries.

How would one accidentally get the Samsung firmware one? By chance?
So if I get the correct 1 all I have to do is stick my SIM card in it and I'm good to go?

Edit: And any preference over ordering from Amazon or Negri?

martonikaj

Nov 20, 2010
Seattle, WA
Theres a chance you'll get a non "yakju" device (yakju** version) that gets software updates slower (from Samsung). You can flash any i9250 (GSM) model to yakju just fine, so it doesn't matter which one you actually get from the seller. It doesnt require root, just unlocking the bootloader. You can re-lock after if you really want to. Once you get the drivers installed (which can be annoying), it takes about 5 min and 10 lines in the command prompt to complete manually. No hackery.

As far as buying it online, I recommend Negri if you value having a warranty. The Amazon model explicitly says "no warranty" on it. Negri will let you send the phone to them and they forward it to Samsung Europe for repairs, as Samsung won't take the phone directly from you. This is for manufacturer defects only, though. If you want extra accidental damage insurance you get that from a 3rd party here in the US.

The Negri model is only $595. The CAN one is cheaper because they get a deal on them and it comes with a US-capable charger in the box (less cost to them). Don't be worried though, you can flash it to yakju the minute you get it. I bought one and it works fantastically. Functionally, there is no difference in hardware from any other i9250 variant.

No matter where you buy it from you will always be able to just put your SIM in it and use it. Flashing to yakju isn't a necessary step to use the phone. Because you're on XDA I'm assuming you might care a bit more than the normal user though, and for that reason I recommend you flash to yakju. Even if you don't want to root or mess around, flashing is a good idea so you'll be first in line for OTAs.

Last edited:
Reactions: resynx

zephiK

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2009
New York, NY
Theres a chance you'll get a non "yakju" device (yakju** version) that gets software updates slower (from Samsung). You can flash any i9250 (GSM) model to yakju just fine, so it doesn't matter which one you actually get from the seller. It doesnt require root, just unlocking the bootloader. You can re-lock after if you really want to. Once you get the drivers installed (which can be annoying), it takes about 5 min and 10 lines in the command prompt to complete manually. No hackery.

As far as buying it online, I recommend Negri if you value having a warranty. The Amazon model explicitly says "no warranty" on it. Negri will let you send the phone to them and they forward it to Samsung Europe for repairs, as Samsung won't take the phone directly from you. This is for manufacturer defects only, though. If you want extra accidental damage insurance you get that from a 3rd party here in the US.

The Negri model is only $595. The CAN one is cheaper because they get a deal on them and it comes with a US-capable charger in the box (less cost to them). Don't be worried though, you can flash it to yakju the minute you get it. I bought one and it works fantastically. Functionally, there is no difference in hardware from any other i9250 variant.

No matter where you buy it from you will always be able to just put your SIM in it and use it. Flashing to yakju isn't a necessary step to use the phone. Because you're on XDA I'm assuming you might care a bit more than the normal user though, and for that reason I recommend you flash to yakju. Even if you don't want to root or mess around, flashing is a good idea so you'll be first in line for OTAs.
Agreed. Although newegg has a deal for the Galaxy Nexus $529.99... 90 day warranty. Negri and Expansys offers about a year of warranty.

rayoubi

Aug 6, 2010

Thanks for helping me flash my phone to yakju. It was really easy I also listen to him and got the Canadian version from negri. Negri also has a coupon too if you google "negri coupon"

Monk4Life

Aug 24, 2007
In the Matrix
I've been thinking about ordering the GSM Galaxy Nexus to use on T-Mobile since it doesn't look like this phone is going to be released anytime soon. I think I read that if I do this, in order to still get updates straight from Google I have to flash something? Does this mean that I'll have to root the phone once I get it?
Basically I just want to know what I need to do once I get the phone to make it work on T-Mobile.

And I was thinking about ordering from Amazon or Negri.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-GT-i9250-Smartphone-Touchscreen-Processor-No/dp/B005XYU45E

https://negrielectronics.com/samsung-i9250-google-galaxy-nexus-black-unlocked.html#.T2LZ02JWq0Q

Leaning towards Amazon since it's much cheaper, but would Negri be safer? I've heard good things about them. Any input would be very helpful! :D

Thanks!

I am on T-Mobile and ordered mine through expansys. It arrived with 4.0.1 and then prompted me about the update to 4.0.2. Also only order from expansys, the galaxy nexus has a 24 month warranty and if you have issues you just send it to expansys and they take care of the rest because this phone has to be repaired over seas for the warranty to be valid.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

evohog

Jun 17, 2010
sahuarita,az
I ordered mine through amazon/trd trading for 563 with 18.88 overnight shipping. Its the European version I think. Anyways after I got it I rooted and installed the kl1 radio and get better reception than my s2.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

resynx

Jun 14, 2010
Thanks for all the answers! Yeah, the only reason I don't want to root and stuff is because I still want to hold onto the 1 year warranty just incase.

