Moto x MMS problems on ATT?

Search This thread

youwonder

Dec 22, 2011
So, quick backstory:
got my moto x, loved every part of it except the battery life which was in my opinion pretty sub par. Did some looking around, lots of reports of 4.4 ruining battery life for some people.

So I flashed 4.2.2 (the first OTA with camera I think, file name was ATT_XT1058_4.2.2-13.9.0Q2.X-116-X-17-54_CFC_1FF.xml.zip).*

I god damn love this thing now, battery life is superb and everything else is just as good (cept I miss the 4.4 launcher with the fade out nav bars, but oh well).

However today I discovered a problem. I can't send or receive pictures (more generally anything mms it seems). I've got signal (LTE, more specifically), and SMS/calls work fine.

Tried having a look at the APN settings, but it wont let me edit them anyway, they're greyed out.

That more or less leaves me out of ideas, anyone familiar with this problem?

*I had a hell of a time getting the flash to work. rsdlite 6.1.5 kept giving me an error "unknown adb command: getvar". some googling led to deleting this line in the .xml file
<step operation="getvar" var="max-download-size" />
after which it worked, but then rsdlite got to the "rebooting" phase and hung there. the phone rebooted and was working fine and like hey dude set me up we're good, so I just unplugged it and went.

youwonder

Dec 22, 2011
wondering if maybe taking the 4.4 OTA update would fix it, though if it causes my battery life to suffer again that'll suck.

shkrmkr

Oct 23, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
I'm using the T-Mobile variant on AT&T and had trouble sending/receiving MMS when I first got up and running. Had 4G LTE, everything worked, except MMS.

Create a new APN setting as the previous poster suggested. Could be all you need to do is change the MMS port to '8080' instead of '80'. These are my APN settings that work for me:

Name: AT&T PHONE
APN: phone
Proxy: Not Set
Port: Not Set
Username: Not Set
Password: Not Set
Server: Not Set
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 8080
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication Type: Not Set
APN type: default,supl,mms,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: None

Like I said, with these settings, I have no issues with MMS and get 4G LTE.

Reactions: youwonder

youwonder

Dec 22, 2011
Thanks for the advice guys. Sadly I can't seem to do...anything actually, related to apns. The existing ones are greyed out when I click on them, and while I can make a new one, it won't save, I click save and nothing happens, back button won't work and when I go back into the menu via settings its not there

Any suggestions?

Edit: I made one with a bogus name and then it let me save it, I've since changed it to match the settings offered here (thank you) but still no dice

Last edited:

youwonder

Dec 22, 2011
So turns out hangouts has its own APN settings menu for MMS. Changed the port in there to 8080 and now it works.feel kinda silly bit hey at least its good now lol.

Thanks guys

shkrmkr

Oct 23, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
So turns out hangouts has its own APN settings menu for MMS. Changed the port in there to 8080 and now it works.feel kinda silly bit hey at least its good now lol.

Thanks guys

Awesome man. That was one of the first tricks i tried -- just changing the port to 8080. Once you create a new APN setting, there's a radio button you have to highlight on the right side to select it. it's kind of hard to see, if you can even see it at all. Perhaps that's why you thought you couldn't save it? Either way, glad you found an alternative fix for yourself within hangouts.

Reactions: youwonder

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If the APN settings are wrong you can create a new one rather than changing the old one.
    I'm using the T-Mobile variant on AT&T and had trouble sending/receiving MMS when I first got up and running. Had 4G LTE, everything worked, except MMS.

Create a new APN setting as the previous poster suggested. Could be all you need to do is change the MMS port to '8080' instead of '80'. These are my APN settings that work for me:

Name: AT&T PHONE
    APN: phone
    Proxy: Not Set
    Port: Not Set
    Username: Not Set
    Password: Not Set
    Server: Not Set
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS port: 8080
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    Authentication Type: Not Set
    APN type: default,supl,mms,hipri
    APN protocol: IPv4
    APN roaming protocol: IPv4
    Bearer: Unspecified
    MVNO type: None

Like I said, with these settings, I have no issues with MMS and get 4G LTE.

Thanks guys

Awesome man. That was one of the first tricks i tried -- just changing the port to 8080. Once you create a new APN setting, there's a radio button you have to highlight on the right side to select it. it's kind of hard to see, if you can even see it at all. Perhaps that's why you thought you couldn't save it? Either way, glad you found an alternative fix for yourself within hangouts.