Last edited:

Birdsfan

Jun 3, 2010
Doylestown, PA
I purchased my GNex from Expansys for T-Mobile (I love the phone BTW) and I asked them specifically which version they were selling and it will be the Google build and not the Samsung build. Additionally, I was told by expansys as this is a European phone it is subject to European laws and they provide a three year warranty. I do not have that in writing but I asked the guy the same question three different ways and he gave me the same answer every time....

resynx

Jun 14, 2010
I purchased my GNex from Expansys for T-Mobile (I love the phone BTW) and I asked them specifically which version they were selling and it will be the Google build and not the Samsung build. Additionally, I was told by expansys as this is a European phone it is subject to European laws and they provide a three year warranty. I do not have that in writing but I asked the guy the same question three different ways and he gave me the same answer every time....

I called Negri and they told me all their phones have the Samsung build, ugh :mad:
I've heard that customer service is terrible at Expansys though, how did it fair for you? I'm still trying to deciding whether to buy or not buy the phone, it's so much money... lol

zephiK

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2009
New York, NY
I called Negri and they told me all their phones have the Samsung build, ugh :mad:
I've heard that customer service is terrible at Expansys though, how did it fair for you? I'm still trying to deciding whether to buy or not buy the phone, it's so much money... lol

Builds dont matter. You can change it to yakju, and if u don't want to then you really don't have a voice in complaining because it's there to change, but you just don't wanna do it.

And I don't think customer service @ Expansys is terrible... contact Corey from XDA, he is from Expansys and personally posts here.

$529 @ Newegg is the cheapest... however warranty is only 90 days compared to Negri and Expansys' warranties. We GSM users bought it way back for $700+, consider yourself lucky lol

resynx

Jun 14, 2010
Builds dont matter. You can change it to yakju, and if u don't want to then you really don't have a voice in complaining because it's there to change, but you just don't wanna do it.

And I don't think customer service @ Expansys is terrible... contact Corey from XDA, he is from Expansys and personally posts here.

$529 @ Newegg is the cheapest... however warranty is only 90 days compared to Negri and Expansys' warranties. We GSM users bought it way back for $700+, consider yourself lucky lol

Well I'm not complaining I'm just thinking it out loud really, sorry if I came off as whiny. I just don't want to do anything to void the warranty yet as I've read problems w/ mysteriously cracking screens and the like. How long does it take Samsung to push out the updates compared to Google?

martonikaj

Nov 20, 2010
Seattle, WA

As I said, it doesn't matter... any i9250 model can be flashed to yakju. Just get it where you can get the best price (or best price w/ warranty). Samsung will be a couple to several weeks behind, depending on which build you have. Just flash to yakju you'll be glad you did.

Also, it doesn't void the warranty to unlock the bootloader and load yakju. Its okay lol you can re-flash and return to stock if you want.

Birdsfan

Jun 3, 2010
Doylestown, PA
Very easy process for me, I have purchased from Negri and they were good but not great. I would buy from Expansys again in a heart beat especially if you have a clue. Ask them about the warranty on the phone and see what they say.

resynx

Jun 14, 2010
Omg.. I placed the order and then Google cancelled it for some reason. Now they said I have to wait 3-5 days for the funds to come back into my account and then I can try again using Amazon checkout.

Birdsfan

Jun 3, 2010
Doylestown, PA
I went through Negri since I was buying the extended battery from them as well, I figured it'd be easier doing everything from 1 site. Ugh, this is such a bummer :mad:
I had the same issue with Negri and Google Checkout. Use your Amazon account if you have one or just use your Google account with Expansys. Just make sure your CC company knows there will be a refund from Negri. As far as the extended battery why get what you don't need unless you end up needing it?? I'm 3 months without ever having a dead battery, I charge every night though. If you want to buy an accessory buy the desktop dock!!

resynx

Jun 14, 2010
I had the same issue with Negri and Google Checkout. Use your Amazon account if you have one or just use your Google account with Expansys. Just make sure your CC company knows there will be a refund from Negri. As far as the extended battery why get what you don't need unless you end up needing it?? I'm 3 months without ever having a dead battery, I charge every night though. If you want to buy an accessory buy the desktop dock!!

Yeah I'll make sure to do that next. This is so frustrating though, I gotta wait almost another week before I can order this now.

Sent from my HTC Pyramid using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No you dont have to flash. Only if you get the samsung firmware one. Gsm ones get direct ota updates no worries.

I went through Negri since I was buying the extended battery from them as well, I figured it'd be easier doing everything from 1 site. Ugh, this is such a bummer :mad: